For the Love of Football

I think an important thing to highlight would be that actually our support have been having lengthy discussions about ‘add ons’ The Billy Boys song etc on this site and in other places for ages. We recognise ourselves that some of our followers continue to say unacceptable stuff and we debate the rights/wrongs of this and the affect which it has on our club’s reputation and standing as an internationally renowned modern football Club.
I think Rangers fans should actually be credited for recognising that some things shouldn’t be happening and have to change.
I’m not sure that other clubs supporters acknowledge misdemeanours within their own ranks as readily? - or try so hard to affect change?!!

This is true mate, the same applies to the Northern Ireland support who will be attacked and demonised by the usual suspects for as long as there is a NI team.

But the example there shows our enemy’s ability to damage us does depend in some ways on what we do. A strategic mistake to give them a free hand or assistance in promoting their narrative of us. At the end of the day feck them and their putrid wee plastic Provo shitfest, it is the wider reputation of Rangers and our support that matters. If we can improve that we should.
I agree we don’t help ourselves in many cases the Tiffany song was the biggest own goal from some within our support for many a year.we have come a very long way since I began going to our games which is rarely or ever acknowledged.my own personal view on our songbook is its fine and the only thing that really needs dropped is ftp and 19th Century Terrorist replaced in the bb with rebel blood

For years Rab the billy boys would never be heard at games. It’s reappearance is purely down to the one-sided mantra in Scotland.
No, it’s reappearance is because the spotlight went away on that song as the club & fans faced bigger issues but then folk started getting a bit daring , felt provoked into singing it to some degree

A lot of work & effort was spent by the club / fans (I remember attending a supporters club meeting that the nithsdale called for at Ibrox due to the severe implications the club was facing at the time / fans being banned from the malmo away game because of the singing issue and that song specifically , but folk conveniently want to forget that and go backwards

The song faded away, no European involvement and indeed the atmosphere at those smaller away domestic games meant that in those small crowds folk were not going to be singing songs they knew were ‘banned’ as they would be easy to spot / be subject to arrest.

Bigger games , bigger home & away games attendances / atmospheres and now folk think they have free hand to just sing what they like , lower risk of arrest.

No, it’s reappearance is because the spotlight went away on that song as the club & fans faced bigger issues but then folk started getting a bit daring , felt provoked into singing it to some degree

A lot of work & effort was spent by the club / fans (I remember attending a supporters club meeting that the nithsdale called for at Ibrox due to the severe implications the club was facing at the time / fans being banned from the malmo away game because of the singing issue and that song specifically , but folk conveniently want to forget that and go backwards

The song faded away, no European involvement and indeed the atmosphere at those smaller away domestic games meant that in those small crowds folk were not going to be singing songs they knew were ‘banned’ as they would be easy to spot / be subject to arrest.

Bigger games , bigger home & away games attendances / atmospheres and now folk think they have free hand to just sing what they like , lower risk of arrest.

I’m sorry bud but speaking to Rangers fans, there are many who will happily sing the billy boys and other songs because of the one sided approach to sectarianism, it’s reporting and policing in this country. I was at the dolls game at Parkhead and many have now adopted the ‘fuuck it,’ approach because others get away with far worse.

I’m sorry bud but speaking to Rangers fans, there are many who will happily sing the billy boys and other songs because of the one sided approach to sectarianism, it’s reporting and policing in this country. I was at the dolls game at Parkhead and many have now adopted the ‘fuuck it,’ approach because others get away with far worse.
All very good the defiance attitude , then once were in Europe we pay the price of another ban as groundswell of ‘let’s chase rangers about sectarian singing’ has built up

Dave King was on the park before a European game to remind people of the reputational damage / repercussions the club will face regarding singing, we shouldn’t be going backwards , think we can get away with a domestic singing selection as we have amnesty as no strict liability (*as yet)

Completely regressive behaviour , hurts the club and does nothing but see young working class males ending up with criminal records for singing, merely as they think it’s traditional / banter / the crowd gives them cover to do so

we need to stand up for ourselves now more than ever.....quite rightly so

there our songs for a start regardless of lyrics who others might not like as if that was our biggest problem in our lifes

I agree we don’t help ourselves in many cases the Tiffany song was the biggest own goal from some within our support for many a year.we have come a very long way since I began going to our games which is rarely or ever acknowledged.my own personal view on our songbook is its fine and the only thing that really needs dropped is ftp and 19th Century Terrorist replaced in the bb with rebel blood

Indeed, simple stuff really.

Well if you had read all my post on this thread you would know.

Your other posts prior to that one suggested exactly the point I was replying to, which is that you play down the value of changing our attitude to singing these songs because they'll just find something else to be offended by. If that is not the point you were making, please feel free to explain it more clearly.

