Formats for three European competitions approved

mdingwall

Administrator

Uefa ratifies Champions League revamp as Čeferin berates ‘disgraceful’ ESL plan​

Martin Ross
Uefa’s executive committee has today (Monday) approved the new format for the Uefa Champions League from 2024-25 onwards as it presses ahead with its plans in the face of the European Super League breakaway threat.

The announcement of the new format, which increases the number of group-stage teams from 32 to 36, came as Uefa president Aleksander Čeferin continued to berate those behind the Super League project, describing it as “a spit in the face of all football lovers”.

Uefa said this afternoon that the approval of the ‘Swiss model’ format has come “after two years of widespread consultations” and confirms the “joint commitment to the principle of open competition and sporting merit across the continent” as well as helping to sustain domestic leagues.

The change will see the creation of a single league instead of individual groups. Each club will play 10 group games, rather than six, with eight sides qualifying automatically for the knockout stage and the teams finishing in ninth to 24th position competing over two-legged playoffs to secure their spot in the last 16.

A similar format will be adopted for the second-tier Europa League (with eight matches in the league stage) and the new Europa Conference League (with six matches). Both competitions may also be expanded to 36 teams in the league phase in due course.

In announcing the approval of the new format, Uefa underlined that it will “initiate steps to ensure that greater financial solidarity will be delivered to a wider spectrum of clubs who do not participate in Uefa club competitions”.

However, the reform comes with Uefa facing its greatest-ever threat to the future of its elite clubs competition in the shape of the European Super League project unveiled by 12 leading clubs last night.

England’s Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur have joined Italy’s AC Milan, Inter Milan and Juventus, plus Spain’s Atlético Madrid, Barcelona and Real Madrid as the founding members of the competition.

Three more clubs are to join ahead of the inaugural season, “which is intended to commence as soon as practicable”, with clubs intending to continue playing in their domestic league and cup competitions.

A furious Čeferin doubled down on his criticism of the plans during a virtual press conference this afternoon, with particular rancour reserved for Juventus’ Andrea Agnelli, who has resigned as president of the European Club Association to become vice-chairman of the ESL, and Manchester United’s executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward.

The Slovenian said: “I cannot stress more strongly at the moment that Uefa and the football world stand together alongside this disgraceful, self-serving project from a select few clubs in Europe fuelled by greed above all else.

“This idea is a spit in the face of all football lovers and our society as well. We must not let them take [football] away from us. I have seen many things in my life, I was a criminal lawyer for 24 years. I’ve seen many people. I’ve never seen anyone like that.

“If I start with Ed Woodward, but he called me last Thursday, saying that he’s very satisfied with reforms and he fully supports them. Obviously he already signed something else.

“[Agnelli is] probably the biggest disappointment of all. I don’t want to be too personal, but I have never seen a person who lied so many times as persistently as he did. I spoke to him on Saturday and he said these were only rumours, nothing going on. Then he turned off the phone. Greediness is so strong that all the human values evaporate. It’s always good to know in life, who is who.”

Čeferin underlined Uefa (and Fifa’s) stance that players who take part in the Super League would be banned from playing in the European Championships or World Cup. The 12 clubs have written to Fifa and Uefa to inform them that legal steps are already being taken in a bid to counteract action intended to prevent the launch of the breakaway competition, according to a letter obtained by the Associated Press.

Čeferin continued: “We didn’t know we had snakes working close to us, but now we know.

“[The] Super League is only about money, money of the dozen, I don’t want to call them [the] dirty dozen, but Uefa is about developing football, and about financing what should be financed, that our football, our culture survives, and some people don’t understand it.”

JPMorgan backing​

The league is backed by $6bn (€5bn) in financing from bank JPMorgan. Reports of this financing and the piecing together of the ESL project emerged last October.

The founding clubs are to receive €3.5bn ($4.2bn) “solely to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the Covid pandemic”, a statement from the ‘European Super League Company S.L.’ said. It promised that the competition would be built on a “sustainable financial foundation” and would require founding clubs to sign up to a “spending framework”.

