Forget Mols, Boyd & Jelavic - Current Ibrox star is Rangers' best since McCoist

Negri was just as good as Mols was for half a season. Perhaps not as skilful but certainly more clinical.

Yes, if you judge it on being a clinical goal scorer and don’t care about how long the time period is then Negri wins it hands down. He even beats Ally in that respect.

Wiki has him at 32 goals in 30 games, but I’m sure @erskine bear will correct that.

If you want to look financially Morelos would blow the others away. Signed for 1m and pretty much secured two EL group campaigns. Even this year, when it was much more balanced squad wise, he’s effectively been involved in 8 of 9 goals to secure our last 16 place.

And that’s ignoring a potential 15m plus transfer fee we could secure.

You're only allowed to judge on the thread starter's terms mate, you're not allowed your own opinion unless it meets a specific framework :D
If you want to judge them by on any arbitrary period you want, fill your boots. The article in the op (and by extension the thread) is over their entire careers at the club.

For the fantastic player that Morelos is, I would have to agree with those that said, Mols pre-injury.

I would even suggest Marco Negri until he suffered that 'injury'.

No he was not.

Mols was running rings round the likes of Cannavaro, Thuram and Matthaus.

These are legend of the game, some of the best defenders in history and Mols was able to treat them as if they were hammer throwers playing for St Mirren.
That's a step away from the boring shite you hear from English football fans stating we play in a farmers league...

And if Mols' 6 month stint in Europe where he was unquestionably unbelievable deserve praise or marks then what can we say about Morelos who was the highest scorer in last season's Europa league for the stage we exited?

If you want to judge them by on any arbitrary period you want, fill your boots. The article in the op (and by extension the thread) is over their entire careers at the club.
so we should be including morelos's good points and bad points then?

ie, wanting away and having a hugely inconsistent season whenever he's linked elsewhere and his incredibly inconsistent form, so much so people were just wanting rid of the guy even although i thought this was too far?

like i said, mols was a far better striker and it's unfair to judge someone on the aftermath of a freak injury

he gave enough in his rangers career to prove he was an excellent striker in my opinion

you created this article just to create arguments and buzz otherwise you'd have just have mentioned one player - morelos

that would have been the classy thing to do

For the fantastic player that Morelos is, I would have to agree with those that said, Mols pre-injury.

I would even suggest Marco Negri until he suffered that 'injury'.
Mols or Negri pre-injury is only a small part of their Rangers careers though. At his very best, Mols was a better player, over the course of their respective spells at the club I dont think anyone can really argue Mols was better than Morelos.

That's a step away from the boring shite you hear from English football fans stating we play in a farmers league...

And if Mols' 6 month stint in Europe where he was unquestionably unbelievable deserve praise or marks then what can we say about Morelos who was the highest scorer in last season's Europa league for the stage we exited?

What is ‘boring shite’ about it? Are you denying that the Champions League is a higher level of football than the Scottish league ?

Alfie absolutely deserves credit for his tremendous performances in the Europa League. However he has not yet played in the CL and excelled at the same level as Mols did.

ie, wanting away and having a hugely inconsistent season whenever he's linked elsewhere and his incredibly inconsistent form, so much so people were just wanting rid of the guy even although i thought this was too far?

like i said, mols was a far better striker and it's unfair to judge someone on the aftermath of a freak injury

he gave enough in his Rangers career to prove he was an excellent striker in my opinion

you created this article just to create arguments and buzz otherwise you'd have just have mentioned one player - morelos

Absolutely include his good and bad. His bad is even referenced in the article as something that he still needs to improve on.

I can only judge them on the circumstances of their time at the club, not hypotheticals on what they might have been had x, y or z not happened.

I did create the article to create some debate. I never realised that was a bad thing to do. I'll be sure to check in with you for approval on what is deemed classy or not before I go to work each day and pitch stories.

What is ‘boring shite’ about it? Are you denying that the Champions League is a higher level of football than the Scottish league ?

Alfie absolutely deserves credit for his tremendous performances in the Europa League. However he has not yet played in the CL and excelled at the same level as Mols did.
Mols never managed to score more than twice in a single CL campaign. He hardly 'excelled'

Absolutely include his good and bad. His bad is even referenced in the article as something that he still needs to improve on.

