Football/Sports Journalism in Scotland

Cambuslang Bear

I had the misfortune to catch some of the Radio Catholica phone in earlier and Gordon Duncan, Roger Hannah and the brain of Britain Gordon Dalziel. They are speaking about Scotland's downfall and the post mortem. Pretty usual stuff, except that cretin Dalziel contradicts himself at least three times on major talking points. The point is Dalziel (and it's not exclusive to him) is supposed to be an expert and is there to provide their listeners with opinion and comment based on their previous experiences. The idiot can't even back up his (ever changing) opinion in the very same programme, so what gives him the right to sit there and preach to us an tell us what is wrong with Scottish football?

Now it is no secret that the papers and radio stations are struggling for readers and listeners and it got me thinking that quite possibly any serious journalism is finally dead in this country

Last edited:
Charlatans and cowards.

Liars and bigots.

When a deranged hate filled republican Haag with an hnd and a failed social worker tarred with a sectarian brush carry NUJ cards and call themselves journalists. You know the profession is completely dead in Scotland.

Not only that, the man in charge of the SFA is a proven Rangers hater that works for celtcs owner Dermott Diddly Dee - is also in control of mainstream journalistic output - you know the system of reporting in Scotland is completely fucked.

I was in Mexico in 1986for the World Cup. We were in a bar in Querétaro with almost the entire Scottish press drinking on their expenses and getting well blootered. Almost to a man, maybe one or two exceptions, they were all Bears. My cousins cousin worked at the Evening Times with Alan Davidson, which is how we got the intro. I mean we were fkedup and these guys were staggering upstairs to write the days column. Amazing constitutions and no one had anything but praise for the Rangers. Incidentally: there was a Masonic lodge in the Times building for the brothers on the press. Oh how times have changed.

I was in Mexico in 1986for the World Cup. We were in a bar in Querétaro with almost the entire Scottish press drinking on their expenses and getting well blootered. Almost to a man, maybe one or two exceptions, they were all Bears. My cousins cousin worked at the Evening Times with Alan Davidson, which is how we got the intro. I mean we were fkedup and these guys were staggering upstairs to write the days column. Amazing constitutions and no one had anything but praise for the Rangers. Incidentally: there was a Masonic lodge in the Times building for the brothers on the press. Oh how times have changed.

Hats off to the sellik minded for changing everything to their benefit. Even Tom Devine doesn't bother with the old downtrodden stuff anymore. There has been a revolution in Scottish society that will seem truly remarkable to future social historians. Especially as it is almost totally unspoken. The revolution wasn't televised, but it does confirm that a shared ideology, a vanguard of fundamentalists and a tired and complacent elite/majority order are ideal conditions for radical change.

No wonder Douglas Murray is so worried.

Kenny MacIntyre and Richard Wilson use to be well worth listening to.
Both it seems now have been replaced.

They were journalists.Who knew their craft.

Nowadays it’s pundits who just give their opinions and that’s how they keep their jobs.Wilson Dalziel Rae Naysmith Stewart Boyd… all rattle their gums without any real backing.

The day of listening and waiting to hear words of wisdom are long, long gone!

Hats off to the sellik minded for changing everything to their benefit. Even Tom Devine doesn't bother with the old downtrodden stuff anymore. There has been a revolution in Scottish society that will seem truly remarkable to future social historians. Especially as it is almost totally unspoken. The revolution wasn't televised, but it does confirm that a shared ideology, a vanguard of fundamentalists and a tired and complacent elite/majority order are ideal conditions for radical change.

My cousin and I were talking about it the other day. We were on the plane from Houston to Mexico with one of the SFA supremos (can’t remember who as we were wasted and got cut off) but he was another Rangers man. Changed days indeed.

It's beyond repair in this country.

There's not a single pundit or journalist in this country I'd go out my way to listen to. With very few exceptions (McCoist, Sutton, McCann, Bonner) not one of them have achieved anything other than to be treated with contempt in terms of their careers. Take Sportscene - 20 odd years ago the commentator was Jock Brown and the two main pundits were DJ (European winner at 18, 200 odd goals for Rangers, two trebles, several other trophies) and Billy McNeill (Celtic's European Cup winning captain and league/cup winner as manager). Now who is it ? A squeaky voiced Aberdonian virgin who squeals about "the mighty Hoops!" and the "Dandy Dons!", a failed Man Utd reserve who thinks he's a football and political guru and a hipster with a beard who scored about 8 goals a season at shit teams bar a 3 year spell as a sub for us. Talk about lowering standards.

