Football fans being fleeced by bookies?

They lure people in with decent odds on certain bets. A couple of examples recently have been the both teams to score and the score and win coupons, both these coupons became really popular and then the bookies chopped the odds on all the games. The odds now compared to what they were originally are ridiculous.

Only ever one winner in the long run - the bookies!

I guess, yeah, if you're looking at it as some sort of eternal struggle between the bookie and the punter. But I think for most people it's just a recreational activity, putting a fiver on a coupon or something. Something to cheer on.

This is gutter journalism at its finest. Taking something that's pretty obvious and screaming "shocking revelation". Usually this Tory mouthpiece, like government, urges people to take personal responsibility for their actions. Its only when it comes to bookmakers that it's always happy to "declare war" like the already heavily regulated industry is somehow rogue and ripping people off.

In a nutshell basically. If you want to be slightly shrewd use oddschecker but even then with the best odds every time the bookie still wins.

I will usually always check oddschecker or go for the "enhanced bets"

Will very rarely put a coupon on in the bookie shops as these ironically sometimes have worse odds than online.

They lure people in with decent odds on certain bets. A couple of examples recently have been the both teams to score and the score and win coupons, both these coupons became really popular and then the bookies chopped the odds on all the games. The odds now compared to what they were originally are ridiculous.

I used to make a fortune on double score win coupons. Just look for favourites away from home as recently as last season but this season the odds are shite.

I guess, yeah, if you're looking at it as some sort of eternal struggle between the bookie and the punter. But I think for most people it's just a recreational activity, putting a fiver on a coupon or something. Something to cheer on.

This is gutter journalism at its finest. Taking something that's pretty obvious and screaming "shocking revelation". Usually this Tory mouthpiece, like government, urges people to take personal responsibility for their actions. Its only when it comes to bookmakers that it's always happy to "declare war" like the already heavily regulated industry is somehow rogue and ripping people off.
I don't think your being objective.

If I place 10 winners. They'll limit my bets to 50 quid a go.
If I pick 10 losers they'll let me throw 500 plus per bet.

They already have their margin.
They shouldn't be able to classify punters and offer different odds or max bets depending on how much research you do and ultimately how good you gamble.

They have margin. They set the odds. So everything else should be standardised?

I don't think your being objective.

If I place 10 winners. They'll limit my bets to 50 quid a go.
If I pick 10 losers they'll let me throw 500 plus per bet.

They already have their margin.
They shouldn't be able to classify punters and offer different odds or max bets depending on how much research you do and ultimately how good you gamble.

They have margin. They set the odds. So everything else should be standardised?

No, it's not as simple as that. They'll make an objective decision based on your betting activity. I
If you've had 10 winners on Albanian 2nd division in play, then yes, you might be restricted.

More likely though, you'll be restricted for betting arbs etc. It's common sense for any business to minimise its losses isnt it? They do have shareholders to answer to.

You will never win long term off a bookie.

They all show a profit

That is a hard fact
Of course they do, but that doesn't mean that if you're betting on something where you have more info than they do, that you cannot win.

Those two positions are not mutually exclusive, given that the bookies would be making plenty of profit from other folk.

No, it's not as simple as that. They'll make an objective decision based on your betting activity. I
If you've had 10 winners on Albanian 2nd division in play, then yes, you might be restricted.
Well it doesn't work like that.
I'm talking pdc world championship. Premiership football. And bets restricted to 50 quid.
Then to test their resolve try stick 500 on a virtual race even money shot.
Guess what. They accept it and it gets fucked.
Then when you phone customer service to ask why they allowed that bet and not others. As the paper says, they just close your account for winning too much.
With the greatest of respect, you either don't know what your talking about or are a bookie trying to justify fucking people because 5 billion in profit is not enough as they push towards 15 billion.

I would be surprised if anyone that bets once a year on the national didnt know 10/11 and 10/11 on a snooker/cricket/under or over 2.5 gives the bookies a nice wee profit most of the time. Didnt read it all but id guess rest of it is just more of the same.

People always like to have a go at them (some of the tennis odds can be even less than 1,91 for both) but they offer you bets on just about any sport and so many special bets. They have an advantage with the odds but you decide where your money goes they cant stop you picking winners and they dont force anyone to take their prices. If its crap odds go somewhere else or keep your cash.