Your other posts prior to that one suggested exactly the point I was replying to, which is that you play down the value of changing our attitude to singing these songs because they'll just find something else to be offended by. If that is not the point you were making, please feel free to explain it more clearly.
I said a the start of the thread we don't need some of the songs and we have moved on,I'm not playing down anything,and they will find something else to be offended by each and everyone of us know that do you not think so.

I agree wholeheartedly Robert.
When I was maybe 13 all the 19th Century Terrorist this and that seemed important. I’m now 30 and cringe when grown men still shout about it. Times change. How can we try and go after them for it when only 3 days later we have people doing the exact same thing. The tit for tat is pointless. Until we go after them from a position of power ie no longer singing or shouting about 19th Century Terrorists then we have no chance.
Hate Celtic all you want. In fact that’s healthy, rivalry keeps us all interested. I detest Celtic, Aberdeen & Hibs mainly. I don’t hate someone because of their religion. That’s their right to practice whatever they want.
It’s so simple to clean up songs and simply change 19th Century Terrorist to something else if losing a song is what you’re worried about.
The only way this will go is the club being hammered/us looking like knuckledraggers/bans for people who refuse to stop dragging OUR club down. I don’t give a %^*& what they do across the city. Until we have our house in order we’ve no right to condemn them.

I said a the start of the thread we don't need some of the songs and we have moved on,I'm not playing down anything,and they will find something else to be offended by each and everyone of us know that do you not think so.

Yes, they will - and that was specifically my point. Them claiming offence at everything is irrelevant, I wasn't disagreeing with anything.

The important point is that we get our house in order and certainly don't worry about examples of them being offended by us not selling Peperamis, because those kinds of complaints are never going to actually gain any traction versus our fans actually using the terms we're being called out on.

They will remain untouchable till the day they kill a rangers supporter and I fear that day draws nearer every day.we are portrayed every man,women and child of us a group of people to be hated and viewed as sub human who deserve everything that’s gets thrown at us and we can clean up our songbook all we want and it won’t matter a jot to the haters
Even then it will only be one guy and the rest of them are saints.well according to the Scottish media they will be.

I agree wholeheartedly Robert.
When I was maybe 13 all the 19th Century Terrorist this and that seemed important. I’m now 30 and cringe when grown men still shout about it. Times change. How can we try and go after them for it when only 3 days later we have people doing the exact same thing. The tit for tat is pointless. Until we go after them from a position of power ie no longer singing or shouting about 19th Century Terrorists then we have no chance.
Hate Celtic all you want. In fact that’s healthy, rivalry keeps us all interested. I detest Celtic, Aberdeen & Hibs mainly. I don’t hate someone because of their religion. That’s their right to practice whatever they want.
It’s so simple to clean up songs and simply change 19th Century Terrorist to something else if losing a song is what you’re worried about.
The only way this will go is the club being hammered/us looking like knuckledraggers/bans for people who refuse to stop dragging OUR club down. I don’t give a %^*& what they do across the city. Until we have our house in order we’ve no right to condemn them.
The problems with your post mate is benign has nothing to do with religion.even if we did get our house in order they will simply find something else.also while you are correct with we can only change things if we are in a position of power .you know yourself that isn,t going to happen.

1st thing we need to do is sort out our clubs anthem which is as sectarian as any song we sing, bar none!

What happens if we win a trophy this season and the players sing club songs as all winning teams do. What happens after Dundee, Hamilton?

I have contacted the club asking them to highlight the fans are singing the wrong words and address it.

Follow follow we will follow Rangers
Anywhere, everywhere we will follow on
Follow follow we will follow Rangers
If we go to Dublin we will follow on
Original words of the bottom line is; If we go to Europe we will follow on. Dublin was sung in the early to mid 60s.

Reactions: WBD
The problems with your post mate is benign has nothing to do with religion.even if we did get our house in order they will simply find something else.also while you are correct with we can only change things if we are in a position of power .you know yourself that isn,t going to happen.
I see where you’re coming from, we can defend songs like Derry’s walls for instance but when you start singing about the pope/19th Century Terrorists etc and add ins there’s no defence. That’s where we’ve left ourselves. We can only deal with the here and now. Clean up our act, sing songs about our club, our achievements and our heritage. The pope has nothing to do with that, 19th Century Terrorists have nothing to do with that. If we’d simply called Clarke a wanker then there’s nothing could be done about it. Call him a timmy bastard or Celtic bastard if needed. No come back. But people feel the need time and again to drag us down

Its up to the club to come out and highlight issues inside and outwith the club e.g when other clubs are abusive then we(officially) should raise this issue.

The club has issued a statement today in a broader sense.

