Footballers you have met: nice or rude

Said hello to terry butcher when he had his broken leg. Blanked me. Think it was a Dundee pre season friendly. Seem to remember a certain triallist scored that day who used to manage us. Hint. He was still the manager.

Theres plenty more.
Novo great but his agent was a tube.
Jimmy Nicholl different class.
McCoist, Durrant, Hateley, Rob Kiernan, Peter MacDonald, Billy Reid, Marc Fitzpatrick.
All nice enough.

It’s a tough one because like I said it’s probably just been a bad day/moment. It’s always the risk when you meet hero’s. I’ve met loads of players over the years at these things and with exception of Gough and Lovenkrands all have been great.
But the Gough one really put me off meeting legends better sticking to average players haha at least that way you don’t end up gutted when they are wide to you
Goughie had good reason to be annoyed but will be angry with himself he came across like that. The big guy is different class

Met Alan Thompson in Belfast airport a few years ago when I was flying over to Glasgow for the big walk. Really sound and chatted for ages. Couldn’t stop laughing when I told him what I was going to Glasgow for, as his mate “Lenny” had dropped him off at the airport( after they’d been at a coaching course in Belfast) and he was sure he would loved to of met a couple of bandsmen.
I met him when he came into The Louden on Duke Street on his way to an Old Firm game at Parkhead, he was supporting us

Durrant, McCoist and Big Nissie - I was a wee
lad and all very nice.
Bit older, had to pick up some tickets in main entrance, stood at marble staircase and Gazza had just finished an interview, saw us looking a bit starstruck and he came over and spent 5mins chatting with us, left a lasting impression of how down to earth he was and top bloke going out his way to speak to fans.

I have met;
Super Ally - very chatty and nice
Dave Mcpherson - quite chatty and nice
Fraser Wishart - very chatty and nice
Iain Ferguson - very chatty and nice
Gerry Britton - very drunk, chatty and nice
Jimmy Nichol - very chatty and nice
Archie Knox - very chatty and nice
Billy Dodds - quite chatty and nice
Micky Walker - very aloof and very rude

:)):))

Davie Cooper - very quiet chap but a real gent
Jock Wallace - as you’d expect the firmest handshake ever
Canny Fraser total tube
Bobby Russell too busy eating a Mars Bar to engage in meaningful conversation
John McClelland the genial Ulsterman was indeed genial
John Greig a quip a minute, he should be on stand up
Ian Durrant nice chap quietly spoken
Trevor Francis good guy chatted away
Souness definitely an aura about this guy charisma with a capital K

Went to watch my local non-league team at Cheltenham who had Andy Gray playing - not long after he left Rangers and gave up full professional football through injury.

My young son, decked in his Michael Mols shirt asked for his autograph after the match. He took him to the players lounge, introduced him to the players, got him a coke and some sandwiches and spent over half an hour with him. That alone made my son a football, and Andy Gray, fan for ever.

He didn’t need to do that but he did. Respect.

Went to watch my local non-league team at Cheltenham who had Andy Gray playing - not long after he left Rangers and gave up full professional football through injury.

My young son, decked in his Michael Mols shirt asked for his autograph after the match. He took him to the players lounge, introduced him to the players, got him a coke and some sandwiches and spent over half an hour with him. That alone made my son a football, and Andy Gray, fan for ever.

A Glaswegian Rangers Fan, I wouldn't expect anything less

After the old firm game that we won 2-0 (Gazza scored a diving header)
I was at a do in the Edmiston club.
Chatted to Derek McInnes who was decent, unlike a pished and ‘Ned like’ Charlie Miller who was too busy singing about the ‘hairs on the virgin Marys fanny!!’
Can’t remember how many he said she had again..............

Was flying home to Belfast from Glasgow after my grandads funeral with the rest of my family and some friends. Met Mark Hateley in the departures and he asked why we were in suits etc. Once I told him the details he couldn’t have been nicer, spoke to everyone in the party, shook hands and said how sorry he was. Total gent and gave me a nice memory on what was a sad day.

Are you sure your son had on a Mols jersey? as that would be around 1989 and Mols didn’t join till 1999.

I used to work in ASDA in Bearsden and we all loved it when Sasa would come in. Always happy to chat away to anyone. Big Prso was the same. Lee Martin (anyone remember him?) was in once and spent the whole time on his mobile. A wee lad went up to him and he just waved him away.

