Frank Lampard sacked (confirmed)

Lampard was brought in as a shield for the fans for what they expected to be a difficult season with the transfer ban, as it turned out he overachieved last season, and then he has lots of expensive signings he’s supposed to integrate into a young team? I think Abramovich always had a thought to bring in a high profile manager once they could spend money again.

I hope Stevie G has taken note.
That said Stevie has a policy to bed players in, or at least get them up to full fitness before unleashing them. Defoe, Davis, Roofe, Itten, all quality players and all had to wait their time, Zungu too. It seems to be very effective. Balogun is possibly the exception, but that was injuries to others forcing his hand.

Right job, wrong time.

Curious to see if he has another crack elsewhere or ends up in studio instead.

Lampard was brought in as a shield for the fans for what they expected to be a difficult season with the transfer ban, as it turned out he overachieved last season, and then he has lots of expensive signings he’s supposed to integrate into a young team? I think Abramovich always had a thought to bring in a high profile manager once they could spend money again.
Is there any high profile managers left that havent been at Chelsea.
To me Chelsea are a busted flush, the purple patch is long gone.

After what happened with Rangers a year ago and the people, especially who posted on here. All I can say, is thank f**k our board doesnt behave like Chelsea's or as an earlier poster wrote, man utd as another example of patience.

Chelsea also have a problem, in that their players hold all the power. When things aren't going their way, they know they can down tools & a new manager will be along in a minute. It's really not a good thing to have, & a bit of a cancer in the dressing room. If they can do it to Lampard, then no-one really has much hope.

They've only challenged for the title once on the last 5 years (the season they won it), & apparently haven't won a knockout champions league game since they made the semi's in 2014. That's quite damning, & suggests their hire / fire policy isnt working as well as it had been previously.

If anyone other than Frank Lampard spent the money he has and had Chelsea where they are, not a peep would be said if they got binned. Also with the talk of the players losing faith in him there really wasn't a choice but to get rid.

Lampard improved Derby by 1 point. Bang average manager

Derby before Lampard
6Derby County462014126954+1574

Derby with Lampard
6Derby County462015117048+2275

Topped their Champions League Group, still in the FA Cup, but had a poor run of league games after an excellent start.

Unless there was something very, very wrong that couldn't be fixed between internal relationships, then it looks like a poor decision. Building a squad that can challenge, as we have seen, is not a one year job.
The way the EPL is this year, if Chelsea win 2 or 3 games on the bounce they'll be talked about as title contenders. Last 8 in the Champions league would be a decent run and the fa cup is winnable.

Reactions: SGL
Quick Q - no agenda behind it, I'm just curious. How much did Lampard get to spend for this season, and how does that compare to the other usual suspect re the title?

We know what their owner is like. I guess if he had given Lampard serious financial backing - at least on a par with the others - and he hasn't delivered... then there was only going to be one outcome.

Personally I think he should have stayed at Derby for 2 or 3 years and cut his teeth there. But hindsight is wonderful and he might not have got the chance again if he hadn't jumped at the time.

If anyone other than Frank Lampard spent the money he has and had Chelsea where they are, not a peep would be said if they got binned. Also with the talk of the players losing faith in him there really wasn't a choice but to get rid.

Lampard improved Derby by 1 point. Bang average manager

Derby before Lampard
6Derby County462014126954+1574

Derby with Lampard
6Derby County462015117048+2275

The manager at Chelsea doesn't really pick the players to sign though. That's where he has my sympathies. Apparently his priorities were to strengthen the defensive side with Chilwell, Rice, Tarkowski & help add some steel in the pitch & in the dressing room. He got 1 of those.

Its downhill now for Frank. Nice guy but football wise Chelsea was too big a gig. Just can't picture him in that horrible black sick trackie.

The manager at Chelsea doesn't really pick the players to sign though. That's where he has my sympathies. Apparently his priorities were to strengthen the defensive side with Chilwell, Rice, Tarkowski & help add some steel in the pitch & in the dressing room. He got 1 of those.
If I was the Chelsea owner and the manager came to me with those three as signing targets I'd probably have sacked him on the spot.