Both the print media and TV have went down the shock jock for god knows what reason. How many times have you read headlines like "BANTZ! SEE HOW CHRIS SUTTON GOOD NATUREDLY TROLLS RANGERS FOR THE 5,000TH TIME!" or "FAT'S ENOUGH! KRIS BOYD TAKES AIM AT CRITICS OF HIS WEIGHT". It's pandering to the lowest common dominator. You want to know how Steven Gerrard managed to guide Rangers to the EL group stages against several higher seeds two years in a row ? Never mind that, ha ha he's no won any trophies and where's Dave King getting the money from anyway ?

It's pathetic.

We sign Ryan Kent, one would think a massive shot in the arm for Scottish football, but no, the vitriol and bitterness seeps through from all. It was very much like when Steven Gerrard joined us. The Scottish trolls couldn’t wait to line up and put the boot in with their impartial objective opinions.

Stewart, ‘how are Rangers affording this?’ I mean ffs, the pricks bias couldn’t be any more apparent, it’s also massively childish. The guy is immature and way out of his depth.

McConnell and her disparaging headline ‘Callow Kent’ bitter trolling bastard.

Sutton ‘panic buy’ contradicting himself from previous plaudits of Kent whilst conveniently ignoring the loans and (ahem) quality signings at the meccano dome.

It’s actually embarrassing how one sided the narrative is. You can see the headlines when we win our first trophy. There will be some controversy surrounding it and if they can’t make anything up they will say we ‘bought’ success.

It’s not journalism anymore, it’s actually just a social media frenzy with childish, sniping, immature adults trolling and hooking those with the same inept intelligence levels.

We sign Ryan Kent, one would think a massive shot in the arm for Scottish football, but no, the vitriol and bitterness seeps through from all. It was very much like when Steven Gerrard joined us. The Scottish trolls couldn’t wait to line up and put the boot in with their impartial objective opinions.

Stewart, ‘how are Rangers affording this?’ I mean ffs, the pricks bias couldn’t be any more apparent, it’s also massively childish. The guy is immature and way out of his depth.

McConnell and her disparaging headline ‘Callow Kent’ bitter trolling bastard.

Sutton ‘panic buy’ contradicting himself from previous plaudits of Kent whilst conveniently ignoring the loans and (ahem) quality signings at the meccano dome.

It’s actually embarrassing how one sided the narrative is. You can see the headlines when we win our first trophy. There will be some controversy surrounding it and if they can’t make anything up they will say we ‘bought’ success.

It’s not journalism anymore, it’s actually just a social media frenzy with childish, sniping, immature adults trolling and hooking those with the same inept intelligence levels.

Sutton is a great case in point.

Sutton on Scottish Football is nothing more than a Rangers hating troll. Every single chance he gets there's a snide dig or a jibe. He does it because the producers and the presenter allow him and want him to do it. In no other country would you go out your way to alienate half your potential audience. But BT's SPFL coverage does. No wonder no one is mourning them losing the contract next season.

But Sutton on 5 Live during the World Cup or BT's EPL match coverage is completely different simply because there is no way their audience would accept that sort of nonsense punditry. He can actually be a decent pundit when he is brought into line, even showing a bit of humility when he talked at length about his regret at knocking back playing for England B, flopping at Chelsea etc.

But mention Rangers and the mask comes off...

Sutton on Scottish Football is nothing more than a Rangers hating troll. Every single chance he gets there's a snide dig or a jibe. He does it because the producers and the presenter allow him and want him to do it. In no other country would you go out your way to alienate half your potential audience. But BT's SPFL coverage does. No wonder no one is mourning them losing the contract next season.

But Sutton on 5 Live during the World Cup or BT's EPL match coverage is completely different simply because there is no way their audience would accept that sort of nonsense punditry. He can actually be a decent pundit when he is brought into line, even showing a bit of humility when he talked at length about his regret at knocking back playing for England B, flopping at Chelsea etc.

Sadly just like the rest of his 'kind' SDF

As long as people keep listening to them or buying the papers they write in nothing will change.

SMSM are just puppets for Lieswell to use and manipulate his agenda

Let’s face it there are only about 1 or 2 who have any credibility but the vast majority are just useless talentless utter scumbags who are complicit and incapable of telling the truth or being able to work out tactics or formations re match reports

They are just wee sweetie wives that are useful idiots to Lieswell and the mentally challenged establishment

They are devoid of any morals or integrity

As long as people keep listening to them or buying the papers they write in nothing will change.

