Footy fan's Ronaldo v Messi tweet comes back to haunt him

SuperGers07

DL0dd5vWkAAK5Ll.jpg

Tweet was promptly deleted upon Messi doing what he does best

Two great players - but Messi in full flight is something else. Ronaldo is an amazing footballer, but Messi is is that bit extra special and mesmerising to watch. Definitely the best player I've ever seen.

People who bet on messi and ronaldo to score 2 plus goals in most games are making bit money

I bet them both last night, at William Hill enhanced 4/1.

Ronaldo couldn't kick his arse. Messi delivered. He has been frightening this season. His performances in September alone should have him win the Balon D'or, but Big Ron will get it for his exceptional scoring spree in the latter stages of the Champions League.

Amazing that they both scored hat tricks and delivered for their countries on spectate occasions

They are both absolutely out of this world

Messi is the greatest footballer I've ever witnessed in my time watching football.
Maradona was slightly before my time.

Ronaldo in many other eras would be the undisputed best on the planet, he is a phenomenal player with a goalscoring record almost beyond belief.
But he's been unfortunate to share an era, a league and a club rivalry with an absolute genuis who belongs in a Greatest Of All Time discussion. Messi is the best there has been since Maradona, and he just might be as good as he was. Even saying that tells you how utterly brilliant he is.

Is it just me or has Pele been made to drop down the pecking order a bit?

When I see the greatest up for discussion now it's Maradona who's mentioned more frequently in comparison to Messi and Ronaldo.

When I see the greatest up for discussion now it's Maradona who's mentioned more frequently in comparison to Messi and Ronaldo.

The 1970 world cup was the first time I saw a major tournament. I still think that Brazil team were the greatest, and Pele the best of the best. Maybe an age thing.

I'm just happy both players will be involved in the World Cup. You want to see the best compete and these two are the best.

I know exactly what your saying,it’s as if there nkt counting the 50,60’s,Pele was simply amazing,should have won four world cups,only reason they never won in 66,was because of Portugal basically trying to kill him.

The problem with the previous generations top players is most people in the U.K., regardless of how old they were, rarely saw them play.

For those who were adults when Pele was in his pomp how many times did you actually see him play? 6? 10? 20 at a push?

To be blunt he could have been bang average every other game for his club sides.

Maradona we saw more of as TV coverage had moved on and we know he won the league and cup with an unfashionable Napoli side thatclikely would have remained fairly mediocre without him but, again, how many times have we seen him play?

Messi and Ronaldo I watch every other week. Messi is way more consistent but both are on an entirely different level from every other player in world football and have been for about 6 or 7 years. These guys maintain a ridiculous performance level that rarely drops.

But Ronaldo has WON an international trophy for his country. Now, I love Messi as much as any follower of the world's national game, but until he delivers for Argentina, the poser extraordinaire shades him. Over to you Lionel?

But Ronaldo has WON an international trophy for his country. Now, I love Messi as much as any follower of the world's national game, but until he delivers for Argentina, the poser extraordinaire shades him. Over to you Lionel?

He played like a diddy in all but two or three games (Hungary, whom they only had to beat because he blew a plethora of chances in the previous couple of games, and the mighty Wales), added to that he didn’t actually play in the final so his international trophy means %^*& all as far as that contest goes.

Eder won them that trophy, if Higuain doesn’t blow 3 one v ones in 3 different international finals Messi is potentially a World Cup winner and two time Copa America winner, but he did and he isn’t.

The problem with the previous generations top players is most people in the U.K., regardless of how old they were, rarely saw them play.

For those who were adults when Pele was in his pomp how many times did you actually see him play? 6? 10? 20 at a push?

To be blunt he could have been bang average every other game for his club sides.

Maradona we saw more of as TV coverage had moved on and we know he won the league and cup with an unfashionable Napoli side thatclikely would have remained fairly mediocre without him but, again, how many times have we seen him play?

Messi and Ronaldo I watch every other week. Messi is way more consistent but both are on an entirely different level from every other player in world football and have been for about 6 or 7 years. These guys maintain a ridiculous performance level that rarely drops.

A bit of research would prevent you from making yourself look stupid...an average of better than a goal per game over 1000+ games for Santos would suggest you are talking sh##e. Messi & Ronaldo are both magnificent and yet still short of a goal a game average that Pele managed.

Agree 100%, you cant judge a player unless you actually see him every other week,season in and out. In WC '70 I only knew about Pele by media reports, but the guy was astonishing, the stuff he did in Mexico was never seen before on TV. As for today, nobody is better than Messi. thanks to streaming I watch every game Messi and Ronaldo play in. Except when the Gers are on :)

He didnt really though did he. We won an international trophy WITH his country. He wasn't the main reason they won ala Maradona 86. He didn't play in the final (except what 15/20 mins and 5 of them he was hobbling around) and didn't play particularly well in the other games.

He still deserves recognition that he's won the Euros but not the revisionism that HE won Portugal that trophy

Messi for me. Much more natural talent. Also you knew at 18 Messi would be one of the best of all time. I'm not sure you could say that about a Ronaldo losing step over lollipops at Man Utd with those big legs.

Everything Messi has just now he was always capable of doing when he broke into the team with Rivaldo, Ronaldinhio, Eto, Henry etc

Ronaldo has worked more at his game to get to the level he is at. Which is also a great compliment for him. His goal record is unreal for anyone, yet to think he played out wide at first.

Both a joy to watch and maybe it comes down to personal preference. Happy to watch them every week.

I watched Maradona from early 80's and didn't think anyone could ever come close, what with taking an average Napoli team to titles & cups and winning the w/C for Argentina and then getting to the final again. I never watched Pele, only onvideo clips, however I also remember at the time older folk saying Pele was the best.

All about opinions.

If you like football you like them both.

If I had first pick at 11s I'd pick Ronaldo as he can do more across the whole pitch, for 5s I'd pick Messi as he is more skillful and better in a tight space.

Enjoy them both - internet arguments are silly comparing one of the greatest #10s to one of the greatest at #7 & #9. I think modern football is so different to the game >25 years ago that the Maradona/Pele comparisons are pretty meaningless too.

Messi. It isn't even close for me. Not a slight on Ronaldo, who is phenomenal, but I just think Messi is that good. He's on a level of his own as far as natural talent is concerned.

"Shut the f*ck up Donny!"

Incidentally, massive game for Portugal last night and Ronaldo was dreadful.

That's the main difference between them imo. Messi doesn't have to score to have a good game as he is so influential. Ronnie is just deadly but doesn't get involved as much.

I would say Maradonna won things with lesser teams. Pele and Messi have always had fabulous footballers around them. Maradonna won the world cup in 86 and carried the team

A bit of research would prevent you from making yourself look stupid...an average of better than a goal per game over 1000+ games for Santos would suggest you are talking sh##e. Messi & Ronaldo are both magnificent and yet still short of a goal a game average that Pele managed.
No need to take is so personally precious.

And how good was the Brazilian league back in the 70s as it's pretty poor these days so, if it was the same back then, then perhaps it takes away from Pele's magnificence.

I got bored of comparing Messi and Ronaldo a few years ago. Two phenomenal but different players we've had the pleasure of enjoying for the entirety of their careers.

No signs of slowing down just yet either.

Back