Football Insider - Dire Mebude (younger brother of Dapo) going to Man City

The academy can't be doing too bad at the moment if Dire is away to city, NYC away to West Ham, Gilmour to Chelsea.

Of course i'd love these young talents to stay and try break into the first team but nothing can be done if premier league teams come calling.
We produce the players, despite the mantra “if they’re good enough, they’ll play”. Its just not true.

I wasn't overly concerned about the odd Academy prospect moving on - it's football, it happens, the bright lights of the EPL are hard to ignore. I must admit though to being a tad concerned at the spate of departures - or rumoured departures - in recent weeks of some of our supposedly top talent. Kai Kennedy, Nathan Young Coombes and now Dire Mebude.

But I don't think it's all bad. We've also added some highly rated talent in Charlie Lindsay, James Graham and Tony Weston in the same period. So it's not one way traffic by any means.

Based on what I've read (and zero actual knowledge whatsoever), would it be fair to say that the 3 incoming players are rated at least as highly, if not more, than those heading out?

We produce the players, despite the mantra “if they’re good enough, they’ll play”. Its just not true.
I think Gilmour could have been an exception here if he had stayed. The boy is going to be a superstar IMO.

I wasn't overly concerned about the odd Academy prospect moving on - it's football, it happens, the bright lights of the EPL are hard to ignore. I must admit though to being a tad concerned at the spate of departures - or rumoured departures - in recent weeks of some of our supposedly top talent. Kai Kennedy, Nathan Young Coombes and now Dire Mebude.

But I don't think it's all bad. We've also added some highly rated talent in Charlie Lindsay, James Graham and Tony Weston in the same period. So it's not one way traffic by any means.

Based on what I've read (and zero actual knowledge whatsoever), would it be fair to say that the 3 incoming players are rated at least as highly, if not more, than those heading out?
Don’t think its very fair to compare, not many will be able to give you a definitive answer to that question.

This is where something needs to change across the board. Whether it’s us doing it, or Man City doing it, it’s unacceptable.

There simply needs to be more protection for the development club.

Don’t think its very fair to compare, not many will be able to give you a definitive answer to that question.

Probably not, true. I suppose I wanted to make the point that it's a two way street. As much as we are seeing talent leave the Academy, we are also recruiting decent talent into it. It's always been thus, so I think some of the overly panicky responses to departures are a little unnecessary.

Sorry, wasn’t having a go mate.

By the sound of things though, Dire has less quality than Dapo at the same age. Good luck to the boy.

Why would Man City want him then?

I always thought having an academy was a good idea and a must for every club but tbh now I'm not so sure. If we have talented players then big clubs can take them (Gilmour and Mebude) and the players we're developing are nowhere near good enough to play 1st team. So it'd be interesting to see how much money is put into it every year without any real results.

They are all promising players and it will be a shame to see them go. Its a long way from that to saying any of them are ready for the Rangers first team. None of the names you mention will be playing regular first team football for anybody in the next two years.
Exactly .hence why they leave.

This is where something needs to change across the board. Whether it’s us doing it, or Man City doing it, it’s unacceptable.

There simply needs to be more protection for the development club.

FIFA's Training Compensation and Solidarity Mechanism is intended to do that (see the thread about Medellin getting a cut of the Morelos transfer). The sums involved though are relatively small. However, we should remember that Gilmour is very much the exception. Most of these young guys moving on at u18 will disappear never to be heard of again. The odds on success are very, very small.

Why would Man City want him then?

I always thought having an academy was a good idea and a must for every club but tbh now I'm not so sure. If we have talented players then big clubs can take them (Gilmour and Mebude) and the players we're developing are nowhere near good enough to play 1st team. So it'd be interesting to see how much money is put into it every year without any real results.
Interesting thst you don’t think theres is a middle ground between being wanted by Chelsea/Man City and not being good enough for Rangers.

The academy can't be doing too bad at the moment if Dire is away to city, NYC away to West Ham, Gilmour to Chelsea.

Of course i'd love these young talents to stay and try break into the first team but nothing can be done if premier league teams come calling.
It can -play them like all other clubs do

Reactions: MSF
Exactly .hence why they leave.

