Forget Mols, Boyd & Jelavic - Current Ibrox star is Rangers' best since McCoist

I agree with the OP, but it’s very close with Jelavic. Alfie has done it in Europe, something Jelavic didn’t do.

Jelavic was also older and more experienced when he came to us, he was very skilful but I don’t remember him spraying 50 yard passes the way Alfie can when on form.

Alfie also has a higher ceiling than Jelavic IMO.

Very hard to call, but I’d agree with the OP.

I agree with the OP, but it’s very close with Jelavic. Alfie has done it in Europe, something Jelavic didn’t do.

Jelavic was also older and more experienced when he came to us, he was very skilful but I don’t remember him spraying 50 yard passes the way Alfie can when on form.

Both of them were different types of strikers

For technique, all round ability and finishing, Jelavic was streets ahead. Some of the goals he scored, Morelos could only dream of if we’re being honest. Overhead kick at Pittodrie, side volley first time at Tynecastle from a 70 yard ball to name a couple. Right, left, headers, free kicks for fun not to mention he could be relied upon against the mentally challengeds and didn’t have a mental block in terms of scoring

Morelos has the more aggression of the 2 and could occupy more than 1 defender, more a physical threat

In terms of Europe, I may be wrong but I’m sure Jelavic missed most of our European group games through the injury he picked up at Tynecastle from Black. Put him out from around October - February IIRC

I agree he is, folk saying Mols for 6 really good months are talking garbage.
Mols for those first four months was out of this world, but it was only four months and a dozen goals.
Morelos contribution in the past three and a half years, with pushing onto 90 goals including becoming our top scorer in Europe makes him bordering on a modern great. If things go the way I hope and expect they should over the coming months, then for me he is our best striker this century.

Both of them were different types of strikers

For technique, all round ability and finishing, Jelavic was streets ahead. Some of the goals he scored, Morelos could only dream of if we’re being honest. Overhead kick at Pittodrie, side volley first time at Tynecastle from a 70 yard ball to name a couple. Right, left, headers, free kicks for fun not to mention he could be relied upon against the mentally challengeds and didn’t have a mental block in terms of scoring

Morelos has the more aggression of the 2 and could occupy more than 1 defender, more a physical threat

In terms of Europe, I may be wrong but I’m sure Jelavic missed most of our European group games through the injury he picked up at Tynecastle from Black. Put him out from around October - February IIRC
Yeah I agree with most of that, Jelavic only really played in the Malmö (and maybe Maribor) games in Europe but obviously we didn’t progress.

I may be wrong, he scored a cracking goal against Malmö then missed a sitter I think?.

Not a criticism, genuinely asking because I can’t remember.

Last edited:

Prso was also much more consistent than Morelos, who for much of the season didn't contribute that much to the cause.

Prso was also much more consistent than Morelos, who for much of the season didn't contribute that much to the cause.
Not sure I agree with that, we only really got one decent season out of Prso but similarly to Morelos, he could win games on his own.

Prso also scored a lot less goals, again similarly though they could handle defences on their own.

Yeah I agree with most of that, Jelavic only really played in the Malmö (and maybe Maribor) games in Europe but obviously we didn’t progress.

I may be wrong, he scored a cracking goal against Malmö then missed a sitter I think?.

Not a criticism, genuinely asking because I can’t remember.

Away to Malmö we ended up down to 9 men through Bougherra going mental and Whittaker scudding one of their players with a ball IIRC

We scored early on through Jelavic I recall. Although IIRC this was under McCoist not Walter as I think Jelavic was cup tied after joining from Rapid?

Away to Malmö we ended up down to 9 men through Bougherra going mental and Whittaker scudding one of their players with a ball IIRC

We scored early on through Jelavic I recall. Although IIRC this was under McCoist not Walter as I think Jelavic was cup tied after joining from Rapid?
Yes mate, season 11/12 and those knock outs proved fatal in financial terms!.

Boughie was a bit of a pain in the arse by that point.