JPMorgan has provided a debt financing deal amortised over 23 years and secured against future broadcast rights to the competition, people with knowledge of the terms told The Financial Times today.

Competing clubs are in line for a “welcome bonus” of between €200m and €300m each, it is reported. One person close to the Super League project told the Financial Times that the payment should instead be regarded as an advance on future revenues which would need to be repaid if any club chose to leave the competition.

The 15 member clubs are expected to jointly own the newly-incorporated company in Spain (European Super League Company S.L.), which is to share all future broadcast and sponsorship rights derived from the tournament.

Anas Laghrari, a banker at Key Capital, the Spanish financial advisory firm, has been named general secretary of the Super League. He is thought to have close ties to Real Madrid president Florentino Pérez, who is to be the first chairman of the league.

Addressing the potential for the new league to skew financial power in European football even more heavily towards the continent’s biggest clubs, the league has claimed that it plans large ‘solidarity payments’.

“The new annual tournament will provide significantly greater economic growth and support for European football via a long-term commitment to uncapped solidarity payments which will grow in line with league revenues. These solidarity payments will be substantially higher than those generated by the current European competition and are expected to be in excess of €10bn during the course of the initial commitment period of the clubs,” the statement added.

According to the plans, the €10bn would be paid out over 23 years.

The breakaway threat is not new, albeit plans are now at a more advanced stage than ever before. Leading clubs, disillusioned at their financial share of revenues from the Champions League and the ‘damage’ to the brand caused by the inclusion of sides from smaller countries at the expense of other heavyweights, have issued similar threats previously before new agreements were ultimately thrashed out.

The pandemic and the resultant hit to European football finances have spurred the reform discussions. Some clubs and prominent figures within European football, including Real Madrid’s Pérez, have been agitating for a European Super League for many years.

The planned ESL would involve 20 clubs each season, with five qualifiers per season joining the 15 permanent members. Matches would be played midweek so that all clubs could continue to play in their domestic leagues.

This has gone under the radar because of the ESL stuff - the CL sounds genuinely rubbish in this format.

More time goes on the more I'm happy to compete in the Europa League, good mix of clubs from across Europe with similar aspirations to ourselves, alongside some of the bigger clubs from the big leagues. Cracking competition.
Europa is to be the same but 8 games instead of the 10 in the CL.

If/when this goes tits up will the respective chairmen or whatever their positions/titles are be allowed to take up the mantle again from the positions they resigned,hopefully not.

FFS.
I was aware of their plan to butcher the CL. I didn't know they were intending to destroy the Europa League as well

The change will see the creation of a single league instead of individual groups. Each club will play 10 group games, rather than six, with eight sides qualifying automatically for the knockout stage and the teams finishing in ninth to 24th position competing over two-legged playoffs to secure their spot in the last 16.

Am i understanding this right? How can you play 10 games in a league of 36 teams? I must be being totally stupid, wtf??

Edit: Had a look on UEFA website, it's not me that's being totally stupid.

Last edited:
It’s seems a bit odd to me these clubs believe ‘they’ll continue to compete in their respective domestic leagues each weekend’. Surely La Liga, Premier League etc will have something to say about that?

A 36 team league where you play 10 of the other 35 teams?

I guess it will be seeded but you are still playing a completely different schedule from the other teams.

Where is the incentive in the last 3 or 4 games if your spot between 9th and 24th is guaranteed and you won't finish higher or lower than that?

"The final two places will go to the clubs with the highest club coefficient over the last five years that have not qualified for the Champions League group stage but have qualified either for the Champions League qualification phase, the Europa League or the Europa Conference League."

Although the ESL is a lot of nonsense, this stuff is a complete joke. Just supporting these big clubs who have a rubbish season. Just protecting the big clubs and their TV deals in the best way possible, while ruining the Europa League in the process, which is the more entertaining tournament currently.

