Former Ref David Syme has died

Porto Loyal

Just announced on the Glasgow Referees FB page.

It is with great sadness, that I have to advise you that David Syme passed away last night in East Kilbride’s Hospice.

David, a former FIFA referee, had a distinguished refereeing career and was President of the Association in season 1977/78.

My condolences and deepest sympathy go to his family and friends.

A more detailed tribute will be issued shortly.

Used to bring his sons to Ibrox with their Rangers gear on when he refereed a game here. RIP.
He did. I saw him one midweek match.
I remember after he had retired he spoke of his memories from the game. Good and bad. Jock Stein used to ensure his players disrespected him before matches when he would go into the dressing room to check their boots. He would tell them he (Syme) would give them nothing and his father was the same.
This was the siege mentality imposed by Stein and it still remains today.
David Syme was a decent Referee. He was verbally and physically abused by the scum at the league Cup final 1986.
He was also struck by a coin.

He did. I saw him one midweek match.
I remember after he had retired he spoke of his memories from the game. Good and bad. Jock Stein used to ensure his players disrespected him before matches when he would go into the dressing room to check their boots. He would tell them he (Syme) would give them nothing and his father was the same.
This was the siege mentality imposed by Stein and it still remains today.
David Syme was a decent Referee. He was verbally and physically abused by the scum at the league Cup final 1986.
He was also struck by a coin.
Was that not because Syme came from a Celtic supporting family ??

Was it not a lump of mud thrown by Mo and he was going to send off the wrong player..

He had just sent Johnston off when he got hit by a coin. He thought Celtic player Tony Shepherd had hit him in the back of ths head and also sent him off. Then he got shown the coin, realised he made a mistake, and cancelled Shepherd's red card.

Sad news met him a few times as he was related to a family friend. Very nice guy and good referee

He had just sent Johnston off when he got hit by a coin. He thought Celtic player Tony Shepherd had hit him in the back of ths head and also sent him off. Then he got shown the coin, realised he made a mistake, and cancelled Shepherd's red card.

Absolutely spot on mate. And then Johnston decided to wind us up.

Just announced on the Glasgow Referees FB page.
I’m sure he was the Ref in a youth game I played in in the 80s. A tournament at the old Scotstoun. I hit my head on a post making a save and he just quipped “ it’s ok no damage he’s a keeper no brains!” R.I.P.

At a reserve game v the separate entity way back he was sat On our side of the stand (game at the east end crime scene)
The old man spoke to him
Seems he owed us a penalty from a previous game
He was a nice man
RIP

Back