Footballers you have met: nice or rude

I met Ray Wilkins outside of Ibrox before he tragically passed away, I can’t state as to how much of a gentleman he was.

took pics happily with everyone, I told him he was a part of Rangers folklore for that goal against Celtic, he looked me in the eye, shook my hand firmly and said “Well thank you very much” in his cockney accent, was a fantastic moment and I feel a wee bit emotional typing it.

met him at the Ibrox door when he was playing with us
a true gentleman

Kyle Lafferty on holiday in Mexico 9 years ago just after our last title win. The guy was sound.

Alan McLaren came across as an arrogant fecker.

Walter Smith -absolute gentleman.
Dave McPherson - polite and pleasant to chat to.
Colin Stein - lovely guy.
Bob Malcolm - how can I put this - not the sharpest tool in the box.
I met Colin Stein at hospitality and got him to sign a program for my father in law as Stein was his hero. When walking away he turned and said “Mind and tell him I’m asking for him”. I thought that was a really nice touch.

Met Walter and Archie when they were at Everton - was in the Charlton boardroom as I had Alan Curbishley's seats , his brother was a client of mine !

Both polite , was a delight be in same room !

Met Steve Perryman through work , whilst he was manager at Brentford ! As a Spurs fan was wonderful , he even bought me lunch !

Talked to Martin Chivers and Martin Peters in Spurs hospitality

Had photo with Pat jennings same day ! Hands are massive but lovely man with that Ulster drawl !

One night, years ago, we met Jackie Dziekanowski. He was totally pished but hilariously at one stage said to me Tim pal: "I wish I had sign for the Rangers, win things".

Willie Henderson was a true gentleman when I met him. Arthur Numan as well. I still want to meet my all time Gers hero ,Colin Stein though.

My Brother used to live 2 houses along from Dick Advocaat in Mearnskirk, Newton Mearns and although I never spoke to him (saw him drive past several times while I was up visiting) but my old fella spoke to him several times while out walking and said he was always smiling, engaging and had a great sense of humour. Who'd have believed that by the way he used to go mental pitch side.

Met Jose Quitongo in my local. Nice guy.

Moussa Dembele - didnt say much but posed for photos with my Celtic pal.

Arthur Numan - Legend. Great guy who was happy to stand and chat away.

Ray McKinnon (ex Dundee United Manager) - Thought a bit highly of himself. That will have changed now.

Bruno Alves - just waved and wandered on.

Gary Kenneth - This was just before his "big money move down south". An absolute wa**er who thought he was God's Gift.

Shankland - Good guy. Had a lot of time for everyone and just seemed down to earth.

A few months back there was also a Scottish Championship player who was pals with one of the guys in our group. Sound guy but did tell me numerous times not to grass on him for doing Cocaine that night - because he could get drug tested. Mental

Willie Henderson was a true gentleman when I met him. Arthur Numan as well. I still want to meet my all time Gers hero ,Colin Stein though.
He travels back on the Subway after most home games with Willie Johnston, I've met them a couple of times , usually on it when it's less busy.

Hes a gentleman though wee bud can be a cheeky count.

I met Novo one day when we were playing football in his estate, thought he was coming out to tell us off but he had a kick about with us for 5mins! We were all Bears so it was top class.

Also met Petrov one day when walking home from school, he pulled up to use the cash machine at the shops. Seemed nice enough even though I told him his team was shite. He just laughed. :))

Met a few through the years but my favourite has to be the Great George Young ..he was an absolute gentleman ..on another note met Dr Paisley as well .. superb guy hands like shovels

i spoke to Souness and Dalgleish at Wentworth when on a corporate golf day, both really nice and chatted about Rangers and football in general for about 20 mins

Been in Alex Rae's company a few times through a mate. Good guy.

Met Ally McCoist recently at a charity do and he was absolutely brand new, as you would expect.

Tin hat firmly on for this next one. Neil Lennon, late 2000s at a wedding just after he'd stopped playing. Was perfectly pleasant with me and bought everyone a drink. However I also know Celtic supporters who have met him and said he was an obnoxious little c*nt.

i've actually had 2 rangers fans tell me he is sound and had a celtic fan say that he blanked him and couldnt be arsed with fans

Jimmy johnstone played in a charity game at renfrew juniors years back and came into the local after it. He was really good company, I had a gers top on and he bought me a drink and had a good natured bit of banter. He did say,back then that he was disappointed in the current old firm players who didnt have the same respect for each other as they did in his playing days.

As for jim Baxter, I think most of the govan shipyards met him when he had the pub just off prw.

Reactions: TQ3
Jimmy johnstone played in a charity game at renfrew juniors years back and came into the local after it. He was really good company, I had a gers top on and he bought me a drink and had a good natured bit of banter. He did say,back then that he was disappointed in the current old firm players who didnt have the same respect for each other as they did in his playing days.

