For the older bears - Denis Law or Jimmy Greaves

I loved Denis Law. He was great in the air and on the ground but as a pure goalscorer, Greaves was out on his own.

Both were world class but were different style of players, Greaves was a genuine poacher who played off the last defender most of the time but he could also play. Law though was more of a player who mainly got involved in the complete build up to a move, he was more of a grafter who could make goals as well as finish. Two superb players of whom anyone who had the good fortune to see them at their peak could attest to. I look on Law as Scotland's greatest ever player so i put him just ahead of Greaves in overall ability.

I'm old enough, just, to remember both. It's an interesting comparison, but Greaves was my first football idol, and I can't see past him.

Greavesie for me. Not even close.

both of them would be as awesome in todays game with todays training methods and sport science. law esp would tear up the EPL. greaves would take a right few sore ones, denis would probably hand them out.

Greaves for me .An absolute goal machine .Tore us apart at white hart lane in a 5-2 win ,scored 3 I think .Then scored at Ibrox in the second leg.The first time I saw him He was playing at Ibrox for the English League against the Scottish league He was 18 years old and scored all 4 goals for England.

As a 12 - 13 year old I adored Denis Law
To me he was 'gallousness' personified
He was an obvious talent gifted with top quality skills & ability

As a 14 - 16 year old my appreciation of DL didn't diminish - but my awareness of Jimmy Greaves became more acute

All told I have similar opinions now - but being honest I have to give the 'title' to Jimmy Greaves -he just had that edge & that really is saying something because Denis was such a class act

My old man talked a lot about those two footballers. Said Law was the complete footballer in the opposing half and Greaves was a total finisher. Both fantastic at what they did. But, did Greaves not play before the offside rule was introduced ?

Law for me.All round great player.Greaves was more of a Robby Fowler type clinical finisher.Great player as well tbh.

Greaves goalscoring record is phenomenal. Nine different times in 12 years he hit 30+goals a season and in one of the three seasons he didn't, he just had to settle for the 29 goals.
You from the era SDF?
I once asked my old man why Ramsay dropped Greaves from the World Cup final team.
The answer was he had no idea and it was the talk of the town at the time.
Luckiest decision he ever made, according to the uncles.

You from the era SDF?
I once asked my old man why Ramsay dropped Greaves from the World Cup final team.
The answer was he had no idea and it was the talk of the town at the time.
Luckiest decision he ever made, according to the eauncles.
Greaves got injured v France in the group stage, Hurst was brought in v Argentina in the quarter-final, scored the only goal and was kept in the team. Ramsey got lucky because Hurst couldn't lace Jimmy Greaves boots

My old man talked a lot about those two footballers. Said Law was the complete footballer in the opposing half and Greaves was a total finisher. Both fantastic at what they did. But, did Greaves not play before the offside rule was introduced ?
WTF? o_O

When do you think the offside rule was "introduced"?

It has always been part of the rules of football.

You must be at the wind up.

This topic inspired me to look up some old Saint & Greavsie's on youtube, fook me I feel privileged to have borne witness to this when I was younger, funny, brilliant, real entertaiment mixed with beautiful football knowledge and honesty from two people who were masters of their craft in their day.

This topic inspired me to look up some old Saint & Greavsie's on youtube, fook me I feel privileged to have borne witness to this when I was younger, funny, brilliant, real entertaiment mixed with beautiful football knowledge and honesty from two people who were masters of their craft in their day.
Spoke with Ian St John at a Shankley tribute night regarding a mutual acquaintance. Gentleman.

Not much between them but from the little I seen of them I'd say that Greaves just shades it. As an aside I believe that Rangers could have signed Law as a youngster but was thought to be too lightweight for Rangers at the time!:oops:

W.A.T.P.

I meant who knows if he was at the wind up ffs :D

I played football in the 50s so I know it was around when Greaves was in his prime, and long before:)

Back