I agree the bookies' behave badly. Using online data on individuals shouldn't be allowed. Everyone should be treated the same no matter what they have won or lost in the past, just as though they have walked into one of their shops anonymously.

However, if you want to talk of rip-offs: how about getting £190k back on a £2.50 bet when the odds are nearly 1 in 7 million? Ok, I know in Euromillions etc, that your initial wager is really a group of bets, but come on. Lottery companies desperation to have massive Jackpots is ruining the fairness of the games.

I got 3 numbers and 2 bonus once. Odds about 15000/1 so thats 37500/£2.50. I got about £56 or some sh!t. Utter rip off.

Well it doesn't work like that.
I'm talking pdc world championship. Premiership football. And bets restricted to 50 quid.
Then to test their resolve try stick 500 on a virtual race even money shot.
Guess what. They accept it and it gets fucked.
Then when you phone customer service to ask why they allowed that bet and not others. As the paper says, they just close your account for winning too much.
With the greatest of respect, you either don't know what your talking about or are a bookie trying to justify fucking people because 5 billion in profit is not enough as they push towards 15 billion.

I know exactly what I'm talking about in this instance, I assure you.

With the greatest of respect, you just sound like a disgruntled punter. Losing £500 on a single then phoning up questioning why it was accepted in the first place. Every individual market will have its own limit. A bet to win £500 for instance. So clearly how much you'll be able to bet will depend on the price.

The dont just do this to football fans as a horseracing fan I have been restricted by W Hill had to quit it got ridiculous, same qith skybet, having some probs with PP and got suspended by bet365 my main bookie of about 20yrs because I had an amazing 18month rollercoaster run! They were happy when I was losing up until then! Got my biggest ever free bet recently from PP massive 500 quid kind of shows how well I had done though am not betting much now as the enjoyment has been sucked out of it!

With the greatest of respect, you just sound like a disgruntled punter. Losing £500 on a single then phoning up questioning why it was accepted in the first place. Every individual market will have its own limit. A bet to win £500 for instance. So clearly how much you'll be able to bet will depend on the price.

I've seen 2 accounts be allowed bets of 500 plus and less than 50 on the same market minutes apart by the so called biggest bookie in UK and Europe.
So you're lying somewhere.

Worked in the game for 16 years now, shops, in play trader, elite manager, odds compiler. It’s all totally changed in my time and not enjoyable much now, number of people in it with little sporting knowledge let alone betting knowledge is shocking.

Not a good industry at all. A lot of what people say on here is true, rightly or wrongly. Accounts can be closed simply by poor traders in all honesty, I’ve seen all kinds of stuff go on and just crack on and take my wage now as it suits my circumstances but long term I want out now and I wouldn’t advise anyone to get in to it.

You could argue all day about stuff mentioned on here, like I say it’s not a good industry and it’s got worse with so many people in it who will try and make a profit at all costs. In my opinion if a bookie wants to close someone then they can, it’s all the slow payment, pushing vips, awful customer service I dislike.

Last edited:
I've seen 2 accounts be allowed bets of 500 plus and less than 50 on the same market minutes apart by the so called biggest bookie in UK and Europe.
So you're lying somewhere.

I'm lying how?
Different sports have different limits. Different football matches have different limits. The max bet will vary on them for every punter.

And yes, like I've already said above, some punters will have their accounts restricted as a business decision. It's no great secret, that.

I'm lying how?
Different sports have different limits. Different football matches have different limits. The max bet will vary on them for every punter.

And yes, like I've already said above, some punters will have their accounts restricted as a business decision. It's no great secret, that.
You lied. You said you know exactly what your talking about. And then wrote shit that simply doesn't stand up to either personal experience which coincides with what the paper is saying.

In 3 months I ran up 6k in winnings. 2 or 3 bets a day. With a new account.
I'm a winning gambler but that was an extremely hot streak.
You'd expect the biggest bookie to realise this is a streak and wait it out until I inevitably go on a cooler and they get a chunk of it back.

Then all of a sudden in million quid markets on the exchanges they are limiting my bet to a max win of about 40 quid. That means offering 2 quid on a horse etc. This to you is "normal". It isn't, to say its normal is lying. To think its acceptable to a company hitting a billion in profits is stupid. They set the odds, they set their bet limit, there is no reason why they can't lower the odds across the board if they feel people have an edge on the bet. (which, I also suspect they do, but I've no concrete proof so it's for another thread)

If they are going to accept losing gamblers they should be forced to accept winners. It's that simple.

