Football supporters who used to sing Orange songs at the games.

I've always had the impression Hibs are as much the Leith team as the Tim team and Hearts are Edinburgh. Probably goes back to when they were 2 separate burghs.

Dont know but it was hard to take during the Boer War and it was mainly Lancashire soldiers who died attacking it https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/...verpools-first-goalscorer-front-famous-stand/

Great article thanks for posting it

On a 'nit-picking' level though I always thought from reading other sources - which I'm having difficulty finding again -that the old hampden had a section of terracing that regularly held in excess of 37,000 ?
Anyone know if that's true ?
I also suspect that Ibrox of old would hold upwards of the 30,000 quoted, in one end of the ground - or maybe they mean one section within the entire end ?

Great article thanks for posting it

On a 'nit-picking' level though I always thought from reading other sources - which I'm having difficulty finding again -that the old hampden had a section of terracing that regularly held in excess of 37,000 ?
Anyone know if that's true ?
I also suspect that Ibrox of old would hold upwards of the 30,000 quoted, in one end of the ground - or maybe they mean one section within the entire end ?
Hampden's record attendance is just under 150,000. It had about 15,000 seats and the schoolboys enclosure at the Main stand couldn't have held as much as 5,000..That would leave130,,000 on 3 sides. The Kings Park end was bigger, as it had a bit at the back, so it could easily have held 40,000+.
I think Ibrox was 48,000 capacity when the Copland was being built, that would mean the Broomloan end held 19-20,000 and it wasn't as big as the Copland Rd end. It sloped down towards the Shed due to the railway line. By the time Ibrox was getting redeveloped, Hampden's capacity was down to about 70 odd thousand.

Hampden's record attendance is just under 150,000. It had about 15,000 seats and the schoolboys enclosure at the Main stand couldn't have held as much as 5,000..That would leave130,,000 on 3 sides. The Kings Park end was bigger, as it had a bit at the back, so it could easily have held 40,000+.
I think Ibrox was 48,000 capacity when the Copland was being built, that would mean the Broomloan end held 19-20,000 and it wasn't as big as the Copland Rd end. It sloped down towards the Shed due to the railway line. By the time Ibrox was getting redeveloped, Hampden's capacity was down to about 70 odd thousand.

Thanks for that -

I suppose I was thinking pre sitting days when 80,000 at Ibrox wasn't un- common
Going from memory alone - each section behind each goal must have held way in excess of 30,000
Which brings me back to the question of whether the article is referring to the kop as the entire section behind the goal or a section within that area

Anyway - apologies for taking this thread way off course

Last edited:
I went to a lot of Motherwell games when I was a wee boy in the 70s and 80s and there was always a lot if loyalist and orange songs sung at Fir Park.
Motherwell Crown Defenders flute band (sadly no more) had a big number of Motherwell casuals in their ranks with a smattering of Rangers supporters amongst them.Can remember them having their picture taken at Fir Park as well.
I remember hearing the Pride of Motherwell getting booed at an RBP parade shortly after we were demoted, anybody know the reason

Thanks for that -

I suppose I was thinking pre sitting days when 80,000 at Ibrox wasn't un- common
Going from memory alone - each section behind each goal must have held way in excess of 30,000
Which brings me back to the question of whether the article is referring to the kop as the entire section behind the goal or a section within that area

Anyway - apologies for taking this thread way off course
The biggest i have in Ibrox was against Celtic, League Cup sectional game 94,000 plus
Main Stand 10.4k, Enclosure 9.5k Covered enclosure 26k? Rangers end 26k? Celtic end 23k? Main stand and enclosure is correct the rest of the crowd estimated

I believe he was going to change from the green to a red strip as well no idea why this never happened
I have something in my head remembers Hibs wearing purple for 1 or 2 seasons something about de irishment to Scottish in the 70's,or 80's Harp also taken down, however i might be dreaming

The biggest i have in Ibrox was against Celtic, League Cup sectional game 94,000 plus
Main Stand 10.4k, Enclosure 9.5k Covered enclosure 26k? Rangers end 26k? Celtic end 23k? Main stand and enclosure is correct the rest of the crowd estimated

Fair calculations- these figures make sense to me & blows my theory of + 30,000 out the water

I believe he was going to change from the green to a red strip as well no idea why this never happened
Close - he introduced the white sleeves, to copy the Arsenal kit. I think he also introduced floodlit football into Scotland. Quite the innovator.

Liverpool? Tell me more, always thought that they had a bit of a connection with the Mhanks.

Although I don't remember the Kop ever singing Orange songs I well remember their supporters back in 1966 going up the Gallowgate towards Parkhead belting out a song to the tune of The Sash. I told this to a Liverpool supporter a few years ago (season ticket holder who had tim leanings) and he didn't believe me - or probably did not want to. With regard to Scottish club supporters, the only two lots I ever heard were the Jambos and Dundee fans. I always remember a League Cup game at Tynecastle back in 1985 when their end was singing The Sash to us. It caused some amusement and prompted our end to reply with a chorus of, "There's only one team of Proddies".

Although I don't remember the Kop ever singing Orange songs I well remember their supporters back in 1966 going up the Gallowgate towards Parkhead belting out a song to the tune of The Sash. I told this to a Liverpool supporter a few years ago (season ticket holder who had tim leanings) and he didn't believe me - or probably did not want to. With regard to Scottish club supporters, the only two lots I ever heard were the Jambos and Dundee fans. I always remember a League Cup game at Tynecastle back in 1985 when their end was singing The Sash to us. It caused some amusement and prompted our end to reply with a chorus of, "There's only one team of Proddies".
Poor Scouser Tommy

They do. If Gerrard wasn’t our manager then this issue would be addressed factually rather than the current propaganda that some are spouting. 9 out of 10 mentally challengeds are massive Liverpool fans and it’s not just one sided.
STill quite a few, plus if you go to Southport on the 12th, see how many followers are wearing Liverpool shirts.
I'd say there's just as many Everton shirts as Liverpool at Southport these days ,although the Derry Club is like a Loyalist Liverpool supporters club.

I'd say there's just as many Everton shirts as Liverpool at Southport these days ,although the Derry Club is like a Loyalist Liverpool supporters club.

Do you get many Gers tops at Southport or is it many Liverpool Orangemen?

I have something in my head remembers Hibs wearing purple for 1 or 2 seasons something about de irishment to Scottish in the 70's,or 80's Harp also taken down, however i might be dreaming
Hibs were the first team to have advertising on their strip(Bukta). There was no TV deal for the strip, so they had a purple TV strip. When they played us on TV they wore a yellow strip.

Remember reading a newspaper report,would have been early 70's of a match between the mentally challengeds and the sheep,and it said the uda influence seems to have extended to Aberdeen:eek:

I thought that too, I'm thinking Eddie Turnbull was the manager at the time and they were opting for a purple change strip.

WATP

Remember reading a newspaper report,would have been early 70's of a match between the mentally challengeds and the sheep,and it said the uda influence seems to have extended to Aberdeen:eek:

I remember the Aberdeen fans giving Derry's Walls and the Sash big licks when they played the romanist cultists.

Back in the day they used to display plenty of Union Flags too.

Strong Conservative and Presbyterian area.

How sad it is now full of Rangers hating, mutton molesting Scot natzi yessers.

WATP

Back