Fraser Wilson Daily Record

It's not an outlandish claim.

Just promoted, 3rd place, guaranteed European group stage football and a domestic trophy in the bag.

Meanwhile, we'd be empty handed at the end of the season. That's not success in my book.

Any Scottish club getting to any European final is better than winning any domestic cup. Hearts have done well this season but that's largely down to how utterly hopeless Aberdeen and Hibs have been. Hearts' budget dwarves the rest of the clubs in the league.

GoodnaturedGlamorousEarthworm-size_restricted.gif

I wouldn’t trust interpreting anything a daily record journalist says. Particularly one who was provided two surnames on a birth certificate.
That indicates the disappointment from parents at birth.

There would be no acceptable excuse if we don't win today. This is massive to them, it's a requirement for us.
See, I don't agree with that tbh. 3 120 minute matches in the last month, the players 62nd match of the season (more than any other team in world football), the emotional drain of losing Wednesday in 30+ degree heat that the fans couldn't even handle sitting watching yet the players are expected to be bang ready fitness and mentality wise today, 2 training sessions of which one was light recovery, Jimmy's funeral and the emotions of that and just 62hrs between full time on Wednesday and kick off today will all impact player availability and team selection. There will be numerous personnel changes today and Hearts will be right up for it and are a good team.

If we don't win I won't be happy but to say there'd be no acceptable excuse if the worst was to happen is entitled, hubristic crap which we've accused the other lot of being full of since we returned to the league. Boyd nailed it in his article, if it was a better team than QOTS in 2008 we would likely have lost that final as the players were absolutely spent. This team is no different. Hearts aren't QOTS, this will be a fantastic win given the circumstances imo if we were to finish on a high.

See, I don't agree with that tbh. 3 120 minute matches in the last month, the players 62nd match of the season (more than any other team in world football), the emotional drain of losing Wednesday in 30+ degree heat that the fans couldn't even handle sitting watching yet the players are expected to be bang ready fitness and mentality wise today, 2 training sessions of which one was light recovery, Jimmy's funeral and the emotions of that and just 62hrs between full time on Wednesday and kick off today will all impact player availability and team selection. There will be numerous personnel changes today and Hearts will be right up for it and are a good team.

If we don't win I won't be happy but to say there'd be no acceptable excuse if the worst was to happen is entitled, hubristic crap which we've accused the other lot of being full of since we returned to the league. Boyd nailed it in his article, if it was a better team than QOTS in 2008 we would likely have lost that final as the players were absolutely spent. This team is no different. Hearts aren't QOTS, this will be a fantastic win given the circumstances imo if we were to finish on a high.
We could play a lot of the reserves and still come away with a win. Hearts are sh1te, we should have them demolished within the first 30

We could play a lot of the reserves and still come away with a win. Hearts are sh1te, we should have them demolished within the first 30
They aren't shite ffs and they are fully rested with plenty time to prepare tactically. Gordon is a good keeper, Souttar an excellent defender, McKay is the best player outside the OF by some distance and Ginelly always gives us an issue with his pace. Boyce is a decent finisher and apparently fit too. They are going to fight for this like their lives depend on it as it's a cup final, it'll be absolutely nothing like last weekend when our C team effectively smashed them. If we win, it'll be hard won, well earned and deserved.

And the 3rd place budget in the Scottish game.

They have done what they should this season.

You are right - empty handed is not success for us.
Budget does not automatically equate to success, winning silverware or the league position. There are many more variables. We of all clubs should know that in terms of both success and failure - for example 2015 and this season.

So is he saying if they lose today they’ve had a shot season?

When you compare what success would have been for both clubs at the start of the season, Hearts have exceeded expectations - we did in Europe but not domestically.

But to say Hearts have had a better season than 2nd, a cup semi final, a final and a European final, is bollocks.
Winning is everything & we don't do that 2nd best is losing.

Least someone gets it. Too many Rangers fans now happy for 'good runs' on getting to finals. We NEED to win today otherwise the season WILL BE A DISASTER
No, as a club, we know what a disaster is and it has nothing to do with a trophyless season.