We are talking about a small hit on billion dollar profit in accepting bets.

So they are a business. And you feel they should be able to do what they like? That's fine. Papers and forums like this should be able to put their own little dent on that by sharing the truth. Not have liars telling them it's not happening.

The same folk telling us it's all fair game.
Do you feel the same with fag companies when they face compensation claims? Or boozers who serve people who are already legless?

My old man has been doing coupons for 50 years and from a young boy he alwys drummed into me the bookies always win

I dont disagree with him

You lied. You said you know exactly what your talking about. And then wrote shit that simply doesn't stand up to either personal experience which coincides with what the paper is saying.

You'd expect the biggest bookie to realise this is a streak and wait it out until I inevitably go on a cooler and they get a chunk of it back.

Then all of a sudden in million quid markets on the exchanges they are limiting my bet to a max win of about 40 quid. That means offering 2 quid on a horse etc. This to you is "normal". It isn't, to say its normal is lying. To think its acceptable to a company hitting a billion in profits is stupid. They set the odds, they set their bet limit, there is no reason why they can't lower the odds across the board if they feel people have an edge on the bet. (which, I also suspect they do, but I've no concrete proof so it's for another thread)

If they are going to accept losing gamblers they should be forced to accept winners. It's that simple.

So they are a business. And you feel they should be able to do what they like? That's fine. Papers and forums like this should be able to put their own little dent on that by sharing the truth. Not have liars telling them it's not happening.

Worked in Germany for a couple of years for their Government bookmaker. We had to lay each account a bet to take out 500 euros and could not close or limit anyone. Got totally filled in one day on the Tour De France as a lad compiled a 1/4 shot at 7/2. Lol,cost about 5k from various accounts. Was in store terminals that like, basically you could only bet in the way you would put on a lotto ticket. If it was online it would have been horrific.

What you say about taking on winners I agree with to an extent - certainly for high grade events etc... but there’s far more to it, duplicate accounts etc..Like I say it’s not a nice industry. You probably got closed by a poor trader, I’ve came in to work loads of times seeing accounts closed because someone’s won a grand off a fucking £100 over goals acca in the champions league like or something similar.

Last edited:
Worked in Germany for a couple of years for their Government bookmaker. We had to lay each account a bet to take out 500 euros. Got totally filled in one day on Tour De France as the lad compiled a 1/4 shot at 7/2. Lol,cost about 5k from various account. Was in store terminals that like, basically you could only bet in the way you would put on a lotto ticket.

What you say about taking in winners I agree with to an extent - certainly for high grade events etc... but there’s far more to it. Like I say it’s not a nice industry.
No, it isn't.

I think people should be wise to the fact that the bookies will simply treat you poorly if you win.
And anyone suggesting otherwise is being disingenuous.
Then you get the "it's a business" crew.

If a bear came on here with a story, went into a famous Gers pub, I got absolutely shit faced and fell asleep, when I was told to wake up I ordered a bottle of champagne and a round for the whole bar, the barman took the grand from my wallet and I fell asleep, so the bouncer took me out and left me round the corner skint.....

Would you have 20 replies telling us all, "well, it's a business, the guy knew the potential consequences when he went into the pub, hell mend him etc, well done the businessman clever enough to make a grand from a sleeping guy instead of sending him home in a cab 10 mins earlier.."

It rightly wouldn't happen, and if it did, the business would be condemned.
I have to say, I think anyone claiming otherwise is clearly trolling.

The same folk telling us it's all fair game.
Do you feel the same with fag companies when they face compensation claims? Or boozers who serve people who are already legless?

Interesting last point. There's more of an acceptance of personal responsibility when it comes to alcohol and smoking. There wouldn't be an outraged Daily mail article blaming a brewer or distiller for the woes of alcoholics. And smoking is now universally accepted as a lethal habit.

I guess with drinking, for most people its a sociable, pleasurable activity. For a small minority its ruinous. I'd say likewise with betting, most people can do it in moderation and for enjoyment. For those reduced to fury and rage and conspiracy theories, I'd suggest it's not the pasttime for them.

No, it isn't.

I think people should be wise to the fact that the bookies will simply treat you poorly if you win.
And anyone suggesting otherwise is being disingenuous.
Then you get the "it's a business" crew.