I can only judge them on the circumstances of their time at the club, not hypotheticals on what they might have been had x, y or z not happened.

I did create the article to create some debate. I never realised that was a bad thing to do. I'll be sure to check in with you for approval on what is deemed classy or not before I go to work each day and pitch stories.
don't be silly, in my opinion journalists try and grab attention in the wrong ways nowadays

why not just create a positive article on a very good player?

forget mols jelavic boyd etc?

they've given a lot to the club and don't deserve to be forgotten, especially when being replaced by a player who at times looked like he didn't want to be here

Tricky question to answer in all honesty. Morelos is the best striker out of all of those named, for this current Rangers team imo because of his all round ability, his work ethic and his "defensive" characteristics, since we defend from the front.

Jelavic was top class, no doubt about it. He was more refined than Morelos currently is, but then you need to take into consideration, the fact we spent a fortune - at the time - on him, so we knew we were buying a finished article, while we still dont know what Morelos ceiling is. He played in a better team until this season as well imo.

It wouldnt even be a contest with Mols if it wasnt for that injury. On pure technical ability, i dont think its arguable Mols was better. In terms of contribution overall though id say Alfie has now eclipsed him and Mols is one of my favourite players ever.

Alfie has scored nearly 100 club goals and become our all time European scorer and counting. He was done it all while we have been basically rebuilding. Ive never seen any Rangers striker - Hateley aside - man handle teams in Europe they way Morelos does on his day. When Gerrard calls you unplayable it means something. So in answer to the actual question, over all of their Rangers careers it has to be Morelos for me.

don't be silly, in my opinion journalists try and grab attention in the wrong ways nowadays

why not just create a positive article on a very good player?

forget mols jelavic boyd etc?

they've given a lot to the club and don't deserve to be forgotten, especially when being replaced by a player who at times looked like he didn't want to be here
Which bit isn't positive? It seems like you're desperately trying to find a reason to complain now if you think literally mean that we should forget who Boyd Mols and Jelavic are.

Where have I tried to grab attention in the 'wrong ways'? By saying the club's all-time record European goal-scorer can be considered one of the club's best strikers in the last quarter of a century? How heinous of me.

Alfie has got quite a bit to go domestically, and consistently, before he can be considered in the same breath as Mols and Boyd certainly. In terms of all round play, Jelavic is the best striker we've had for nearly 20 years now.

Can Alfie get there? Of course he can, still young and has fantastic attributes but his inconsistency and disciplinary issues will hold him back. Sort that out and then we can have this debate again.

Mols was 29 and at his peak when he signed for Rangers. Jelavic was 25 when he signed.

El Buff was 20 when he signed and will be 25 this summer. If he grows in the next 2 years as much as the last 2 he will be a football God

Which bit isn't positive? It seems like you're desperately trying to find a reason to complain now if you think literally mean that we should forget who Boyd Mols and Jelavic are.

Where have I tried to grab attention in the 'wrong ways'? By saying the club's all-time record European goal-scorer can be considered one of the club's best strikers in the last quarter of a century? How heinous of me.
"

Forget Mols, Boyd & Jelavic - Current Ibrox star is Rangers' best since McCoist​

"

If you don't understand that then there's no hope, I'm out

"

Forget Mols, Boyd & Jelavic - Current Ibrox star is Rangers' best since McCoist​

"

If you don't understand that then there's no hope, I'm out

So you're telling me that a headline saying 'Rangers striker is best since the best one ever' is in some way negative?

Isnt there a better comparison to Alfie in DeBoer. DeBoer excelled when dropping behind a striker like Mols, Averladze or Flo and bringing other players into the game or making runs, not unlike the role Alfie has now when he plays alongside Roofe.

However its hard to make direct comparisons as todays game utilises a completely different shape, whereas early 2000s was still quite a strict 442 or Celtic's 352

Isnt there a better comparison to Alfie in DeBoer. DeBoer excelled when dropping behind a striker like Mols, Averladze or Flo and bringing other players into the game or making runs, not unlike the role Alfie has now when he plays alongside Roofe.

