For me Helander should be starting matches

Mate, come on.

244 appearances
And 32 International caps

At least dont make absurd stats up?
Sorry I did meant to type 200 not 100 but it’s a very poor return for his age and how many games in too divisions most of his games have been in second and third tier

Balogun was sleeping again at the goal. Stops his run as the boy starts to play the ball which allows his man to get a yard on him and score.

I actually think Helander is a greater attacking threat from set pieces. An important attribute when considering how many we had today without any success

I don’t understand why we don’t play all three centre backs at times to allow Tav and Borna to push up even more.
Goldson, Balogun and Helander are quality players.
Would also mean the midfielders in the team can concentrate more on attacking as they know there will be cover on both the right and left flanks.
I’ve always wanted us to have this as a sort of Plan B approach to certain games so that we are not always the predictable 433

Because those who don't favour him look for any reason to get him out

Look at the first reply to this post, "aye, well Goldson did get beat one on one but its still Balogun's fault because I want my preferred player in the team"
Wasn't that long ago that Goldson was their target!

We have 3 excellent players for 2 places, defensively we have been outstanding all season, even if Connor had to drop out with a knock or suspension I would still be confident with Fil and Leon. Slow starts to games and then chasing against a packed defence has been the issue the past few games, if we come out the blocks flying and get the first goal we will be cruising these games, onwards to next week and another 3pts towards 55

And no this isn't a reaction to 2 dropped points today. I said pre match that I felt we were a better side with Helander in the team and I still stand by that.

It's not a pressing issue considering our defence has generally been formidable with either Helander or Balogun in the side, but it doesn't change the fact that I feel we just look a little bit better with Helander in there.

People will point to the fact that Helander was in the team that conceded 3 to Benfica as justification for him being behind Balogun in the pecking order - but quite simply we don't play teams like Benfica in this league. I don't think it makes sense to use that game as a yardstick between the two, especially when it comes the teams we face domestically.

Domestically Helander has absolutely strolled it - we've never lost a league game that he's played in, while Balogun was in the team that conceded 3 to St Mirren, yet it doesn't seem to be held against him in the same way the Benfica game is held against Helander. I feel that one poor game from Helander in Europe has made the gaffers mind up that Balogun should be our first choice.

to be honest I cant agree or disagree.

Both IMO are solid players.

Today despite losing a goal that could have been cut out in at least 3 areas of the pitch. I blame the 2 points dropped in midfield.

From Aribo wondering what day it was to kamara sloppiness.

We relied on Davis today and in all honesty thats not acceptable against Motherwell.

You can blame who you want today. Me it was midfield.

All i can say if it was not for Davis it would have been 3 points dropped. Poor lad had to do most of it on his own.

You can blame who you want today. Me it was midfield.

All i can say if it was not for Davis it would have been 3 points dropped. Poor lad had to do most of it on his own.
Davis played well again today.
His reading of the game and passes are first class for a 36 year old

We are lucky to have three very assured CBs. I’ve always viewed Balogun as being cover but he has done well and has managed to retain the spot. Wonder if we might see Helander against Ross County.

One small point about Balogun - at times he is a little bit too casual with the ball in dangerous areas. He needs to cut that out.

Helander is probably our best centre half.

Helander is better than Balogun (and I like Balogun).

Im unsure why he seems to be second choice now.

Back