You've lost me there mate. I've said they are not good enough to play for Rangers first team right now and neither are they good enough to play for any other big clubs first team. They may well be in the future, of course. However, none of the players you mention will be regulars for their new clubs, if/when they move, in the next 2 years. They've a lot of developing to do yet and should be going out on loan to help do so.

IMO these new lads were sold the dream and bought it.

Swings in roundabouts this. Rangers don’t lose many, the others mob lose a few but it now looks like rangers are also signing others with Weston today the boy from Ross county already coming and Charlie from
Northern Ireland. Paterson now in the first team squad. Keep in going Rangers. More exciting than the Sinclair days

You've lost me there mate. I've said they are not good enough to play for Rangers first team right now and neither are they good enough to play for any other big clubs first team. They may well be in the future, of course. However, none of the players you mention will be regulars for their new clubs, if/when they move, in the next 2 years. They've a lot of developing to do yet and should be going out on loan to help do so.
Sorry mate pick up wrong quote,the lads know 100%theyre never getting a shot with us therefore take a chance elsewhere as it's more likely tbh,unfair to blame boys for trying somewhere else which they have better chance IMO

Aren't the rumoured English clubs selling them exactly the same dream? If they've found it tough at Rangers they are about to find it a whole lot tougher at the likes of Man City. They'll have a bit more money though.
U might be right but the quality is so much higher and the window to a better move is potentially there rather than stenny being there like if you leave us at 22 without doing much in the game .

Most clubs tend to have one or two youth players breaking through each season, we're lucky if they play one cup game against Stranraer.

A mixture of the bigger clubs poaching our best prospects and our total lack of balls to give them a proper chance I don't think we'd even notice if we didn't have an academy.

The mental thing is Gilmour wouldn't have kicked a ball for us last season but he's strolling EPL games, you can't tell me there's more pressure playing at Tynecastle than Anfield.

As much as we go on about it there isn't really a clear pathway to the first team.
Most teams don't go through what we have over the last 10 years or so and having the academy ruined and neglected for years

Celtic recently lost a 16 year old winger to City as well, Josh Adams I think his name was. They also lost one to Bayern a year or so ago.

I think it’s just the way things are now, and until some legislation is brought in against teams stockpiling youth (as we admittedly do as well), it will continue to happen.

in your valued opinion why are they leaving ?

At the moment nobody has left, but there is no smoke without fire.

Probably a variety of reasons, none more so that the current situation. Its an important time for young players at 16 through to 21. For most of them they don't know where and when their next game will be.

Its more likely the U18 and U23 leagues will happen in England, U18 league must be in doubt here with rumours of a couple of academies being mothballed. Clubs like Man City have loads of close by options for bounce games, where are we might play Queens Park and Thistle sometime in 2021.

Probably a variety of reasons, none more so that the current situation. Its an important time for young players at 16 through to 21. For most of them they don't know where and when their next game will be.

Its more likely the U18 and U23 leagues will happen in England, U18 league must be in doubt here with rumours of a couple of academies being mothballed. Clubs like Man City have loads of close by options for bounce games, where are we might play Queens Park and Thistle sometime in 2021.

if it’s that grim , hats off to the staff who can convince any young player to sign with very little promise of games or decent opposition.

Most teams don't go through what we have over the last 10 years or so and having the academy ruined and neglected for years

Don't think that argument is valid here.

Our neglected youth set up was probably better than most teams in Britain but other teams do it better.

Craig Mulholland can talk a good game he always has, not actually very good at anything though.

Interesting thst you don’t think theres is a middle ground between being wanted by Chelsea/Man City and not being good enough for Rangers.

Well there is, but what good is that to us?

An example being that we offered Barjonas a one year extension yet the rumour is we're about to loan him out again for a season - at which point he'll be out of contract again. What's the point in that?

I'd understand if we were producing players then selling them on for decent money or getting them first team action - but we're doing neither. We boast about how they win under 19 cups or whatever but none of them step up after that.