Original words of the bottom line is; If we go to Europe we will follow on. Dublin was sung in the early to mid 60s.
Ultimately I would love to revert to that, along with changing Celtic know all about their troubles, to 'enemies know....'

I keep bringing this up (getting FF sorted) and for whatever reason, it falls on deaf ears. I keep highlighting the fact the song is never sung with any passion or volumes at games now. Have a listen in future games. UB continually attempt to sing in and it does a death EVERY time.

I have some ideas on how to revive it, but this would also fall on deaf ears. I have as I said previously contacted the club about. Again nothing done. Nobody else seems to care about it. So the song will continue to die.

Ultimately I would love to revert to that, along with changing Celtic know all about their troubles, to 'enemies know....'

I keep bringing this up (getting FF sorted) and for whatever reason, it falls on deaf ears. I keep highlighting the fact the song is never sung with any passion or volumes at games now. Have a listen in future games. UB continually attempt to sing in and it does a death EVERY time.

I have some ideas on how to revive it, but this would also fall on deaf ears. I have as I said previously contacted the club about. Again nothing done. Nobody else seems to care about it. So the song will continue to die.
The song is looked on as the club anthem for many older bluenoses like myself and everything should be done to ensure it does not die. Maybe supporter clubs should take a lead on this as it is arguably our most famous song.

The song is looked on as the club anthem for many older bluenoses like myself and everything should be done to ensure it does not die. Maybe supporter clubs should take a lead on this as it is arguably our most famous song.
I wrote to C1872 regarding it too. I am in no position to make a difference, I can keep bleating on about it, but if nobody in a position to do anything will, the song will continue to fade.

It’s time to move on bears. The political problems In NI has nothing to do with our club. I don’t care about Bobby Sands, the UVF or the UDA. I love Rangers and don’t want to give any more fuel for the haters to use.

Why do we keep a guys memory alive by singing abou him? It has no relevance to any society today.

Let’s drop anything to do with the pope and get back to singing about our football club.

Or “How could anyone come after us for singing the Hokey Kokey?” See where I’m going?
Apparently hokey kokey was originally to ridicule the Catholic church, blessing themselves and the likes. Apparently :rolleyes:

It’s time to move on bears. The political problems In NI has nothing to do with our club. I don’t care about Bobby Sands, the UVF or the UDA. I love Rangers and don’t want to give any more fuel for the haters to use.

Why do we keep a guys memory alive by singing abou him? It has no relevance to any society today.

Let’s drop anything to do with the pope and get back to singing about our football club.

Far too sensible, will never catch on.

If the add ons were dropped for something else. They'd still hear what they wanted to hear.
It's the right thing to do though.

Yes, round in circles
You want to tackle the “bad songs” without highlighting the fact that the BB was stopped for a good few years and the kunts still came after us. As far as I know not one person within the club highlighted this glaring fact. It actually takes a Bear who logs on here and blogs for the DR to point out the inconsistency that exists within Scottish football. You don’t think younger Bears have seen this and went: “Ach well, fk it!” ?
In no way have I pointed out you were wrong, merely the facts Jack. Until this is looked at by someone outwith the Papal conclave in Scotland then we are fked.

Apparently hokey kokey was originally to ridicule the Catholic church, blessing themselves and the likes. Apparently :rolleyes:
Exactly mate. And the bouncy was about UVF murder gangs. What chance do we have. I’m sure I read Penny Arcade was mocking the fact that during the famine a bag of spuds cost a penny. :)

You want to tackle the “bad songs” without highlighting the fact that the BB was stopped for a good few years and the kunts still came after us. As far as I know not one person within the club highlighted this glaring fact. It actually takes a Bear who logs on here and blogs for the DR to point out the inconsistency that exists within Scottish football. You don’t think younger Bears have seen this and went: “Ach well, fk it!” ?
In no way have I pointed out you were wrong, merely the facts Jack. Until this is looked at by someone outwith the Papal conclave in Scotland then we are fked.
When the club, and they will, ask fans to stop these songs and add ons, will you support them ?

When the club, and they will, ask fans to stop these songs and add ons, will you support them ?
Support the Club? Absolutely. I’m not talking about me though. Like I elaborated on previously. The young team have seen the support stop the add ons previously yet continue to get shat on. I’m sure they’re thinking: fk it. Why bother?

Support the Club? Absolutely. I’m not talking about me though. Like I elaborated on previously. The young team have seen the support stop the add ons previously yet continue to get shat on. I’m sure they’re thinking: fk it. Why bother?
If everyone des what's right, there won't be a problem

Why don't the people on here mouthing off go and do something about it.
BBC / SFA / Parliament at Edinburgh. Why ?
Because all three entities you just listed are full of *** I suppose. Not Roman Catholics, but 19th Century Terrorists, haters of the crown, and they despise the very ground our fans walk on.

