Frank Lampard ‘to be named new Chelsea boss with Sarri on brink of sack’

Craigie

So says The Sun:

FRANK LAMPARD is set to take over as Chelsea's new manager, according to reports in Italy.
The Blues are expected to sack Maurizio Sarri this summer - even if he guides the club to Europa League glory with a win over Arsenal.

According to Sport Media Set, Lampard, 40, will return to manage his former club after his impressive spell with Derby.
Sarri, 60, has guided the club into the top four and led them to both the Carabao Cup and Europa League finals this season.
But Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is expected to get rid of him because he has a poor rapport with the fans.
Lampard would be welcomed back with open arms by the Stamford Bridge faithful after he spent 13 glorious years with them as a player.
He made 648 appearances for the Blues and is still the club's all-time leading scorer with 211 goals.
Since his retirement from playing, he has proved his credentials as a manager after an impressive season with Derby County.
Lampard has guided the Rams to the Championship play-offs after 20 wins and 14 draws in 46 games.
The ex-England midfielder claimed earlier this week that Chelsea need to put their trust in youngsters amid claims Eden Hazard is set to leave.
Which would be good news for the likes of Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Callum Hudson-Odoi, should Lampard get the gig.
Lamps said: "Of course it will be disappointing to lose him [Hazard] for the Premier League, but particularly Chelsea.

"You don't replace Eden Hazard, you have to find ways around it whether it b e some of the younger players or the team.
"That's if you are going to lose him, we don't know that for sure yet but it seems it might happen."
Sarri has already been tipped to replace Massimiliano Allegri as the manager of Juventus next season.

So says The Sun:

FRANK LAMPARD is set to take over as Chelsea's new manager, according to reports in Italy.
The Blues are expected to sack Maurizio Sarri this summer - even if he guides the club to Europa League glory with a win over Arsenal.

According to Sport Media Set, Lampard, 40, will return to manage his former club after his impressive spell with Derby.
Sarri, 60, has guided the club into the top four and led them to both the Carabao Cup and Europa League finals this season.
But Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is expected to get rid of him because he has a poor rapport with the fans.
Lampard would be welcomed back with open arms by the Stamford Bridge faithful after he spent 13 glorious years with them as a player.
He made 648 appearances for the Blues and is still the club's all-time leading scorer with 211 goals.
Since his retirement from playing, he has proved his credentials as a manager after an impressive season with Derby County.
Lampard has guided the Rams to the Championship play-offs after 20 wins and 14 draws in 46 games.
The ex-England midfielder claimed earlier this week that Chelsea need to put their trust in youngsters amid claims Eden Hazard is set to leave.
Which would be good news for the likes of Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Callum Hudson-Odoi, should Lampard get the gig.
Lamps said: "Of course it will be disappointing to lose him [Hazard] for the Premier League, but particularly Chelsea.

"You don't replace Eden Hazard, you have to find ways around it whether it b e some of the younger players or the team.
"That's if you are going to lose him, we don't know that for sure yet but it seems it might happen."
Sarri has already been tipped to replace Massimiliano Allegri as the manager of Juventus next season.

Odd timing with that Europa League final just around the corner.

Chelsea job is probably one of the hardest in world football right now given the transfer embargo. Great job but wrong time for Lampard.

Transfer embargo and Hazard leaving not a great time to be taking over there imo but good luck to Lampard.

While I'd love to see Lampard as Chelsea boss in the future it would be ridiculous to do it now.

Sarri hasn't done a bad job. It's incredibly difficult to go from extremely defensive football to the style he plays in the space of a year, especially while only signing 2 players last summer. He's pretty much succeeded for what his task was this season and will likely win the EL as well so if he gets sacked it would be ridiculous, but it's what I expect with Chelsea really.

One decent season doesn’t seem like enough experience to manage at a club like Chelsea in the epl. If he does become their manager and was successful I wonder if it would speed up Gerrard to manage Liverpool or if he flopped it could have the opposite effect? Not that I see Klopp moving on soon anyway.

How “impressive” has his season been with Derby?

I ask that as a genuine question. I only have a passing interest in the Championship so don’t know much about comparative budgets/expectations. How much above par is Derby making the playoffs?

I had fancied Lampard for RFC as far back as the Murty reign, and posted as much with Gerrard as a slight second favourite.

Just sayin' :D

I ask that as a genuine question. I only have a passing interest in the Championship so don’t know much about comparative budgets/expectations. How much above par is Derby making the playoffs?

Worse away record of top half sides but the are still in with a shout of promotion so he has done OK.

Sat next to Robert Huth on a flight back from Berlin a couple months ago and he mentioned it to me then.

Football fwend
Have you mentioned sitting next to huth before in another thread,I recall a poster saying about it before.
If so you are milking that a bit :) :)

I don't think lampard is ready for that job yet,although I do recall saying that to the poster who first suggested Gerrard before we actually went for him.