However its hard to make direct comparisons as todays game utilises a completely different shape, whereas early 2000s was still quite a strict 442 or Celtic's 352
De boer’s best form came as the false 9 in a 4-3-3 IMO, allowing the others to contribute which you have alluded to, where have we seen that before :))

They were all great players for us, and Mols would've been the best ever if he'd continued on the same trajectory until his injury.

Boyd is obviously a poacher, whereas Jela was a better all round player. Neither 2 would've been able to setup Kent's goal the other night due to lack of pace. None of them hold the ball up the way Alfie does, yet all previously mentioned players were better finishers.

Our previous seasons were moulded around Alfie whereas now he is the playmaker, a role reversal which has been pivotal to our season.

I'm just glad the younger fans now have players to idolise like I did when I was younger, and we're genuinely playing some of the most exciting football I've ever seen us play - especially in Europe. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but just imagine we could get to the final of the Europa? Unlikely I know, but the players have the ability to score against any team.

ie, wanting away and having a hugely inconsistent season whenever he's linked elsewhere and his incredibly inconsistent form
, so much so people were just wanting rid of the guy even although i thought this was too far?

he gave enough in his Rangers career to prove he was an excellent striker in my opinion

That's pretty subjective. In his first three seasons with us he pretty much was our only starting striker, and at a very young age. Players of his age being inconsistent isn't out of the ordinary, but Morelos has consistently performed at a high level. He's went through patches where he hasn't scored often - like every goalscorer who isn't Cristiano Ronaldo or Messi - and it was more noticeable because of the lack of other options.

I don't see how "wanting away" should be taken into account either. Barry Ferguson, a Rangers fan since infancy, "wanted away" - would that be held against him if assessing how he actually performed as a Rangers player? Morelos hasn't downed tools to force a move at any point. We've had players like Laudrup and Van Bronckhorst who had an eye on a move down south, and whose performances - and/or willingness to risk injury - were affected far more than Morelos's form has ever been.

A pretty fierce debate. I think Morelos is definitely 'up there' with the best since McCoist, but not quite sure he is the best.

Jelavic, Mols, Negri, Kenny Miller, 2nd spell and Kris Boyd's 1st are all in the mix too.

I can't quite decide between Jelavic and Kenny Miller, tbh.

Yes, if you judge it on being a clinical goal scorer and don’t care about how long the time period is then Negri wins it hands down. He even beats Ally in that respect.

Wiki has him at 32 goals in 30 games, but I’m sure @erskine bear will correct that.

If you want to look financially Morelos would blow the others away. Signed for 1m and pretty much secured two EL group campaigns. Even this year, when it was much more balanced squad wise, he’s effectively been involved in 8 of 9 goals to secure our last 16 place.

And that’s ignoring a potential 15m plus transfer fee we could secure.

If we’re changing the debate to include transfer fees and what they’ve earned us in income, Novo must be top of the list

Several massive goals contributing to more than 1 CL group qualification, Helicopter Sunday, UEFA Cup Final ...

That's pretty subjective. In his first three seasons with us he pretty much was our only starting striker, and at a very young age. Players of his age being inconsistent isn't out of the ordinary, but Morelos has consistently performed at a high level. He's went through patches where he hasn't scored often - like every goalscorer who isn't Cristiano Ronaldo or Messi - and it was more noticeable because of the lack of other options.

I don't see how "wanting away" should be taken into account either. Barry Ferguson, a Rangers fan since infancy, "wanted away" - would that be held against him if assessing how he actually performed as a Rangers player? Morelos hasn't downed tools to force a move at any point. We've had players like Laudrup and Van Bronckhorst who had an eye on a move down south, and whose performances - and/or willingness to risk injury - were affected far more than Morelos's form has ever been.

Your second paragraph I disagree with regards to you claiming Morelos hasn’t downed tools

Last season after Xmas he downed tools so much so he was left out of our Scottish cup tie at Tynecastle because he couldn’t be arsed getting back home in time from Colombia

This season he severely downed tools after the Lille bid was rejected so much so that his early season form was garbage and forced Gerrard into dropping him from a match day squad due to his performance in training. He was also benched a couple of times and subbed off as well.