If a bear came on here with a story, went into a famous Gers pub, I got absolutely shit faced and fell asleep, when I was told to wake up I ordered a bottle of champagne and a round for the whole bar, the barman took the grand from my wallet and I fell asleep, so the bouncer took me out and left me round the corner skint.....

Would you have 20 replies telling us all, "well, it's a business, the guy knew the potential consequences when he went into the pub, hell mend him etc, well done the businessman clever enough to make a grand from a sleeping guy instead of sending him home in a cab 10 mins earlier.."

It rightly wouldn't happen, and if it did, the business would be condemned.
I have to say, I think anyone claiming otherwise is clearly trolling.

Like I say it’s poor to not take on certain winners but there’s all kinds of reasons some winners aren’t kept on and the biggest is poor traders. Nonetheless if someone does win but is closed they deserve to be paid up straight away, same as a new account does. Not be stalled etc.. Could go on all day about bloody matched betting, arbers etc... but that’s a battle people want, lol, it’s not meant to be easy making risk free money at the end of the day in any walk of life.

The stuff that goes on with big losers/vips etc is shocking. Won’t go in to it but like I say it’s not a nice industry.

Last edited:

That's not what he said at all. The phone call in his example was about the £50 bets being declined.

In your other posts it looks like you skimmed a couple of sentences and completely missed the point of the article.

Are you being this obtuse on purpose?

Interesting last point. There's more of an acceptance of personal responsibility when it comes to alcohol and smoking. There wouldn't be an outraged Daily mail article blaming a brewer or distiller for the woes of alcoholics. And smoking is now universally accepted as a lethal habit.

I guess with drinking, for most people its a sociable, pleasurable activity. For a small minority its ruinous. I'd say likewise with betting, most people can do it in moderation and for enjoyment. For those reduced to fury and rage and conspiracy theories, I'd suggest it's not the pasttime for them.

“Fury rage” I would add near bankruptcy for some!!

You come across as pretty condescending on this subject if I’m being honest

Yes bookies will always win but to do that they are quite happy to accept everything from those who lose

They give lip service to stuff, “when the fun stops, stop” shit but couldn’t care less, as long as they are winning

That's not what he said at all. The phone call in his example was about the £50 bets being declined.

In your other posts it looks like you skimmed a couple of sentences and completely missed the point of the article.

Are you being this obtuse on purpose?

I'm not being obtuse in the slightest. I addressed the point about his phone call, which is to say different markets and different sports have different limits. I also acknowledged that his account may have been restricted.

I guess the bone of contention is that- restricted accounts. Some people seem to have an issue with that and I'm not quite sure why. I'm sure if you had shares in a company you'd be aghast if they weren't protecting their profits.

By the odds I take it you mean the overround? What was it? 102% and now 107% or something?

Can remember betfred being daft by never changing yes on the btts combo coupons years ago on certain matches (when no wasn’t an option on them) so in reality certain matches would be 1/2 yes but Fred was 5/6 yes if it was done as a treble. Stupid thing to do from him full stop.

By the odds I take it you mean the overround? What was it? 102% and now 107% or something?

Can remember betfred being daft by never changing yes on the combo coupons years ago on certain matches (when no wasn’t an option on them) so in reality certain matches would be 1/2 yes but Fred was 5/6 yes if it was done as a treble. Stupid thing to do from him full stop.

The btts for instance, the odds were even money, 11/10 etc. Now you are lucky to see anything better than 8/11 for a btts. Obviously there are exceptions, but generally the odds have been cut.

The btts for instance, the odds were even money, 11/10 etc. Now you are lucky to see anything better than 8/11 for a btts. Obviously there are exceptions, but generally the odds have been cut.

Is this where NO is not an option? Basically you can only bet YES?
Not being rude like but it’s amazing how many people don’t know that you can bet NO for Both Teams To Score. So if YES is 1/2, then really they should be offering 6/4 NO. If the coupon is only for YES then the prices will be shorter as a course of pisstake really.

Is this where NO is not an option? Basically you can only bet YES?

I’ve not done any of them for a while, but I’m sure there was a yes and no option. I mostly do over 2.5 goals now, but they are going the same way.

I like doing the bookies fixed odds football coupons in the betting shops

but I generally find the fixed odds have changed when I put the line on in the betting shop.
Every fixed odds coupon I seem to put on in the betting shop has a price change, that is only is advertised at the point the coupon is put on - not exactly fixed odds then is it

Back