Follow Follow by Ross Bowie - Rangers most travelled fan

MrStruth

An old article on the late father of George (GBX) Bowie.
Ross was a highly respected Music Producer and often sought out any local talent for Music Hall Theatres etc.
It's an interesting article of his experiences of following Rangers into Europe in the late 50s /early 60s.
He certainly comes across as a man living the dream when he speaks of travelling in the company of his heroes.

He was a highly successful figure in the entertainment business and certainly never shirked the opportunity to declare his full allegiance to Rangers.

He passed away August 5th 1999.

For whatever reason his Son George has opted to openly distance himself from Rangers and instead claims to be an avid Morton supporter...

PicsArt040310561585907805.jpg

It is beyond belief that in this recent interview he not only claims he was a Celtic fan as a boy but actually states his father in law was a massive Rangers fan...... What about his own father?

Well done OP

Theres the sun and record massaging narratives and being partial with the truth, thats one thing.

But George has beat Rod Stewart and all the newspaper journos this week :))

It is beyond belief that in this recent interview he not only claims he was a Celtic fan as a boy but actually states his father in law was a massive Rangers fan...... What about his own father?

I wouldn’t be looking to that fucking rag for the full picture on anything mate.

I’ve watched the full interview with him.

He talks openly about his dad being a big Rangers fan and his mum a Celtic fan, so he didn’t really want to choose between the two.

He did say that he supported Celtic briefly in primary school, but that he worked for us for a period also and genuinely doesn’t support either.

Three or four times he says he doesn’t really bother with football and only ‘supported’ Morton because he lived near the ground and enjoyed going to the games with his mates.

He says his wife and son are Rangers fans who go to our games, and it was his father in law who got his son into supporting us.

There was nothing at all he said to get our knickers into a twist over.

Last edited:
Going back to Ross Bowie

I remember reading an article in the Rangers Historian about him and his trips abroad watching the team

Traveling over the Alps for Milan away in 1957 in a hired car IRC

Bratislava away in 1959 unable to get a visa via the club as it was limited to club personnel only it didn't faze him and he ended up watching the game from our bench

I wouldn’t be looking to that fucking rag for the full picture on anything mate.

He talks openly about his dad being a big Rangers fan and his mum a Celtic fan, so he didn’t really want to choose between the two.

He did say that he supported Celtic briefly in primary school, but that he worked for us for a period also and genuinely doesn’t support either.

Three or four times he says he doesn’t really bother with football and only ‘supported’ Morton because he lived near the ground and enjoyed going to the games with his mates.

He says his wife and son are Rangers fans who go to our games, and it was his father in law who got his son into supporting us.

Given how big a bear his auld man was there is no danger he was brought up anything other than a Rangers fan. The fact that his auld mans connections he got a job at Ibrox.

He is a as big a shitebag as he is a let down to his auld man.

I met Ross away back in 1971. My dad told me who he was. Knew he was connected to the Rangers Social Club but not that he was such a travelling Bear.

If George Bowie was to come out as a Rangers fan Clyde 1 would have dropped him long ago.

His kiddon support of greenock morton is the worst case of fence sitting I've ever saw.

Going back to Ross Bowie

I remember reading an article in the Rangers Historian about him and his trips abroad watching the team

Traveling over the Alps for Milan away in 1957 in a hired car IRC

Bratislava away in 1959 unable to get a visa via the club as it was limited to club personnel only it didn't faze him and he ended up watching the game from our bench
Did he not blag his way through a checkpoint thanks to gifting the guy a bottle of Whisky?

Not a mention that his own father was a massive Bear! What a Dick.

Nauseating stuff.

That won’t suit the agenda against him by some on here mate. Apparently because his dad was a massive Rangers fan then he had to be to.

Hmmmmmm

I’m sure I heard that his parents bought the old extending tunnel from Ibrox. The one that was covered in McEwans Lager advertising, and they had it in their garden.

I recall reading an article about one of our players from the early 60s, it might even have been Jim Baxter, and it mentioned how a group of well-heeled business types travelled with the team and had an influence over Scot Symon’s team selections.

I’m sure I heard that his parents bought the old extending tunnel from Ibrox. The one that was covered in McEwans Lager advertising, and they had it in their garden.
Very true indeed , was in the garden at their house in Kilmalcolm

I recall reading an article about one of our players from the early 60s, it might even have been Jim Baxter, and it mentioned how a group of well-heeled business types travelled with the team and had an influence over Scot Symon’s team selections.

I am calling that pish. Post this article or tell us where you saw it.

Never in a lifetime of supporting us have I heard this nonsense. Utter and complete drivel. You are aware of Scot Symon's managerial record?

Never in a lifetime of supporting us have I heard this nonsense. Utter and complete drivel. You are aware of Scot Symon's managerial record?
It's certainly far fetched I would agree but did the board not have a big influence over Scot Symon's team selection for the ECWC final in 67?

It's certainly far fetched I would agree but did the board not have a big influence over Scot Symon's team selection for the ECWC final in 67?
They had a big influence in the players Symon had to choose from with the sacking of Jim Forrest and George McLean after the Berwick fiasco.

He claims it was his missus old man that got his kid into Rangers.

And can you tell us categorically that it wasn’t? I’m assuming you know how exactly how much time Bowie Junior spent with each grandparent?

This is a ridiculous thread. Who really cares.

See if he was a Rangers fan and decided to hide it, I wouldn’t blame the guy because it probably would ruin his career in this shitey wee country.

Cool story and all that .....

Was at my wife’s (no pics) Xmas night out years ago

Bowie was the DJ and I said to him why was he so reluctant to admit to the public that he was a Rangers fan and the prick just shrugged his shoulders

Just read about his Dad loving the Rangers and following the team all over the world to support our club

Ive brought up my two kids to love Rangers and everyone knows I’m a Rangers man and I’m never scared to admit it to everyone

George Bowie is a wanker

And can you tell us categorically that it wasn’t? I’m assuming you know how exactly how much time Bowie Junior spent with each grandparent?

This is a ridiculous thread. Who really cares.

See if he was a Rangers fan and decided to hide it, I wouldn’t blame the guy because it probably would ruin his career in this shitey wee country.
I never said it wasn't. I said he claims it was his missus old man that got his son into Rangers. Perhaps it was. The fact is George was happy enough to declare his allegiance to Rangers long before he suddenly found fame and felt the need to hide it under a pretense of an affection for Morton.

Cool story and all that .....

Was at my wife’s (no pics) Xmas night out years ago

Bowie was the DJ and I said to him why was he so reluctant to admit to the public that he was a Rangers fan and the prick just shrugged his shoulders

Just read about his Dad loving the Rangers and following the team all over the world to support our club

Ive brought up my two kids to love Rangers and everyone knows I’m a Rangers man and I’m never scared to admit it to everyone

George Bowie is a wanker

He managed to blag his way into the UEFA Cup final in Manchester by Reading out the Rangers team.

He has probably been asked that question hundreds of times, what makes you think he owes you any sort of explanation?

who cares though really?
i worked with a guy that knew him through boxing and he said he was not interested in football
Not really interested in football but managed to blag his way into the UEFA Cup final in Manchester..

I’m not questioning Scot Symon’s record. He managed the greatest Rangers team I saw.
Ross Bowie wrote about travelling with the team as a supporter, the article I referred to mentioned that a group of supporters travelled with the team. The player the article was about, someone from that era but I can’t recall who, felt they had an influence.
I’ve had a quick look but without remembering the player concerned it’s difficult and I’m not going to put a lot of time off on it just to please you.

Back