There appears to be a determination on here by some folk that either knowingly gloss over some of Morelos actions or they simply conveniently forget.

If we’re changing the debate to include transfer fees and what they’ve earned us in income, Novo must be top of the list

Several massive goals contributing to more than 1 CL group qualification, Helicopter Sunday, UEFA Cup Final ...

Rod Wallace as well. Signed for free, a couple of trophy laden seasons with a barrowload of goals. Goals in Cup Finals, CL and Old Firms etc.

We have had plenty of very good players over the last 20 years or so.

Your second paragraph I disagree with regards to you claiming Morelos hasn’t downed tools

Last season after Xmas he downed tools so much so he was left out of our Scottish cup tie at Tynecastle because he couldn’t be arsed getting back home in time from Colombia

This season he severely downed tools after the Lille bid was rejected so much so that his early season form was garbage and forced Gerrard into dropping him from a match day squad due to his performance in training. He was also benched a couple of times and subbed off as well.

There appears to be a determination on here by some folk that either knowingly gloss over some of Morelos actions or they simply conveniently forget.

Saying he downed tools doesn't make it so.

Saying he downed tools doesn't make it so.

What would you class it as then?

If a player that wasn’t getting back in time for a big game, was referred to in press interviews on countless occasions by the manager questioning his attitude/desire, dropped from more than 1 match day squad for some of the above reasons. Earlier this season there was a few weeks spell where for me, he wasn’t bothering his arse

Leverkusen away, Livingston away, couple of home games earlier in the season too. Didn’t strike me as a player that was bothering his arse

Thankfully we’re beyond that spell though and the other night was certainly a glimpse of a player back at it

They were all great players for us, and Mols would've been the best ever if he'd continued on the same trajectory until his injury.

Boyd is obviously a poacher, whereas Jela was a better all round player. Neither 2 would've been able to setup Kent's goal the other night due to lack of pace. None of them hold the ball up the way Alfie does, yet all previously mentioned players were better finishers.

Our previous seasons were moulded around Alfie whereas now he is the playmaker, a role reversal which has been pivotal to our season.

I'm just glad the younger fans now have players to idolise like I did when I was younger, and we're genuinely playing some of the most exciting football I've ever seen us play - especially in Europe. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but just imagine we could get to the final of the Europa? Unlikely I know, but the players have the ability to score against any team.

Mate, honestly i couldnt agree more with that part - agree with all of it but that jumped out to me.

Its so true as a club we have been blessed with some truly iconic number 9s. Whether you think Alfies the best since McCoist or not, no can deny its great to have another 9, that we can talk about as an icon to the younger generation of Bears. After everything weve been through, he has helped lift the spirit of those Bears that have never truly known what a successful Rangers side can do.

Mate, honestly i couldnt agree more with that part - agree with all of it but that jumped out to me.

Its so true as a club we have been blessed with some truly iconic number 9s. Whether you think Alfies the best since McCoist or not, no can deny its great to have another 9, that we can talk about as an icon to the younger generation of Bears. After everything weve been through, he has helped lift the spirit of those Bears that have never truly known what a successful Rangers side can do.
My brother and I agree with these posts!.

The whole thread is subjective as is the original article and title.

Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos might still only be 24 years old but the Colombian has already marked his place in Ibrox folklore with his stunning European goals haul for the club – and El Bufalo can be considered as the Gers’ best centre-forward since Ally McCoist was in his pomp.

Read more: https://www.rangersnews.uk/columnis...brox-star-is-gers-best-striker-since-mccoist/
Looks like they have been looking at my poll thread the other day and made an article about it:)) :))

Another question for the Mols and Morelos debate

When they’re both looking back on their careers long after retirement who do you think will have had the better career?

Morelos for me

Pre injury Mols was sensational, one of the best in Europe in fact. The, 'Mols' turn was unique and genuinely think he was destined for more international caps and the very top!

Just off phone with my dad who watched Rangers from the 50’s till present day and he thinks the Buff Is the best we have had.

Back