As for jim Baxter, I think most of the govan shipyards met him when he had the pub just off prw.

aye i think of older players there would have been much more respect, today some of the stuff is petty nonsense all for popularity contests with fans

Most of the first team in Dubai spent time with the bears getting photos and signed stuff.

SG and Tav - not even an acknowledgement over the 2 days. Really poor from the gaffer and captain.

Met Alan shearer at the gate of a flight in Doha back in 2010 - was happy to chat and laughed when I said I wish you were born a little bit further north.

Ian Redford - Nice guy
Kris Boyd - Nice guy
John Brown - Nice guy
Steven Pressley - Stuck up halfwit
Andy Goram - Nice guy
Jorg Alberz - Nice guy
Nacho Novo - Nice guy

Kanchelskis (sp) when he was playing for us - was quiet and unassuming, wasn’t complimentary about Advocat and the Dutch contingent

Durie - very pleasant

Dennis Law - top man, very chatty and polite

Hateley - Friendly, didn’t trust Craig Whyte

Willie Johnston - friendly and chatty, spoke about my mum who was in the same class as him at school!

Super Ally – At Sherbrook Castle after we beat Aberdeen 2-0 in 2008-ish. Very nice guy and exactly the guy you’d expect.

Nacho Novo – Met him in Glasgow, nice guy and gave my Celtic supporting pal a roasting.

Best one wasn’t me, but a guy I used to work with who was a Celtic fan. Was standing outside the work having a smoke and Bobo Balde walks down the street. This is when he was still at Celtic and on bad terms with the club. My mate started talking to him and he absolutely SLATED Celtic. He then asked my pal if he was going to the game that night (They had a Champions League game that night) and when he said no, Balde gave him a pair of tickets and said “I won’t be f*cking going to see them!”

Went to school with a few who have made it pro but they're all just normal guys.

David Goodwillie was an absolute throbber and spewed down himself whilst pished on a flight sat beside me.

Used to work in a shop whilst at uni and if a Tim player came in I'd always go through the back and chat for a few minutes then come back out and tell them we were out of stock in whatever they wanted. Mulgrew and Watt in particular are slow individuals. Petty I know but hilarious to 18 year old me.

Ally McCoist - Top man
John Greig - Great
Sandy Jardine - Great
Mark Hateley - Great
Graeme Souness - Great
Richard Gough - Pleasant
Willie Johnston - Terrific
Ralph Brand - Good
Jimmy Miller - Good
Nacho Novo - Funny
Andy Goram - OK but not my cup of Tea

Met Richard Gough at the charity dinner in the raddisson blu after the legends game v Man U a few years ago. He was was really rude.
I had bought the top that was released for the game and planned on trying to get everyone that played to sign it and framing it. Gough refused saying I was planning on selling it on ebay! I’ve still got the top never got it framed though.
Sickening when you meet a hero and they turn out to be like that. He was maybe just having a bad day

Disappointing to hear, he was at a party few years back I was at and he came across really well.

Chatted away to everyone and spoke about his career, fab night

Jonas Thern - gentleman
Ian Ferguson - stood for an hour signing autographs and taking pictures. Brilliant guy
Andy goram - gentleman
Amoruso- gentleman
Porrini - happy to engage with fans but struggled to smile

Lots more were more than happy to engage with the fans.

Barry Ferguson - ignored everyone and got straight into his car and drove away.

Met Ian Black, he was a friend of my boss at the time. Said he would arrange for my son to be mascot and hospitality for us with players lounge access. Gave me his number and said to call him the following week, still waiting on him returning my messages. Just rude..

some more:

Billy Dodds - met him in Glasgow just after he signed for "his boyhood heroes" - couldn't be less enthused to sign for us

Edwin van der Sar - having dinner in Ibiza and Edwins at the next table - had a brief chat while his wife was away from the table (didn't want to disturb their night) - thoroughly nice chap

Met Richard Gough at the charity dinner in the raddisson blu after the legends game v Man U a few years ago. He was was really rude.
I had bought the top that was released for the game and planned on trying to get everyone that played to sign it and framing it. Gough refused saying I was planning on selling it on ebay! I’ve still got the top never got it framed though.
Sickening when you meet a hero and they turn out to be like that. He was maybe just having a bad day
Gough is a total stand offish git. Hate saying that but I've never found him endearing. I've seen a few ignoramus in my time. Boyd was an ass, Barry Ferguson wan't pleasant either. All the Dutch boys were excellent. Gio in particular and z newnan. Alberts was brilliant. DJ was always great. Big Marv a total gentleman. Alex Mcleish was class.

