Foderingham is OUT for Sunday

Not upset at all,only thing is Alnwick is no better.
Let's take a chance Murty,and give young Kelly his long overdue start.

We concede too many goals that are preventable. Whether that be the midfield, the fullbacks, the centre halves or the keepers fault I don't really care right now. It needs a complete overhaul and if that means sacrificing an 'okay' keeper for a better one despite a higher priority then that's okay with me.

Alnwick had a good game in a semi final we ended up losing anyway. Its still probably a better run of saves in these games than Wes has ever had.

Alnwick is a better shot stopper in my opinion, so will be more suited to this game. Wes can’t save anything hit from more than 20 yards out.

Wes has improved from his first season, but still ropey at times with the ball on the deck, flapping at crosses abd his positioning at times is atrocious. We can do better.

Huge hyperbole deployed in the above statement, I suspect McGregor would be made to look considerably less impressive than Wes behind the desperately poor defences inflicted on the latter.

Wes is better at crosses, better with the ball at his feet and I suspect behind the kind of defences McGregor played with a better shot stopper. He’s also a good few years younger and generally less injury prone than our former keeper.

Personally I think 6’ 1” is on the short side for a modern keeper and if both have a core weakness it’s their lack of dominance at crosses...I shall reiterate, Wes is a better keeper than McGregor and would surely benefit from the provision of a much better defence than he has had inflicted on him thus far.

The time and space afforded to opponents in around our box is scandalous and leaves Wes way to exposed.

Wes is better than McGregor? Hahahahahahahahahahahahha

With the McGregor rumours there is every chance the club is looking to save him from injury.

My thoughts also. It was interesting that the article said "..the Englishman isn’t prepared to risk inflicting further damage to an injury which has plagued him for the majority of this campaign"

So the injury has been a problem for months, yet only since last week has he decided that he didn't want to play. Hmmmm

Either we are protecting our asset and hope to cash in on him if McGregor is coming or Wes has decided he doesn't want to play in case he aggrivates the injury that he has seemingly been carrying 'for the majority of the campaign' as he knows there is no long term future for him at the club.

Either way, if we can get McGregor in on a free and get a fee for Wes it suits both parties.

I honestly don't know if Alnwick is any good. Looks like I am about to find out.

Nope I remember having debates on FF in regards to the paucity of his handling of crosses and distribution. He was an decent shot stopper behind a very competent defence, but miles behind the likes of Goram and Klos. Wes hasn’t been afforded the luxury of playing in a really good Rangers side where the space in front of the defence is at a premium.

Wes is younger and approaching his peak, less injury prone and better in most facets than the 36 year old McGregor. Therefore suggesting McGregor to be a significant upgrade is hyperbole in my opinion.
Niether Goram or Klos were great at commanding their area or coming for cross balls.

Both were excellent shot stoppers however.

Wes is better at crosses, if my memory serves me well McGregor wasn't great with them but he's miles better than Wes in that department.
Wes is vastly overrated by some on here , for a goalkeeper to loose the amount of goals he does from shots that go in centrally is shocking, yes the defence in front of him is honking at best but if you look at the amount of goals he's lost to shots on target it is quite awful, he unnecessarily puts his back line under pressure too by giving them terrible passes when he's not under pressure but then puts them under pressure ,probably being coached/told to play this way, imo if we're offered decent money for him it's a yes from me, ill take McGregor back in a heartbeat.

We’ll have to agree to differ on this one, I’d like to see Wes playing behind a really good defence, I doubt we’d see anything like the amount of laser guided, top corner goals that teams tend to score against us. The time and space afforded to our opponents forwards is utterly ridiculous.

IMHO Wes is at this time in his career a better keeper and long term prospect than McGregor.

Niether Goram or Klos were great at commanding their area or coming for cross balls.

Both were excellent shot stoppers however.

Absolutely, therefore by definition if all McGregor amounts to is a decent shot stopper...Then why are we looking to replace a decent, younger more agile goalkeeper with a fading thirty something goalkeeper who’s only real strength was as a shot stopper?

Even if we allow for the argument that he’s a winner, how long since he’s won anything? I don’t think Wes is the be all and end all but I do remember him being described by many on here as the best keeper in the SPHL in recent times...Only to have their heads turned by this ridiculous navel gazing and slavish devotion to restoring us to past glories by being a retirement home for past it ex players...We tried that under McCoist’s reign and how did that work out?