Worth noting this is the first season in which you could say Morelos has played in a Rangers team comparable to the ones Jelavic played in. Jelavic never had to carry a Rangers team, some of the sides Morelos has been a part of have been dire by comparison. Quite an important distinction to make really given the context.

Pre-injury Mols was mind blowing in all honesty, on ability and technique alone he’d be a clear winner, he was incredible at Utrecht and we were told he was special when we got him so it was no fluke. I feel Prso is a little bit underrated a times too, another Rangers striker who at times had to carry his team; could run at defenders, could bully defenders, could create and also scored big games goals. He was fantastic for Croatia too.

Worth noting this is the first season in which you could say Morelos has played in a Rangers team comparable to the ones Jelavic played in. Jelavic never had to carry a Rangers team, some of the sides Morelos has been a part of have been dire by comparison. Quite an important distinction to make really given the context.

Pre-injury Mols was mind blowing in all honesty, on ability and technique alone he’d be a clear winner, he was incredible at Utrecht and we were told he was special when we got him so it was no fluke. I feel Prso is a little bit underrated a times too, another Rangers striker who at times had to carry his team; could run at defenders, could bully defenders, could create and also scored big games goals. He was fantastic for Croatia too.

I agree Jelavic didn’t have to carry a team as such, but when he returned from injury he was crucial in the last 2-3 months of the season chipping in with some big goals in the league run in and obviously the winner in the cup final

I agree Jelavic didn’t have to carry a team as such, but when he returned from injury he was crucial in the last 2-3 months of the season chipping in with some big goals in the league run in and obviously the winner in the cup final

That’s true, but the same can also be said of Kyle Lafferty and he’s clearly not on the level of any of these guys.

Morelos are Jelavic are completely different players.

Jelavic was more lethal whereas Alfie does more work outside the box. I still think Jelavic shades it with his elegance and one touch finishes but Morelos is younger and has bags of potential.

Mols was world class for 6 months pre-injury. Morelos is the second top goal scorer in the Europa League since the rebrand in 2009. Morelos hasn’t even hit his peak yet. Jelavić is a totally different player from Morelos, he’s more technically gifted and has a much better one touch finish. Morelos’ work rate and link-up play is excellent though.

I mean, he isn’t.
On what basis tho? Mols was incredible pre injury but that injury did have a huge impact on his contribution. Jelavic was pure silk but again have to question whether 18 months can be measured against what Morelos has provided us in 3 seasons.

I'm not saying this headline is correct but there's definitely a debate to be had.

Mols was a magnificent striker a outstanding footballer couldn’t believe it when we signed him. If he hadn’t got injured we would have done great things with him in the team and we would have struggled to keep him.

that said Morelos is different and a real talent.

On what basis tho? Mols was incredible pre injury but that injury did have a huge impact on his contribution. Jelavic was pure silk but again have to question whether 18 months can be measured against what Morelos has provided us in 3 seasons.

I'm not saying this headline is correct but there's definitely a debate to be had.
then you could also argue his first two where he really only showed up until the winter break, then became a shadow of himself. On ability I have Mols and Jelavic as better and more natural

Completely disagree, Mols without question

Let's not forget that the champion's league is also a step above the Europa League
The Europa competition is far more competitive now that UEFA Cup was back in the day. Champions League is basically a closed shop now, it kind of was then but far more so now. If we gain an automatic entry into the CL then Alfredo has played a significant part through goals, assists and all round play to get us those coefficient points that have put Scotland into that position.

I really don't get why we consistently devalue or even fail to realise what we have in our hands. it's only after he leaves will those who do so begin to wake up to what a phenomenal talent he is.

then you could also argue his first two where he really only showed up until the winter break, then became a shadow of himself. On ability I have Mols and Jelavic as better and more natural
I can argue against that as we are now in March and he absolutely terrorised Anderlecht to get us into the last 16 of the Europa Cup.

Last season doesn't come into it as the season wasn't finished. The season before I'll give you and the season before that (when he was 22) he clearly had his head turned with talk of funny money from China.

I can argue against that as we are now in March and he absolutely terrorised Anderlecht to get us into the last 16 of the Europa Cup.

