Frank DeBoer

Rangersnumberfour

Official Ticketer
Doing terribly with Atalanta. Champions last year and now one of the bottom teams.

Was his spell at Ajax a lucky spell, as he has struggled everywhere since.

Still think Palace properly shafted him by bringing him in to take over a Sam Allardyce team then canning him when it wasn’t happening after 7 games or so.

Agree he probably needs to go back to Dutch football and start from scratch.

His philosophy fit Ajax perfectly. Inter and Palace didn't have the players for how he wanted to play which is partly his fault for accepting those jobs and partly him not being able to coach those players properly for the way he wants them to play. No idea about Atlanta but maybe it's the same

Said when we were linked with him that he has a terrible record and I wouldn't have wanted him, I still think the same. Good spell with Ajax, terrible everywhere else

Atlanta lost Miguel Almiron who was a big player for them.

MLS is quite competitive with not much between a lot of sides and Atlanta have been playing well but not getting the results - though their defence hasn't looked great.

If he gets time he might still turn it round.

Would loved to have seen Frank as manager after Pedro but he has definitely struggled as a manager since Ajax. He should maybe do something like what Unai Emery did and head back to his homeland to build his profile back up again.

Atlanta lost Miguel Almiron who was a big player for them.

MLS is quite competitive with not much between a lot of sides and Atlanta have been playing well but not getting the results - though their defence hasn't looked great.

If he gets time he might still turn it round.

I watched 20 mins of their match last night & they played a lot of good football to be fair. We’re caught by a sucker punch. Decent standard actually.

Most managers need one of three ingredients for success in my opinion;

Money
Time

or Character.

Fortunately our current manager has the third attribute in spades because our club/fanbase doesn’t afford much of the former(s)

FdB has never inspired me to deliver as much.

Last edited:
There’s just some foreign managers who don’t seem to fill you with confidence.

I always prefer a Scottish/British manager over Europeans.

Much as I love the de Boer brothers a class act on and off the field however Frank in particular seems to have the personality of a damp squid and it doesn’t seem to me he’s ever going to be a top manager anywhere now . Ajax was a fit for him with a structure he’s grown up with .

There were plenty that wanted him at Ibrox. Thankfully, that never happened. He had a young Ajax team that had been coached to play a particular way since they were kids. Go to another footballing environment and it's like a different game. Getting ideas across to players from other countries isn't always easy, as this proves.

Last edited:
Was just looking at the MLS table.

For some reason they have three games in hand on the top two teams.

So if they win all three they actually go joint top.

I was doing him a disservice by making out his was doing poor with Atlanta

Would he have done a worse job than those that have occupied the office when he was linked to us? Would take some doing.

Palace he was on a hiding to nothing. Club want to go from Big Sam football to sexy football instantly and give the man they deemed the right man what was it six games?

Palace was a bad move. Square pegs in round holes and all that. For FdB to have worked his magic there they would need to have scrapped most of the squad and built an entirely new one. Takes time and money. You might get the money in the EPL but no guarantee of getting the time - even more so if you blow buckets of cash in the process.

Much as I love the de Boer brothers a class act on and off the field however Frank in particular seems to have the personality of a damp squid and it doesn’t seem to me he’s ever going to be a top manager anywhere now . Ajax was a fit for him with a structure he’s grown up with .

Ronald is obviously the brother with the personality, I'm still laughing at his McCoist anecdote :))

Good manager, win another league title and his career is back on track after two unsuccessful spells at Inter and Crystal Palace where he was barely given a chance. Not the first to fail at Inter and won't be the last.

Good manager, win another league title and his career is back on track after two unsuccessful spells at Inter and Crystal Palace where he was barely given a chance. Not the first to fail at Inter and won't be the last.

I remember watching his last game at palace and they where extremely unlucky not to get a good result.

Back