Footballers you have met: nice or rude

Spoke to Ally very briefly 25 years ago, I was completely awestruck and could barely get any words out. I’d still be like that with him now.

Gary Stevens - called my work to arrange for someone I worked with to pick up tickets. I mentioned I was a Rangers fan so we chatted for a while and he got an extra ticket for me.

Nizzy - great guy.

Forgot some more,

Knew James Mccarthy since he was 8. He played with boys in their 20' every day at the red ash pitch across the road from our houses. Stood out even at that age. He fell out with me because I gave him grief for choosing Ireland. I said Scotland gave you everything, your education etc. Wank. My youngest brother booted him in the balls and made him cry.

Sean Fallon, Jock Steins assistant manager. Had no idea who he was til it was pointed out to me in my work. A lovely old school Irish man who knew I was a young Gers man who went to every game and talked away to me all the time. Think it was around the Advocaat years, but he always spoke nicely of our club and spoke to me about both teams. He was really a lovely man.

Steven Hamill, ex Motherwell captain, nice guy. One of my brothers is good pals with his brother. Sold Steven a dodgy box as well haha.

Charlie Miller in the Ladbrokes in Castlemilk on my walk home from school lots of times lol. Always knew he was in there if his white Honda club issued car was outside. Gazza was there also but I missed that time. Gave me his autograph no probs.

Bougherra was just a big smiley nice guy. The burd he was with was beautiful. Got a pic with him and an autograph.

Kenny Dalglish in a petrol station in shawlands around 1989, gentleman, sold him an early edition Record.

Ian Durrant, funny guy, very down to earth.

Ally Mcoist in Queen St outside the bookies, gentleman.

Alex Rae, nice guy, played 5s with his young brother on occasion

Nicky Clark in the megastore, nice guy.

Ian Ferguson, went to see Cubby Brown in the city halls with his nephew and he was in our company, I wore a green shirt because I lost a bet. He tore me to shreds but a real good guy.

Stefan Klos, randomly walking down west George St when I stopped him to say hello, he seemed like he was in a hurry but not impolite.

Greame Dorrans twice, he came to our boys team presetation to hand out the trophys when he was with Clyde, met him again at a mutual friends funeral last year. Nice guy

Nacho Novo, my oldest is friendly with him. Nice guy.

David Marshall, my oldest was training with him at Largs years ago, he was in front of us in the lunch que when I asked for a pic. Gentleman.

John Hartson, drove by him in the town and rolled the window down and called him a fat ginger bastard, he shouted back he was a rich ginger bastard and blew me a kiss. Wank.
Have to say, that Hartson one is pretty funny!

Met him in Trash nightclub back in the say, my mate went over and spoke to him.
He was very polite, appreciated the guy was a celtc fan but wanted to be left alone.
We told one of the other boys we worked with but he didn't seem to care that Hartson just wanted a night out and was promptly told to 'fùck off' and called a fat bastard too!

I've met loads of players through the years, Charlie Miller was the only one who I ever found to be a bit rude.
Absolutely shat it from approaching John Greig at the Rangers charity golf day.
I did remove my baseball cap as I shuffled past him though!

Met Strachan and Gary Mac when down at Leeds game - in a lounge - both superb guys . Talked away about Rangers and Celtic for about 20 mins before they were dragged away by a member of staff to do a meet and greet.

Been in the fortunate position to meet quite a few Rangers players over the years. All were superb and cannot fault any of them.

Met Kieren Gibbs when in Thailand - he had just broken into the Arsenal squad and had paid for all his mates to go on holiday. Decent lad and kept himself to himself ..

Bumped into Charlie Miller in Chicago Meatpackers pub in Hope st about 20 years ago. He was playing for Watford at the time. He was in meeting Craig Moore.
chatting away to him as you do and I offered to buy him a pint to which he replied “ no I’ll get you and your friends a drink” which was four of us in total.

thought that was a cracking gesture as-he didn’t need to do that whilst waiting for Oz to show

Two who I have met and who also regularly get slaughtered on here are Broadfoot and Charlie Adam. This was a good few years ago while they were both at St Mirren and I was in hospitality there through work. Both were perfectly pleasant - Charlie Adam said that all he was thinking about was getting back to Rangers and trying to establish himself.

