Footballers you have met: nice or rude

Met Ally McCoist at the UEFA Cup in 2007 at Hampden when Espanyol played Seville, he was brand new, took the time to get his photo with me as Ian Durrant was telling him to hurry up as they were going into the ground.
Met Alex Rae at Glasgow Airport, great bloke.
When me and a mate did hospitality at Ibrox a couple of years ago it was a pleasure to meet Colin Stein and Willie Johnston.

Met Gazza at Duck Bay, he'd not long signed for us and he was sat at the bar on his own. I was a bit nervous about going upto ask for his autograph, so while I was buying a drink for a bird I was with, I just wished him well at Rangers and shook his hand.

Before that though....

Met Derek Johnstone in a pub in Bridge of Weir where he was telling his mates he could've signed for Arsenal when he was younger, I asked for his autograph, he signed a beer mat and shook my hand. Still one of my favourite players. A gent too.

Last edited:
Goram - Meh (was on the drink at the time)
McCoist - I was in awe
De Boer - Carried him to a seat in Trash
Mols - Gentleman
Numan - As above
Lee Wallace - Nice guy
David Templeton - Nice
Archie Knox - surprisingly friendly
Barry Ferguson - literally nothing good to say about him
Gough - Gent
Marvin Andrews - Happiest big guy I've ever met
Klos - let him on a ride at Loudoun Castle with his two children (meant to be two to a car, not dangerous in anyway though), Weighorst was there the next day and I made him do two seperate runs
Current Irish St Mirren Manager - was at my cousin's wedding and I still don't know why
Alan Hutton - met him out in killie plenty of times, always happy to chat
Kris Boyd - we have a mutual friend and he was fine anytime I've spokent to him

Gordon Smith - legend, absolute gentleman.
Tugay - cool, calculated, pleasant.
Ikechi Anya - nice guy, only chatted for a few seconds.

Met Kevin Keegan when I was about 14 in Braehead when he launched his soccer school and he stood and chatted to me and my step dad for a good 20 minutes, lovely guy, very polite and absolutely loved talking about football.

My old man won 20k on football pools in the 90s and I had dinner with the 9iar squad, got all the photos with Gazza, gough, Goram, coisty etc but was about 3 year old and it pains me that I can’t remember much of it.

Bumped into Emlyn Hughes many years ago . Brilliant guy who took the time to chat with 4 pished Scots for 15-20 mins.
Played golf with Nicky Walker, just a big daft goalie. Ally Dawson great lad, Robert Prytz good lad. Used to chat to Bobby McKean at Arthurlie matches when played midweek, good guy.
By far the best though was the real Davy Provan. Big Davy used to take hours getting home from his shopping, he’d talk to anyone in the town that wanted to talk football.

Was at a doo in the Hilton Glasgow.

My old man named me after John Greig, and it had always been a wish of mine to meet him.

Standing at the urinal, look to my left, and there is the great man!

Obviously let him finish up, but then asked if he would come outside so my then gf could take a photo of us.

Couldn't have been nicer. Top man.

Sadly the ex gf took the photo with her and haven't seen it since :-(

Met a good few over the years.
Amo and Arthur Numan stand out.
Met Mols before an OF game at Parkhead.
When going to collect tickets on Saturday there, met big Marv and Juke Box.
All have been fine to be honest.

Non Rangers............came across Jonathan Gould and Jackie McNamara in Why Not. Gould was OK. McNamara was steaming. I was with a Celtic fan........
Alex Smith in his Falkirk pub - total gentlemen. Really nice guy.
Frank McClintock - another really nice guy.

Spent ages talking to big marv one night at a do. Guys happiness is infectious, offered to but him a drink and didnt clciked the guys teetotal

Goram - Meh (was on the drink at the time)
McCoist - I was in awe
De Boer - Carried him to a seat in Trash
Mols - Gentleman
Numan - As above
Lee Wallace - Nice guy
David Templeton - Nice
Archie Knox - surprisingly friendly
Barry Ferguson - literally nothing good to say about him
Gough - Gent
Marvin Andrews - Happiest big guy I've ever met
Klos - let him on a ride at Loudoun Castle with his two children (meant to be two to a car, not dangerous in anyway though), Weighorst was there the next day and I made him do two seperate runs
Current Irish St Mirren Manager - was at my cousin's wedding and I still don't know why
Alan Hutton - met him out in killie plenty of times, always happy to chat
Kris Boyd - we have a mutual friend and he was fine anytime I've spokent to him

Good.

