Frankfurt Morelos

With the superb performance of Morelos on Thursday night, they can add on another £5mil on to the starting price of £13mil.

I know he scored three goals against the fourth best team in Gibraltar in the week *rolls eyes* but did anyone notice how much better we played when he came off? A bit like when he wasn’t in the team at the end of last season.

Add his discipline issues to him being slightly at odds with our best style of play... time for the buffalo to roam.
He was on for an hour, scored three and teed up Hastie for a sitter that he missed.

When he roams, pray tell who you think we should replace him with?

He's a one off though, we struck gold, it doesn't happen very often.

That said we must have a contingency plan as we've known for a long time clubs might come in for him.

Exactly. We have to trust in the model, not fear that we’re buggered if we lose our top players.

I strongly suspect we’ll be surprised at how well we adapt.

The club are prepared for him being sold and have plans in place should he leave. They aren’t actively wanting or looking to sell him but every player has their price.

I’d be stunned if it’s for anything less than £15m. Personally I’d be disappointed in that and would want a minimum of £18m

He will succeed wherever he goes, i have no doubt. We shouldnt sell for less than £20m and a 10℅ sell on will get us another £5m in a seasons time.

So you don’t think that for £15-20m Rangers could use a hefty chunk of that to bring in a very effective striker for the system we play?

People screamed that we were nothing without Morelos last season until a 36 year-old Jermaine Defoe came in and showed that actually he wasn’t quite as irreplaceable as we may have first believed.

This is what we pay Mark Allen for - we have to believe our model of buy cheap sell high will generate an exponential quality of footballer over time.

If we're offered that amount it won't matter what I think!

I do think there's far too much emphasis on the last few games of lasr season from some though, they were pretty much dead rubbers for all the teams involved.

He will succeed wherever he goes, i have no doubt. We shouldnt sell for less than £20m and a 10℅ sell on will get us another £5m in a seasons time.
You seem to be suggesting we sell a player for £20m that will be sold in 12 months time for £50m. Are you Martin Bain?

Don’t want him to leave, his goals are crucial in winning the league.

If he did end up going, I hope to %^*& we’ve learned our lesson with sell on clauses. 20m + 30% sell on could be lucrative. The jovic deal being case and point.

If we're offered that amount it won't matter what I think!

I do think there's far too much emphasis on the last few games of lasr season from some though, they were pretty much dead rubbers for all the teams involved.

Hardly. Aberdeen still had a chance of pipping us for second place; Hibs, Hearts and Kilmarnock were all battling for a European spot and games against the Yahoos are never dead rubbers.

It’s a fallacy that they were meaningless games no one cared about.

You seem to be suggesting we sell a player for £20m that will be sold in 12 months time for £50m. Are you Martin Bain?

Thats what he will go for once he performs in a bigger league. See the offers Lyon are rumoured to be getting for Dembele. Maybe im Peter Lawell.

Not for me, I don't want him to leave, at all, for me he's the best all round striker, at his age, I've seen at Rangers.

By the way play Morelos with the same support as we've given Defoe and he'll score even more, a far more skillful and clever player than he's credited for.

I’m not questioning his ability at all but his movement and all round play are entirely geared around being a solo battering ram. Gerrard wants three interchanging forwards moving intelligently with each other. Be honest, Alfie goes where Alfie wants.

Every striker's agent in Europe will be on the phone to Eintracht Frankfurt, and every journalist has a very easy believable story with a transfer rumour.

Isn't any sell on % based on the profit over and above the original tranfer fee? Therefore Alfie would have to go for 70m in a year's time to generate an additional 5m from a 10% sell on.
Not sure that's likely.

To kinda put things in perspective,Leipzig shelled out £13m for Burke from Forest after a whopping 25 league games and 6 goals. Then WBA topped that with £15m to bring him back to the uk after 25 bundesliga games and 1 goal.

He p

I think he’d prefer the EPL or La Liga.
He doesnt qualify for a WP down south.

If he goes, it wont be to England.

Which works in our favour as mainland European clubs will be less likely to throw silly money about and thus wont meet our valuation.

He's staying. Get used to it, Scotland.

I think the Tierney transfer will lay a benchmark for any future big money transfers from Scotland. Previously, a £20m+ fee would have been considered pie in the sky stuff for us and the mentally challengeds but, should he go for a figure in that region, the Tierney transfer will set a new standard for what we can expect for our prized assets.

