Frank Lampard

Rangers NEED to show a real statement of intent with the next managerial appointment..
Lampard doesn't fit that description.

Lampard is a very smart guy, especially compared to other people in football, however has no experience.

This is something I think he knows and would have identified himself, and would work his way up learning his trade. I know he put himself forward for Oxford United, this level would be the correct move for him.

Maybe in a couple of years once he has more experience and a more solid base and track record behind him, but now would be insanity, he is no where near ready for such a club, and I think he himself would also feel that way, hence the level he is currently aiming for.

Seriously? We should be going for a top quality manager. A proven winner. No more projects.

FDB, GVB, WS.

I even think we should start to flex our muscles on this and try and pry a premiership manager away.

FDB: Even if he wanted to, he can't. The operational level of our football club is a shambles, and represents too much of a gamble FOR HIM. One false step and he is finished as a football manager. Why in God's name would he attach himself to our current omnishambles.

GVB: Managing his boyhood team to great success. Won the cup and Eriedivisie and Cup already. Maybe though, he fancies pishing on a strong CV though.

WS: Just gies peace.

Lampard is a very smart guy, especially compared to other people in football, however has no experience.

This is something I think he knows and would have identified himself, and would work his way up learning his trade. I know he put himself forward for Oxford United, this level would be the correct move for him.

Maybe in a couple of years once he has more experience and a more solid base and track record behind him, but now would be insanity, he is no where near ready for such a club, and I think he himself would also feel that way, hence the level he is currently aiming for.

If he was successful at any level he would be instantly out of our range. He would be fast tracked up.

I just think the club needs a lift, a higher profile and think of the young lads going to training with Frank there.

Him, with his uncle harry helping him wouldn't be the worse choice

To save typing again, I've pasted some of the points I;ve made on previous threads regarding this:

"Winner.

And you telling me a man with his experience, record of winning trophies and working with the best players in the world wouldn’t command the respect of the players, and sadly just as importantly, sadly, the media? A player of his stature and intelligence, with a experienced but out of work manager behind him?

And..... the absolute dearth of alternatives.

Souness II."

===========================================

"Mate..... every single suggestion is a gamble.

The question was..... where do we think we are? At the moment we have been patched by McInnes and are talking about Alex Neil being a front runner.

Lampard would be a phenomenal appointment."

===========================================

Seriously who do people really thing we are going to get?

Get a experienced number two in and its not so crazy.

would you rather have a guy with 106 England Caps, a champions league medal, played under all the top managers or a right back who played for Reading
Ok, you've convinced me.

Not Lampard though, but David Beckham. The above describes him perfectly, except he won 9 more caps and played under Sir Alex and Ancelotti.

Firstly absolutely no to Frank Lampard.

Secondly absolutely fucking no to Harry Redknapp, I hate that cunt.

I have been saying Lampard for months.

We gamble or we get a middle of the road journeyman.

That's our reality.

Every appointment is a gamble to a greater or lesser degree. PLG was one of the most sought after managers in Europe when he came to us, and look how that worked out! Someone like Lanpard with a hige knowledge of the game, contacts to match, and possibly a massive drive to succeed may well be less of a gamble than some of the other names mentioned!

Souness was a one-off, though – and backed by a transfer kitty that our next manager could only dream of.

And seriously aided by an English ban from europe which meant that all the top players who wanted european football had to come north or head abroad.

Being good at football is no qualification for being good at management. Completely different skill set.

John Barnes at the scum should be all the evidence we need that being a great player does not necessarily make you a good manager. At Rangers look no further than John Greig.

would you rather have a guy with 106 England Caps, a champions league medal, played under all the top managers or a right back who played for Reading

Well, to start with could we not try and get somebody that's actually a manager?

Christ on a bike.

I'd rather have him anchoring the midfield at 39 than thrown in as a manager.

Early to be on the glue on a Friday.....

FDB: Even if he wanted to, he can't. The operational level of our football club is a shambles, and represents too much of a gamble FOR HIM. One false step and he is finished as a football manager. Why in God's name would he attach himself to our current omnishambles.

GVB: Managing his boyhood team to great success. Won the cup and Eriedivisie and Cup already. Maybe though, he fancies pishing on a strong CV though.

WS: Just gies peace.
I agree on Walter. He is a proven winner but.

I would rather have a guy who has managed a team before. What qualifies lampard to be our manager other than hes a top geezer and was good at football?

Is there a universally accepted and realistic candidate for the job?

Everyone seems capable of dismissing suggestions, but are unable to offer viable alternatives.

It seems no matter who takes us forward, there will always be some criticism of the appointment.

So I’d say no suggestion is too out there. An experienced manager does not necessarily equate less of a risk or more guarantee of success.

I do think we need a manager who is in touch with modern day footballers. That means we may need to look at less traditional suggestions.

Looks like some of us don't want to learn from the hard lessons we have had re manager recruitment over the last few years.

This OP cannot be serious? We've gambled on three managers, we have to take as small a risk as we possibly can on this next appointment.

Pedro, Murty or Lampard? Out those 3 Frank wins but we can't really risk it though every appointment is going to be a risk.

New guy is going to inherit a lot of dross and also will have to deal with the usual nonsense from the press and the obsessed. They need to be able to handle it.

Souness was a gamble that paid off. But that did coincide with

1. A lot of money coming in
2. Some already great young talent coming through like Durrant and Ferguson
3. A ban on English teams competing in Europe
4. Walter Smith coming in as no 2

None of the above will apply this time.

Souness was a gamble that paid off. But that did coincide with

1. A lot of money coming in
2. Some already great young talent coming through like Durrant and Ferguson
3. A ban on English teams competing in Europe
4. Walter Smith coming in as no 2

None of the above will apply this time.
Is anyone expecting the next manager to ever take us to the last 8 in Europe or manage to sign anyone close to getting into the England squad?

Take the idea of giving Lampard the job.
Multiply it by the number of grains of sand on the dunes of Gullane and you still wouldn't be close to how insane that sounds.

With some of the names currently being linked, this wouldn’t be all that bad.

Every manager is a gamble, I would make exceptions for inexperience if they have a stature in the game like Sounness, Lampard, Viera, De Boers, Laudrups, etc.

Last edited:
Back