Kamberi

He hardly put a foot wrong in his time here and changed the game numerous times, particularly against Braga and even Leverkusen he done well when he came on. You'll have a hard time finding a player better than him who's cheaper and willing to sit on the bench for Alfie's replacement.
We don’t require players who are happy to sit on the bench ( I would be amazed if he is) we need proven quality and I am sorry but he is not even close to what we require !

Made a good impact on games, for me, did more than Morelos in second part of season. Worthy of a place in the squad IMO.

If we get him on the cheap or as part of a swap deal for the likes of Docherty, I think he did enough to merit a place in the squad.

However, I feel we should be looking to add better quality backup to really challenge Alfie (assuming he stays) and if that precludes signing Kamberi too, so be it.

With Defoe still under contract, I’d hate to think we’ll start next season with that trio alone.

We don’t require players who are happy to sit on the bench ( I would be amazed if he is) we need proven quality and I am sorry but he is not even close to what we require !
There is a difference between being happy to and being willing to. If Patterson is on the bench next season do you think he will be happy to? No, but he will be willing to because his competition is Tav. Proven quality strikers will only come here if they are getting regular game time, that won't happen with one place up for grabs so keep dreaming.

Now, I’m not convinced myself but we could have said the same about the below......

Steven Naismith - a decent enough player and could do a job for us.
Kris Boyd - a decent enough player and could do a job for us.
Kevin Thomson - a decent enough player and could do a job for us.
Aluko - a decent enough player and could do a job for us.
Novo - a decent enough player and could do a job for us.

you know where I’m going....
I take your point - but I just think we need something stronger for a season-long dogfight.

Most of those you mentioned knew what it was like to lift silverware and they slotted in alongside proven winners. Those I've mentioned haveven't lifted a single piece of silverware between them and will be slotting in alongside more of the same. If we're going to unseat the mentally challengeds, we need better.

Not fussed about whether we keep him or not. Seems a decent lad and could potentially contribute over the course of a season. But I suspect there’s a bunch of other players out there who would fit in just as well.

Only really joined the thread to point out the dodgy sounding title. Oo-er missus.

Now, I’m not convinced myself but we could have said the same about the below......

Steven Naismith - a decent enough player and could do a job for us.
Kris Boyd - a decent enough player and could do a job for us.
Kevin Thomson - a decent enough player and could do a job for us.
Aluko - a decent enough player and could do a job for us.
Novo - a decent enough player and could do a job for us.

you know where I’m going....
I would disagree with this, Boyd, Naismith and Thomson were not just decent players when we signed them. They were standouts for the teams they were at, at the time. Kamberi has never been a standout for hibs

Was decent in his short time, wish him the best.

Can’t help but feel any potential fee we’d spend on him could be better spent elsewhere.

If we bring in a Striker which I think we should do, he has to be someone who we can see being top goalscorer in the league.

If not I'd rather keep Morelos, Defoe and Stewart and use Kamberi fee and wages elsewhere.

Its the in thing on here.

He isn't what's required for Europe. However he is the kind of striker who would thrive here. But he isn't good enough for most.

Exactly! He’s not going to be leading the line in Europe mostly, however he can be the guy who starts away to Hamilton on the following Sunday.

Defoe will have another year into his legs and since the turn of the year it wasn’t hard to snuff him out when he was fit.

For £700k I think Kamberi is worth it.

Can we make this thread more about the fact 4 Lads obviously have information that some BS article has been written and is due for publication?

I had to read through twice to see if it had came out what this article was about. No-one seems to care mind you.

He hardly put a foot wrong in his time here and changed the game numerous times, particularly against Braga and even Leverkusen he done well when he came on. You'll have a hard time finding a player better than him who's cheaper and willing to sit on the bench for Alfie's replacement.

Agreed. The utility of the forwards is how I viewed him, could play anywhere over the front 3 and is more than an apt deputy. Reminds me of Kyle Lafferty in how he was an impact player with fire in his belly, where raw talent wasn't a plenty.