All were very decent mostly when son was playing never met him but witnesssd sutton being a cnut at a boys game when his son wasplaying to kids asking for autographs nothing new then

Met quite a few over the years mainly through work
Gers past and present..
Allan McGregor, hate to say it but he's the worst i've met
Laudrup , easily the best closely followed by Gazza and R. DeBoer
Reyna, different class
Jason Cummings, Jason Holt both superb
Met a lot of North east based footballers over the years..
Alan Shearer, easily the worst, likes the do you know who i am patter
Chris Coleman, Jack Ross both superb.

Met loads at numerous supporters club functions and they have all been brand new in that environment. Davy Wilson is a favourite though

That's not like Richard as he is always aware he represents Rangers, no matter where he is.
I was actually meant to go and meet him that night in the Raddison when he phoned me and explained something that happened, not for FF but believe me, you would be raging as well
It’s a tough one because like I said it’s probably just been a bad day/moment. It’s always the risk when you meet hero’s. I’ve met loads of players over the years at these things and with exception of Gough and Lovenkrands all have been great.
But the Gough one really put me off meeting legends better sticking to average players haha at least that way you don’t end up gutted when they are wide to you

As a schoolboy on my lunch, walked from Renfrew High School into Renfrew Town Centre.
Back then the Trinity High lot had the same lunch hour so that was always fun...!

One day we were all queuing up in a chippy called Vince's Corner (a chinese now), and Vidar Riseth parked his motor directly outside.
He proceeded to walk straight up to the front of the queue, before the wee Italian woman behind the counter yelled at him, saying "Are those school kids invisible?" and "You can't park your car out there either!".
He left with his tail between his legs.
At which point one of the mhanky Trinity mob said "That wis Vidmar Riseth".
Yes....VIDMAR Riseth...

VR came across as a right tadger, as did the guy from Trinity High.

Met Alan Hutton who was very pleasant, considering I had started dancing with his wife :oops:
Lovenkrands, Big Wes, Alan McLaren, Huistra, many others, all pleasant.
Even Tom Boyd. Prick.

Any of the Rangers players I have met have been top class, but I've only met them in hospitality and book signings, so they have been expecting to liase with fans.
Andy Goram at a youth team fund raiser years ago was a standout, took some amount of time to pose for pictures and sign autographs..." thanks for the photo Mr Goram".....reply " call me Andy ".. :cool:
I may have posted this before, but no matter what team you play for, even a small amount of fame can go right to your head....
Back in the early nineties a couple of the ladies who worked in my office were out at all the trendy places in Glasgow every weekend...back in the office on the Monday they were discussing the most obnoxious, intrusive, bigheaded, loudmouth,sleazy character they would come across reasonably regular in these fine establishments.
Not knowing the first thing about the beautiful game, they had no idea who he was, only his name and that he was a footballer.
With the way he behaved they thought he played for a big club and was a huge international star, they suggested something like Liverpool,Manchester United and Scotland.....
When they told me it was Sam McGivern, an average Scottish plodder who was playing for Falkirk it gave me a laugh....:D

Another one to show how easy game can be bad for your personality...and you should possibly never meet your heroes...
A council employee was doing a gas check at my flat 20 odd years ago, a pleasant chap, we were talking about the game as he was a big Kilmarnock fan, every game home and away.
He had recently been on a Euro trip, he paid the extra for him and his 9 year old son to travel with the official party.
In the departure lounge, his boy is so excited because all the team are there, just acting normal with the club shell suits on, chatting to fans, reading magazines etc.
The boy was a big fan of a guy called Ally Mitchell who was at Kilmarnock for a number of years and was a big fan favourite to be fair.
Dad has his camera and thought he would attempt to capture a moment for his boy to cherish.
The young lad approached Mitchell and quietly and politely asked if he could have a picture....
The player looks up from his copy of the Sun and replies.." jesus fukkin christ, can ye no see am readin the fukkin paper furr fukk sake"....
The boy's old man was furious told Mitchell not to bother and took his heartbroken boy away.
This from chancers who play for Falkirk and Kilmarnock, not Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Met loads of them over 50+ years .
Generally not too bad .
Really good company: Super Ally, Coop , Willie Henderson.
Walter &Big Eck also.
Sadly, John Greig acted like a buffoon when I met him once outside Pittodrie.

Met a few, novo absolutely nicest guy ever stood chatting for about 20min. Met John fleck in Magaluf he was down to earth and was happy to take pics and have a few drinks with us

Been lucky enough to meet a lot of the players over the last 25 years or so,everyone pretty good to be fair,a certain goalie could be a hit or a miss depending how much wine he had,met defoe at the weekend just there,thoroughly nice guy and great professional

Back