Football books for holiday

Bear hunter search for the 9 in a row players is decent, bit stat heavy but a good walk through memory lane

Calcio by John Foot or Golazo (about south american football).

Season with Verona is good but it got a bit long winded near the end for me.

Sir Alex Ferguson Autobiography is a cracking read. Over the past couple years when abroad I've also read Charile Miller book, Novo and Craig Houston books.

Rangers related I enjoyed Barry Ferguson,Goram and Novo.
Non rangers Gerrard,Neville and Drogba

Not sure how good it is however I've ordered Simon Jordans (ex palace owner) book. Hes a good listen to on talksport so thought I would see how it is.

Temple of Dreams by Iain Duff.
Garrincha by Guy Castro.
Just reading the Pep book by Guillen Balague which is really good.
Was a wee bit disappointed with the Cruyff book, My Turn. Thought it was a bit dry.

Currently reading Zonal Marking.

Basically a history of European football from the early 90s as power shifts from one country to another.

Starts off in Holland mostly about Ajax’s champions league winning team and then moves on to Serie A after the three foreigner rule is abolished and the best players started moving to Italy.

Pirlos book is short and sweet and gives a real insight into just how stupid/mental Gattuso is.

I found Rock n Roll soccer a very entertaining read about the origins and failure of the NASL.
A others have said, A season with Verona is a good read together with the other books ( non fitba related ) in Tim Parks Italian trilogy.
The Glory game was also fascinating for its account of a world now long gone.
I’m currently looking at buying the rise, fall and rise of Serie A ready for my hols

Peter Crouch has a book out next week,it's been getting good reviews.
He seems a decent guy. I think he appreciates what football has given him, unlike many. His tweet last week about naming his new baby after Divoc Origi and his favourite Indian restaurant (despite obviously being a pisstake) tells you he is a decent guy.

As kirkybear posted Tor is a good read about german football also morbo the story of spanish football, why some clubs hate each other the author phil ball is an eye opening one for me.

He seems a decent guy. I think he appreciates what football has given him, unlike many. His tweet last week about naming his new baby after Divoc Origi and his favourite Indian restaurant (despite obviously being a pisstake) tells you he is a decent guy.

Currently reading his latest a very easy read and funny when ripping into other professionals in the surreal world they live in. One classic line on footballers driving a hummer - they can withstand IED’s but you can’t get to Sainsbury’s in them

Currently reading his latest a very easy read and funny when ripping into other professionals in the surreal world they live in. One classic line on footballers driving a hummer - they can withstand IED’s but you can’t get to Sainsbury’s in them

Ok so now finished peter crouch’s latest book ‘how to be a footballer’ - last chapter is a must read for any Rangers fan - without giving the ending away the last chapter is simply titled Gerrard

If you're looking for something a bit different, I would recommend The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro, one of my favourite football books. It's about a tiny Italian team who made it all the way to serie B back in 98, journalist follows them for the entire season and captures the highs, lows, genuine tragedy, shady Italian godfather type owner etc...

It's a great story and a solid read, although the author is an american who sometimes feels the need to explain the most basic of football terns and tactics, which is a bit annoying. But theres a chapter where he describes a game they played against Genoa in the middle of a lightning storm which is superb.

Best fictional football book bar none. Also ‘A Captains Part’ the John Grieg bio which is more than a bit dated but I still love it.
Harold Davies ‘Tougher Than Bullets”.
The first Bruce Grobelaar book is very funny but hard to find.

From Mossilee to the San Siro. The History of Gala Rovers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SAJCEW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_67VaDb45W78NY
N
Ok so now finished peter crouch’s latest book ‘how to be a footballer’ - last chapter is a must read for any Rangers fan - without giving the ending away the last chapter is simply titled Gerrard
Hi troops, (shameless plug)
I have my own book out on Amazon, 'Belgrade to Buenos Aires -Football rivalries on a very tight budget.'It's about my experiences of some of the world's biggest rivalries.Our game against THEM is also in it.Help a bear out if you can for your holiday read.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belgrade-B...0486527&s=gateway&sprefix=belgrade+to+&sr=8-1

Last edited:
Reactions: SSR
I just ordered 'The Unstoppable Keeper' by Lutz Pfannenstiel. He's the keeper who played for about 25 clubs and in all six fifa confederations over his career.

I'm taking that and A Life Too Short the Enke bio.

Temple of Dreams by Iain Duff.
Garrincha by Guy Castro.
Just reading the Pep book by Guillen Balague which is really good.
Was a wee bit disappointed with the Cruyff book, My Turn. Thought it was a bit dry.

Should have positioned yourself a bit closer to the pool, that usually does the trick.

Cheers mate,much appreciated.Some of the stories weren't allowed in the book ,although I think it's fair to say that Kevin Bridges knew we were Rangers fans when he saw us in Buenos Aires.
Bizarre to say the least that encounter Someone did take it a bit too far. :p:oops:

Just finished reading Angels with Dirty Faces by Jonathan Wilson which is basically a history of football in Argentina. It’s a good read and at 540 pages it will certainly keep you going

Behind the Curtain by Jonathan Wilson is a brilliant read. Got another one of his books, Inverting the Pyramid and I have Mr Gerrard's book as well for holiday (which starts tomorrow :)))

Never taken a book on holiday before but used to always take a Rangers News or Orange Standard newspaper! Then leave it for another holiday maker to read!
Recent years just took a Four Four Two.
Got a book called Aye Ready - Rangers War Heroes, so might take it on holiday next week!

Back