Frank De Boer

jprfc

Whats peoples thoughts on Frank de Boer? He was a popular choice among the fans before Pedro was appointed, or has his spell at Palace changed anyones opinion? I think he'd do a decent job given the chance, and i'd take him ahead of Mcleish, Mcinnes and the other names been mentioned as possible successors to Pedro.

He was my choice when Warburton left, he'd get more time here than Palace.

Heck, I'd take Koeman after Everton punt him.

The Dutch takeover worked once before, I wouldn't mind it again.

He and Koeman (!) available but imagine the sort of budget they'd want...we haven't got that set up.

We do need a proper manager but Shame FC pay shiny faced ladyboy pumper £2m a season...we simply don't have that. We need to be inventive, and do research.

Personally I'd get someone like Allerdyce in as caretaker - he doesn't need the money and is semi retired. Use rest of season to get appointment 100% right.

didnt de boer admit he made a mistake going to inter half way through a season ? i doubt he would come.

Guys like de Boer, Koeman, Puel, Bilic and Allardyce are all probably genuine options and light years above McInnes.

You've got Blanc and Tuschel in the higher unemployed echelons again, but likely out of range.

Not for me.

Read up about him a fair bit after MW left.

Likes to play a style of football that would get eaten alive in the SPFL without top players.

My suggestion ages ago was the *** UEFA coaching scheme but we're maybe too late after Klopp and Wagner...Football Focus had feature on how big clubs are now circling the scheme like vultures to poach the top graduates as managers or coaches.

Yes would take him no problem. Would he be given time to build his philosophy

There’s no chance he’d get more time from the fans. Our support consists of a huge chunk of people who have zero patience, their emotions lurch from one match to the next, with no overall, rational perspective of a situation.

De Boer would get 3 matches before being labelled as a dud by some zoomers on here.

Would be a big risk. Managed to lose the dressing room (or never get it in the first place) at both Inter and Palace and be sacked within 3 months. That's not what we need right now.

We need someone to come in and pull everyone together and get the best from this group of players. Don't think that is Frank de Boer going by his track record.

I would take him, but he wont have a big budget to work with.... although he may get the young ajax/dutch players over

My worry too...very inflexible and wedded to a style.
Indeed.

In all honesty Earl, after being initially in awe of some of the foreign coaches with their 'philosophies and transitions' I'm satrting to see through the bullshit a bit, predominantly with us of course but also with the likes of Klopp etc.

I never heard SAF or Walter speak about any of that, and they had some of the most dominating periods of success these isles have ever seen.

FdB = every single dutch dressing room implosion at a major tournament.

I loved the Advocaat years but the truth is we under-achieved and there was a clique of arrogant Dutchmen.

The Dutch takeover worked because we were splashing cash on world class players. No chance of that happening now so we need to be a tad more realistic.

Guys like de Boer, Koeman, Puel, Bilic and Allardyce are all probably genuine options and light years above McInnes.

You've got Blanc and Tuschel in the higher unemployed echelons again, but likely out of range.
These guys are all good football managers but from what i can see we dont play football in scotland the games are a battle and we need someone who understands it.

That Kevin Thompson quote when talking about Walter Smith keeps popping into my head.

“He used to say to us if I didn’t get booked before ten minutes he was taking me off!”

Indeed.

In all honesty Earl, after being initially in awe of some of the foreign coaches with their 'philosophies and transitions' I'm satrting to see through the bullshit a bit, predominantly with us of course but also with the likes of Klopp etc.

I never heard SAF or Walter speak about any of that, and they had some of the most dominating periods of success these isles have ever seen.

We need someone like Allerdyce frankly - uses stats, and sports data; never shies away from the 'British style game'; always recruits for league he is in not some dream scenario; not afraid of a challenge.

We need a 'hard man' who also knows his football...more technical than Smith, but far more pragmatic than Warburton, and less brittle than Advocaat.

There’s no chance he’d get more time from the fans. Our support consists of a huge chunk of people who have zero patience, their emotions lurch from one match to the next, with no overall, rational perspective of a situation.

