Football supporters who used to sing Orange songs at the games.

The sixties you had Hearts, killie,Motherwell and Dunfermline all sang Orange songs.
Was it the rise of nationalism in the Seventies that changed things?
What other supporters sang the songs ?

Read the book Scally by Andy Nicholls about the Everton mob and he said they always attended the 12th at Southport.
Got this book in the house but not got round to reading it, does Scally say Liverpool fans attended the 12th? My original question was genuinely looking for some info from a Liverpool/Rangers/orange connection as I've heard whispers but imo this doesn't get brought to attention often enough.

Got this book in the house but not got round to reading it, does Scally say Liverpool fans attended the 12th? My original question was genuinely looking for some info from a Liverpool/Rangers/orange connection as I've heard whispers but imo this doesn't get brought to attention often enough.

Everton

The sixties you had Hearts, killie,Motherwell and Dunfermline all sang Orange songs.
Was it the rise of nationalism in the Seventies that changed things?
What other supporters sang the songs ?
Not sure about Dunfermline. Cowdenbeath maybe as it`s a good loyal town.
Hertz? Defo.
Dundee probably as well.

Not sure about Dunfermline. Cowdenbeath maybe as it`s a good loyal town.
Hertz? Defo.
Dundee probably as well.

I've been told by some older Bears that Dunfermline, Kilmarnock, Dumdee, Hearts, Airdrie, Motherwell and Ayr Utd all used to sing The Sash and Derry's Walls back in the 60s and early 70s .

When we went under the shed at tynecastle in the seventies , the scumboes would sing republican while lobbing bottles at us ,mind you we threw them back .
Then the next week if the mentally challengeds were playing they would lob bottles at them and sing orange songs.
Little known point in the sixties early seventies when the Hart family ( I think that was there name) owned Hibs they were known about Edinburgh as a masonic club ,it was the Harts who took the harp of the badge . I kid you not

I've been told by some older Bears that Dunfermline, Kilmarnock, Dumdee, Hearts, Airdrie, Motherwell and Ayr Utd all used to sing The Sash and Derry's Walls back in the 60s and early 70s .
My experience of Dunfermline is that they have a deep routed poet support among them and that goes back to the 70’s, before that I don’t know

When we went under the shed at tynecastle in the seventies , the scumboes would sing republican while lobbing bottles at us ,mind you we threw them back .
Then the next week if the mentally challengeds were playing they would lob bottles at them and sing orange songs.
Little known point in the sixties early seventies when the Hart family ( I think that was there name) owned Hibs they were known about Edinburgh as a masonic club ,it was the Harts who took the harp of the badge . I kid you not

Absolute rubbish, the hearts fans have never sang republican songs.

Liverpool were basically a Protestant club up to the 1960’s. Even in the 70’s there was links between our fans and theirs, however by the end of that decade, things started to change when they won European cups in consecutive seasons.
The glory hunting Southern Irish started to latch onto them and geographically, it was also convenient. Many Catholics in Liverpool itself also saw it as an opportunity to embrace success and do what would have been unthinkable 10 years previously.
By the mid 1980’s, their fan base had been diluted to the point where I certainly did not look on them as any friends of ours, but they probably still attract more Protestants and Orangemen than Everton .

It was Harry Swan who was a prominent Freemason and who removed the harp.

Liverpool? Tell me more, always thought that they had a bit of a connection with the Mhanks.

Not at all, Liverpool still sing a version of the Sash . I think Rangers/Celtic supporters always assume that teams like Liverpool & Everton , City & United all split the same as us. They don't you will get probably a 50/50 split and to be honest I don't think that many in England care too much now.

I used to follow Rangers home and away in both the 60's, and especially the 70's, and here's the reality.

* The only other club whose fans I ever heard singing orange songs was Hearts, but this was only very occasionally.

* The fans of most other clubs all used to sing YNWA, as they saw this as a football anthem which they knew we hated, after Celtic stole it from Liverpool.

* Dundee fans used to sing "Hail! Hail, The Dees are here . . . "

* A few clubs had their own version of TBB, eg the "Killie" boys.

* Only rarely could we hear what they were singing anyway due to the noise we were making!

The Harts owner Hibs? That’s as bad as Green and Whyte at us....

I used to follow Rangers home and away in both the 60's, and especially the 70's, and here's the reality.

* The only other club whose fans I ever heard singing orange songs was Hearts, but this was only very occasionally.

* The fans of most other clubs all used to sing YNWA, as they saw this as a football anthem which they knew we hated, after Celtic stole it from Liverpool.

* Dundee fans used to sing "Hail! Hail, The Dees are here . . . "

* A few clubs had their own version of TBB, eg the "Killie" boys.

* Only rarely could we hear what they were singing anyway due to the noise we were making!

Dunfermline fans did mate.

In the early 20th century Liverpool board were Orange men and Tories and Everton were mostly Protestant board but were Liberals and it was the Liberals who wanted "Home Rule" At that time most Liverpool were Protestants and Everton fans were RC's.

I have heard Hearts and Dundee singing " orange songs" but never "rebel songs" in the 60's and 70's. Cant remember any other teams fans singing "party tunes"

It was Harry Swan who was a prominent Freemason and who removed the harp.
Cheers Sancus thanks for correcting me , I worked in Edinburgh then and was shocked how many Hibs supporters were Masons and it was them that told me about about the practise, Worked in the Scotsman when it was a good paper it was full of hibs supporters and they were all Masons .Was a long time ago 1974ish so forgive me for thinking it was Tom Hart, Think the harp went back on the badge about 1999 2000

My old man used to say that in the 50's the poets used to refer to Masonic Bastards (Hibs), Protestant Bastards (Motherwell) and Orange Bastards (Rangers).

Me too. Best day out of the year.
certainly is,, and a long day at that, it can be almost 9 o'clock in the evening before the national anthem is played at the provincial club in everton, then the participation in swallying can commence with great gusto

There used to be a LPP (Liverpool Protestant Party) up until 1974 I think. Mainly all Tories. The type of party we need in this country tbh
up until the early 70s as you say , there were still 4 or 5 protestant party councillors on the city council, mostly for wards in the everton/anfield areas like netherfield ,and breckside

Back