Yes he did have a Mols jersey but you’re right about the dates. He took his Mols jersey to the States when he went to university there in 2000. No one had heard of him. Mols not my son that is Doesn’t time flash by when you’re getting older!

He must have been wearing his Coisty top when he met AG. He only met 2 Rangers players - both strikers - his own favourite position!

Was in the rah when i was a teenager and two celtic players were in talking to patients they came over to my bed asking how I was etc they were shocked i didn't know who they were and telling me that they played for celtic the nurse ushered them away im not 100% sure but i think they were paul mcstay and john collins but they just came across as up there own arses

Allan mcmanas stayed near my exs parents played for hibs hearts was recently caretaker manager for st mirren and does there youth coaching alright funny bloke but his missus was some bit of gear :p

Met a few Jock Wallace,Walter,Big DJ and Tav all great and I wasn't disappointed.
The one that stays with me was about 3-4 seasons ago I was fortunate to have hospitality,I was walking along the corridor with my Mrs towards the Thornton Suite and I noticed this elderly gentleman standing on his own,so I stopped,Mr Hubbard? I asked,he said yes and we had a good chat where he told me stories about his penalty record and scoring against celtic.Being more my Dads era I told him that my Dad used to talk about him as one of his favourite players.As I left he said "tell your Dad I was asking for him".He wasn't to know but my Dad has been dead for over 30 years.It kinda choked me up a wee bit,but what a nice thing to say.

I’ve met John Grieg at Manchester 08, as he was about to leave for the game, he shook my hand and we had a wee chat. Made my trip.
Met Durrant and D Ferguson in the dentist at Kinning park as a kid, then met Durrant in the district a few times as an adult, a really nice guy, great banter between him and a lot of the locals. Funny.
Also Super many times, better company you’ll struggle to meet, right into his music as well as football. Great guy.
My brother has met loads but Rangers related, he is pals with Goram and Gary Mac, from their Coventry days along with Strachan.

I've met Michael Mols a few times and he's been brand new every time. I was a slobbering drunkard when I met him at the RST dinner, so power to him for putting up with my shite.

Went to watch my local non-league team at Cheltenham who had Andy Gray playing - not long after he left Rangers and gave up full professional football through injury.

My young son, decked in his Michael Mols shirt asked for his autograph after the match. He took him to the players lounge, introduced him to the players, got him a coke and some sandwiches and spent over half an hour with him. That alone made my son a football, and Andy Gray, fan for ever.

He didn’t need to do that but he did. Respect.

Sounds like a pleasant experience, but struggling to join the dots here.

I've never met any Rangers players or Managers. If ever given the choice, it would be only Jock Wallace & Coop, who gave me the greatest football memories ever. Magical times, in fact.

Was working at Graeme Murtys house and he was the nicest guy you could meet. Months later, while he was manager, I was sitting in the waiting room at Ibrox reception for a meeting with someone else at the club. Training had been cancelled that day and a coach with the full team turned up. Graeme recognised me and spent ten minutes chatting even tho he was really busy with the team.

I was lucky enough one time to get vip tickets for the match against them, ended up drinking champagne and talking football in the Blue room with Ronald DeBoer, Arthur Numan and John Greig. It was quite surreal let me tell you lol
Took my nephew out one day for autographs and just when we thought it was no joy Gazza got dropped off at Edminson in a blacked out Range rover, he still looked steamin haha but he was brilliant! Shook Walters hand ten minutes after that when he came out with Alex Cleland, we then headed over to the old anniesland training ground and just as we arrived, we met Laudrup. Gentlemen every one of them, Happy days

Forgot some more,

Knew James Mccarthy since he was 8. He played with boys in their 20' every day at the red ash pitch across the road from our houses. Stood out even at that age. He fell out with me because I gave him grief for choosing Ireland. I said Scotland gave you everything, your education etc. Wank. My youngest brother booted him in the balls and made him cry.

Cap doffed to your brother, sir - his input was swift and to the point. Excellent!

