Footballing "what ifs?"

I honestly think he was only there in case De Boer fell through
I'm sure the story was that altho it was De Boer we wanted, Rangers were pretty sure he was going to fail his medical, so got Hartson in the same day to sign if De Boer did indeed fail. As it turned out, it was Hartson failed altho a school of thought is out there that Rangers faked this result as the fans (me included) expected us to sign them both. And for what it's worth, Hartson would have been amazing as a Ranger.

The Queens Park question is one I’ve often pondered. They were possibly the best team in the world at one point, and had the biggest stadium in the World too. If they had gone pro at the same time as the rest of us, I’m sure they would be the most successful club in Scotland, with one or both of us and the Bheasts being at a level not much more than Hearts or Hibs.

Sir Alex is a great one too. He would have been successful, but would he have stayed long term like he did with Man Utd? Would he have the same impact as Souness, but with Scottish players rather than English ones? Would we have attracted investment on the level of Murray and lead to the success of 90s?

One small one I wonder about is, if Mo Johnston had joined them in 1989:
1. Would they have won a title and stopped 9IAR?
2. Who would have been our ‘first’ RC and what would the impact have been?
That was a myth. He wasn't

Daniel Cousin hadn't stuck the nut on the boy in Florence. Convinced we'd have been a lot more of a threat in the Final.

Daniel Cousin hadn't stuck the nut on the boy in Florence. Convinced we'd have been a lot more of a threat in the Final.

I actually feel the opposite.

Pretty easy for me to picture Cousin hitting a crappy weak penalty right at the keepers waist height on his right hand side, watching it get saved and just sauntering back to the halfway line as if he really doesn't care that much.

One of my vivid memories of that night is seeing the red card go up and thinking "at least he won't be taking one if this goes to penalties".

Back