Met a good few over the years.
Amo and Arthur Numan stand out.
Met Mols before an OF game at Parkhead.
When going to collect tickets on Saturday there, met big Marv and Juke Box.
All have been fine to be honest.

Non Rangers............came across Jonathan Gould and Jackie McNamara in Why Not. Gould was OK. McNamara was steaming. I was with a Celtic fan........
Alex Smith in his Falkirk pub - total gentlemen. Really nice guy.
Frank McClintock - another really nice guy.

What pub does Smith have in Falkirk?

I was always terrified of meeting Barry Ferguson due to him being THE Rangers hero of my generation, and hearing countless stories about him not being very pleasant. Fair enough it was at a players do so they're expected to be at least friendly, but he was brand new. Was ganting and in awe on first glance but couple of pints allowed me to approach him and he was magic along with Big Lee. Dare say if met him in his younger days may have been different but I was delighted none the less.

Last edited:
What was Ian black up to? :)

Met plenty in the early 90s in The Tunnel or in Arkaos who were all sound Stephen Wright,Craig Burley and particularly Scott Wilson were the friendliest.
Jackie McNamara was a bit of a dick to one of my mates who was a celtic fan when he went to speak to him,he was really annoyed when he came back over to us as we were all watching and were laughing at him getting told to GTF, he did give McNamara some abuse in return though.

He Stayed very near Gary O'Connor at the time, about as far as I am willing to go.

Nearly forgot Titus Bramble, utter arsehole of a guy, who refused to pay for work we did to his house, even the threat of legal action couldn't get him to pay up.

Literally just grunted at you when you spoke to him.

Sunderland ended up coughing up in the end.

As i said in an earlier p
I was always terrified of meeting Barry Ferguson due to him being THE Rangers hero of my generation, and hearing countless stories about him not being very pleasant. Fair enough it was at a players do so they're expected to be at least friendly, but he was brand new. Was ganting and in awe on first glance but couple of pints allowed me to approach him and he was magic along with Big Lee. Dare say if met him in his younger days may have been different but I was delighted none the less.
As i said in an earlier post me and my dad have the same fears. Two of my heroes growing up and im named after barry. He's a working class boy made good tbh so i doubt he enjoys all the attention, although it does come with the job. Genuinely scared to see him, big lee i've met before and hes a top bloke so would have no fears there. I think id be too scared to ask barry to sign something

As i said in an earlier p

As i said in an earlier post me and my adda have the same fears. two of my heroes growing up and im named after barry. Hes a working class boy made good tbh so i doubt he enjoys all the attention, although it does come with the job. Genuinely scared to see him, big lee i've met before and hes a top bloke so would have no fears there. I think id be too scared to ask barry to sign something

I got them both to sign the 07/08 home top, UEFA cup one to me, still not got it framed. Like I say, lucky in that he was kind of being paid to be nice and had the couple of jars in me to quell the fear, cos I know would've been gutted if he was an arse about it.

Met Richard Gough at the charity dinner in the raddisson blu after the legends game v Man U a few years ago. He was was really rude.
I had bought the top that was released for the game and planned on trying to get everyone that played to sign it and framing it. Gough refused saying I was planning on selling it on ebay! I’ve still got the top never got it framed though.
Sickening when you meet a hero and they turn out to be like that. He was maybe just having a bad day
That's not like Richard as he is always aware he represents Rangers, no matter where he is.
I was actually meant to go and meet him that night in the Raddison when he phoned me and explained something that happened, not for FF but believe me, you would be raging as well

Jason Holt- sound as, lovely lad
Pedro Caixhina- Again very friendly and sound
Dalcio and Cardoso- Sound, chatted and posed for pics
David Moyes- Quiet but pleasant
Gary Caldwell- Nice guy
Walter Smith- Absolute legend and a total gent
Craig Brown- Total gentleman
Alan Hutton- quiet but pleasant
Anne Budge- lovely woman, chatted for a good while about Scottish Football and Hearts
Paul Gascogne - Legend
Andy Goram- Very chatty and friendly
Andy Walker- took the banter well
Murdo MacLeod- Knob, full of his own self importance. His eldest daughter is my cousin‘s ex
Mick McCarthey- Gentleman
Mark McGhee- Gentleman

rude - LEE MCCULLOCH , Prick of a man
( I collect old and current player pics with autographs and down in dumfries it was a testimonial with legends playing and some ex such as Wylde, and Hutton , I shouted on lee to come over sign my pic for me before 2nd half he declined it took the ref to see it and told him to go over to me and get it signed)

nice- Parlane & Albertz

Nicest ex player I’ve ever met was Colin Jackson when he used to do the hospitality suite’s.