Tav always in Asda Bden these days

Met David Beckham a few times. His best mate lived round the corner from me and they used to come to the local pub when Beckham was in London. He was a really nice bloke despite getting pestered for pics on some of his visits.

Been fortunate and unfortunate to meet and talk to lots of Football players in my lifetime. Most have been good.
From early age Davy Wilson, Erik Sorenson, Kai Johansen. Orjan Person stick out not forgetting Alex Willoughby, who lived next door to my Grandad in Springburn. Even the whole team in Perth when managed by Mr White
Later on Ally Dawson, John McDonald Colin McAdam.
Alex Rae, Kenny Miller and Paul Ince at the Wolves, Derek McInnes and Stuart McCall West Brom V Bradford, Marcus Gayle, Chris Vinnecombe, Colin West
In Adult life 4 stand out. Willie Henderson absolute Gentleman, Mark Walters who I got to sing the Billy Boys before Oxford v Bristol Rovers, Ally McCoist who does a lot of unsung work which I won't divulge and the late Ray Wilkins who spent half an hour talking to my youngest before a Derby v Leeds Utd match. His first question to my son was "What team do you support?" Son, not knowing who he was, duly obliged with Rangers. That was it. Mutual Respect
Another highlight suddenly springs to mind. The one and only Peter Grant. Was at Swindon v Bournemouth. He was coach/Assistant Manager? at Bournemouth and was being a full kit wanker and all kitted out in Royal Blue. I said to him "You suit that colour" he stopped and laughed and we had a little blether together.
Two of the worst were Goalkeepers. Jonathon Gould who wouldn't give a child his autograph and Kasper Schmeichal who asked me don't you know who I fucking are when I asked him his name. That rant cost him a few quid.
Worst ever person was Martin O'Neill.

Biggest and bestest ever Highlight.
Being in the dressing room surrounded by the 9 in a row Legends with Mr Smith and Mr Knox

Did you buy ice cream from Boab and he gave you the wrong thing?

Spoke to him when doing corporate at Ibrox.

I asked him when he would be back in the first team (he had been injured) and his reply was "when the fùcking manager fùcking picks me". Not a great way to present yourself in the middle of the Ibrox Suite when meeting corporate guests.

Used to get my paper from Peter Weir's shop, ex Sheep, in Mount Florida. Nice guy, spoke well of the Gers.

Met all these guys at David lloyd gym in Corstorphine Edinburgh over 20 years
Lee Wallace- great guy happy to chat about football
Dave McPherson - good guy played tennis on same courts at same time not against him though- happy to chat, he was talking ahead of our uefa cup final
Scott Brown - genuinely quiet guy, very polite.
Paul Hartley when with Hearts - he seemed preoccupied didn’t want to engage in conversation with the likes of me

Met Numan a couple of years ago in Club 29 . He was a top man and was him that suggested a selfie with him .
Have met Jamie Redknapp a few times ,again a good guy. Loves to talk about golf more than football.
Jamie tried to steal my golf clubs of the carousel at glasgow airport,we had very similar carry cases,i went up and said to him that i thought they were my clubs and he was really embarrassed,stood and talked to him and Louise for a good ten minutes while he was waiting on his clubs,he was going to play Loch Lomond the following day and i said to him i was available if they were short of players and he just laughed,both Jamie and Louise were very down to earth and friendly

Lee Martin (anyone remember him?) was in once and spent the whole time on his mobile. A wee lad went up to him and he just waved him away.
Was he the on-loan winger from down south?
Seem to recall (if it's the same guy) that he came across as an egotistical wee wanker in any interviews that he did.

Met Jose Quitongo in my local. Nice guy.

Moussa Dembele - didnt say much but posed for photos with my Celtic pal.

Arthur Numan - Legend. Great guy who was happy to stand and chat away.

Ray McKinnon (ex Dundee United Manager) - Thought a bit highly of himself. That will have changed now.

Bruno Alves - just waved and wandered on.

Gary Kenneth - This was just before his "big money move down south". An absolute wa**er who thought he was God's Gift.

Shankland - Good guy. Had a lot of time for everyone and just seemed down to earth.

A few months back there was also a Scottish Championship player who was pals with one of the guys in our group. Sound guy but did tell me numerous times not to grass on him for doing Cocaine that night - because he could get drug tested. Mental

Think more of them are up to it than you would think, even in the Scottish Premiership.