Another one a bit further back. Would have been around 10 and was playing with the school team in a tourney at the old pitches across from main stand and we were going for stadium tour after it. On way over I tripped and was knocked out cold. Woke up in the Rangers medical room, many cups of very sweet tea later, Mark Hatley and another player I didn't recognise came to see me, brought a bag full of stuff, old programmes, pennants, keyring, signed pictures etc. Still have it almost 30 years later.

My experience wasn’t meeting a footballer but back in 1978 I was at Hampden with a group from my high school. Scotland v Norway before the 78 World Cup. At the end of the game me and a couple of guys got separated from the rest of the group and went round to the front of the main stand to wait and get collected. We ended up being put in the police lost persons portakabin. In walks Rod Stewart with a leggy blonde in a leopard print outfit. He spoke to some of the boys and left after a couple of minutes. Back then he was mainly a celebrity Scotland fan and being only 12 I was awestruck but I’d have some choice words for him if I ever saw again.

I’ve met a few but also worked in a few footballers houses

Harris Vukic was friendly enough. He had a bird walking about in his house that had a Rangers strip on from before his time which I found a bit weird.

Patrick Roberts was decent for one of them. Tipped me £50 after I ripped him about his miss in the semi final against us and got a bit of banter back and forward

Andy little is a good guy and I do a bit of work for him now. Came down and helped out and the kids football training one night when I was coaching and it gave the boys a boost to see someone that actually played the game help them out.

Jim Forrest is a cracking guy. Him and his mrs were always chatting away and making you tea and things to eat. I didn’t know who he was when I first worked in his house then my tradesmen told me so I was quizzing jim for ages and he was happy to sit and tell me stories of his time at Ibrox, much to the annoyance of my mentally challenged tradesman lol

Jason Cummings before he was at Ibrox and lived in a top floor flat near Easter Road. Place was manky and he was an arrogant prick.

Not a footballer but also worked in Dominic keane’s house. What a pad this was and we were taking out a kitchen that was worth a right few quid and didn’t have a mark on it to replace it with something similar. Dismantled the kitchen carefully and sold it on lol. Wasn’t the friendliest of people and thought he was better than anyone
Better than anyone? The kunt came from a tenement above Bairds Bar in the Gallowgate.

Met David Beckham a few times. His best mate lived round the corner from me and they used to come to the local pub when Beckham was in London. He was a really nice bloke despite getting pestered for pics on some of his visits.

his level of fame it must be difficult to be normal, i dunno how he has dealt with that over the years

I met Chris Waddell when he made his debut for Falkirk in a 7-0 win over Clydebank. I was in hospitality at Brockville ( that’s another story). I had a short conversation with him. Decent guy.
I met John Wark in a pub in Kirkintilloch many years ago (Caspers) had a short conversation. Again decent guy no airs and graces.

Davie Hay, Fingers piano bar Edinburgh @ 2000.

Very nice guy after I called him a ¢°€@#+++#@ for about 20 minutes.

John Hughes. Walked into Foxes in Leith on Jan 1st @ 1995 and he was out his tits, I think it about 4am

Mike Galloway, wank, sold him Sky TV @ 1994 when he crippled

It's easier to call out cuntos, than the good guys of your own. This thread makes me realise that, our own aren't out of the ordinary, do when you take notice , it is one of the others.

Scott Wilson exception. Really nice bloke, good to his friends. Genuine guy .

I was in London donkeys ago and Joe Jordan was at the tube station. Me and my mate tried to start a friendly conversation thinking being Scottish might encourage a chat. He just seemed dour and totally uninterested. Maybe he didn’t have his teeth in !

Jorg Albertz, good guy.
Chris Woods. Gentleman.
McCoist and Gazza walked past me years ago, both blazing, but you could just tell they were having a riot. Gazza had the most horrendous yellow Versace shirt on. Would've been a fortune as well.
Again years ago, Jinty McGintys in Ashton Lane around Christmas time and a few Tim players came in. Pat Bonner was very pleasant. Peter Grant was ok, just to busy chatting up any female in there. Darius Dovecheck (not trying to spell his surname!) was holding up a wall he was that far gone. A complete tosser though was Gerry Creaney. Straight out of the "Do you know who I am" school.