If a relatively decent and young LB goes for that kind of cash, we should be expecting AT LEAST the same level for a young Colombian international who has scored 50+ goals in 2 seasons.

Which works in our favour as mainland European clubs will be less likely to throw silly money about and thus wont meet our valuation.

Why wouldn't he, surely its a UK work permit he has?

He p

I think he’d prefer the EPL or La Liga.
If Frankfurt offer what we value him at, he can look at Jovic and Haller and realise one good year in germany will get him that move.

For what it’s worth, I think he’ll be here for the season and away next summer

I want at the very least £18m and a 15/20% sell on clause. The sell on clause is an absolute must!

He is a special player - will only get better! He will also become a regular in the Colombian National team.

I will be gutted when he leaves - but we have shown we can contribute goals from all over. I actually think Tav would be a bigger loss than Morelos.

As long as it’s a good acceptable deal for us then I don’t care a jot where he goes

If it’s Frankfurt & Germany then good luck to him

I only hope IF it’s going to happen then it happens soon so we can move on & so we can organise a replacement

As for price, I trust this board to do right for the future and not sell him cheap

I’m not in the keep him camp either, I believe his temperament means he’s been targeted here & I worry that will never shift

Therefore, a big offer & a replacement already lined up then I would be in the sell camp

It’s the best business for the club

Again only imho
This is a pragmatic approach, however he was not one bit of bother on Thursday. Another season at Ibrox, stay on the pitch, score plenty of goals domestically and in Europe, then his value can only go up. He is an asset who's value is on the up. Win the league then he has the option to play in the Champions league. Many of his so called suitors will never play in the champions league. He is clearly extremely popular amongst the other players. I don't know what's in Alfredos head and heart, but I would hope he thinks before he jumps.

If Frankfurt offer what we value him at, he can look at Jovic and Haller and realise one good year in germany will get him that move.

For what it’s worth, I think he’ll be here for the season and away next summer
And if we win the league, he has the opportunity to play in the Champions league.

If he goes, we'll be making an insane profit and the club will have a good replacement in mind. If he doesn't, we keep one of our best players.

There isn't really a downside to this at all. The club won't sell him on the cheap.

Absolute nonsense

If Morelos goes we are a weaker squad. Any replacement striker will struggle to hit the net as often as Morelos. Frustrating as he is with his discipline I really hope he stays. I like our squad as it is.
How do you know that mate until you know who’s going to replace him?

Absolute nonsense
Not at all.

He doesnt have sufficient international caps so would need to be proven to be better than domestic players of his age.

Its not the same as Scotland. This should be common knowledge at this stage but maybe its just willful ignorance.

Thursday wasn’t Scottish referees

I didn’t say he was a bad boy, my point was it’s clear where is with our officials

The right bid comes in then we aren’t rejected it or keeping him

Folk talking about £30m aren’t living in the right world - if we get Dembele money we have won the lottery
Never thought you said he was a bad boy. This lad is an appreciating asset, his potential upside is enormous. You original post was, like I said pragmatic. 20m plus add ons is the bare minimum for me. The fee's being paid for some mediocre dross suggests 20m is not unreasonable. Just my opinion.

I think Dembelle tore up the rule book last summer to be honest. We should be looking for at least the same as he went for. I would rather we sold him in January if he is to leave. Markets are inflated and hopefully a good European run and no red cards we can easily get £30m+

I think the wee man could hit over 40 goals this season in all competitions this year if he stays. If he was to do that then next summer he would be a man in absolute demand.

Please stay Alfie. Stay and become a Rangers legend by firing us to the title !!

Why? I'd rather keep him. We're trying to win the league. Why would we want to sell our best players?

I feel the same, just tired of the constant media coverage and will they won’t they bid. My worry is that despite Gerrard stating that we won’t be excepting late offers, if somebody offers £20 mill 2-3 days before deadline, we will accept it

Not at all.

He doesnt have sufficient international caps so would need to be proven to be better than domestic players of his age.

Its not the same as Scotland. This should be common knowledge at this stage but maybe its just willful ignorance.
Cf: Played Championship Manager 1999/00

Why wouldn't he, surely its a UK work permit he has?
At the moment, yes.

He'd have to apply again if he moved clubs and it would be under the FA WP rules.

Colombia are currently 13th in the FIFA rankings meaning that hed have had to have played 45% of their games over the last 2 years.

He's automatically not qualified.

