Football supporters who used to sing Orange songs at the games.

Cheers Sancus thanks for correcting me , I worked in Edinburgh then and was shocked how many Hibs supporters were Masons and it was them that told me about about the practise, Worked in the Scotsman when it was a good paper it was full of hibs supporters and they were all Masons .Was a long time ago 1974ish so forgive me for thinking it was Tom Hart, Think the harp went back on the badge about 1999 2000
Yes, I worked in Edinburgh too and was struck by the number of Hibs supporters in the craft.

The only 2 I remember were Hearts and Dundee. I was in Mount Florida just before kick off last week and there were plenty of Union Flags.

My old man used to say that in the 50's the poets used to refer to Masonic Bastards (Hibs), Protestant Bastards (Motherwell) and Orange Bastards (Rangers).
Alex read a book about Hibernian years ago it was lying about at work ,It was actually a good read when the mentally challengeds were formed Hibs were the Dominant Irish team in Scotland.The mentally challengeds then stole all Hibs good players causing them to shut down for a year I think . From then on there was not a game for years between them that wasn't stopped for rioting between the fans . They hated each other with a vengeance, How times have changed

Not sure about Dunfermline. Cowdenbeath maybe as it`s a good loyal town.
Hertz? Defo.
Dundee probably as well.

Maybe, maybe not, Dundee had a large Irish immigrant population ( the jute mills ) but I suppose most of them somehow found their way across the street to Utd !

certainly is,, and a long day at that, it can be almost 9 o'clock in the evening before the national anthem is played at the provincial club in everton, then the participation in swallying can commence with great gusto
I remember reading Ricky Tomlinson's book,and he said he was from Orange stock, although he himself wasn't a member.he did say though he held his wedding reception in the Provincial club

I used to go to at least one hearts game every couple of months through the 70s, 80s and 90s and they were a staunch Protestant support . So sorry, but you are talking nonsense.
Not disputing they had a core protestant support i never said they weren't, but they did it to try and wind us up under that shed , Even today they still carry that core protestant support but you would never know it by reading their forums today. btw 1707 I suggest you edit your profile according to that you weren't born until 1981

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not, Dundee had a large Irish immigrant population ( the jute mills ) but I suppose most of them somehow found their way across the street to Utd !
A lot of lads in the oo in Dundee were Dundee supporters.i remember one of the Dundee fans telling me he was at a Dundee v rangers game and another Dundee fan shouted “up the ira” to try and wind up bears and he knocked %^*& out of him

Liverpool? Tell me more, always thought that they had a bit of a connection with the Mhanks.
They do. If Gerrard wasn’t our manager then this issue would be addressed factually rather than the current propaganda that some are spouting. 9 out of 10 mentally challengeds are massive Liverpool fans and it’s not just one sided.

I was visiting relatives back in 74 and ended up at Brockville. I clearly remember some of the home fans drunkenly singing the Sash and the Cry. Changed days from my undercover experiences in the home end at Falkirk a few years ago watching Rangers listening to the OB comments.

certainly is,, and a long day at that, it can be almost 9 o'clock in the evening before the national anthem is played at the provincial club in everton, then the participation in swallying can commence with great gusto

I meet up with a mate from Liverpool. His brother's grandson is the young lad Cochrane from Hearts. We get the "boogie bus" to Southport. Back in Liverpool for about 7pm then spend the evening in the Derry club. Brilliant day out.

The whole stadium used to sing the sash in unison when hearts visited Ibrox & when we visited tynecastle- quickly followed by a chant of 'Only one team is Proddie' belted out by us
I've never heard hearts fans singing anything republican
I thought I remembered Dunfermline fans singing dw - thanks 1707 for giving us conclusive proof

three

A former C****c Captain (Peacock)later became CGM in the OO back home in the Portrush area
I’m fairly sure one of the most senior members of the OO just east of Edinburgh is a big hibs fan, has a hibs flag in his front window.

Not disputing they had a core protestant support i never said they weren't, but they did it to try and wind us up under that shed , Even today they still carry that core protestant support but you would never know it by reading their forums today. btw 1707 I suggest you edit your profile according to that you weren't born until

I think you’re mind must be playing tricks with you . The hearts supporters never have and never will have people in there support that would even try wind us by shouting about the IRA. Believe me they are a staunch lot and wouldn’t tolerate that nonsense.

They do. If Gerrard wasn’t our manager then this issue would be addressed factually rather than the current propaganda that some are spouting. 9 out of 10 mentally challengeds are massive Liverpool fans and it’s not just one sided.

