Forget Mols, Boyd & Jelavic - Current Ibrox star is Rangers' best since McCoist

The Dude

Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos might still only be 24 years old but the Colombian has already marked his place in Ibrox folklore with his stunning European goals haul for the club – and El Bufalo can be considered as the Gers’ best centre-forward since Ally McCoist was in his pomp.

Read more: https://www.rangersnews.uk/columnis...brox-star-is-gers-best-striker-since-mccoist/

Mols was a better player than Morelos but Morelos has given us
Personal view only, without the injury Mols would have been our best ever, fantastic player.

We are not close yet to seeing the best of el buff, keep the pounds off, continue to develop and he is genuinely world class
Personal view only, without the injury Mols would have been our best ever, fantastic player.

We are not close yet to seeing the best of el buff, keep the pounds off, continue to develop and he is genuinely world class
I don’t think moms would have been our best ever fantastic player as you put it above Laudrup

I love Mols....but Alfie is the best since Mols......not the more skillful, but has been better for Rangers

I really don't like this stuff, all 3 mentioned were excellent players who contributed to titles and cups. Alfie is an excellent player too and I'm glad I saw all of them play, I don't feel the need to endlessly compare.

Mols looked as if he was a whole level higher than any other centre forwards in my time watching Rangers.
Then he was made human again after the injury.
He was still very good, but when he first started playing for Rangers it was like watching a football god.

Ally McCoist was a fantastic goalscorer in the image of Colin Stein, Jim Forrest etc.
Derek Johnstone was quite simply an enormous talent who for a time was the best player at any position in the club, defence, midfield or striker.
Sadly we never saw the best of Derek as he never managed to combine experience together with fitness, Derek was on the wane as he reached his prime years.

Alfie is coming into his own as a forward.
Never a complete out and out goalscorer, he is a frontline leader who plays across the entire forward area and always has a goal in him.
He has the forwards brain of Mo Johnstone and the physical aspects of a Mark Hateley in that he can bully defenders and is often beyond their physical ability to control.

A fit and experienced Alfredo Morelos in his mid to late twenties will be a huge presence for any side in any league.
I would simply love it if it was with Rangers.
Come on Alfie, let's do the testimonial when you are thirty. :))

An article inspired by the poll in here on Friday night that asked who our best striker has been since Ally?

Like some say all great players, who knows how much Mols injury curtailed him going forward. Much the same as Rozental. We have had some great strikers through our hands, all bring something a little more different to the others. I think it's unfair to say some were better. All had different style of play. The end result is what matters and if we win games through their goals that's all that matters.

Throw in Gabriel Amato and we are one of the few to have brought in great south American players from Colombia, Chile and Argentina. Cannigia as well brought some absolute natural skill and footballing ability.

Forget nobody, bar for certain kid on Rangers who stole money from us although we signed them (why?), you know who I mean. Everybody else has played their part, Mols, Boyd & Jelavic included. As we know, Alfredo at his best is unplayable, on that form we're damned lucky to have him

Normally don't post on these comparison threads but as far as I am concerned they are pointless.
No doubt most of on here are Gers supporters and have followed the team through good and bad years.
There will have been good/bad times,in between times and we will have seen countless players good/bad wonderful and so on,so it is a pointless exercise using comparisons.
I am happy to be witnessing the resurgence of our team after the past ten or so years we have been through and to recall many years of supporting our team.
Well done on the 55 to all who got us here and to those through the "journey" who paved the way.

The Mols turn was incredible. Before his injury he was exceptional. I believe that his ability to change direction was linked to hyper mobility and that may have impacted on his cruciate injury. Alfie of course does not have that turn but he has incredibly tough joints/ligaments just like Tav. That is why they are almost never injured. Alfie could go on to greater things, he excels in Europe and clearly has not hit his ceiling.

People are too quick to say Mols because "If he didn't get that injury"

Well he did get the injury, and he turned out to be a decent player for us over a few years, but he did get the injury and as a result never fulfilled his potential with us.

Bit like saying Seb Rozental because "If he didn't get that injury"

For me , in terms of what they gave the club it would be hard to argue against Boyd, the sheer amount of goals he scored was phenomenal.

