Frankfurt Morelos

Under appeal, the FA took his under 21 caps into consideration. Brazil are a top 10 country (usually top 3).

Alfredo would fail to qualify and it would need to be appealed. Things like level of English and his time in Europe would be brought up.

It would all be down to the appeal.
On that basis, richarlison had 8 under 20 caps and no senior appearances, morelos has 6 under 20 caps and 3 full caps. Richarlison had never played in Europe before and morelos has played over a hundred games in Europe. There should be no issue with an appeal.

I would assume that Gerrard and Allen have a list of 4-5 players that we could go for immediately to replace Morelos. We’d be fools if we didn’t. They would hopefully be players that we would be fairly confident of landing.

We have proven that our entire team is no longer dependent on Morelos. With a functional midfield at long last and clever wing play then we can spread the goals around.

But.

Our Morelos replacement will be a step down unless we are very lucky. If Frankfurt spend £15-20mill (the absolute minimum I would accept) then we are not buying a £15-20mill rated striker. We’re just not. They don’t come to Scotland. We are also not buying an up and coming player who’ll do as well as Morelos. Morelos is an up and coming player! He’s only 22! He is genuinely a bit of a phenomenon. The chances of us being lucky enough to get a rising global global star twice in a row are pretty low.

We will get a £5-10mill pound player who will not be as good as Alfie. It is inevitable. If there was a £5–10mill player better than him then Frankfurt would be buying that player. That guy will come in and will lead our line well, sharing the burden with the 5th best striker ever in the EPL. It’s not a bad position to be in. He will have all my backing.

But I would be willing to bet that several of Alfie’s boo boys on here (or at least the ones who do actually support Rangers) will bevon the new guys’ back before too long because he’s not scoring a goal every 25 minutes of game time....

Edit: it will also be disappointing that, for all the good work out recruitment have done in the close season, our fromt 3 would go from Kent, Morelos, Candeias to Jones, new guy, Ojo. Only Ojo will be an upgrade.

A phenomenon. Steady, ffs.

Perhaps because that was the role he was asked to play? Think he has far more in his locker than battering ram

Of course he does, but he plays that way more often than not. Last season we didn’t have any other way until Defoe came into the team and then, suddenly, Arfield, Jack, Davis and Kamara start playing further forward, crisper and more creatively.

It’s not a zero sum game, I won’t be disappointed if Alfie stays but I’d advocate him starting fewer games until such times as he can prove he can operate within a different (and more effective) team dynamic.

We get 55 with Alfie so i would want him to stay.
But money talks and if someone meets our valuation then he will be gone.
We need this sorted out soon so that we can get whoever his replacement is into the team.

hszTAli.gif

He can’t be replaced IMO

We need silly money and over £25m
We keep and we win the league. In him and Defoe we have 2 top strikers.

I know mate. I’ve followed the club for 50
Years.

I don’t understand what you mean ?

I don’t buy the idea that Morelos was a once in a generation type trick never to be repeated.

I’m not saying it’s easy to pick up players of his quality for next to nothing, but the idea is to buy low and sell high then reinvest greater increments that should, law of averages would suggest, deliver better quality players.

e.g. £1m for Morelos, sold for circa £18m.

We then have say £5m to look for players in a higher bracket than Alfie was initially.

This is our model and applied well it should work.

Should, mind you.

I’m not at all fearful of losing him, but I still hope he stays.

I don’t buy the idea that Morelos was a once in a generation type trick never to be repeated.

I’m not saying it’s easy to pick up players of his quality for next to nothing, but the idea is to buy low and sell high then reinvest greater increments that should, law of averages would suggest, deliver better quality players.

e.g. £1m for Morelos, sold for circa £18m.

We then have say £5m to look for players in a higher bracket than Alfie was initially.

This is our model and applied well it should work.

Should, mind you.

I’m not at all fearful of losing him, but I still hope he stays.

Got you. And I do agree with you that this should be our strategy too.

To find two guys in a row at that price & with that skill set should be really difficult though.

If you look at that mhob in the east for every good buy they’ve had 2 or 3 bad ones but the media focuses on their successes.