Have seen Dire a fair few times, to be honest I have never got the hype. He has a sort of ungainly movement which I can't see past.
But there are obviously far more intelligent football men than I who see something in him.
But I genuinely wouldn't be that overly annoyed if he goes.

As I have said on here a few times it depends where you are on the food chain.

We are below EPL clubs but above the likes of Blackpool and Ross County.

We signed fourteen U16 (2004's) players, we may be losing one. Three of the players came from other clubs below us in the food chain, Glentoran, Motherwell and Ross County. Some of the other eleven would had attractive options but we convinced them to choose Rangers.

We targeted eight players across the age groups in January, one from Motherwell and one from St.Johnstone signed, one went to Celtic, the other five were convinced to stay at their current club, lower down the food chain.

Development fees are pretty low but will disappear before they increase, they would never survive a court challenge.

A 24 year old earning 1000's can walk away for nothing but a 14 year old not being paid a penny cannot, that can't be right.

We signed fourteen U16 (2004's) players, we may be losing one. Three of the players came from other clubs below us in the food chain, Glentoran, Motherwell and Ross County. Some of the other eleven would had attractive options but we convinced them to choose Rangers.

We targeted eight players across the age groups in January, one from Motherwell and one from St.Johnstone signed, one went to Celtic, the other five were convinced to stay at their current club, lower down the food chain.

Development fees are pretty low but will disappear before they increase, they would never survive a court challenge.

A 24 year old earning 1000's can walk away for nothing but a 14 year old not being paid a penny cannot, that can't be right.

do these U16s get paid anything?

Do you in your opinion believe the academy is working as it is right now?
Does it appeal to the club or is it a must have for the grants, monies from SFA

Obviously a man with knowledge and figures how does success from academy to first team hold up with Sinclair against Mulholland is there any difference or we much of much ?

Do you in your opinion believe the academy is working as it is right now?
Does it appeal to the club or is it a must have for the grants, monies from SFA

I don't think there is a compulsion for the club to have an academy, but they believe it is the right thing to do and I would agree.

The Academy was ripped up to start again when Craig Mullohand replaced Jimmy Sinclair in December 2014, in reality the changes only started to take place for the 2015/2016 season.

I think there has been big improvements and we moved away from the "Athlete" philosophy. Recruitment from others clubs has been better, some of the players we paid development fees for were baffling, with very few still in senior football. Where as there are loads of players we released (generally because they were deemed "too wee") still in senior football.

The academy is now at a crossroads and we really need to see one or two progressing. Whether than means breaking into the first team or successful loan spells suggesting they could be first team players in the future. It is a really important time for the academy and the unusual circumstances has complicated things.

Nothing is perfect and if I was critical, I think we have too many professional academy players - around 50 between the ages of 16 and 19. A structure of competitive games would also help, this to some extent is outwith our control, we have tried to progress a colt team into the lower leagues.

Perhaps this 5 subs from 9 is an opportunity to push one or two on to the bench and ultimately some minutes on the pitch.

I don't think there is a compulsion for the club to have an academy, but they believe it is the right thing to do and I would agree.

The Academy was ripped up to start again when Craig Mullohand replaced Jimmy Sinclair in December 2014, in reality the changes only started to take place for the 2015/2016 season.

I think there has been big improvements and we moved away from the "Athlete" philosophy. Recruitment from others clubs has been better, some of the players we paid development fees for were baffling, with very few still in senior football. Where as there are loads of players we released (generally because they were deemed "too wee") still in senior football.

The academy is now at a crossroads and we really need to see one or two progressing. Whether than means breaking into the first team or successful loan spells suggesting they could be first team players in the future. It is a really important time for the academy and the unusual circumstances has complicated things.

Nothing is perfect and if I was critical, I think we have too many professional academy players - around 50 between the ages of 16 and 19. A structure of competitive games would also help, this to some extent is outwith our control, we have tried to progress a colt team into the lower leagues.

Perhaps this 5 subs from 9 is an opportunity to push one or two on to the bench and ultimately some minutes on the pitch.
Great knowledge thank you.50 between 16-19 all aiming for first team that seems alot to be honest .all getting paid?

Back