They're banned from signing anybody, Hazard on his way out, bring in a club legend to keep the fans happy while they dont compete. Makes sense.

Chelsea job is probably one of the hardest in world football right now given the transfer embargo. Great job but wrong time for Lampard.
Chelsea are like a volcano. It never seems too far from going off.

Lampard could potentially the one to settle it down but it’s a huge step up and as you say, the potential transfer ban, it’s a tough ask.

I'm sure they just missed out on the play offs before he took over, so you'd have to say hes improved them. I can't see them making the play off final though.

It would be a sensible appointment, expectation levels will surely drop, Lampard would need to decide which players on loan he could recall to try and freshen up the squad. He would be afforded at least 2 seasons to make his mark.

Sarri has done a good job this season. The modern football fan is mental.

Lampard has done nothing out of the ordinary at Derby they pretty much finish in our around the playoffs every season.

It would be a sensible appointment, expectation levels will surely drop, Lampard would need to decide which players on loan he could recall to try and freshen up the squad. He would be afforded at least 2 seasons to make his mark.
Absolutely no chance will expectations drop and nor should they. The fans pay top dollar and expect the best. It's up to the club to deliver and not take the cheap option.

What Lampard is going to do to stop the Man City and Liverpool domination I am not sure. Seems strange when his performance in management has been decent and no more

I always thought this would be a good appointment but only if Abramovich had sold up.

If Chelsea were willing to drop expectation levels and accept that there may be a few trophyless seasons but allow Lampard to bring through some of the talented youngsters and bring some stability to the club.

With Abramovich though he will still be expecting trophies and will continue to be trigger happy.

Sarri has done a good job this season. The modern football fan is mental.

Lampard has done nothing out of the ordinary at Derby they pretty much finish in our around the playoffs every season.

Have you seen much of Chelsea it’s beyond horrific to watch

Absolutely no chance will expectations drop and nor should they. The fans pay top dollar and expect the best. It's up to the club to deliver and not take the cheap option.

How can they deliver? They are banned from signing players? The squad just now is nowhere near good enough to win the title, they are losing their best player and can’t replace him, it’s virtually impossible for them to deliver the title.

Only the most ardent or thickest of Chelsea fans would have high expectations.

Have you mentioned sitting next to huth before in another thread,I recall a poster saying about it before.
If so you are milking that a bit :) :)

I don't think lampard is ready for that job yet,although I do recall saying that to the poster who first suggested Gerrard before we actually went for him.

Haha, aye a few months ago when it happened mate. It’s hardly info to “milk” when passing it on in an unrelated thread about awkward celebrity meetings! :D

My wee opportunity to be ‘in the know’ for the first time in my FF career. :)

On a flight back from Berlin a couple of weeks ago, I seen big Robert Huth was on the same flight as me.

low and behold, I board the plane and get to my seat next to the big man and his son!!

Proceeded to chat all things football for the next two hours of the flight.

Things turned a bit surreal when he ordered a couple of G&T’s and we ended up playing the Lego batman game with his wee boy on his iPad and saying in turns “I’m Batman” “no, I’m batman”

He said Jose was the best gaffer he’d played under. Said he was surprised Rogers had accepted the Leicester job as he was told Leicester were prepared to wait until the end of the season. Also he’s been told “Lamps” will get the Chelsea job for next season. He got fed up with football and is taking flying lessons now...as you do.

You heard it here first.

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/...ad-with-a-celebrity.72611/page-8#post-3482504

While I'd love to see Lampard as Chelsea boss in the future it would be ridiculous to do it now.

Sarri hasn't done a bad job. It's incredibly difficult to go from extremely defensive football to the style he plays in the space of a year, especially while only signing 2 players last summer. He's pretty much succeeded for what his task was this season and will likely win the EL as well so if he gets sacked it would be ridiculous, but it's what I expect with Chelsea really.
Maybe the thinking is that Sarri's transition of style will be impossible to complete with the transfer ban. Especially considering the fact that they've hugely relied on Hazard magic to make his system work.

It’s a massive gamble
For Frank, knowing Romans history with managers. He’s still inexperienced, it’s his club and the fans adore him but that won’t stop the Russian throwing his toys out the pram if he’s not performing right away!
I think it’s a bit too early personally

I really hope they dont appoint Lampard just to keep the fans happy with the transfer ban looming. Would be ashame to ruin a young managers career to save the face of board members and owners.

I think Abramovich is losing interest in Chelsea. Any other season Sarri would have been sacked months ago the appointment and style of play hasn't worked out.

Big risk he should get it on merit not just for who he is same with Stevie G if Liverpool come calling

Chelsea really are a basket case of a club. Sarri is a bit of an oddball but has done well this season. They might be the only club in the world to bag two managers who have won them different European Trophies.

This is from last year but has Derby at 10th highest in revenue so 6th would be an overachievement. I know they've made the playoffs at lot recently, without success, but I think they went into a fair bit of debt to try and go up. Now their spending is more limited as a result:

Back