Roman Abramovich has given a rare quote basically saying he has huge respect for Lampard but feels a change of manager is required. I dare say the only reason we are hearing from roman is down to the fact it is Lampard.

It's one thing managing a team of jobbers & effectively over achieving to managing a team full of big money stars (and egos) with a task of challenging for the league.

Miles out of his depth at this stage in his managerial career.

I hope Stevie G has taken note.
That said Stevie has a policy to bed players in, or at least get them up to full fitness before unleashing them. Defoe, Davis, Roofe, Itten, all quality players and all had to wait their time, Zungu too. It seems to be very effective. Balogun is possibly the exception, but that was injuries to others forcing his hand.
Taken note of what?

Job was too soon for Lamport but I don't think he'll be a great manager anyway. The whole Biesla stuff at Derby and Liverpool stuff last season showed him as easily rattled and it doesn't look like he can organise a defence.

I'll go against some of the comments on here, Tuchel is a good coach and tactician. He'll do better with the same set of players. However, he's been known to have a fractious relationship with owners before so even with any success, it will eventually only end one way at Chelsea.

Lampard to the dhims?

Well I guess if he’s desperate / dillusional / on drugs / discovers an oirish long lost / sees grifter and broonaldo as CL heroes / can afford quadruple glazing / has a safe house in dubai & fancies Coatbridge over Kensington ...

... yes we should probably be worried.

Quick Q - no agenda behind it, I'm just curious. How much did Lampard get to spend for this season, and how does that compare to the other usual suspect re the title?

We know what their owner is like. I guess if he had given Lampard serious financial backing - at least on a par with the others - and he hasn't delivered... then there was only going to be one outcome.

Personally I think he should have stayed at Derby for 2 or 3 years and cut his teeth there. But hindsight is wonderful and he might not have got the chance again if he hadn't jumped at the time.
Not sure about incoming, but he spent £200m this season, half of that on Chilwell and Havertz.

If I was the Chelsea owner and the manager came to me with those three as signing targets I'd probably have sacked him on the spot.

To be fair, if you have big worries about the dressing room you can see why he wanted some local lads to help change the culture a bit, & add a bit of steel to the spine that everyone thinks is lacking. Guys like Gary Cahill, far from spectacular, were great servants for Chelsea, & Frank would have recognised that.

Im not sure signing guys like Havertz, Ziyech & Werner really helps with that regard.

It was always destined to end in tears but I thought he would have got to see out the season.

Not sure about Tuchel as his replacement though.

There were a lot of comparisons of him and Gerrard when they both got the gigs. It would have been so easy for us to write SG off as a failed experiment after last season.

Fortunately our decision to persvere is not showing dividends and I'm confident of more to come.

Incredible how bad this lad has been.
I thought Chelsea had one a watch when he joined them.

Yep, his record seemed to suggest he’d do well.

Having said that, at the Euros he was woeful for Germany, and he seems to have recaptured that “form” at Chelsea.

Topped their Champions League Group, still in the FA Cup, but had a poor run of league games after an excellent start.

Unless there was something very, very wrong that couldn't be fixed between internal relationships, then it looks like a poor decision. Building a squad that can challenge, as we have seen, is not a one year job.
Only five points off 4th place, usual Chelsea merry go round,

Bookies have made him second fav for the tramp job dontthink he would take but really wouldn't care if he did as stevie g miles better anyway

Wonder what will happen to Billy Gilmour now, Lampard seemed to rate the lad

If Gilmour doesn't fit into the next managers plans perhaps we could try and get him back on loan?

Tuchel is the favorite for the Chelsea job, but there is a chance Benitez could be in for it, if Gerrard still has a good relationship with Benitez maybe he could persuade him to loan Gilmour.

The transfer ban and a Chelsea legend doing well coinciding is the only reason Lampard got the job in the first place. Its harsh but its the right choice in the long run for Chelsea

If Gilmour doesn't fit into the next managers plans perhaps we could try and get him back on loan?

Tuchel is the favorite for the Chelsea job, but there is a chance Benitez could be in for it, if Gerrard still has a good relationship with Benitez maybe he could persuade him to loan Gilmour.
I’d rather we developed Dickson, Kelly and Ofoborh.

Back