De Boer would get 3 matches before being labelled as a dud by some zoomers on here.

McCoist got plenty of time because the press liked him and had heard of him.

Warburton and now Pedro had the contempt of the press and some fans before a ball was kicked because they are not big names.

Even Ronnie Deila got some bad press because nobody had heard of him.

No chance he would get the time, he is probably the sort of manager who could attract a better style of player just by name and that's what we need. but if he got beat at the piggery in his first game against them his head would be immediately called for.

These guys are all good football managers but from what i can see we dont play football in scotland the games are a battle and we need someone who understands it.

That Kevin Thompson quote when talking about Walter Smith keeps popping into my head.

“He used to say to us if I didn’t get booked before ten minutes he was taking me off!”

Know what you're saying, but a bright manager knows how to perform above that surely. If we just stick with someone who knows the Scottish game, we'll continue to be bummed out of Europe by Tractor FC every June. Yeah, run before you walk etc, but the next appointment needs to be a long term plan, not a stepping stone.

Someone with knowledge of both would likely be best. Maybe that's de Boer? Or maybe it's someone like Pardew or Allardyce? To be fair, I think Koeman and Bilic would also know to cope with battling cloggers.

Wanted him in the summer, but it would be a process similar to Pedro - he'd need a transfer window to get his own players in and a pre-season to implement his system - and it's a system not too dis-similar to what Warburton was trying to play, which didn't work.

F*ck knows, to be honest.

Know what you're saying, but a bright manager knows how to perform above that surely. If we just stick with someone who knows the Scottish game, we'll continue to be bummed out of Europe by Tractor FC every June. Yeah, run before you walk etc, but the next appointment needs to be a long term plan, not a stepping stone.

Someone with knowledge of both would likely be best. Maybe that's de Boer? Or maybe it's someone like Pardew or Allardyce? To be fair, I think Koeman and Bilic would also know to cope with battling cloggers.
Understand mate but look at that rabble across the city, spent real money getting the best available manager they could and get routinely horsed in Europe, not to mention Red Imps.

For the type of game he wants to play, we do not have the players of enough skill to be consisant week after week or the budget. The tims are streets ahead of us in this department of football.

We need someone like Walter Smith. (I'm not suggesting him) but after PLG the tims were so far ahead of us I thought it would take years to recover. But what he done was made us solid at the back, brought in a couple of hard men and made us very dangerous on the counter attack.

The tims hates that because we turned those games into a battle, where they couldn't play the football they wanted. We didn't try and compete with skill, because we couldn't match them at the time in that area, but we knew turning the game into a scrap then it would favour us for our fast counter attacking play.

Last edited:
For the type of game he wants to play, we do not have the players of enough skill to be consisant week after week or the budget. The tims are streets ahead of us in this department of football.

We need someone like Walter Smith. (I'm not suggesting him) but after PLG the tims were so far ahead of us I thought it would take years to recover. But what he done was make us solid at the back, brought in a couple of hard men and made us very dangerous on the counter attack.

The tims hates that because we turned those games into a battle, where they couldn't play the football they wanted. We didn't try and compete with skill, because we couldn't match them at the time in that area, but we knew turning the game into a scrap then it would favour us for our fast counter attacking play.

Thats true mate, our problem now though is everyone not just the tims, we go into every game wondering if we will win, Big Sam is the man to get some steel into this team and make us very hard to beat in the big games.

I have defended Pedro on here right up until yesterday but he has to go now.

If you want a Dutch manager we should go straight for Erik ten Hag before one of the big three in Holland get him

Whats peoples thoughts on Frank de Boer? He was a popular choice among the fans before Pedro was appointed, or has his spell at Palace changed anyones opinion? I think he'd do a decent job given the chance, and i'd take him ahead of Mcleish, Mcinnes and the other names been mentioned as possible successors to Pedro.
No thanks I want a British manager who understands the British game.

No more foreign coaches for me, we need someone who gets the British game and then in a couple of years once we get stable we can go in a different direction with a foreign coach.

