Four seasons of European football

Although it has been amazing, I think you have to concede that it hasn't been in the big boys' cup. The 1960 and 1993 teams did it in the top tournament, if only for that particular season. However the current consistency is welcome.

My first Euro game was Sparta in 1991. Except for maybe 5 seasons I’ve been scarred by Europe pre SG.

The last 4 seasons has been superb. Just be obtuse ill choose Maribor at home - the first full stadium ‘every Saturday we follow’?

That's one of my favourite double headers over the last few years. The Royal Antwerp fans still talk about Morelos and how he rag dolled them over the two legs.

One of the best individual performances I've ever seen from Alfie. He battered them about for fun. Absolutely primo Morelos in those two games. Kent was electric over in Belgium too.

The refs have generally been better than SPL refs but weve been on the end of some absolutely stinking decisions. Rapids goal at Ibrox was yards offside, Morelos goal v Spartak was yards onside and cost us the game, as clear a penalty and red card as youll ever see away to Young Boys not given when were 1-0 up then end up losing, im still not sure what Candeias 2nd yellow was for against Villarreal.

Since VAR.

All the big decisions you listed were prior to its introduction.

We'd have been eliminated by Dortmund without it. The ref missed someone punching the ball for our penalty, and the linesman flagged Alfie for offside when he wasn't even played in behind! Those two go against us and we don't win that tie.

Not just 4 years of European football, we've had 4 years of serious European progression.

I think, and have for a while, that the board actively target Europe progression over domestic competition. If they do then fair play because we're a Europa QF time easily right now and getting better.
To be honest I would rather this. I just can’t seem to get as psyched up for domestic football as I do at home. Don’t get me wrong 55 was incredible and showed we were finally back, and the cup win was a nice pick me up after the hangover of Seville. But otherwise it’s just hard to get interested. Obviously we need to win the league to guarantee the champions league but I’d happily take a few years of 2nd place if it meant we got to have more euro runs like this. And I’d sacrifice the cups any day, especially the diddy one.

2018-19 - 14 games
2019-20 - 18 games
2020-21 - 13 games
2021-22 - 19 games

An utterly remarkable period in terms of both the number of games and the quality of opposition.

Perhaps only 1959 - 1972 can better it.

My highlights - the game at home to Feyenoord was superb - rarely enjoyed a game so much - our movement, tactics and rotation were a joy to behold.

Other highlight - 4-3 defeat in Moscow v Spartak -
Willem 11…….everyone was expecting a tricky tie and we just absolutely blew them away, they never knew what hit them!

Last edited:
They don’t.

Their fat Greek roaster really needs to wisen up in Europe I think. They were getting picked off on the EL never mind against the best of the best.
They’ll be bottom of the group and out of Europe altogether with 2 games still go next season. I’d put money on it now B-D

Shift partner came past my area as I was going tonto and asked what was happening. I said "We're 3-0 up away at Dortmund" He's a Liverpool fan but was still pretty impressed at that.

Superb achievement when you see all those games in successive seasons, with a wee step up in class each time.

I'm biased because my wife is Portuguese but I have loved all of our clashes with their top teams. All well-balanced. True swings in dominance from moment to moment and practically every goal a cracker.

Superb achievement when you see all those games in successive seasons, with a wee step up in class each time.

I'm biased because my wife is Portuguese but I have loved all of our clashes with their top teams. All well-balanced. True swings in dominance from moment to moment and practically every goal a cracker.

Yeah, European football is absolutely class compared to our domestic game.

Probably in a minority, but I hope Hearts find a way to do well in the Conference league, and carry some of that back with them domestically. It will take a long time (like over a decade), but having potentially two extra clubs with a guaranteed 6 European games a season might finally be the route to improving the standard of football.

They don’t.

Their fat Greek roaster really needs to wisen up in Europe I think. They were getting picked off on the EL never mind against the best of the best.
He's already said he won't change how he plays. Whether that is just hubris talking remains to be seen, but if he's true to his word they are looking down the barrel of 6 hidings.

So many great games and fantastic nights. So much more enjoyable than the drudgery of domestic football.

Although it has been amazing, I think you have to concede that it hasn't been in the big boys' cup. The 1960 and 1993 teams did it in the top tournament, if only for that particular season. However the current consistency is welcome.
The financial gap between us and the top teams is so massive now that there is no comparison between now and those years. Even in 1993 our income wasn't all that far off the top teams, now they're on a completely different level. Iirc, Real Madrid had an income that was around double ours in the early 90's, now it's around 10 times as much. A club like Leipzig has a bigger financial advantage over us than any of the teams we faced in 1993.

I was speaking to my old man about this , we should now see ourselves as a club that should be at minimum a last 16 of the europa league absolute minimum with what we have achieved over the last few years.

Since VAR.

All the big decisions you listed were prior to its introduction.

We'd have been eliminated by Dortmund without it. The ref missed someone punching the ball for our penalty, and the linesman flagged Alfie for offside when he wasn't even played in behind! Those two go against us and we don't win that tie.

Although VAR robbed us of a double header win v Dortmund.

Kent's goal at home has no right to be chopped off

There are so many great moments each season getting more ridiculous in the level we reached every game.
It will get lost in the disappointment of the result but the feeling when Aribo scored in the final was unbelievable. It will only be bettered if we win another Euro trophy.

The Leipzig game was just incredible. I forced my Dad to go as he's 78 this year, and doesn't walk as well as he used to. He normally sits with his older brother, believe it or not, and both of them had decided to give midweek games up.

However, after a chat with my old man it was decided that I'd take him and upgrade my Uncle's ticket so we could sit together. We parked as close to the ground as we could and walked along Shieldhall Rd to the Louden. Not a massive distance, but enough for my Dad. Nowhere to sit in the Louden, but we were loving the pre-match buzz so stuck it out for a few rounds. Walk back to the ground for a seat and a rest before the madness!

As the place was rocking, it meant that everyone was standing, and the auld yin's legs are suffering going into the second half. At least, until big John rammed the ball home! So glad to have been able to share that moment with him, even though I dare say we might not have anything like it again together.

The walk back to the car was a stage too far, and we hobbled and limped as best we could. Made my night when he said it was worth the pain for the best night he's ever had at Ibrox, and he's been going for 65 years!

Talk about priceless.

That’s brilliant mate. If your old man fancies anymore games in future, feel free to give me a shout and you can have use of my Albion pass to save him the walk.

2018-19 - 14 games
2019-20 - 18 games
2020-21 - 13 games
2021-22 - 19 games

An utterly remarkable period in terms of both the number of games and the quality of opposition.

My highlights - the game at home to Feyenoord was superb - rarely enjoyed a game so much - our movement, tactics and rotation were a joy to behold.

Other highlight - 4-3 defeat in Moscow v Spartak - what a game!
In terms of consistency of performance against good/vgood opposition, the best 4 year period in the history of Rangers in European competition.

Playing 64 games total while having to play in the hammer throwers league at home makes it all the more remarkable, and the reason that comparing 59/72 is problematic.

We should be seeing ourselves as first and foremost, a European team. If we do that properly, domestic success will be a bi product,

2018-19 - 14 games
2019-20 - 18 games
2020-21 - 13 games
2021-22 - 19 games

Other highlight - 4-3 defeat in Moscow v Spartak - what a game!
Would normally have been :-
14 games
18 games
16 games
19 games.

Is that correct?
But for the 1 leg qualifiers.

Back