Also, the format of it makes little sense, for instance is it still seeded? How can it be fair on those unseeded to be playing Bayern/PSG to try qualify when Bayern/PSG etc are playing the likes of Midtjylland & Rennes? Unless the top seeds will play each other also?

The Dirty Dozen have ruined the CL with this new format so people will be more interested in their Super League. Read the Pèrez interview and all he goes on about is how the new format is boring, when it’s been set up at their behest.

Ban these clubs immediately and let’s get back to a bit of competition within European football.

"The final two places will go to the clubs with the highest club coefficient over the last five years that have not qualified for the Champions League group stage but have qualified either for the Champions League qualification phase, the Europa League or the Europa Conference League."

Although the ESL is a lot of nonsense, this stuff is a complete joke. Just supporting these big clubs who have a rubbish season. Just protecting the big clubs and their TV deals in the best way possible, while ruining the Europa League in the process, which is the more entertaining tournament currently.

Also, the format of it makes little sense, for instance is it still seeded? How can it be fair on those unseeded to be playing Bayern/PSG to try qualify when Bayern/PSG etc are playing the likes of Midtjylland & Rennes? Unless the top seeds will play each other also?
Am I reading that first paragraph correctly? If Rangers were to continue our excellent progress in Europe under Gerrard and get a superb 5 year co-efficient as a result, we could see a situation where we get knocked out in the CL qualifiers but still get into the CL group stages - as one of the two wildcards - because of that 5 year co-efficient. Surely not? I must be reading that wrongly or its been misquoted. Its bonkers.

Obviously more likely to apply to one of the 'big league' teams but, as a principal, its just crazy nonsense.

EDIT: Actually The Athletic video in post #19 is well worth a watch and answers many questions. It also confirms the new system is shit. More cake for the 'big' guys and even fewer crumbs for the rest of us.:mad:

Last edited:
How was the new format approved - is it by a UEFA committee or by a vote of the ECA?

Is there a chance, with the Super League clubs no longer represented in UEFA or the ECA, for a vote to rescind these changes and proposals reformulated to suit the non-super clubs?

It’s seems a bit odd to me these clubs believe ‘they’ll continue to compete in their respective domestic leagues each weekend’. Surely La Liga, Premier League etc will have something to say about that?
Sure hope so! Would be nice to see PL pushing back!

Am I reading that first paragraph correctly? If Rangers were to continue our excellent progress in Europe under Gerrard and get a superb 5 year co-efficient as a result, we could see a situation where we get knocked out in the CL qualifiers but still get into the CL group stages because of that 5 year co-efficient. Surely not? I must be reading that wrongly or its been misquoted. Its bonkers.

Obviously more likely to apply to one of the 'big league' teams but, in principal you get my drift.
If, at the beginning of any given season, our five year coefficient was good enough to get us into the CL proper (I say 'proper' rather than 'group stages' because the groups are being done away with) then for that season I would imagine we'd bypass the CL qualifiers altogether.

Whether our qualification spot would then go to another Scottish side or a side from overseas is not something I'm able to answer.

But this new format does some inherently unfair. How can you have all participants in one big league of 36 sides, playing 10 matches only, and then being ranked at the end of these matches to determine which sides progress to the next stage, given that everyone's opponents will be different?

How can Team A be judged to have finished higher in the table than Team B, when Team A and Team B have faced largely (or maybe even entirely) different opponents? It's not a fair comparison.

If the ESL sides do indeed breakaway and are then banned from domestic and UEFA tournaments, my solution would be to keep the group and knockout phases of the CL as they already are, but get rid of seeding.

So once you have your 32 CL participants, it's an open draw. If you end up with a group of two English sides and two Spanish sides, and a group with Rangers along with three sides from Eastern Europe, then so be it.

Remember, there'd be no Real Madrid, Man United etc throwing their toys out of their pram over this, as they'd no longer be taking part. They'd be too busy in their closed shop, winning and losing don't mean anything league, exclusively live on Disney TV.

If, at the beginning of any given season, our five year coefficient was good enough to get us into the CL proper (I say 'proper' rather than 'group stages' because the groups are being done away with) then for that season I would imagine we'd bypass the CL qualifiers altogether.