A one sided bridge is as good as a chocolate teapot. Personally, as a season ticket holder for more than half my life im fed up either being cast as the bad guy or (for the past 6 years) the beaten cur. We are not the guilty ones here and it’s time to stop apologising.

Rangers are a Protestant club
Ian a Protestant of the Calvinist Presbyterian persuasion it’s why I call my self Covenanter 1. I despise the Roman Church and all its perverse teachings just as much as I do the Rancid football team it spawned.
I am total agreement with the OP we as a support need to cut some of the s##t out. Rangers could win the champions league and the headline would be Rangers supporters spat outside a chapel. We need to box clever and promote our club and the Presbyterian values it was built on to the world.
We are the People
Rangers are the club

The bottom line is the FB, UVF, Bobby Sands stuff gets the club in trouble and it makes us look bad. So why continue with it?

It’s a depressing thread to be honest because it just further highlights the fact that it’ll never stop, too many people come up with pages of daft excuses, while they try to justify to themselves why the add ons are fine, all the while continuing to land the club in trouble.

You stop The Billy Boys in the pub because you have to not because you want to. I love the Louden, it’s a great pub and very well run but it’s hardly a place that’s just about the football.

Some of songs do need cleaned up I agree. However, that won’t stop the type of criticism we’ve received this week. They would go after plenty of the songs you play every week.

This is about an angry, bitter man unable to handle losing to us and a stream of hypocrites jumping on the bandwagon because it harms us.

If you really feel that strongly about it, you are in a good position to take the lead.

This is absolutely correct. The Billy Boys disappeared from the song book,at matches at least, for a few years. No one can deny that. You just didn’t hear it. But it made no difference to our critics. They kept coming after us for any spurious reason they could find or invent. So I get the definite sense that many have just decided “%^*& it, might as well” and it’s eased back into the matchday repertoire.

For what it’s worth, there is a lot in Rab’s post I agree with. The shoe-horning of the same old idiotic add ons drives me nuts; they’re unnecessary and just hand weapons to those who grab them with glee. But I do think he’s naive to believe that if we sat in silence for 90 mins every week they would leave us alone. They wouldn’t. We would be indulging in sectarian silence or they’d decide our scarves offended or our numbers were too aggressive.

We don’t need to be perfect to criticise those who deserve it, likewise we shouldn’t pretend that because they behave like animals then we can indulge in poor behaviour.

The bottom line is the FB, UVF, Bobby Sands stuff gets the club in trouble and it makes us look bad. So why continue with it?

It’s a depressing thread to be honest because it just further highlights the fact that it’ll never stop, too many people come up with pages of daft excuses, while they try to justify to themselves why the add ons are fine, all the while continuing to land the club in trouble.
You only need look at the FF FACEBOOK page. Someone asked for people to name their favourite Rangers song. Some examples, Deary me!!!! Men behind the wire, BMG, Daddy's uniform, king Billy's on the wall..... The list goes on.

You stop The Billy Boys in the pub because you have to not because you want to. I love the Louden, it’s a great pub and very well run but it’s hardly a place that’s just about the football.

Some of songs do need cleaned up I agree. However, that won’t stop the type of criticism we’ve received this week. They would go after plenty of the songs you play every week.

This is about an angry, bitter man unable to handle losing to us and a stream of hypocrites jumping on the bandwagon because it harms us.

If you really feel that strongly about it, you are in a good position to take the lead.
Every song we play in The Louden is acceptable under the current laws.
We are a Rangers theme pub that plays songs about The Rangers, British Soldiers and our Heritage.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. If I play Elton John and George Michael, Does it make it a Gay Bar ? ( I have nothing against Gays )
I was asked by the Police years ago to stop playing them. ( not EJ and GM :)) )
I just want our fans to stop all this nonsense.

If the Club wanted me to help. I would be glad to.

A one sided bridge is as good as a chocolate teapot. Personally, as a season ticket holder for more than half my life im fed up either being cast as the bad guy or (for the past 6 years) the beaten cur. We are not the guilty ones here and it’s time to stop apologising.
Unfortunately, we are guilty, but not the only ones.

Because all three entities you just listed are full of *** I suppose. Not Roman Catholics, but 19th Century Terrorists, haters of the crown, and they despise the very ground our fans walk on.
So why don't you organise a protest at one of these places ?

So why don't you organise a protest at one of these places ?
You’ve lost me now. You want me to fly 13000 miles to stand outside Parliament? Thought this thread was about the young team singing.
Why don’t you protest whatever it is you want to protest there, you seem to have the time on your hands?

Just replace 19th Century Terrorist with Mhanky, it's the truth that they're stinking and unwashed. Simples.

FTM, or to die a Mhanky Bastard. :)

Back