Gough, winked at my wife, was gonnie hook him but he was playing on the Saturday.
Neil Cooper, met him at the bar in the Hilton, was sweating like a rapist,
Been on the bevvy the night before.
Andy Goram, pain in the arse.
Prince of Denmark, got my photo taken with him, a lot taller than I thought.
Colin Stein, my hero!
Big Kyle, bought me a drink, nice guy.

Barry Ferguson , prestwick airport , stopped for chat and a picture was brand new, said he was heading to Faro on a golf trip.

Numan , another one who couldn’t have been nicer a bit of a joker up for a laugh.

Albertz, totally different from Numan typically German quite reserved and more serious but was a gentleman was happy to chat and get a picture.

Mols , Top Bloke had plenty of time for a few fans who stopped him in Buchanan st.

Jamie tried to steal my golf clubs of the carousel at glasgow airport,we had very similar carry cases,i went up and said to him that i thought they were my clubs and he was really embarrassed,stood and talked to him and Louise for a good ten minutes while he was waiting on his clubs,he was going to play Loch Lomond the following day and i said to him i was available if they were short of players and he just laughed,both Jamie and Louise were very down to earth and friendly

Hate him. Louise was supposed to be mine lol. If you tell me she was ugly, I'll never forgive you.

John Greig. Ignorant
Colin Stein Great
Bud Johnston Great
Alex McDonald Great
Bomber Jackson Great
Johnny McDonald Great
Bobby Russell Great
Walter Smith Great
Dado Great
Robert Prytz Great
Dave McKinnon Great
Alex Ferguson Great.

Met loads throughout the years so might come back on if remember few stories.

Top of my head soundest are:

Derek McInnes - great guy and a friend.
Derek Ferguson - really funny guy
Owen Coyle - one of them but cracking guy
Super Ally - obviously
Ally McGraw - When Morton manager, Loves us btw and hates that mob.
Michael Ball - steamer but great guy

Ones I didn't like :

Richard Gough - met him few times and very strange tbh. Not most sociable at all.
Albertz - thought he was going to kill me for nearly spilling a drink on him
Levein - boring, arrogant degenerate gambler
Ian McCall - weirdo
Mark Venus (was assistant to Mowbray at Celtic) - one of strangest guys I have ever met

God - gent
John Greig - Gent
Amoruso- gent
Boyd - gent
Barry- gent
Mols - gent
Walter- gent
Eck - top class
Beasley - sound
Edu - arrogant
Bobby Williamson - wank and stole my 50pence off the pool table and jumped the queue.
Dixie Deans - gent
O’Halloran - quiet and strange
Broadfoot - sound but thick as mince
Craig Beattie - sound
Garry O Connor and Derek Riordan plus many of Hibs team around 2005 - mostly sound but aforementioned two were bellends.
Si Ferry - sound
Mikey Johnstone - quiet, normal lad but from dark side obviously, although his brother was a bear.
Alex Rae - was a prick to my wife
Charlie Miller - gent
Hugh Dallas - sound
Jeff Winter - sound
Charlie Mulgrew - sound
Joe Ledley - sound
Murray Davidson- Good lad and a good bear.
Craig Brown - wank and was quite taken aback when 10 year old me chinned him outside broadwood one day about Davie Robertson’s omission from the Scotland squad for that fin wingback Tosh McKinlay.

Most of these have either been fleeting or short interactions. Spent a decent amount of time in Eck and Charlie Millers (separately) company and both were absolutely tremendous. Amoruso and Walter aswell the same night as Eck and Amoruso was a decent guy and told many a great story. Walter was quiet but I didn’t really have the courage to speak to him although I was in his company for a good half hour as part of a group. Know Murray Davidson from my grans bit and played a lot of football with him when I was younger. Was a skilful wee guy and always playing two years above his age group. He’s a good bear.

My few are pish

Josh Windass. Seemed a bit bewildered cause i shouted we love you Josh in jest
Pedro -Friendly and we got a pic
Jordan Rossiter- quiet lad.Happy to pose for a pic

I wo
Kenny Dalglish in a petrol station in shawlands around 1989, gentleman, sold him an early edition Record.

Ian Durrant, funny guy, very down to earth.

Ally Mcoist in Queen St outside the bookies, gentleman.

Alex Rae, nice guy, played 5s with his young brother on occasion

Nicky Clark in the megastore, nice guy.