Last edited:
Well I’m 72 started going to games in 50s can never remember Hearts fans singing 19th Century Terrorist songs. Hibs have mixed support infact know more prods than tims that support them. All the older type hearts men tha I know are good prods never met a tim one. Back them most Dundee fans prods and Killie Ayr Utd infact most teams in Scotland leaned towards us. Changed days in deed.

up until the early 70s as you say , there were still 4 or 5 protestant party councillors on the city council, mostly for wards in the everton/anfield areas like netherfield ,and breckside

We did the Anfield tour when we went down a few years ago, it was just after the 12th and we got the open top bus from the Albert dock, there were red hands and union flags on lots of lampposts around the estates near Stanley Park, we were back down for a few days last week and theres a good display about the Grand Orange Lodge of Liverpool in the big Museum of Liverpool on the waterfront.

I remember going to Broomfield with some Falkirk supporting mates back in the early 90's. we were right at the fence and Airdrie's section b were belting out Fathers Advice.

When we went under the shed at tynecastle in the seventies , the scumboes would sing republican while lobbing bottles at us ,mind you we threw them back .
Then the next week if the mentally challengeds were playing they would lob bottles at them and sing orange songs.
Little known point in the sixties early seventies when the Hart family ( I think that was there name) owned Hibs they were known about Edinburgh as a masonic club ,it was the Harts who took the harp of the badge . I kid you not
There is one Edinburgh Lodge I visit and there are several Hibbs supporters. Certainly not casuals though

Harry Swan was the man who wanted Sellik kicked out of football over them flying the Irish tricolour - and it was us who saved the bastards.
How the hell did that happen Davy we saved the filth obviously we made mistakes in the past but that must rank right up there.

Harry Swan was the man who wanted Sellik kicked out of football over them flying the Irish tricolour - and it was us who saved the bastards.
Davy that must rank up there as No1 mistake our club has ever made to save that obomination of a club . Whatever were we thinking

Davy that must rank up there as No1 mistake our club has ever made to save that obomination of a club . Whatever were we thinking
Obviously there was an element of self-interest, as us v them generates big money. But if the board of the late 40’s/early 50’s could only have foresaw the future, our lives would have been so much sweeter without the vermin in it.

Hibs, masonic? Hmmmmm

Strangely enough, having lived in Edinburgh for 10 years now, most Hibs fans I've ever met are Prods. On the few occasions I've been in the Masonic, there are Hibs fans in attendance, though outnumbered by Hearts. Even spoke to one who was a proud member of the British Legion.
i still regard their fan base as mostly c*nts, though I no longer see them as a Catholic support even though some try to maintain the old traditions.

I remember watching a Hearts-Celtic game at Tynecastle around 96/97 and the Hearts fans giving it Derry’s Walls.

I have never heard of anyone other than us singing orange songs. Find it hard to believe Killie, MOtherwell, Dunfermline etc would be belting out the Sash.
I went to a lot of Motherwell games when I was a wee boy in the 70s and 80s and there was always a lot if loyalist and orange songs sung at Fir Park.
Motherwell Crown Defenders flute band (sadly no more) had a big number of Motherwell casuals in their ranks with a smattering of Rangers supporters amongst them.Can remember them having their picture taken at Fir Park as well.

Went to Airdrie - Dundee cĂąnts cup games a few years back with the Mrs.
Stood just along from the Section B who were belting out the party tunes that day

When we went under the shed at tynecastle in the seventies , the scumboes would sing republican while lobbing bottles at us ,mind you we threw them back .
Then the next week if the mentally challengeds were playing they would lob bottles at them and sing orange songs.
Little known point in the sixties early seventies when the Hart family ( I think that was there name) owned Hibs they were known about Edinburgh as a masonic club ,it was the Harts who took the harp of the badge . I kid you not
Utter shite. Hearts fans have never sung poet songs and they certainly weren't singing them in the 70s. Why even come out with that garbage?

Well I’m 72 started going to games in 50s can never remember Hearts fans singing 19th Century Terrorist songs. Hibs have mixed support infact know more prods than tims that support them. All the older type hearts men tha I know are good prods never met a tim one. Back them most Dundee fans prods and Killie Ayr Utd infact most teams in Scotland leaned towards us. Changed days in deed.
Seen a poll a couple of years ago about religion and Hibs 70% Protestant

Dundee, Hearts, Kilmarnock, Dunfermline, Moherwell all had loyalist leanings.

Hearts, then Dundee were the most vocal in their support. Dundee had a very strong loyalist based support. There was no love lost at the actual games though, and fans still taunted each other.

up until the early 70s as you say , there were still 4 or 5 protestant party councillors on the city council, mostly for wards in the everton/anfield areas like netherfield ,and breckside
Remember the first time i went to Anfield and it was 70/71. As we walked through Vauxhall and the Scottie Rd most of the graffiti was EFC with some Celtic stuff once you got to Everton and Netherfield it was mostly LFC with quite a lot of Rangers and Loyalist stuff.

Back