The Daily Rhebel/Sunday Liam will no longer be in circulation in two years time. The rest I think will disappear shortly after. Same goes for the likes of the RC phone in. It will become extinct and now with more fan led media like H&H it is happening a lot quicker than they think

SMSM are just puppets for Lieswell to use and manipulate his agenda

Let’s face it there are only about 1 or 2 who have any credibility but the vast majority are just useless talentless utter scumbags who are complicit and incapable of telling the truth or being able to work out tactics or formations re match reports

They are just wee sweetie wives that are useful idiots to Lieswell and the mentally challenged establishment

They are devoid of any morals or integrity

Very good point. We never get any in depth analysis or anything that actually adds to the viewing experience. We certainly don't learn anything from the so called experts. And that is because they are not experts.

Compare BBC's analysis of a match with Sky's. Neville, Carragher, Souness and the rest have all coached or played at the very highest level. BBC have a failed trialist and wannabe politician, a journeyman pro who sat on our bench for years and a wee hight pitched prick who gets into a fit of rage if Rangers get a corner. Who you going to take seriously?

Caught five minutes of Rocksport last night and it was the same. The bit I heard was some arsewipe blaming McBurney for the national team being shite. Anyone know who it was?

most of them couldnt spell journalism, they are basically just bloggers with an opinion these days. They very rarely get off their arses and find a story, they sit and troll social media sites and cut and paste changing a few words here and there.

I started using this forum in 2003 and it's all I use now for reading about Rangers.

The internet has transformed my viewing and listening to Rangers games now, there's two geordie guys in you tube that I've caught occasionally and they spout less crap than some of the names mentioned on this thread.

I've had to use Radio Scotland for our last few Euro games and it's been horrendous, they covered the whole of the mhank game in Sweden then the show finished at 8.30 missing the drama at Ibrox, scroll back a week and they managed the rest of the mhank game after ours in Warsaw finished.

Don't start me on open all mics.

Actually having an interest in football seems to be discouraged among Scottish football journalists.

I think Steven Thomson said on TV that he didn't actually like the game. And he's providing us with words of wisdom about a game that thousands of us actually care about. Sums the BBC up in all honesty

Dalziel is the muppet who said he didn't think a 'Director of football' role was worthwhile, all while being employed by Airdrieonians as a guess what.

I've seen brighter blackouts than that man.

There is a village missing an idiot somewhere in Lanarkshire. I genuinely could not believe when he contradicted himself repeatedly. And sometimes in the same sentence. The guy is a moron

I think Steven Thomson said on TV that he didn't actually like the game. And he's providing us with words of wisdom about a game that thousands of us actually care about. Sums the BBC up in all honesty
Don't forget he is the guy that wouldn't stay back for extra training as he had a guitar Lesson. pretty much sums it up.

I had the misfortune to catch some of the Radio Catholica phone in earlier and Gordon Duncan, Roger Hannah and the brain of Britain Gordon Dalziel. They are speaking about Scotland's downfall and the post mortem. Pretty usual stuff, except that cretin Dalziel contradicts himself at least three times on major talking points. The point is Dalziel (and it's not exclusive to him) is supposed to be an expert and is there to provide their listeners with opinion and comment based on their previous experiences. The idiot can't even back up his (ever changing) opinion in the very same programme, so what gives him the right to sit there and preach to us an tell us what is wrong with Scottish football?

Now it is no secret that the papers and radio stations are struggling for readers and listeners and it got me thinking that quite possibly any serious journalism is finally dead in this country

I think your post could be done under the, “trades description act” the heading,”Football/Sports Journalism in Scotland”. Is there such a thing, for a balanced viewpoint in Scotland there are none, and are semi illiterate, just like where most of them have got their Sectarian Education!

When I watch MoTD on national BBC, or Sky, I always get the impression that the hosts, guests and regular presenters are, as a bare minimum requirement, reasonably intelligent. Not all, but most. You often get informed discussions that actually leave you feeling informed or even educated.

Up here, it’s almost as if the producers of these shows seek out complete morons, barely able to string a coherent sentence together, never mind maintain a train of thought.

It’s amateur hour up here. The standard is appalling

Probably Gerry Collins

Gerry Collins is another. I mean, honest to god, how could any radio producer listen to that cretin and think "Yep, that's great radio".

This is a guy who has made up so many bullshit stories on air about Rangers and not been called out once by either Bill "I get my inside info from FF threads" Young or the producers of the show.

"Aye, the hing is Bill, ah red an interview Steven Gerrard where he said that heez oanly in the market for free transfers....Katic disnae like heeding baws...blah, blah, blah"

No you didn't. Why is Bill Young not saying "Gerry, stop talking shite" ?

Of course it's unspoken.
They have much to keep quiet.
Some Bears are doing sterling work to flush them out though.