A million a goal. 30 million or nothing. Winning 55 will be priceless and he will be an integral part of that. People saying 10-15 million are absolute mentalists.

No he didn't this is a load of shite I wish folk would stop claiming this drivel.
Its my opinion and I'm entitled to it.
I watch him wekk in and week out and was was in a huff.
He hardly contributed.
There were threads wondering how he would be when Pre season started so your opinion differs from many others

He hardly contributed.
There were threads wondering how he would be when Pre season started so your opinion differs from many others
I don't think he went in a huff at all. I think a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon as usually happens in these situations.

He hardly contributed.

Its utter nonsense, the whole squad was in turmoil at the time after we lost to Celtic at Ibrox and Murty lost the plot.

There’s absolutely no evidence Morelos is or was remotely interested in wasting his career in China.

He might look at Jovic to Real Madrid and Haller to West Ham and think that's an almighty shop window to be in.

Potential to go further in Europe than us as well.

Football players can retire on 1 decent contract these days he goes where the best money is and it’s up to Rangers to squeeze every penny out the deal imo he’s valued at between £15-20 million we hold the aces here he’s on a 4 year deal I love the guy he’s been brilliant for us but he has to go sometime all I want is the maximum opportunity to replace him so that means he goes before the season starts if not he stays n scores 30 goals again this season

How can someone’s own opinion be shite ,that’s very dumb .

You’re struggling to accept his opinion so you attack it .

Acceptance is wonderful once you let it in

Easily. For example, I could argue that Messi isn’t in the top 10 players of all time - which of course would be nonsense, ergo ‘a shite opinion’.

Accepting anything anyone says is fact, is the problem on here.

I would assume that Gerrard and Allen have a list of 4-5 players that we could go for immediately to replace Morelos. We’d be fools if we didn’t. They would hopefully be players that we would be fairly confident of landing.

We have proven that our entire team is no longer dependent on Morelos. With a functional midfield at long last and clever wing play then we can spread the goals around.

But.

Our Morelos replacement will be a step down unless we are very lucky. If Frankfurt spend £15-20mill (the absolute minimum I would accept) then we are not buying a £15-20mill rated striker. We’re just not. They don’t come to Scotland. We are also not buying an up and coming player who’ll do as well as Morelos. Morelos is an up and coming player! He’s only 22! He is genuinely a bit of a phenomenon. The chances of us being lucky enough to get a rising global global star twice in a row are pretty low.

We will get a £5-10mill pound player who will not be as good as Alfie. It is inevitable. If there was a £5–10mill player better than him then Frankfurt would be buying that player. That guy will come in and will lead our line well, sharing the burden with the 5th best striker ever in the EPL. It’s not a bad position to be in. He will have all my backing.

But I would be willing to bet that several of Alfie’s boo boys on here (or at least the ones who do actually support Rangers) will bevon the new guys’ back before too long because he’s not scoring a goal every 25 minutes of game time....

Edit: it will also be disappointing that, for all the good work out recruitment have done in the close season, our fromt 3 would go from Kent, Morelos, Candeias to Jones, new guy, Ojo. Only Ojo will be an upgrade.
No way Jones is going to be the first name in a front 3! Jones is a squad player - an Andy Halliday type player - who will always deliver when asked but is never a mainstay in the team.

And if we win the league, he has the opportunity to play in the Champions league.
CL qualifiers in reality. I imagine the prospect of playing week in week out in La Liga or EPL is more enticing to a player. And dont forget the €€€€

But.

There's always the possibility that we spend £5m on a replacement and he just doesn't work out. It happens. You look at Celtic. They blew a record £9m on Edouard and although he was their top scorer last season, he wasn't as effective for them as Dembele had been.

For that kind of money you would really kind of expect to get a 30 goals a season guy.

But I do think that Gerrard and Allen will have players in mind they believe can come in to the system we play and be at least as effective as Morelos.

If we spent £5m on a replacement and he scored 20+ next season and led us to the title, I doubt many would be complaining.

We did get extremely lucky with Morelos, and yes, it's difficult to repeat that precise buy low / sell high ratio every time we go shopping for a new striker, but with more money at our disposal it should allow us to look at a better quality of player thereby mitigating the chances of us ending up with a complete dud.