Graham Roberts was also brand new

Jason Holt- sound as, lovely lad
Pedro Caixhina- Again very friendly and sound
Dalcio and Cardoso- Sound, chatted and posed for pics
David Moyes- Quiet but pleasant
Gary Caldwell- Nice guy
Walter Smith- Absolute legend and a total gent
Craig Brown- Total gentleman
Alan Hutton- quiet but pleasant
Anne Budge- lovely woman, chatted for a good while about Scottish Football and Hearts
Paul Gascogne - Legend
Andy Goram- Very chatty and friendly
Andy Walker- took the banter well
Murdo MacLeod- Knob, full of his own self importance. His eldest daughter is my cousin‘s ex
Mick McCarthey- Gentleman
Mark McGhee- Gentleman

Quite surreal seeing Anne Budge in between Gazza and Alan Hutton lol

Met Arthur numan at a soft play in Hamilton. Our kids were toddling about playing with each other. Brilliant guy.

Met Michael mols, regi blinker and Aaron winter in Strathaven. They couldn't have been more pleasant.

Served Walter Smith in a bar - was decent although the interaction was fleeting.

Billy mcneil was a decent chap too. Served him in a pub too when I was 19. The guy I was working with was a yahoo and asked to get his picture taken with Mcneil. Mcneil duly obliged. Mcneil then asked if I wanted my picture taken too. I told him my father would never forgive me. The whole bar erupted and Mcneil took it well.

off the top of my head (in my restaurant work days)

absolute gent - Davie Cooper

decent/good guys:

Ally McCoist
Stuart McCall
Paolo di Canio
Paul McStay
Peter Grant
Willie McStay

wanks

Pierre van Hooijdonk
Morten Weighorst
Jackie McNamara
Simon Donnelly

Last edited:
Big Albertz and Peter Lovenkrands are two of the nicest guys you could meet.

John Greig was just awesome. My gaffer was mates with his son and we had to do a homer in his gaff.

Larsson, Bobo Balde and Blinker where really nice as well, although Bobo Balde couldn’t quite get his head around why I was wearing a Colombia top and looked at me in bewilderment when I tried to explain it was a tenner down the Forge Market.

Danny Mcgrain - w4nker.

Billy Dodd -Weapons grade tadger.

McCoist - just what you’d imagine him to be, an unbelievably likeable and charismatic guy

Numan - incredibly polite

Mols - very nice guy

Albertz - great guy, he was my hero at the time so was probably my favourite player to meet

Thern - also a really nice polite guy

In fact now that I think about it I haven’t really had any issues with any players I’ve met. Van Bronkhorst, Goram, Gattuso, Kanchelskis, McCann, Porrini, Amo, Ferguson, Lovenkrands, Durie, Rod Wallace etc were all very nice. Colin Hendry ended up sending me signed photos, and Barry Ferguson sent me brother a signed photo so that was particularly nice. As much as I have a go at Lafferty on here for his career he’s a pleasant enough guy to talk to. I always remember the Kanchelskis one because it was a few days before we went to the piggery and I was giving it “I really hope you score a couple against them!”, he was saying “I hope so, it’s a very big game” - we got scudded 5-1 ffs.

Darren O’Dea = wank

rude - LEE MCCULLOCH , Prick of a man
( I collect old and current player pics with autographs and down in dumfries it was a testimonial with legends playing and some ex such as Wylde, and Hutton , I shouted on lee to come over sign my pic for me before 2nd half he declined it took the ref to see it and told him to go over to me and get it signed)

nice- Parlane & Albertz
That derek Lyles testamonial

Met Alan Thompson in Belfast airport a few years ago when I was flying over to Glasgow for the big walk. Really sound and chatted for ages. Couldn’t stop laughing when I told him what I was going to Glasgow for, as his mate “Lenny” had dropped him off at the airport( after they’d been at a coaching course in Belfast) and he was sure he would loved to of met a couple of bandsmen.

