For Thursday guys - Derry walls is untouchable

And while I agree with the sentiment of not needing to sing about wars 100s of years ago, I do have a soft spot for Derry’s Walls.

Follow follow is our anthem and it has been butchered with those add ons. Get back to singing the original words please.
...and it you can't trust yourself not to sing the add ons just pause after 'Dundee, Hamilton' and join back in with 'if they go to Dublin we will follow on'.

sing super rangers like millwall sing it
no one likes us,
no one likes us,
no one likes us, we don't care,
we are Rangers, super Rangers,
we are Rangers, from Ibrox/Govan

Maybe I’ve picked it up wrong, but I understood the stuff that has been banned is:
TBB with ANY lyrics.
Anything with 19th Century Terrorist or pope in it.

I thought that was all? Ie Super Rangers is fine if we drop the last couple of lines. Derry’s Walls and the Sash are also acceptable.

Personally I’d like to see us drop the UVF stuff but I don’t believe we would get in trouble if we dont.

This is correct.

The argument that ‘they will go after other chants’ has always seemed like an attempt at deflection.

New legislation or a change in UEFA’s rules would be necessary.

There might be articles moaning about Loyalist songs but it’s hard to see what law or rule they break.

Maybe I’ve picked it up wrong, but I understood the stuff that has been banned is:
TBB with ANY lyrics.
Anything with 19th Century Terrorist or pope in it.

I thought that was all? Ie Super Rangers is fine if we drop the last couple of lines. Derry’s Walls and the Sash are also acceptable.

Personally I’d like to see us drop the UVF stuff but I don’t believe we would get in trouble if we dont.

TBB with any lyrics?
Right ye are :rolleyes:

...and it you can't trust yourself not to sing the add ons just pause after 'Dundee, Hamilton' and join back in with 'if they go to Dublin we will follow on'.

The line about Dundee and Hamilton was never in ‘Follow, Follow’.

It seems to have been introduced in an old Rangers LP (changes to words were commonplace on these recordings).

Unfortunately, some supporters then used this as a basis to inject the add-on. The club should have stamped on this many years ago but failed to do so.

If the board dont defend Follow Follow then why would they advocate the use of the lyrics on our 3 latest strips?! If we keep it 'clean' then there is zero issue ffs this board is called FF for a reason. We've lost 2 classics but I'm sure many more will follow...follow

We have complicated this too much with our infighting.
UEFA rules state some songs we sing are viewed as racist. They hold the power, they have ordered 3000 seats be empty on Thursday. If the club want to remain in the competition they must follow this ruling. They have no power of appeal.
We as supporters have collective responsibility for allowing this to happen by ignoring warnings for years. We now also have the collective responsibility to follow UEFA rules as, like the club, we have no power of appeal. If we ignore them we will not be allowed to watch our team and the the ultimate sanction of being banned from European competitions. ( Imagine winning 55 and not being able to have a crack at the Champions League)
From now on ,wether we like it or not, we need to change the songs we sing. On Thursday is our first chance to show that Ibrox has the greatest atmosphere in the world on European nights and banning some of our songs doesn’t change that. Those of us lucky enough to be going have the collective responsibility to make that happen. I am sure we will as. We Are The People.

Everything we sing is under attack.
Be very clear.
The Billy Boys wasn’t targeted because the lyrics actually offended anyone... it was targeted because it was an aggressive & inspiring chant that visibly lifted Rangers sides over the years.

The lyrics could have been about Care Bears or unicorns, THEY would still have gone after it.
All water under the bridge now right enough and it has been ruled that singing it will potentially see the club punished.... so banned it is.

Situation that everyone needs to have straight in their head is that anything that Rangers supporters sing that is stirring or inspiring to our team will be targeted, “offence” will be found and claims made that it needs to be outlawed.
The Rangers support needs to work out how to make the actions of our attackers demonstrably ridiculous.

The club needs to work out whether it is at all
Interested in protecting itself or the Rangers support by being proactive about the situation.

The Billy Boys wasn’t targeted because the lyrics actually offended anyone... it was targeted because it was an aggressive & inspiring chant that visibly lifted Rangers sides over the years.

The lyrics could have been about Care Bears or unicorns, THEY would still have gone after it.
All water under the bridge now right enough and it has been ruled that singing it will potentially see the club punished.... so banned it is.

Situation that everyone needs to have straight in their head is that anything that Rangers supporters sing that is stirring or inspiring to our team will be targeted, “offence” will be found and claims made that it needs to be outlawed.
The Rangers support needs to work out how to make the actions of our attackers demonstrably ridiculous.

The club needs to work out whether it is at all
Interested in protecting itself or the Rangers support by being proactive about the situation.

Still think TBB can be worked on, in fact I believe is has to be as it will never go away, but other than that your post is spot on IMO

Still think TBB can be worked on, in fact I believe is has to be as it will never go away, but other than that your post is spot on IMO
Perception by the people running the game is that The Billy Boys is racist/sectarian/barbaric... there is no way back for it now.

It’s a bloody tragedy because it was the most rousing football anthem going and while many have “their” version... nothing could beat the arrangers support giving it laldy.

Back