Football Grounds of Scotland: Dunterlie Park, Barrhead. Home of Arthurlie FC. Capacity 4,000.

Spent many a Saturday down there when the Gers we’re away.
Remember we played the Bot in the QF of the junior cup back in the late 80s early 90s .
4500 all ticket. When the Lie were Renfrewshire’s best supported team.
You had guys like Family Bam down , roaring the boys on!! No , I’ve just taken that too far!!!

Soon to be no more.

Allegedly the current committee have agreed to sell the land to the council for housing.
Whatever anyone's thoughts are on the club, after nearly a hundred years at Dunterlie it would be a sad day for their community.

I remember going to watch Talbot play there in a Junior cup game that was all ticket :oops:

Soon to be no more.

Allegedly the current committee have agreed to sell the land to the council for housing.
Whatever anyone's thoughts are on the club, after nearly a hundred years at Dunterlie it would be a sad day for their community.

Where are they going to move to?

Soon to be no more.

Despite being a Neilston boy this would be a shame.

Last edited:
Grew up in ‘Borrheid’ and stood on that terrace 100s of times. Played, and won my first final at Dunterlie as a kid

Doon the bottom scheme!!

They both deserve one another.:p

That’s mental. The current ground is across the road from the railway station and the main bus route to Paisley and Neilston. That’s why they were quite well supported by people outside the town, an easy ground to get to.
Where down the bottom scheme? At the old Astro turf pitch that was always getting wrecked. No pints at half time then.

We fu.cked the local bigot factory 5 - 2 many years ago there in a cup final and yours truly scored.
A Barrhead institution which has been let down by a variety of rogues.
So true. I now go to follow Beith if I am not watching Rangers because of a family member was let badly down by some on the board. Went to Dunterlie last year for the first time in years last season and its falling apart. The score in my final was 5-2 incidentally

Lived up the road from the ground in 67 (yes I know) watched Arthurlie quite a few times. Still look for their results. Did P4 at Arthurlie.
If memory serves there were quite a few battles between the Bowery Boys and the Neilston Gang (can't remember their name)

Lived up the road from the ground in 67 (yes I know) watched Arthurlie quite a few times. Still look for their results. Did P4 at Arthurlie.
If memory serves there were quite a few battles between the Bowery Boys and the Neilston Gang (can't remember their name)
I was never involved but the local gangs from my era were the Bowery from Bower Walls (?) and the Skull from Auchenback. The Neilston gangs were the Panda and the Young Neil. It’s funny how you remember these things from nearly 50 years ago. Reading this thread it makes my old heart proud that there are still good Bears in Nulson and Borrheid

Work with a wee older guy who is a regular to watch Arthurlie.
Know a couple of characters from the Barrhead/Neilston area.

I’m another who grew up in Barrhead and have attended at Dunterlie periodically down the decades. Sad to hear they are in a state nowadays.

I was never involved but the local gangs from my era were the Bowery from Bower Walls (?) and the Skull from Auchenback. The Neilston gangs were the Panda and the Young Neil. It’s funny how you remember these things from nearly 50 years ago. Reading this thread it makes my old heart proud that there are still good Bears in Nulson and Borrheid
In the mid 80s the local gangs were:
YB (Young Bowery) botten scheme.
YNT (Young Newton Team) Auchenback
YRT (Young Riot Team) centre.
The YNT were probably the most fierce then.

Soon to be no more.

Dirty bastards have been trying this for years. Obviously managed to place sympathetic people on the board now. My old man stopped going after being involved with Arthurlie most of his life because of the way it's being run now.
Any of the committee members that sign off on this are not doing so to benefit Arthurlie.

Great memories for me when younger. Remember being there for a semi final of Scottish cup V Pollok, place was a 4k sell out and everyone stopped what they were doing at HT to listen to grand national on the tannoy. Think it was party politics who won.
Also played and scored on it a few times for barrhead boys club in finals.
Would be really sad to lose the place.

Another Neilstoner here be sad to see it go spent many away days in that shed following the farmers boys! FTL

That’s mental. The current ground is across the road from the railway station and the main bus route to Paisley and Neilston. That’s why they were quite well supported by people outside the town, an easy ground to get to.
Where down the bottom scheme? At the old Astro turf pitch that was always getting wrecked. No pints at half time then.
If they take the Astro and the hall away. There is at least double the land around it so plenty of room. There used to be a football pitch there when I lived in there. I am sure any visitors to the scheme will receive a warm Borrheid welcome.

4000 capacity maybe in the 50,s H & S wouldn’t allow anywhere near that
Did the council not pay for the new boundary wall a few years back , like any junior club if you move your basically fkd , the “ problems “ at the social club and bad manager choices have come home to roost

If they take the Astro and the hall away. There is at least double the land around it so plenty of room. There used to be a football pitch there when I lived in there. I am sure any visitors to the scheme will receive a warm Borrheid welcome.

But J , they are perfectly located where they are. Station, bus stops and a choice of 2 pubs for pre, post and HT entertainment.
Even Borrheid folk will receive a warm welcome down there !!!!!

4000 capacity maybe in the 50,s H & S wouldn’t allow anywhere near that
Did the council not pay for the new boundary wall a few years back , like any junior club if you move your basically fkd , the “ problems “ at the social club and bad manager choices have come home to roost

There were 15k in there against Ashfield on the 60s, Talbot all ticket game in the 80s was 4500, and there was a Pollok cup QF in the 80/90s with 6000.

But J , they are perfectly located where they are. Station, bus stops and a choice of 2 pubs for pre, post and HT entertainment.
Even Borrheid folk will receive a warm welcome down there !!!!!
I agree mate it is in the best place where it is. You have all the transport links and for locals and visitors plenty of pubs [ one that you and I know well ] and BCs nearby. To take it down to the scheme would be crazy. There would be nothing nearby. I would hope the supporters put a stop to it.

As a Neilston man, that gives me any excuse for an old joke.

There are only 3 words in the English language that have the letters “rrh” together: gonorrhoea, diarrhoea and Barrhead.

Occasionally go to support Arthurlie. Hope the ground isn’t sold.
I had to steal this for Facebook!

Soon to be no more.

Barrhead has failed the 'lie, financially & otherwise since I started going in 1986. We can't afford to upgrade this smashing wee ground. Watched Beith v Talbot today. Both deserve huge credit for what they've achieved with community & business support.

I believe the 2018/19 committee saved 'lie from collapse. Dunky Sinclair prevented much predicted successive relegations. The clubs problems are systemic, historic, chronic & accelerated by the Social Club alienation. Many Juniors are struggling. Re-located, soul-less, plastic-pitches won't save our wee game. Conversely, New Tinto & reworked Townhead are brilliant.

Back