Super Ally - great guy, just one of the boys
Scott Wilson - good guy
Michael Mols - Gentlemen
Craig Moore - not a fan
Graeme Souness - Class personified
Terry Butcher - good guy
Ian Ferguson - good guy
Mark Walters - good guy
Andy Little - good guy
Gazza - good guy
Sergio Porrini - awkward
Lionel Charbonnier - same as above
Charlie Miller - good guy
Neale Cooper - amazing guy and took time with me when I was just a young boy.
James Grady(Dundee) - actually a nice guy who took the banter well.
Tom Boyd - surprisingly decent
Lennon - again surprisingly decent
Jose Quitongo - good guy

I’ve saw a lot more out and about but bottled it to ask for a photo or talk to them, I just think when they are having personal time they should be left to it.

Met a fair few players over the years. Christian Nerlinger was the most random chap ever. Me and my mate were in the Shed in Shawlands one Sunday. We started chatting to him and he bought us a couple of drinks. Went to the pisser and he started barking at me. Straight up barking. Wierdo. Then popcorn teeth came in and Nerlinger says to us. Sorry guys I need to go before this guy (Lennon) wants to shake my hand!!!!

Nigel Spackman. Genuinely lovely guy. He'd just been told a few days earlier that he was getting sold (which really disappointed me as he was one of my favourite players). He seemed really upset that he was going to have to leave. I was absolutely gutted for him.

I met loads through the 90's as my dad was involved in the game. Most were ok. Got a t-shirt from albertz in the 8 in a row day

Was in the company of Goram in the metro one night. Must have been mid-late 90s. A bigger wanker I have yet to encounter

Used to work at the Old Inns petrol station in Cumbernauld and noticed Steven Pressley standing in the queue waiting to pay for petrol. He gets to the counter and I ask "Alright Elvis?"

"Just the fucking fuel wee man"

Fucking bawhum

That's obviously poor but i must admit to fucking howling at that reply.

Can just picture it in his daft poundshop version Sean Connery accent.

I met Ray Wilkins outside of Ibrox before he tragically passed away, I can’t state as to how much of a gentleman he was.

took pics happily with everyone, I told him he was a part of Rangers folklore for that goal against Celtic, he looked me in the eye, shook my hand firmly and said “Well thank you very much” in his cockney accent, was a fantastic moment and I feel a wee bit emotional typing it.

Met a few.

Jim Baxter - Hilarious, was at the Races and I was younger but remember he had me laughing lots.
Alex Rae - Again at the Races, not long after he signed and he was brand new, talked away.
Alan Shearer - One of my footballing heroes, A prick, wish I had never met him.
A few Rangers legends, all brand new - Goram, Amo, McCann, Numan, Boyd and more.
Ian Black - when he played for us, billy bigbaws who would have been sacked for what he was up to.

Do tell.

Edit, see you've answered this.

Last edited:
I met Darren Jackson at the last T in the Park. Had always assumed he was a prick due to the clubs he played for, but he came across as very decent, chatting about Scottish football during the nineties, and asking what bands I was there to see. Appreciated that, as I had remembered him as a player who always used to score against us when I was wee, him and that Kjell Olofsson from Dundee Utd. Was nice to see a so called childhood “enemy” wasn’t that bad at all.

Also, my next door neighbour when I was growing up used to be Ally Mitchell, who played for Kilmarnock. He scored the winning goal at Ibrox that effectively ended our hopes of 10 in a row and then I seen him out walking his dog the next day. I was just a wee boy, so I think I said something cheeky to him and then sped off on my bike, he just laughed. He seemed a nice guy, from what I can remember.

Last edited:
Recently met:

Marvin Andrew's
Gordon Durie

Both lovely men, marv had the chat tho it was like chatting to your mate.

Met loads through the work

Walter - great guy
Stevie G - gent
Ally - great guy
Numan - hilarious
Mols - gent
Mcgregor - great guy
Goldson - funny guy

Non rangers

Harston - ok
A Cole - one of them
G Lineker - ok
G Best - one of the nicest ever
B Mcneil - polite

Not met many but I was in bamboo the night Aiden McGeady got a kicking and he looked like a bit of a weapon. Then again I wasn't particularly happy to be in bamboo either.

I did meet Arveladze and he was as sound as can be.

My mate met Arthur Numan recently and had a ton of good things to say about him, seems everyone that's met him thinks the same.

I had plenty of stories from when you could just walk up to Jordanhill and watch the training 3 times a week and I've forgotten most of them due to my recreational habits as a younger man. Mind is blank apart from Davie Dodds toeing my mate right up the arse for calling him the elephant man. Lifted him right off the ground. Imagine the furore these days.
At least he hit the target.

My brother and his young son were down at a Blackburn game and after waiting for a bit he got all the players autographs apart from one big pompous arrogant bstrd.

Back