Football Italia CH4

Xavi

25 years old today.

Probably my all time favourite football show. The talent in that program. Van B, Batigol, Mancini, Baggio, Signori, Gazza without even thinking.......

And probably the best theme for any sports show...

25 years old today.

Probably my all time favourite football show. The talent in that program. Van B, Batigol, Mancini, Baggio, Signori, Gazza without even thinking.......

And probably the best theme for any sports show...

Des Walker :eek:

That era of Italian Football was probably the most I've enjoyed watching any games that don't involve Rangers.

So many great players.

James Richardson had the best job ever doing the Saturday morning show. Getting paid to talk about Italian Football sitting at some quaint wee Italian cafe with an Espresso or a cocktail in front of him.

Football back then was when I really loved it most.

Sure the quality is probably better now but back then it just felt far more natural and relatable. The players as well seemed to have that bit more character.

Watching it gave me a soft spot for Sampdoria, what a team they had with the likes of Mihailovic, Platt, Lombardo, Gullit and Mancini who seemed to score a beauty every weekend.

That era of Italian Football was probably the most I've enjoyed watching any games that don't involve Rangers.

So many great players.

James Richardson had the best job ever doing the Saturday morning show. Getting paid to talk about Italian Football sitting at some quaint wee Italian cafe with an Espresso or a cocktail in front of him.
It was superb. Main stay of Saturday mornings. Richardson probably my ATG football presenter.

Sampdoria team too :cool:

Italian football was the daddy back then. Before TV money got proper silly and ruined the balance of things.

And he knew what he was talking about

Great show and great football. Saturday mornings on C4 where we had NFL highlights and Golazzo was superb.

Loved that show, great players and great teams, over the years have managed to take in a few games at the San Siro, and the Roman derby.

Great childhood memories of this program. Used to stay at my grandparents on a weekend and would sit and watch the Saturday and Sunday programmes with my grandad

That theme tune is iconic and probably one of the best TV themes ever IMO.

So many memories. Was one of the highlights of my footballing youth. I still, to a degree, prefer Italian football to Spanish, German, etc. Perhaps I've been blinkered by those bygone days of yore.

Was speaking to people about this not long ago, and it is actually the first football show i can remember watching regularly every week!

So many great players.

That was the beauty of it. No studio and you felt you were in Italy with him. He had a great sense of humour and so his paper analysis wasnt boring but funny.

And the players were brilliant. Some guys I'd never really heard of became my favourites. Signori, Torricelli, Inzaghi, Lombardo added to the well known players of Gullit, Gazza, Van Basten and my all time favourite Batistuta

who all thought at the time the boy said "goal lazio" in the intro

:)

Yip all the time I was 6 when it started in my defence. Class show still miss it, the European show on bt was a close replacement until scrapped.

James Richardson is the best football presenter I've ever seen. To think Colin Murray and Chapman, two throbbers, got MOTD 2 and the BBC probably never even asked Richardson...

who all thought at the time the boy said "goal lazio" in the intro

I always thought it was Golazo but this article with James Richardson, he says it was confirmed as "Go Lazio"

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/sport/football/football-indepth/james-richardson-football-italia/

“As for the theme tune, even though I assumed it was GOLAZO they were using a Jose Altafini bit of commentary. The composer did confirm, years later, that he was basically saying ‘Go Lazio’. “I assumed through the 10 years that there was no way he could possibly be doing that!”

I still remember the 1st match they ever showed live - a 3-3 draw between Lazio & Sampdoria. On that day, I discovered the genius of Beppe Signori.

Miss that programme more than any other sports programme we used to have.

Loved Italian football growing up, and they had it just right with the coverage - decent highlights and review of the week, and a live game on the sunday.

I always thought it was Golazo but this article with James Richardson, he says it was confirmed as "Go Lazio"

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/sport/football/football-indepth/james-richardson-football-italia/

“As for the theme tune, even though I assumed it was GOLAZO they were using a Jose Altafini bit of commentary. The composer did confirm, years later, that he was basically saying ‘Go Lazio’. “I assumed through the 10 years that there was no way he could possibly be doing that!”

was it not 'golaccio'

we need a debate on this

James Richardson is the best football presenter I've ever seen. To think Colin Murray and Chapman, two throbbers, got MOTD 2 and the BBC probably never even asked Richardson...

Agreed - cant believe he has never been to Sky and the best show on BT that he hosted got binned - shocking decision

Always thought Peter Brackley was a decent commentator as well. Not difficult at the time when you had McNee, Archie and Jock Brown up here to listen to.

A great time to watch football that. Serie A is still my favourite league although I favour Napoli now it was hard not to like AC Milan back then.

Loved that show, great players and great teams, over the years have managed to take in a few games at the San Siro, and the Roman derby.
Was in the San Siro for Milan v Lazio in March 2016, had a great time in Curva Sud however it really struck me how low key it seemed. Outwith where we stood, the stadium was silent. Lazio barely brought any fans. A real shame when you look back and see how it was in the 90's.

Best game we were at was Atalanta V Bologna, brilliant atmosphere and their curva Nord was 'interesting' :eek:

Was in the San Siro for Milan v Lazio in March 2016, had a great time in Curva Sud however it really struck me how low key it seemed. Outwith where we stood, the stadium was silent. Lazio barely brought any fans. A real shame when you look back and see how it was in the 90's.

Best game we were at was Atalanta V Bologna, brilliant atmosphere and their curva Nord was 'interesting' :eek:

Yep, the times I went to the San Siro for AC or Inter games could be quite low key, the Roman derby was bedlam at times, 3-2 to Roma.

used to be best thing on the telly on a saturday morning

was on after Kabbadi and Transworld Sport :)

I was born in 88, and i reckon I knew more about Italian football as a 10 year old than i do now as an adult, just from watching football italia. Could probably have named near enough every player at the time for all the top teams, whereas now I'd struggle to name any more than a handful outside of the Juventus team.

I remember watching Ronaldo's debut for Inter, and Alvaro Recoba banging two in from about 35 yards.

Was only a couple of years ago i realised it wasn't 'goal lazio' he was saying at the intro!

Back