Was in France on holiday during some big tournament and one of the pundits was Bernard Tapie. Mind you probably talked more sense than the knobends here.

Caught five minutes of Rocksport last night and it was the same. The bit I heard was some arsewipe blaming McBurney for the national team being shite. Anyone know who it was?
I started listening to Rocksport almost 2 years ago when I decided that I'd never listen to radio scotland again, or until I heard that there'd been sweeping changes there. Rocksport has gone rapidly down hill during that time, especially on a Saturday afternoon. I haven't listened to any Scottish/local stations for a few months now. If anyone can recommend a decent, competent, agenda-less station/program let me know.

You'd like to think that mate but circulation figures have fallen off a cliff for papers in Scotland and if anything, it's gotten worse.

Douglas Park with the Gherald is the only exception albeit under different circumstances.

It's beyond repair in this country.

There's not a single pundit or journalist in this country I'd go out my way to listen to. With very few exceptions (McCoist, Sutton, McCann, Bonner) not one of them have achieved anything other than to be treated with contempt in terms of their careers. Take Sportscene - 20 odd years ago the commentator was Jock Brown and the two main pundits were DJ (European winner at 18, 200 odd goals for Rangers, two trebles, several other trophies) and Billy McNeill (Celtic's European Cup winning captain and league/cup winner as manager). Now who is it ? A squeaky voiced Aberdonian virgin who squeals about "the mighty Hoops!" and the "Dandy Dons!", a failed Man Utd reserve who thinks he's a football and political guru and a hipster with a beard who scored about 8 goals a season at shit teams bar a 3 year spell as a sub for us. Talk about lowering standards.

Both the print media and TV have went down the shock jock for god knows what reason. How many times have you read headlines like "BANTZ! SEE HOW CHRIS SUTTON GOOD NATUREDLY TROLLS RANGERS FOR THE 5,000TH TIME!" or "FAT'S ENOUGH! KRIS BOYD TAKES AIM AT CRITICS OF HIS WEIGHT". It's pandering to the lowest common dominator. You want to know how Steven Gerrard managed to guide Rangers to the EL group stages against several higher seeds two years in a row ? Never mind that, ha ha he's no won any trophies and where's Dave King getting the money from anyway ?

It's pathetic.
Outstanding post SDF!:))

The standard, or lack of, quality in Scottish journalism is scraping the barrel. Has been for a number of years.

It's like a group of fanzine writers who childishly rave over favourites and denigrate enemies.

Worst of all are Morons such as Dalzeil and Collins who are both uneducated clowns who insult our intelligence with thier ramblings.

I think eilidh barbour is a decent presenter and did an excellent job on Sky for the Celtic game, result notwithstanding

Billy Dodds
Derek Ferguson
Rob Mclean
Chick Young
Tom English
Michael Stewart
Pat Nevin
Kris Boyd
Chris Sutton
John Hartson
Hugh Keevens
Gordon Dalziel
Keith Jackson
Mark Guidi
Bill Leckie
Greame Speirs
Andy Walker

Just look at the state of that list of names.
That Grieve prick as well.

Very good point. We never get any in depth analysis or anything that actually adds to the viewing experience. We certainly don't learn anything from the so called experts. And that is because they are not experts.

Compare BBC's analysis of a match with Sky's. Neville, Carragher, Souness and the rest have all coached or played at the very highest level. BBC have a failed trialist and wannabe politician, a journeyman pro who sat on our bench for years and a wee hight pitched prick who gets into a fit of rage if Rangers get a corner. Who you going to take seriously?

Generally, that's because people don't read it.

From experience, people prefer reading 'pundit A slams pundit b' or shite like that.

On a site with 20m+ page views over the last year, our most-read story is "Did Scott Allan get a Rangers tattoo whilst at Celtic? - pictures" while "Rangers legend Ally McCoist slaughters Celtic coach John Kennedy" also makes the top 10 (six of the other 8 are transfer stories).

I'd love nothing more than sitting and doing detailed analysis pieces but the sad truth is that, for the time it takes it simply isn't worth the number they tend to do.

Said numerous times ,this list of journalists are all mentally challengeds or are in the pay of Liewell These cretins are only getting away with the anti rangers or pro mentally challenged policies whatever way you want to look at it because their bosses are allowing it . Its the Editors in the case of the written press or the producers in terms of BBC and the other visual media who are employing this mob , Our haters must go to the very top of all the press organisations . There faceless names are never mentioned ,they have set the real agenda against us and these are the ones who must be removed to get a free neutral press .We are not asking for a pro Rangers press just a neutral press .Idiots like Stewart ,English , leckie and the like are not the problem its upstairs thats the cancer

Back