"The system has recently been tightened and now only non-EEA players who are internationally established at the highest level, and whose employment will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport at the highest level, are allowed to play in the UK. One of the reasons for the rule change was that only 58% of football players who were given work visas played any top-flight football in their second season"

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/footballer-work-permits/

Dembelle never went for the money that they said anybody that believes their PR regarding transfers need to wake up and smell the coffee, the mentally challengeds have been spouting pish for years about inflated transfers both in and out its what they do but we will get what our club think Morelas is worth or he wont leave, simple

I heard similar a few weeks ago and assumed to be a lot of crap to be honest.

At the moment, yes.

He'd have to apply again if he moved clubs and it would be under the FA WP rules.

Colombia are currently 13th in the FIFA rankings meaning that hed have had to have played 45% of their games over the last 2 years.

He's automatically not qualified.

"The system has recently been tightened and now only non-EEA players who are internationally established at the highest level, and whose employment will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport at the highest level, are allowed to play in the UK. One of the reasons for the rule change was that only 58% of football players who were given work visas played any top-flight football in their second season"

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/footballer-work-permits/

There's not a hope in hell he's being refused a work permit to work in England. Jesus christ.

You sure about that? Reason I ask is that richarlison had no senior caps for Brazil and his mooted move to the epl was supposed to be off on work permit grounds then all of a sudden he was turning out for Watford.

Never thought you said he was a bad boy. This lad is an appreciating asset, his potential upside is enormous. You original post was, like I said pragmatic. 20m plus add ons is the bare minimum for me. The fee's being paid for some mediocre dross suggests 20m is not unreasonable. Just my opinion.
Agree, finding a consistent goal scorer is one of the hardest things in football, this boy knows where the goals are that’s for sure and the club should be holding out for top dollar.
On one hand I’m desperate to keep him but I just know he’ll be hounded once again this season on and off the park.

You sure about that? Reason I ask is that richarlison had no senior caps for Brazil and his mooted move to the epl was supposed to be off on work permit grounds then all of a sudden he was turning out for Watford.
Under appeal, the FA took his under 21 caps into consideration. Brazil are a top 10 country (usually top 3).

Alfredo would fail to qualify and it would need to be appealed. Things like level of English and his time in Europe would be brought up.

It would all be down to the appeal.

I think some are going to be very disappointed with the fee Morelos will go for. He is a top player yes, but he is playing in a second rate league and does not have the big European game experience. He will be our record fee but £30m is cloud cuckoo land stuff.
Think you summed it up perfectly

I would assume that Gerrard and Allen have a list of 4-5 players that we could go for immediately to replace Morelos. We’d be fools if we didn’t. They would hopefully be players that we would be fairly confident of landing.

We have proven that our entire team is no longer dependent on Morelos. With a functional midfield at long last and clever wing play then we can spread the goals around.

But.

Our Morelos replacement will be a step down unless we are very lucky. If Frankfurt spend £15-20mill (the absolute minimum I would accept) then we are not buying a £15-20mill rated striker. We’re just not. They don’t come to Scotland. We are also not buying an up and coming player who’ll do as well as Morelos. Morelos is an up and coming player! He’s only 22! He is genuinely a bit of a phenomenon. The chances of us being lucky enough to get a rising global global star twice in a row are pretty low.

We will get a £5-10mill pound player who will not be as good as Alfie. It is inevitable. If there was a £5–10mill player better than him then Frankfurt would be buying that player. That guy will come in and will lead our line well, sharing the burden with the 5th best striker ever in the EPL. It’s not a bad position to be in. He will have all my backing.

But I would be willing to bet that several of Alfie’s boo boys on here (or at least the ones who do actually support Rangers) will bevon the new guys’ back before too long because he’s not scoring a goal every 25 minutes of game time....

Edit: it will also be disappointing that, for all the good work out recruitment have done in the close season, our fromt 3 would go from Kent, Morelos, Candeias to Jones, new guy, Ojo. Only Ojo will be an upgrade.

I’m not questioning his ability at all but his movement and all round play are entirely geared around being a solo battering ram. Gerrard wants three interchanging forwards moving intelligently with each other. Be honest, Alfie goes where Alfie wants.

Perhaps because that was the role he was asked to play? Think he has far more in his locker than battering ram

A bid by Frankfurt might kick in the bidding war that would get us the highest price.

Although I don’t want him to go I’m realistic that if a mega money bid comes in the he’s going to go. I hope for his sake it’s to the higher profile EPL and help him push his career on.

Back