Football Insider - Dire Mebude (younger brother of Dapo) going to Man City

NDC bear forever

Nothing you can do when these huge clubs come in for them. Disappointing news nonetheless
https://www.footballinsider247.com/...to-join-pl-giants-after-snubbing-Ibrox-offer/

That’s what Blackpool would have said.

Works both ways. Just need to keep producing players and we’ll get a few diamonds who don’t want to go elsewhere. Boys like the Mebudes just want a career as a footballer at the highest level they can get to.

Of course, which is why I said not much you can do. It's just the way it goes.

Would we be due a development fee?

Should be - provided we've offered him a pro contract I think. He signed up until next Summer but I think that's a Youth contract so doesn't count. Not certain of the rules at that age.

@rangeral and/or @elfideldo will probably know.

Its where we are in the food chain. City and Chelsea do it to us and we do it to other clubs to 'steal' the best of their potential talent.

Should be - provided we've offered him a pro contract I think. He signed up until next Summer but I think that's a Youth contract so doesn't count. Not certain of the rules at that age.

@rangeral and/or @elfideldo will probably know.

Its where we are in the food chain. City and Chelsea do it to us and we do it to other clubs to 'steal' the best of their potential talent.

We would be due around £90k on the statutory compensation rules, in Gilmour's case a bespoke agreement was reached. So take it as around £90k and a small percentage of any transfers up till the age of 23.

We would be due around £90k on the statutory compensation rules, in Gilmour's case a bespoke agreement was reached. So take it as around £90k and a small percentage of any transfers up till the age of 23.

I knew you'd know.:) Thanks for the info mate. Yeah, the Gilmour deal also saw us fined if I recall correctly - though we did end up with far more money than we would otherwise.

Unfair to ask you but what's your views on young Dire? If you are uncomfortable answering on such a young lad - they are under enough pressure already IMHO - then feel free to ignore the question mate.

What I always say, if you leave Rangers you will always regret it and never move to a bigger or better club. Your future even when you retire will be watched and worshipped by our support.

TBH when these big league teams come in for the youngsters it's hard for the boys to say no, yes he prob won't make it to the first team - but it's a hard opportunity to knock back. Woukd rather he stayed but i can understand if he wants to take the chance.

I knew you'd know.:) Thanks for the info mate. Yeah, the Gilmour deal also saw us fined if I recall correctly - though we did end up with far more money than we would otherwise.

Unfair to ask you but what's your views on young Dire? If you are uncomfortable answering on such a young lad - they are under enough pressure already IMHO - then feel free to ignore the question mate.

Disappointed if true, Dire is a really good player if a wee bit unpredictable at times. If I had to choose between him and his brother I would pick Dire. Better technique. In saying that he may not be the last to leave.

Disappointed if true, Dire is a really good player if a wee bit unpredictable at times. If I had to choose between him and his brother I would pick Dire. Better technique. In saying that he may not be the last to leave.

Kinda reinforces what I've hear before. Thank you.

I guess our relative success in recent years is having others take a closer look at what we have in our Academy - just as we will look at the likes of Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hibs etc. Seems to be the new transfer battleground. We take plenty from other clubs as you well know.

Whispers and rumours do suggest we could see a few go. Might be the only way some of them get 'real' football next season the way things are shaping up in Scotland. All we can do is try and ensure we get the appropriate recompense for their development.

Really disappointing. Heard it said he was even better than his older brother and a big prospect.

In a way this type of thing, Billy Gilmour as well, could be looked as being a credit to the work the academy is doing and how far they’ve come in recent years.

Tough watching young talent being swiped from us before we get a chance to see them, but having these top tier clubs in Chelsea and Man City taking an interest can only mean we’re doing something right? Glass half full probably

Kinda reinforces what I've hear before. Thank you.

I guess our relative success in recent years is having others take a closer look at what we have in our Academy - just as we will look at the likes of Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hibs etc. Seems to be the new transfer battleground. We take plenty from other clubs as you well know.

Whispers and rumours do suggest we could see a few go. Might be the only way some of them get 'real' football next season the way things are shaping up in Scotland. All we can do is try and ensure we get the appropriate recompense for their development.

We already do but with limited success we targeted 8 players at various age groups in January and got 2. Until very recently we didn't even scout the North East, that was supposedly changing.

Starting to doubt the point of an academy if all we're doing is developing youngsters for other clubs.

Only a lad thats a born and bred Ranger will say no, and even some of them will still go. We better get used to it.

We havent brought youth through in years and on top of that we cant offer the diamonds the rich clubs can. At 16 he could vanish in Man Citys academy if he doesnt hit the ground running, but he'll get a decent wee lump while he is there.

in your valued opinion why are they leaving ?

They have been the only website with any knowledge of our signings this summer. I’m sure @Crispy Bacon said the same rumour a few weeks ago.
Yes sir it’s all but done is the info I got.

he’s a talent... Need to try and bring some of the youth on in games we are really ahead. Might play a part in holding on to others in the future. Patterson etc certainly seem up to it.

Last edited:
Starting to doubt the point of an academy if all we're doing is developing youngsters for other clubs.

We do exactly the same thing to other clubs as well though. Should they just scrap ALL Academies? Its just like the 'big boy's transfer market. There's clubs with bigger budgets who buy the likes of Morelos from us and then we buy the likes of Hagi from Genk. Always been the way.

Last edited:
I'm sure a told yous on the Kai Kennedy thread more were going NYC now mebude and more to come ,but I keep forgetting that they're not good enough or bad advised

They are all promising players and it will be a shame to see them go. Its a long way from that to saying any of them are ready for the Rangers first team. None of the names you mention will be playing regular first team football for anybody in the next two years.

We do exactly the same thing to other clubs as well though. Should they just scrap ALL Academies? Its just like the 'big boy's transfer market. There's clubs with bigger budgets who buy the likes of Morelos from us and then we buy the likes of Kent from Liverpool. Always been the way.

Most clubs tend to have one or two youth players breaking through each season, we're lucky if they play one cup game against Stranraer.

A mixture of the bigger clubs poaching our best prospects and our total lack of balls to give them a proper chance I don't think we'd even notice if we didn't have an academy.

The mental thing is Gilmour wouldn't have kicked a ball for us last season but he's strolling EPL games, you can't tell me there's more pressure playing at Tynecastle than Anfield.

As much as we go on about it there isn't really a clear pathway to the first team.

Anything I've ever heard suggested Dire was the more promising of the two. Difficult to say at that age, of course, and folk do have a tendency to say 'he's good, but his wee brother is better' regardless of the names involved LOL.

Haha you hear that about every single player with a wee bro in a youth system anywhere.

5feab358ec90530a4c2434fa2365107ec1c4cb4f

The academy can't be doing too bad at the moment if Dire is away to city, NYC away to West Ham, Gilmour to Chelsea.

Of course i'd love these young talents to stay and try break into the first team but nothing can be done if premier league teams come calling.

i just wonder when the next academy player will make it from City, I know Foden is one but doubt very much these kids will ever make the first team

Back