For you, who’s “the captain”?

Was thinking that for younger bears, in years to come, will think of Tav as the captain. And rightly so, given his service to the club.

Personally, when I think of the captain, I think of Richard Gough. I remember reading a quote by him along the lines of…

“Even now that I still consider myself an ambassador and representative of Rangers, and would never do anything to embarrass the club”

Barry Ferguson was another great captain for much of my lifetime, but I still automatically think of Gough.

For older bears we also have Derek Johnstone and John Greig amongst many notable candidates.
1. Gough
2. Butcher
3. Ferguson

Was thinking that for younger bears, in years to come, will think of Tav as the captain. And rightly so, given his service to the club.

Personally, when I think of the captain, I think of Richard Gough. I remember reading a quote by him along the lines of…

“Even now that I still consider myself an ambassador and representative of Rangers, and would never do anything to embarrass the club”

Barry Ferguson was another great captain for much of my lifetime, but I still automatically think of Gough.

For older bears we also have Derek Johnstone and John Greig amongst many notable candidates.
Gavin Rae.

John Greig

There has been many a great Captain over the years, going as far back as Tom Vallance.
R.C. Hamilton a striker, who was our leading goalscorer for 9 consecutive seasons, and Captained the the only true invincibles in 1898-99.
Tommy Cairns who was Captain for 10 years.
Davie Meiklejohn Captained us through the hugely successful 1930's.
Jock Shaw who was Captain for as long as John Greig (13 Years).
The great George Young through the 50's, Caldow and Shearer through the early 60's.

I think it is pretty much a generational thing, those no longer with us would put up a good case for Meiklejohn, Shaw or Young.

For me though, it simply has to to be, and is, John Greig.

Lee “speaks well” Wallace

Not many people would’ve been willing to play against plumbers, taxi drivers and tree surgeons for £10k per week.

At 42 its Gough for me, continuing the standards set by Butcher before him.

No one else in my time has came close in terms of time or duty.

Honourable mention to Weir

Aye Goughie

From my lifetime; three names come to mind when I think of the captain of Rangers:

1. Richard Gough
2. Barry Ferguson
3. James Tavernier

That’s probably harsh on Lee Wallace, I think I’ve blocked out those years rather than any reflection on Wallace.

Edit: Can’t believe Weir didn’t come to mind!

John Greig

There has been many a great Captain over the years, going as far back as Tom Vallance.
R.C. Hamilton a striker, who was our leading goalscorer for 9 consecutive seasons, and Captained the the only true invincibles in 1898-99.
Tommy Cairns who was Captain for 10 years.
Davie Meiklejohn Captained us through the hugely successful 1930's.
Jock Shaw who was Captain for as long as John Greig (13 Years).
The great George Young through the 50's, Caldow and Shearer through the early 60's.

I think it is pretty much a generational thing, those no longer with us would put up a good case for Meiklejohn, Shaw or Young.

For me though, it simply has to to be, and is, John Greig.
What kind of captain was John Greig?

Led from the front. Set his own high standards by his performance. Demanded the most of hie team mates. Never shirked a challenge. Didn’t lie down to anyone especially in an era when Celtic dominated. Respected by opponents and Captain of his country. Vocal. Off the park a gentleman and impeccably behaved. Upheld our standards and led us through our darkest days (71), our hardest decade (Tim’s 9) and our greatest day Barcelona). Just a giant whose immense Leadership skills overshadowed the fact he was actually a top player alone

Probably the best way to answer this is to acknowledge that Goughie was a truly great Captain who all of us will remember fondly, but even he would vote for John Greig as the greatest of all.

Greig above them all. Bobby Shearer in the sixties when a young Greig came into the team was a formidable leader.

John Greig above all else was a leader of men.
You have to understand that for much of his reign as captain was part of the paedos first TIAR.
Through all this Greig’s commitment to Rangers never wavered and he was a shining beacon.
He drove the team on and was a fierce competitor.
For the latter part of his career he played left back though predominantly right footed.
What a player and captain.

Gough is the captain and Walter is the manager. In think its probably an age thing for most. Certainly is for me as they were the first captain and manager I can remember.

John Greig above all else was a leader of men.
You have to understand that for much of his reign as captain was part of the paedos first TIAR.
Through all this Greig’s commitment to Rangers never wavered and he was a shining beacon.
He drove the team on and was a fierce competitor.
For the latter part of his career he played left back though predominantly right footed.
What a player and captain.
It's always noticeable how respected he was by fellow team mates, and still is, by the way they speak of him in interviews.

Back