He showed a bit of urgency in a team that was going through the motions which caught people's eye.

He would be an ok 3rd choice striker if we hadn't signed Defoe but I'd now expect Defoe to be 3rd choice with Morelos + 1 or 2 new signings if Morelos leaves.

Exactly! He’s not going to be leading the line in Europe mostly, however he can be the guy who starts away to Hamilton on the following Sunday.

Defoe will have another year into his legs and since the turn of the year it wasn’t hard to snuff him out when he was fit.

For £700k I think Kamberi is worth it.

Where you getting £700k from?

I’d keep him! He offers something different when playing. He’s not going to be 1st or 2nd choice but deffo worth keeping

Where you getting £700k from?
Sorry, someone mentioned further up the thread about £700k, I recall there being a discussion had when he was signing that a fee had been agreed if we were to buy. You would expect there to be.

£700k seemed about right given that he’s not a starter for Hibs and they could probably do with the cash.

I like Kamberi as a back up and think he's done ok in his few appearances but am I right in saying he was only bought because Defoe got injured and we had just a week of the January transfer window left and looking about, he was the best option that ticked all the requirements in terms of availability, cost and knowing the league?

Given another 6 months since then, I would hope our scouting dept could identify a better option as a back up/supporting striker so unless we could get him for a relatively low wage and transfer fee (say £4k/week and £250k which I doubt is achievable) then I'd say thanks but no. We can do better.

Last edited:
Assuming we have Alfredo (or an equivalent replacement) and Defoe, can someone suggest our 3rd striker (it has to be someone content to be a bench warmer, ie not Vydra who won't accept a subs place in the SPFL).

I’m
I would disagree with this, Boyd, Naismith and Thomson were not just decent players when we signed them. They were standouts for the teams they were at, at the time. Kamberi has never been a standout for hibs
I’m not convinced myself with Kamberi

My point wasn’t specifically about him it was aimed at the list of players the poster had quoted

Dykes - he’s Livi’s stand out
Ferguson - he’s Aberdeens
Shinnie - Was Aberdeens

My point was more about debate, we’ve signed players in the past from the league and they’ve done us an unbelievable turn, would it be completely the wrong thing to do and add some to this squad?

He showed flashes.

Very good against St Johnstone in particular and plugged a gap after the Defoe injury.

But to suggest he would be a good signing is utterly laughable.

A million mile away from where we need to be.

he kind of burnt his bridges at Hibs :)) wonder how much they would be after, 700k?
slip of the hand with that last 0 :D 70k and we'll have him .play hard ball with the jakies
I like him and feel he gives us something a bit more direct and they don't want him so whats to lose .either that or they take a player beck when they,ve no money to pay his wages considering they are releasing some today . get it done

I like Kamberi as a back up and think he's done ok in his few appearances but am I right in saying he was only bought because Defoe got injured and we had just a week of the January transfer window left and looking about, he was the best option that ticked all the requirements in terms of availability, cost and knowing the league?

Given another 6 months since then, I would hope our scouting dept could identify a better option as a back up/supporting striker so unless we could get him for a relatively low wage and transfer fee (say £4k/week and £250k which I doubt is achievable) then I'd say thanks but no. We can do better.
In the upcoming financial armageddon would we be spunking 4k a week on the likes of Kamberi?
Surely not.

As I asked in #286, who should we sign to sit on the bench ? It's easy to say Kamberi is no use.
Nobody should be signed to sit on the bench. Any signing we make has to be capable of contending for a starting position. I get that with Morelos and Defoe, it would be pointless to sign a 3rd forward, so why not sign someone who can play anywhere along the front 3, that way, we have someone that can fill in up top if needed. Edouard played almost exclusively on the left in his first season.

The jury is out with regards to how he do with us.
What i would say is he is keen as mustard to do well with us and his enuthuasim is refreshing after grezda, pena an even morelos latterly.

Can play in a couple of positions, he'd be a decent addition to the squad if the price was right. Shame we never got to see abit more of him

Back