Huge hyperbole deployed in the above statement, I suspect McGregor would be made to look considerably less impressive than Wes behind the desperately poor defences inflicted on the latter.

Wes is better at crosses, better with the ball at his feet and I suspect behind the kind of defences McGregor played with a better shot stopper. He’s also a good few years younger and generally less injury prone than our former keeper.

Personally I think 6’ 1” is on the short side for a modern keeper and if both have a core weakness it’s their lack of dominance at crosses...I shall reiterate, Wes is a better keeper than McGregor and would surely benefit from the provision of a much better defence than he has had inflicted on him thus far.

The time and space afforded to opponents in around our box is scandalous and leaves Wes way to exposed.
Wes isn’t & never will be a better goalie than mcgregor.

We’ll have to agree to differ on this one, I’d like to see Wes playing behind a really good defence, I doubt we’d see anything like the amount of laser guided, top corner goals that teams tend to score against us. The time and space afforded to our opponents forwards is utterly ridiculous.

IMHO Wes is at this time in his career a better keeper and long term prospect than McGregor.

Absolutely, therefore by definition if all McGregor amounts to is a decent shot stopper...Then why are we looking to replace a decent, younger more agile goalkeeper with a fading thirty something goalkeeper who’s only real strength was as a shot stopper?

Even if we allow for the argument that he’s a winner, how long since he’s won anything? I don’t think Wes is the be all and end all but I do remember him being described by many on here as the best keeper in the SPHL in recent times...Only to have their heads turned by this ridiculous navel gazing and slavish devotion to restoring us to past glories by being a retirement home for past it ex players...We tried that under McCoist’s reign and how did that work out?
Folk on here said Wes was better than Craig Gordon aswell which is utter bullshit aswell.

Folk on here said Wes was better than Craig Gordon aswell which is utter bullshit aswell.

I think Gordon is quite erratic, at his best he is a very good keeper and on his less than good days not so much...Wes for me is less erratic despite playing behind an unsettled and shambolic defence.

Merely an opinion, an opinion which I happen to disagree with, give Wes a settled competent defence in front of him and then make the comparison.
So where do we stop blaming other players?
I know the point your making but you could say “if our defence had a better midfield in front of it etc”.
Surely if Wes is being constantly exposed to other teams strikers getting shots away then he has more opportunities to make saves and look like a good goalie?
Anyways nobody will convince me he’s a top keeper,he’s a reserve goalie for us

So where do we stop blaming other players?
I know the point your making but you could say “if our defence had a better midfield in front of it etc”.
Surely if Wes is being constantly exposed to other teams strikers getting shots away then he has more opportunities to make saves and look like a good goalie?
Anyways nobody will convince me he’s a top keeper,he’s a reserve goalie for us

Wes is the most unique keeper in our long proud history in that he is playing for a top flight Rangers side which is not capable of competing for the title. He has had to make considerably more match saving and last ditch saves of any Rangers keeper playing in the top flight of domestic football.

I would like to reserve my judgement of Wes in comparison to the likes of McGregor who was a decent shot stopper behind a very strong defence...Something Wes has never enjoyed.

Merely an opinion, an opinion which I happen to disagree with, give Wes a settled competent defence in front of him and then make the comparison.

Having the best back four in history in front of him isn't changing the fact he can't stop tame shots from 20 yards. His positioning and technique is awful at times

Having the best back four in history in front of him isn't changing the fact he can't stop tame shots from 20 yards. His positioning and technique is awful at times
I agree Rick like I said earlier in the thread he just does not stop enough shots to be a good shot stopper, I don't know the figures but it was put up by someone a couple of months ago that he had lost goals to something like 60% of the shots that's hit the target, pretty awful in my book, a really good keeper will tell his players where to be , Wes doesn't, he doesnt command the box and as mentioned earlier puts his back line under unnecessary pressure and his positioning is very questionable as you say but I get the impression that's the way he is being told to play.

Wes is the most unique keeper in our long proud history in that he is playing for a top flight Rangers side which is not capable of competing for the title. He has had to make considerably more match saving and last ditch saves of any Rangers keeper playing in the top flight of domestic football.

I would like to reserve my judgement of Wes in comparison to the likes of McGregor who was a decent shot stopper behind a very strong defence...Something Wes has never enjoyed.
Is there stats that prove this ?

I think we have already sold him,and if he has a slight injury just now we are not taking any chances he could aggravate it and fail a medical.
Is that to far fetched or if somebody has offered top dollar for him are we being sensible about him.

Back