Article Forgotten: Scotland’s Former Football League Clubs By Robin Holmes

Might have been another club using the same name. Or he has made a mistook?
Looks like another club.
Scottish Cup records show Petershill competing in the years prior to the game against Cowlairs. In 3 consecutive season they went out in the 1st Round.

Looking at the Cowlairs Wikipedia page, it makes mention of Petershill Juniors forming in 1897, the year after Cowlairs were dissolved.

Interesting wee bit about Port Glasgow Athletic, I used to work with an old boy from the Port who sold tote tickets for the Port Glasgow Protestant Athletic club. Did one become the other?

Air
I found another little article about Bathgate FC in case any West Lothian Bears are interested.

There does not seem to be any relationship between Bathgate FC (folded in 1932) and junior side Bathgate Thistle (formed 1937). Thistle play at Creamery Park which used to host some Rangers reserve games in the 1990s.

Bathgate - Then and Now

16 January 2016 ·

Mill Park – the home of Bathgate F.C. from 1903 to 1932
Earliest record of an organised football match in Bathgate was reported by the West Lothian Courier in April 1879 – “A match took place on the ground of the Bathgate Club between Clarkson and the home team when victory fell to the strangers by four goals to none”
Several clubs were formed in the following decade including – The Volunteers, Durhamtown Rangers, Bathgate Athletic, West Lothian Thistle and Bathgate Rovers. Bathgate Rovers was the most successful defeating Falkirk in the 1891/92 Scottish Cup.
The problem of too many clubs chasing too few resources forced most of them out of business. In July 1893, in an attempt to pool resources in the town, a public meeting was called and a new club called Bathgate Football Club was formed. The club colours were maroon and the club took over Old Boghead Park from the recently defunct cricket club.
In 1903, the club leased ground at Russell Row (now bottom end of Waverley Street) from Daniel Stewart’s Hospital (purchased Balbardie estate in 1861). The following year a limited liability company was formed with a share capital of 500 £1 shares.
The club was invited to join the Central League - the most senior outside the Scottish League and then in 1921 most of the clubs from the Central League were invited to form a new Scottish League Second Division. Bathgate joined neighbours Armadale, Broxburn and Bo'ness in this new league.
In February 1922, Bathgate defeated First Division Falkirk 1-0 in the Scottish Cup. The attendance record for the Mill Park was set at this match – 10,000.
In January 1923 in the Scottish Cup, Bathgate drew 1-1 with Queen’s Park at Hampden in front of a crowd of over 60,000. (Bathgate lost the replay 0-2 the following week)
In 1932, Bathgate Town Council acquired the ground for housebuilding – the last match played at the Mill Park was against the Civil Service Strollers on Saturday 16th April 1932 – Bathgate won 2-1 and won the Edinburgh and District League title. Bathgate Football Club was disbanded – the stand went to Stenhousemuir and Marmion Road occupies most of the original pitch area.

Sources: Bathgate Book Various 2001
Bathgate Thistle Junior Football Club
– a history Ian Anderson 1993
West Lothian’s Scottish Cup History Gus Martin 2015
The Volunteers might have an interesting, if short, history.

Airdrie Utd. Sure I’ve heard pundits, reporters referring to them over the years as Airdrieonians even though it’s a separate club.

Nothing to do with Dumbarton, we dont like these boys out here. :)) We are 4 miles up river where the water is much cleaner. :cool: In answer to your question yes.
Also keep in mind Renton also top team in the earlier league set up. Not much written about them.

Also keep in mind Renton also top team in the earlier league set up. Not much written about them.
I played for the mighty Renton in the centenary game v West Brom youths back in 1988. This was to mark 100 years since the " village" were world champions. how time flies. :))

Interesting read, I think I’ll get this book. The thing I notice the most is the strips, they all seemed a bit more ‘jazzy’ than today’s efforts.

The book can be a bit heavy reading at first but stick with it.

The Cambuslang story is fantastic and Bathgate area in the early days was very interesting with 4 clubs on the go around the same time.

So many old team names pop in and out of stories which make you think about how many clubs have actually played top flight football in Scotland.

Very strange to read the similarities with "corruption" within the Scottish game in the early days and looking at it as it is now. It's never been far away at any time.

Somewhere within my childhood programme collection I have Meadowbank's first home game as a league club, v Alloa, 1974.

Yes they play at Milburn Park just next to the Leven. When I walk past the park I take a peek in and look at the pitch and small terracing and just for a minute imagine it in it's heyday playing in the top flight and welcoming The Rangers like true gentlemen not like today's corrupt cabal who are ruining our game.
Im a Bonhill lad originally, used to love going to Milburn, my Papa played for Dumbarton in the 20's/30's, a wee sttory passed down, he said Milburn had the best pitch in Scotland, Dumbarton who had a tottie patch at Boghead bought the pitch, after a couple of seasons it was bought from them by Rangers who installed it at Ibrox.

Back