The only Rangers people I've ever spoken to outside Ibrox were Ally Dawson, Hugh Burns and Alex Totten. They were in Gatwick airport back in 1985 coming back from a friendly at Stamford Bridge. Genuinely good guys. Another very nice guy that I met in Dundee many years ago was Jim Duffy. He struck me as being very genuine and a real football man.

Spoke for ages with Numan, on the Orlando airport train, really down to earth and all round nice guy. He had a black eye that a PSV fan gave him, the fan really wanted him to stay.

Standing in the taxi queue around midnight, outside Central station in the mid 1980's. There had been a Scotland game earlier that day. Willie Miller and Alex McLeish appeared and jumped into the first taxi without waiting their turn.

Luckily for them the taxi sped off quickly as they would have been lynched by the mob.

off the top of my head (in my restaurant work days)

absolute gent - Davie Cooper

decent/good guys:

Ally McCoist
Stuart McCall
Paolo di Canio
Paul McStay
Peter Grant
Willie McStay

wanks

Pierre van Hooijdonk
Morten Weighorst
Jackie McNamara
Simon Donnelly
I will stick up for simon donnelly,he came to Davie Hagen’s Golf day in falkirk as my guest along with Hugh Burns,Bobby Russell and John McDonald ,Simon took absolute pelters from the three ex Rangers players because he a jump the dyke and to be fair he took it all in great spirit and gave it back,my impression of him is he’s a quiet down to earth guy

I met quite a few over the years with working in Hotels.
The most arrogant Khant was Ruud Gullit when he stayed, was an absolute Khunt of a man.

Ally and Gazza were far the gentlemen and characters.

Met Davie Moyes in One Up night club about 10 years ago. Stood and chatted away to him at the bar and he was brand new. I asked him if the rumours were true that he grew up a Rangers fan which he admitted he did and that his father took him to away games in Europe

Met gazza (who was my footballing hero) when i was young and was just star struck and didnt know what to say to him but was really nice and came round to shake my hand and say hello.

It was in a sports division in east kilbride am sure and he was signing big posters which somebody stole from my house, rats whoever they are. I also met laudrup in the same circumstances but was more composed that poster got stole as well.

met Albertz and Numan last year at a night

ok they were being weighed in for the appearance but both were brand new

Through work used to get to numerous games at St. James.

Sir Bobby used to come into the restaurant at the ground we used and was a brilliant man, always had time for fans (while trying to eat his pre match lunch).
Peter Beardsley was brilliant as well, my sons found him to be brilliant to chat with, take pics etc.
Bobby Moncur, absolute gentleman, he liked us.

Was down for the last game of the season one year and managed to take a mate rather than a client for the game (pretended he was a client..)
We stayed in the Malmaison and after a very pleasant evening ended up back in the bar and got chatting to Kenny Dalgliesh, his lovely wife Marina and some bloke from Sky. He was co commentator next day.
He was very stand offish at first but us laughing with Marina broke that down.

We made it clear we were Bears but focused on general football chat, I mentioned that I always feared him being on the ball when watching him. Cited the Tam Forsyth final as an example. Told him I felt the scum never really appreciated him and mentioned I'd gone to to pre season game they played Vs Sunderland one year. Both had won respective FA cup's season before.
His initial response why I'd gone to the pig dhome and countered that my interest was as a football supporter not just obsessed with Rangers...oh how that has changed :)
The point I made that I was amazed how much stick was given over any little mistake he made and how l perceived he was not properly appreciated Vs how much I as a Ranger supporter i feared him and his ability to create or score great goals.
He at first denied my observation but interestingly sort of came around to agree. Marina's reactions to this discussion was interesting..I felt a nerve had been touched.

Alan Mclaren after a Hearts legends charity match thing at Tynecastle a relative played in was such a down to earth man.

I had to walk away as I had run out of things to ask him or he would still probably be there now haha. Same when I met him outside Ibrox once not long after he had to retire, just so patient and relaxed.

Lee Miller, sold him a dodgy box and didn't recognise him. His house is unreal. Wasn't til his Mrs (stunning) said to him maybe your games will be on here I was like eh?

Took me a day or so to realise who he was. Went down another couple of times and one of his boys was at the same nursery as mine. So met him there also. Lovely guy as well. Great family.

Craig Burley and Craig Brown where nice, met them at a Scotland training session I won the chance to go watch at school. I asked Neil McCann for his autograph, he was the only one to say no. He did say get you outside though but not as if could just walk in and out of a closed session training session. Always pissed me off that.