Ian Ferguson, went to see Cubby Brown in the city halls with his nephew and he was in our company, I wore a green shirt because I lost a bet. He tore me to shreds but a real good guy.

Stefan Klos, randomly walking down west George St when I stopped him to say hello, he seemed like he was in a hurry but not impolite.

Greame Dorrans twice, he came to our boys team presetation to hand out the trophys when he was with Clyde, met him again at a mutual friends funeral last year. Nice guy

Nacho Novo, my oldest is friendly with him. Nice guy.

David Marshall, my oldest was training with him at Largs years ago, he was in front of us in the lunch que when I asked for a pic. Gentleman.

John Hartson, drove by him in the town and rolled the window down and called him a fat ginger bastard, he shouted back he was a rich ginger bastard and blew me a kiss. Wank.
I would suggest you are being a tad harsh on John Hartson. According to most of the comments in this thread he is, despite playing for Celtic, a pretty decent guy and does not appear to hide that Rangers would have been his preferred option, but for the medical. I think if anyone, anywhere, irrespective of their background, took some verbal abuse like you dished out you want to fire something equally as abusive back.

Met hundreds through the years.

From the older generation I’ve barely met a rude Gers legend, from Henderson to Dave McParland, all gents and happy to talk about the Gers and share stories.
So many to mention but Brian Laudrup always stands out as a gentleman.

Haven’t met many of the new players, met Moshni from the not to distant past and he was probably the nicest player I’ve met in recent years.

Random lady's front bottom award goes to Brian Martin Ex of Motherwell, he nearly got his face burst open after being an obnoxious twat a friendly hello from a mate led to a tirade of abuse back.

I've only ever had autographs & pictures with players etc when i was younger but never plucked up the courage to speak to them.

When i was 12/13 i spotted Frank McGarvey playing 5's at Goals (Shawlands)...

Thinking i was being a big man in front of my mates i screamed through the cage at him.

Due to lurkers i won't repeat what was shouted but it rhymes with Keenyin Wastard.

Obviously i'm older & wiser now and fully onboard with 'Everyone Anyone'.

Met quite a few

Numan. Brilliant guy
Wattereus. A bit odd
Gough. Polite and friendly
Basile Boli. Loved his hole
Charlie Adam. Hmmm
Peter Huistra. Brand new
Dado. Cracking big guy
Michael Ball. Brilliant guy, humble
Super Ally. Super guy
Sounds like you had a better experience than me, he was an ignorant prick when I spoke to him. It was so bad that his mates tried to make light of the situation and cover up his ignorance. Any other Rangers player has been spot on although Derek McIness was a bit of a bell end and I say that as someone who knows him to say hello to.

Bumped into a few of the Celtc team many years ago . All of them were pretty much brand new apart from, yes, you guessed it- SUTTON!!! He was a horrible scumbag as far back as 20 years ago.

I don’t know how you can judge someone ‘not nice’ based on a random interaction. Most likely you are someone they don’t know, probably asking for something and expecting them to be charming. This will happen literally thousands of times to these individuals and if you happen to get them at at times they can’t be bothered then they’re ‘not nice’.

I always remember being in a restaurant and Barry Ferguson came in with his Mrs. I never went near him, despite him being a hero of mine. Loads of other people did though, which annoyed me, the guy just wants to have a meal with his wife - leave him alone!

I said hello to Justin Fashanu in a pub way back just after he had signed for Hearts. He seemed friendly enough and I remember he was built like a heavyweight boxer.

Forgot I met Ravanelli in an Italian restaurant in the Ferry when he played for Dundee. Didnt say much but just oozed class. Still can't believe he played for Dundee.

Also met Cannigia in Doughnut Magic in Dundee when I was in school. He was happy to sign autographs and pose for pictures. I only had the loyalty card which collected meal deal stickers (once you got 5 the 6th one was free) for him to sign. Sacrificed that for an autograph and went hungry the rest of the school day :p

My papa and his mate met charlie miller on holiday last year. Obviously asked for photos etc. Charlie then invited them out for a meal with him and his wife, spent the whole holiday with him and now meet in the town occasionally. All round good bloke by accounts

Back