Jelavic was probably the most natural finisher since McCoist, one touch and goal.

BUT

Morelos carried a team through a couple of European Campaigns, he has scored alot of goals over a short amount of time, his all round game is better than Jelavic and Boyd, When we pick up 55 for me he is certainly up there as the most important Striker in the last 20 years.

Not sure why folk would rather find reasons not to praise him, a young lad who has came over, couldn't speak the language, had all sorts of shit thrown at him and yet been our focal point for the last 4 years.

Mind you, alot thought Cummings should have been signed and Alfie sold for a million back in the day.

It is a funny old game :D

Completely disagree, Mols without question

Let's not forget that the champion's league is also a step above the Europa League

The Buf has been the best all round striker we have had since I started supporting The Famous in 1992 as a 9 yr old boy.

I understand guys suggesting Michael Mols but the injury really had a bad effect on his Gers career. He could have been the best.

People are too quick to say Mols because "If he didn't get that injury"

Well he did get the injury, and he turned out to be a decent player for us over a few years, but he did get the injury and as a result never fulfilled his potential with us.

Bit like saying Seb Rozental because "If he didn't get that injury"

For me , in terms of what they gave the club it would be hard to argue against Boyd, the sheer amount of goals he scored was phenomenal.

Jelavic was probably the most natural finisher since McCoist, one touch and goal.

BUT

Morelos carried a team through a couple of European Campaigns, he has scored alot of goals over a short amount of time, his all round game is better than Jelavic and Boyd, When we pick up 55 for me he is certainly up there as the most important Striker in the last 20 years.

Not sure why folk would rather find reasons not to praise him, a young lad who has came over, couldn't speak the language, had all sorts of shit thrown at him and yet been our focal point for the last 4 years.

Mind you, alot thought Cummings should have been signed and Alfie sold for a million back in the day.

It is a funny old game :D
Kris Boyd was a very good finisher at SPL level.
However, you could never build a team structure or a way of playing around Kris Boyd's forward play.
You can with Alfie.

Kris is a fine part to fit into a good well-oiled side, the difference is that Alfie is a player who can make the other parts work into the shape he provides himself.

I don't know if this explains Alfie that well, but he is an incredible footballer and will only get better.

Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos might still only be 24 years old but the Colombian has already marked his place in Ibrox folklore with his stunning European goals haul for the club – and El Bufalo can be considered as the Gers’ best centre-forward since Ally McCoist was in his pomp.

Read more: https://www.rangersnews.uk/columnis...brox-star-is-gers-best-striker-since-mccoist/
Mols was more talented, but the injury fucked him. Boyd was the king of poachers, in terms of goal return he'd always finish ahead. Jelavic imo wasnt in the same league as any of them, he was good for us for a spell but theres a reason he ended up in China in his late 20s.

michael mols was simply unplayable before his injury, 2nd best foreign player to ever play in scotland

I never really get into these types of comparisons . There are so many other variables that affect it- quality of team mates, management team, playing style, quality of opposition, etc,etc.

I’ll say this. Alfies got 90 goals in 145 starts. That’s not bad in any language. And 23 goals in Europe. Yip, that’s not bad too.

Kris Boyd was a very good finisher at SPL level.
However, you could never build a team structure or a way of playing around Kris Boyd's forward play.
You can with Alfie.

Kris is a fine part to fit into a good well-oiled side, the difference is that Alfie is a player who can make the other parts work into the shape he provides himself.

I don't know if this explains Alfie that well, but he is an incredible footballer and will only get better.
I agree, as I said Morelos carried an average team the last couple of years and has even now adapted his game to benefit the team as a whole.

I agree, as I said Morelos carried an average team the last couple of years and has even now adapted his game to benefit the team as a whole.
Yes, I like that.
I am sure that Stevie and the coaching staff have been helpful in directing his enormous set of talents.
However, Alfie is football smart and you can only get top results from the brightest pupil.

Not for me

Mols pre injury was on a different level to Morelos

Also, if given the choice of Morelos or Jelavic, I’d opt for Jelavic. More technical ability, better finishing and more consistent

However, Morelos when on his game like the other night, if he could produce that performance more often he wouldn’t be far behind the above 2

Back