Whether our qualification spot would then go to another Scottish side or a side from overseas is not something I'm able to answer.

But this new format does some inherently unfair. How can you have all participants in one big league of 36 sides, playing 10 matches only, and then being ranked at the end of these matches to determine which sides progress to the next stage, given that everyone's opponents will be different?

How can Team A be judged to have finished higher in the table than Team B, when Team A and Team B have faced largely (or maybe even entirely) different opponents? It's not a fair comparison.

If the ESL sides do indeed breakaway and are then banned from domestic and UEFA tournaments, my solution would be to keep the group and knockout phases of the CL as they already are, but get rid of seeding.

So once you have your 32 CL participants, it's an open draw. If you end up with a group of two English sides and two Spanish sides, and a group with Rangers along with three sides from Eastern Europe, then so be it.

Remember, there'd be no Real Madrid, Man United etc throwing their toys out of their pram over this, as they'd no longer be taking part. They'd be too busy in their closed shop, winning and losing don't mean anything league, exclusively live on Disney TV.
So, as I read it, you have made it through to CL qualification but have not qualified for the group/league stage but can still get into the groups? Its clearly aimed at a situation where the likes of Liverpool finish 4th in England but they don't want them to have to play qualifiers and want to parachute them straight into the group stages. It's a nonsense. And they have the cheek to call out the ESL proposals. UEFA are every bit as corrupt. Every f*cker is bending over backwards to ensure the big boys get a bigger and bigger slice of the pie and the rest of us are left fighting over the crumbs on the table.

"that have not qualified for the Champions League group stage but have qualified either for the Champions League qualification phase, the Europa League or the Europa Conference League."

EDIT: Actually The Athletic video in post #19 is well worth a watch and answers many questions. It also confirms the new system is shit. More cake for the 'big' guys and even fewer crumbs for the rest of us. :mad:

Last edited:

I think that the first round of games are drawn randomly. After that you play against teams with a similar amount of points so each game should be against a team close to you in the league table and should be meaningful.

I think that the first round of games are drawn randomly. After that you play against teams with a similar amount of points so each game should be against a team close to you in the league table and should be meaningful.
It's still far too convoluted.

A league must involve every team playing every other team.

Am I reading that first paragraph correctly? If Rangers were to continue our excellent progress in Europe under Gerrard and get a superb 5 year co-efficient as a result, we could see a situation where we get knocked out in the CL qualifiers but still get into the CL group stages - as one of the two wildcards - because of that 5 year co-efficient. Surely not? I must be reading that wrongly or its been misquoted. Its bonkers.

Obviously more likely to apply to one of the 'big league' teams but, as a principal, its just crazy nonsense.
Yeah that's from their UEFA website press release, it is complete nonsense.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/new...format-for-club-competitions-to-be-introduce/

I thought the super league sounded bad , this farce seems worse

wild card nonsense, your out your are out , bad enough if go out the CL you go into the europa

I’m getting a migraine trying to work out how this is going to work ...... suffering Jesus

So you have 36 teams playing 10 games in the group stage yet all those games only reduces 36 teams to 24.
See the video in post #19. It helps - but only a little.

36 teams start. Play 10 random games. Top 8 go through to knock-outs. Bottom 12 'disappear' (doesn't say if eliminated entirely or drop to EL). Middle 16 are drawn into 8 play-off games with the 8 winners advancing to knock-out stage and the 8 losers 'disappearing' (doesn't say if eliminated entirely or drop to EL).

Great, eh?:rolleyes:

See the video in post #19. It helps - but only a little.

36 teams start. Play 10 random games. Top 8 go through to knock-outs. Bottom 8 'disappear' (doesn't say if eliminated entirely or drop to EL). Middle 16 are drawn into 8 play-off games with the 8 winners advancing to knock-out stage and the 8 losers 'disappearing' (doesn't say if eliminated entirely or drop to EL).