Last season doesn't come into it as the season wasn't finished. The season before I'll give you and the season before that (when he was 22) he clearly had his head turned with talk of funny money from China.
It’s why I never mentioned this season, he’s been vital and has changed his game massively to suit and help the team. Even with his lack of goals he’s huge to us and how we play, a bit like Tav when he isn’t playing we don’t play as well

It’s why I never mentioned this season, he’s been vital and has changed his game massively to suit and help the team. Even with his lack of goals he’s huge to us and how we play, a bit like Tav when he isn’t playing we don’t play as well
Surely this season has to count tho as does his all round play? See when you factor in how important he is leading the line despite not scoring then stop and take stock of his goals tally that surely signifies that he's a tremendous player?

Surely this season has to count tho as does his all round play? See when you factor in how important he is leading the line despite not scoring then stop and take stock of his goals tally that surely signifies that he's a tremendous player?
Obviously it counts I was merely highlighting previous seasons, and I just did factor in all those points. I’m not being critical either all I said was I believe Mols and Jelavic to be better and have more natural ability

Obviously it counts I was merely highlighting previous seasons, and I just did factor in all those points. I’m not being critical either all I said was I believe Mols and Jelavic to be better and have more natural ability
Natural ability all day long but the game is about more than that.

I think it is a bit of a daft question really because each striker we have had in terms of Jelavic, Boyd, Morelos, Mols have all had very different attributes. Overall Mols is the most gifted footballer out of the those 4 without a shadow of a doubt. Jelavic is not far behind Mols as technically he is was an extremely clever player and a fantastic finisher. Boyd is the most natural finisher of them all, unquestionable, look at his goals record but Boyd's overall contribution in games was next to nothing, his hold up play was poor, he wasn't a great passer of the ball, he wouldn't drift past players.

Morelos is up their with Mols but technically isn't as good a footballer as him but the difference is Mols got injured and Morelos hasn't. Morelos has went on to break Ally's record in Europe and has a pretty decent record in the league but no titles yet.

One person that seems to have been missed is Nacho Novo, I think he is one of the most important signings of the last 20 years for us. How many important goals did he score for us, big money making goals? Goals to get us into the Champions League, goals against Celtic, penalties to get us to the UEFA cup final, cup final goals.

Negri was just as good as Mols was for half a season. Perhaps not as skilful but certainly more clinical.

No he was not.

Mols was running rings round the likes of Cannavaro, Thuram and Matthaus.

These are legend of the game, some of the best defenders in history and Mols was able to treat them as if they were hammer throwers playing for St Mirren.

The Europa competition is far more competitive now that UEFA Cup was back in the day. Champions League is basically a closed shop now, it kind of was then but far more so now. If we gain an automatic entry into the CL then Alfredo has played a significant part through goals, assists and all round play to get us those coefficient points that have put Scotland into that position.

I really don't get why we consistently devalue or even fail to realise what we have in our hands. it's only after he leaves will those who do so begin to wake up to what a phenomenal talent he is.
It goes both ways, I think there are certain people in this thread devaluing players like Mols.

It's very easy to fall into the trap of thinking current players are better because you're watching them week in week out and they're achieving things. Mols playing for Rangers is now simply a distant memory, and memories are open to corruption over time.

Morelos has let us down so often as well, which is another thing that people forget, he didn't want to be here a few months ago and his play was awful in some games. This is even taking into consideration the new role he's been given to play.

I'm being honest in my assessment of Morelos, he's a good player but that's it. It's almost as if due to us being papped illegally down the leagues and having to deal with watching real journey men pull on our strips that suddenly when we get a good player it's been over-blown.

I value Morelos at around 20m, but if it was a fit Mols I'd be valuing him far higher.

Don't you get that by valuing something else higher it doesn't mean that you're reducing the value of something else?

If opinions on this forum were to be believed over the time Morelos has been here he's been valued from around 5m to 30m at various stages, and should be kept at all cost or gotten rid of depending on his disciplinary record that week.