No thanks I want a British manager who understands the British game.
Agree 100%.
The problem with de Boer is what other posters have said.He plays football in a certain way which will only work with a certain level of player and we don't have them.
Big Sam gets the best out of players and if a game comes down to a battle then my money would be on his team.

We need someone like Walter Smith. (I'm not suggesting him) but after PLG the tims were so far ahead of us I thought it would take years to recover. But what he done was made us solid at the back, brought in a couple of hard men and made us very dangerous on the counter attack.

That is why Big Sam is the man for the job

People are saying they worry the new players would down tools but in my opinion De Boer is one name they would all respect.

Based on what? Just because he played for us? The average modern footballer doesn't care who the manager played for, if they feel the manager isn't working for them they'll down tools.

Without doubt after every defeat to a "diddy" team the manager is a dud.

We need someone who understands how to build a team around a solid spine - GK, CH, CM, CF.

All the great Rangers teams had that but it’s been a while since we had a central midfielder who could run a game and dictate the play.

Goalie - Wes - good enough and young so shouldn’t peak for a couple of years.

Centre Half - Bruno - decent and hopefully keeping jersey warm for young Ross.

Centre Midfield - what does that look like ? I can’t remember.

Centre-forward - need a Hateley-type to play with Moreles.

Seems inflexible tactically, not sure many of our players would be up to his demands.

But at least he could communicate with the Hispanic element of our squad.

No thanks. Palace knew they had made a massive mistake and were looking to replace him after his second game.

PS Can someone please explain to me what's to understand about the British game? What's this strange, esoteric knowledge that foreign managers aren't privy to? Are the rules of the game different? Do the same laws of physics not apply? If this is such a big deal, how are foreign coaches routinely beating Scottish clubs in Europe every year?

Do we think big Sam would take the job? It's through gritted teeth I'm having to say I think Pedro should be shown the door. Yesterday was just a horrible day for the club and big Allardyce would definitely shake the dressing room up.

Unsure on Frank de Boer. It’s all been downhill since his Ajax side lost the league on the last day of the season.

Not saying he is a bad manager, just unsure if his philosophy and approach is what we need right now?

Back to basics, build from the back, become hard to beat, be able to fight, battle and grind out results when it’s not going our way.

If given the choice; a de Boer or Allardyce type manager, it’s the Allardyce type for me every day of the week.

The same Frank De Boer that wanted time to change the ethos of Crystal Palace into a more "total football" side?

You think he'd be given time at Rangers?

Based on what? Just because he played for us? The average modern footballer doesn't care who the manager played for, if they feel the manager isn't working for them they'll down tools.

No mate, not because he played for us. Because of who he is!! Derek McInnes played for us but there’s a massive difference between him and Frank De Boer. I don’t imagine the likes of Bruno Alves would’ve even heard of Derek McInnes before coming here.

No mate, not because he played for us. Because of who he is!! Derek McInnes played for us but there’s a massive difference between him and Frank De Boer. I don’t imagine the likes of Bruno Alves would’ve even heard of Derek McInnes before coming here.

I'm sure the Crystal Palace players have heard of him and they didn't care who he was. If you've got a manager who keeps trying stuff that doesn't suit the players and he won't change his play style, it's going to end badly.

I think it's time we went back to basics. A manger who understands the landscape of Scottish/British football but, more importantly, the demands of being Rangers boss. With this in mind, I think a British man is what we need rather than a FDB type who has a fixed style of play or a desire to implement over a period of time. The next appointment has to hit the ground running, but have the ability to improve us over time too.

We need a bluenose version of Brenda!

I'm sure the Crystal Palace players have heard of him and they didn't care who he was. If you've got a manager who keeps trying stuff that doesn't suit the players and he won't change his play style, it's going to end badly.

I’m not saying De Boer would be a success, only that he would get respect and maybe just maybe the new players wouldn’t “down tools”, as has been mentioned on many threads today. I honestly don’t know what the answer is and that’s the sad truth, all I know is I’m hurting today.

Back