Accoridng to uefa website, the bottom 8 are out altogether but it’s not made clear what happens to those who lose the playoff for the last 16

Accoridng to uefa website, the bottom 8 are out altogether but it’s not made clear what happens to those who lose the playoff for the last 16
I edited my post. My arithmetic tells me it would be a bottom 12 rather than a bottom 8. You have a top 8 and a middle 16. That leaves 12 out of the 36 'disappearing'.

This new setup is a complete and utter abomination, genuinely the worst idea I've ever heard of to come to fruition, hopefully common sense prevails but somehow I doubt it.

I actually prefer the ESL model that's how bad it is, time to lobby the big clubs to let us join in on a second tier basis with promotion and relegation.

Fuçk UEFA and fùck the SPFL!

This has gone under the radar because of the ESL stuff - the CL sounds genuinely rubbish in this format.

More time goes on the more I'm happy to compete in the Europa League, good mix of clubs from across Europe with similar aspirations to ourselves, alongside some of the bigger clubs from the big leagues. Cracking competition.
These changes are terrible and ironic....they were brought about to stave off any attempted ESL!!

Prefer the current model
But does the new format roll into January or feb to accommodate the last 16 when it gets to that stage?

Last edited:
So how do they determine the 10 opponents you play and whether the games will be home and away?

It's a completely effed up idea. Give me back unseeded straight two leg KO

I’m getting a migraine trying to work out how this is going to work ...... suffering Jesus
My questions are..

1) do clubs still require play offs prior to entering league format, this part isn't really clear and more or less regarding smaller nations like Andorra,Luxembourg and will it effect Scotland into the bargain?

2) 10 games 5 home 5 away, what dates will these games be played? If added onto the former group stage form then do we start this champions league in July? Or does it roll on into the new year ? .... our own domestic fixtures are said to not be effected.

Sounds like our euro fixtures are being increased even after we go up the coefficient but I don't like change that frankly isn't required..... and unless answers are giving soon i don't support it

Not that uefa will care anyhow

My questions are..

1) do clubs still require play offs prior to entering league format, this part isn't really clear and more or less regarding smaller nations like Andorra,Luxembourg and will it effect Scotland into the bargain?

2) 10 games 5 home 5 away, what dates will these games be played? If added onto the former group stage form then do we start this champions league in July? Or does it roll on into the new year ? .... our own domestic fixtures are said to not be effected.

Sounds like our euro fixtures are being increased even after we go up the coefficient but I don't like change that frankly isn't required..... and unless answers are giving soon i don't support it

Not that uefa will care anyhow
No idea on question 2 but for question 1 you’d assume there will still need to be qualifying rounds in order to get the required 36 (instead of 32) group/league stage entrants. And remember, the additional 4 will be ‘wildcards’ so, in reality, no easier to make it through qualification other than a few ‘bigger’ teams being out the equation.

Its shite.

Last edited:
That new format is far too complicated and far too stupid.

Anything about the horrendous number of qualifiers needed for champion clubs outside the chosen few countries?

So you don't even know who you will play at the start of the campaign?

Getting seeded into the 10 games based on “historical performance” is troubling. All this does is take away the big shock upsets of the champions league and small sides will never be seeded against the likes of Barca or Juve to have the opportunity to be giant killers.

Funny that they call this The Swiss Model cause it needs legally euthanised.

No idea on question 2 but for question 1 you’d assume there will still need to be qualifying rounds in order to get the required 36 (instead of 32) group/league stage entrants. And remember, the additional 4 will be ‘wildcards’ so, in reality, no easier to make it through qualification other than a few ‘bigger’ teams being out the equation.

Its shite.
The two extra ones (apart from the wildcards) will be one French side and one Champion that has quite a high coefficient.

So say the competition started next season it would be Monaco or Lyon + RB Salzburg.

RB Salzburg getting direct access would slightly indirectly benefit us as it would make the CL qualifiers easier and make it easier to be seeded for them.

The two wildcards would be out of:
Juventus
Liverpool
Chelsea
Dortmund
Roma
Spurs

Back