How can someone’s own opinion be shite ,that’s very dumb .

You’re struggling to accept his opinion so you attack it .

Acceptance is wonderful once you let it in

Between that and telling Candeias to “jog on wee man” because he wants to play football instead of sitting on the bench, I’m not surprised you’re getting grief mate.

The idea Morelos downed tools or had his head turned is a myth that is coincidentally (or not) perpetuated by the same people who love to pretend all of his red cards are legitimate and who seem desperate to see him sold for a low ball price.

Who can’t play together and one who is targeted and rises to the bait every time

Get him sold for good money
We don't need them to play together. We do need two different options upfront. Two quality strikers who score goals will always be better than one. Especially since the one definitely staying is only here one more season and is 36.

Speaking hypothetically here but if we sold Morelos for £15-£20m and looking at buying a replacement in the £5m range then I honestly think we'd need to look at buying two strikers of that level. Maybe a £5m player and a £3m player etc.

Need to spread the investment a bit as there is a risk at least one wouldn't work out.

If he stays ,gets his discipline right,and scores another 30 goals this season,,his valuation will only increase, we have him on a long term deal and we're under no real pressure to sell,,if we are really serious about winning the league, I think we have to keep him

Of course he does, but he plays that way more often than not. Last season we didn’t have any other way until Defoe came into the team and then, suddenly, Arfield, Jack, Davis and Kamara start playing further forward, crisper and more creatively.

It’s not a zero sum game, I won’t be disappointed if Alfie stays but I’d advocate him starting fewer games until such times as he can prove he can operate within a different (and more effective) team dynamic.

Alfie never played in front of Davis, Jack and Kamara.
No way Jones is going to be the first name in a front 3! Jones is a squad player - an Andy Halliday type player - who will always deliver when asked but is never a mainstay in the team.

That’s my point though i’d put him above Halliday on skill. At present, he’s probably our first choice left winger. Murphy is still recovering. Candeias isn’t at his best inverted and is probably for the off. I’d put Jones ahead of Hastie or Stewart on left wing.

If Kent returns or if we sign a left sided inside forward then it changes things. But for now that’s where we are.

Actually, Arfield might well be first choice left inside forward. That might arguably be better than Kent for end product.

[
Aye 30 goal non penalty taking strikers are 10 a penny for Rangers.

Thats not mentioning his hold up play , dream of a lone striker for someone
If we're offered that amount it won't matter what I think!

I do think there's far too much emphasis on the last few games of lasr season from some though, they were pretty much dead rubbers for all the teams involved.

And as much to do with Kamara , Davis , and Arfield , hitting top form as Defoe .

That’s my point though i’d put him above Halliday on skill. At present, he’s probably our first choice left winger. Murphy is still recovering. Candeias isn’t at his best inverted and is probably for the off. I’d put Jones ahead of Hastie or Stewart on left wing.

If Kent returns or if we sign a left sided inside forward then it changes things. But for now that’s where we are.

Actually, Arfield might well be first choice left inside forward. That might arguably be better than Kent for end product.

There's no arguably about it.

Davis
Jack Aribo
Ojo Arfield
Morelos

That's our strongest mid-front at the moment imo.

So what? The point is the midfield three - whichever midfield three - often played deeper and slower when Alfie is up top. There are other factors but one, for my money, is Alfie’s movement doesn’t allow for quite the same quick incision.

It’s a bit - I stress a bit - like back in late 2000s when Barry Ferguson looked an increasingly stodgy midfielder when Boyd was in the team. As soon as Naismith came on the park, Ferguson played further forward and better quicker forward passes.

I know he scored three goals against the fourth best team in Gibraltar in the week *rolls eyes* but did anyone notice how much better we played when he came off? A bit like when he wasn’t in the team at the end of last season.

Add his discipline issues to him being slightly at odds with our best style of play... time for the buffalo to roam.
Jesus christ what is goin through your head.

Between the Morelos and Tav stories this has got Hollicom/Daily Record all over it .

Rangers = negative media

Soapdodgers and the phantom Arsenal/Napoli/Teirney "saga" = positve media .

One would think there's a deflection campaign going on .
Exactly

Back