I don't value my opinion over anyone elses, but boy have I seen some fluctuations in opinion. Whereas my opinion has been pretty much the same all this time. He can be our best player when he's in form, but when he's not he can be our worst player and this inconsistency is something which great players tend to have less of.

Mols was an incredible player, in my opinion Morelos isn't at that level. He may yet reach that, but it is not likely given what I've seen of him over the past few years.

Simply my opinion and not all opinions are supposed to match.

No he was not.

Mols was running rings round the likes of Cannavaro, Thuram and Matthaus.

These are legend of the game, some of the best defenders in history and Mols was able to treat them as if they were hammer throwers playing for St Mirren.
I think he means finishing wise.

It goes both ways, I think there are certain people in this thread devaluing players like Mols.

It's very easy to fall into the trap of thinking current players are better because you're watching them week in week out and they're achieving things. Mols playing for Rangers is now simply a distant memory, and memories are open to corruption over time.

Morelos has let us down so often as well, which is another thing that people forget, he didn't want to be here a few months ago and his play was awful in some games. This is even taking into consideration the new role he's been given to play.

I'm being honest in my assessment of Morelos, he's a good player but that's it. It's almost as if due to us being papped illegally down the leagues and having to deal with watching real journey men pull on our strips that suddenly when we get a good player it's been over-blown.

I value Morelos at around 20m, but if it was a fit Mols I'd be valuing him far higher.

Don't you get that by valuing something else higher it doesn't mean that you're reducing the value of something else?

If opinions on this forum were to be believed over the time Morelos has been here he's been valued from around 5m to 30m at various stages, and should be kept at all cost or gotten rid of depending on his disciplinary record that week.

I don't value my opinion over anyone elses, but boy have I seen some fluctuations in opinion. Whereas my opinion has been pretty much the same all this time. He can be our best player when he's in form, but when he's not he can be our worst player and this inconsistency is something which great players tend to have less of.

Mols was an incredible player, in my opinion Morelos isn't at that level. He may yet reach that, but it is not likely given what I've seen of him over the past few years.

You're doing the exact same thing with Mols. After his injury he wasn't anything special but everyone always judges him on the first 20 games, not the 80 that came after.

What would you value a 24 year old Mols at, Mols was playing mid table-lower end Dutch teams till he joined us.

People forget Mols was 28/29 when he signed and at his peak.

You're doing the exact same thing with Mols. After his injury he wasn't anything special but everyone always judges him on the first 20 games, not the 80 that came after.
Strange that you're telling me what I'm judging a player on, if you'd like to know I am judging him before the injury.

He's the best striker I've seen play for us, he then received a horrific injury and that practically ended him as a class player.

That's not his fault and no reason why his time at the club should be tarnished, he tried his best to come back and he just wasn't the same player.

Why do I have to judge a player over his entire Rangers career? Why can't I judge him on my terms - ie the best striker I've seen play in a Rangers strip?

What would you value a 24 year old Mols at, Mols was playing mid table-lower end Dutch teams till he joined us.

People forget Mols was 28/29 when he signed and at his peak.
I didn't watch him at that age so cannot comment in all honesty

Kris Boyd was a very good finisher at SPL level.
However, you could never build a team structure or a way of playing around Kris Boyd's forward play.
You can with Alfie.

Kris is a fine part to fit into a good well-oiled side, the difference is that Alfie is a player who can make the other parts work into the shape he provides himself.

Shame it took moving down south and abroad with limited success for Boyd to improve his all round play. Watching him for Killie against us in recent years, he put more of a shift in to help out defensively, hold the ball up etc. If he'd been able to add that to his game successfully in his first spell with us he'd have been an even better player that he was.

The less said about his second stint with us the better though...

Strange that you're telling me what I'm judging a player on, if you'd like to know I am judging him before the injury.

He's the best striker I've seen play for us, he then received a horrific injury and that practically ended him as a class player.

That's not his fault and no reason why his time at the club should be tarnished, he tried his best to come back and he just wasn't the same player.

Why do I have to judge a player over his entire Rangers career? Why can't I judge him on my terms - ie the best striker I've seen play in a Rangers strip?
Because that's the topic.

Back