Richard Gough looked at me as if I was a weirdo and walked right on past when I met him.

Also Craig Moore after the Negri Dundee United game, I was near the players suite getting autographs as they came out and my youngest brother, maybe about 8ish years old shouted, Moore! To get his attention for an autograph, and he walked back and gave him into bother for shouting on someone by their second name. Asked him his and would he like if he shouted him by ours.

Thought he was a bit of a twat for that but just recently he said on his open goal interview that, that game was like the worst of his career as his wife/partner miscarried that morning.

Just shows you never know what's going on with anyone.

Rio Ferdinand : Arrogant knob
Chris Coleman : Sound and happy to chat
McCoist : Great laugh, finished everything in his path during a game of 7s
Durrant : Looked after us brilliantly during a trip to Murray Park
Neil Lennon : Decent, well mannered guy. Played against him and got a football lesson in how to keep the game simple

Tin hat on for that last one

Was in Gordon Strachans company for a rare visit to a Scotland game and sat next to him for the full game. Whatever his connection to the scum he was a very decent and funny guy.

One that always springs into my mind is Sebastian Rozental before a game at Ibrox, spent loads of time signing autographs and speaking to people for ages. Proper gent, wish he never got injured

Went to the World Cup in Brazil and was waiting for a taxi outside my hotel to go to the Spain v Chile game wearing my Scotland top when Gordon Strachan walked past. He said hello and asked if I was enjoying myself. I was a bit dumbstruck and said “Eh, aye fuckin blindin”. After the game was heading for the underground and Pat Nevin came up to me and started chatting. Talked a bit a bit about the game then went on his way. Really nice guy.

Kenny Dalglish in a petrol station in shawlands around 1989, gentleman, sold him an early edition Record.

Ian Durrant, funny guy, very down to earth.

Ally Mcoist in Queen St outside the bookies, gentleman.

Alex Rae, nice guy, played 5s with his young brother on occasion

Nicky Clark in the megastore, nice guy.

Ian Ferguson, went to see Cubby Brown in the city halls with his nephew and he was in our company, I wore a green shirt because I lost a bet. He tore me to shreds but a real good guy.

Stefan Klos, randomly walking down west George St when I stopped him to say hello, he seemed like he was in a hurry but not impolite.

Greame Dorrans twice, he came to our boys team presetation to hand out the trophys when he was with Clyde, met him again at a mutual friends funeral last year. Nice guy

Nacho Novo, my oldest is friendly with him. Nice guy.

David Marshall, my oldest was training with him at Largs years ago, he was in front of us in the lunch que when I asked for a pic. Gentleman.

John Hartson, drove by him in the town and rolled the window down and called him a fat ginger bastard, he shouted back he was a rich ginger bastard and blew me a kiss. Wank.

Always used to have a quick chat with ian durrant in the kinning park area every year on a Saturday morning in july. Usually the Saturday before the 12th.

I met Darren Jackson at the last T in the Park. Had always assumed he was a prick due to the clubs he played for, but he came across as very decent, chatting about Scottish football during the nineties, and asking what bands I was there to see. Appreciated that, as I had remembered him as a player who always used to score against us when I was wee, him and that Kjell Olofsson from Dundee Utd. Was nice to see a so called childhood “enemy” wasn’t that bad at all.

Also, my next door neighbour when I was growing up used to be Ally Mitchell, who played for Kilmarnock. He scored the winning goal at Ibrox that effectively ended our hopes of 10 in a row and then I seen him out walking his dog the next day. I was just a wee boy, so I think I said something cheeky to him and then sped off on my bike, he just laughed. He seemed a nice guy, from what I can remember.
I was at college with his now mother in law at that time (ally Mitchell) she said after that game, they were expecting him to be bouncing cause he scored. She said he came in sat down, and said “what have I done?!?” Put his head in his hands.

I’ve met quite a lot of our players over the years and the only one that was not that nice was Barry Ferguson . First ever game for me at Ibrox aged 12 and he was one of my favourites even though he wasn’t playing much for first team(97-98) season and his attitude was stinking to a bunch of kids who had waited in the pouring rain for him .

Met Pele once in London, still have his autograph on a map. I must have been about 10 (26 now) but can still smell his BO like it was yesterday. Horrible.

Was winding up Charlie Mulgrew in town one night, he replied tiocfaidh ár lá wee man. He was a Scottish international at the time, scum bag.

cool stories bro

Back