That said, I agree it will be a major disappointment.
However, given the financial success over the season, what we have achieved will set us up going into the future on a far more stable footing than one which contained only domestic success.

That said, the players know what is expected of them
They themselves have the allure of a winners medal before them.
They are good enough to win and now they must go onto the park as Rangers players and make one more huge effort as a team.

They will prevail.

In 2003 Celtic got to a European final in Seville but won nothing.
We won 3 trophies and laughed at them. Ever since we've mocked them for celebrating failure.

I'd like to think we still have the energy, desire and ability to win the cup today to make the comparison pointless. But if we were to lose, then what's the difference?
One difference is that we won't be naming any corporate area The Seville Suite.

But I get your point.

I've got a sneaky feeling the Hearts team might be slightly more up for a Scottish Cup final than a dead rubber in the league.

Hearts are Hearts. It'll be their usual manic running around and kicking anything that moves, League game or Cup Final. They'll never change, ever.

Least someone gets it. Too many Rangers fans now happy for 'good runs' on getting to finals. We NEED to win today otherwise the season WILL BE A DISASTER
The seasons already a disaster.

The league should be a must win every season.

The only thing that would’ve taken the edge off of that would’ve been winning the Europa, but we failed.

30 odd point turnaround this season is a disgrace.

Claims if Hearts win today they’ve had a better season than us.

Mental

It lacks the nuance of a coin-toss deciding a European final, but in the end we didnt win it.

It's all about levels, though. For a tinpot club like hearts, a club who have never - and likely never will - enjoy consistent success; finishing third and winning a cup is a success.

Just promoted, 3rd place, guaranteed European group stage football and a domestic trophy in the bag.

Meanwhile, we'd be empty handed at the end of the season. That's not success in my book.
Agreed whilst it’s great getting to finals it mean nothing if you don’t convert them into trophies

About £30m reasons for saying that he is speaking 19th Century Terrorist shite. Our achievement in getting to the final of the Europa is something his bastardised club can only dream about.

If Hearts win today their season will have been a huge success. Ours won’t have been.

It will have been a success for hearts but to try and suggest that hearts winning the SCottish Cup is a bigger success than us getting to the final of the Europa league and more than a few our our team being in the Europa team of the tourney and Tav being the top scorer in the Europa league is frankly crackpottery!

2012 has rewired the brains of a lot of bears and conditioned them to believe that silverware isn’t the be all and end all anymore. It fucking well is, if we lose this today then it’s been a crap season.

Only in our backward little currently warped country could this even be debatable. Our reputation has been enhanced greatly throughout Europe due to our European run, if we won even the treble in Scotland it wouldn't of been noticed by anyone out with our country and the money earned is 10 times what we earn here. We will be able to demand a lot more for our players and higher standards of players will be able to be enticed to our club because of our magnificent season.

Can't believe folks are seriously suggesting that a Scottish team reaching the final of a major European trophy but finishing without even a minor trophy like the SC constitutes a poor season. The inference appears to be that had we been papped out by Dortmund (say) but went on to.lift the SC they would see that as a more successful season than the one we have had.

We have earned millions and greatly enhanced the clubs reputation as a force in Europe. We were one miraculous save away from rewriting the club's history. That isn't failure, at least not my opinion. Folks need to retain a sense of perspective. A Scottish cup win does not transform a season like this. It will be a welcome consolation prize in a season defined by our Europa League run.

2012 has rewired the brains of a lot of bears and conditioned them to believe that silverware isn’t the be all and end all anymore. It fucking well is, if we lose this today then it’s been a crap season.
So beating nobodies on the way to a Scottish cup final and if they win , this would be a better season than us with no trophies but getting to the final of the Europa league ? NO, dont be daft.

So beating nobodies on the way to a Scottish cup final and if they win , this would be a better season than us with no trophies but getting to the final of the Europa league ? NO, dont be daft.
LOL. They’re just promoted, finished 3rd and would have won a trophy we haven’t won for a decade, but yeah it’s me who’s being daft. Don’t worry if we lose here you can get your bunting out and pop the champagne to celebrate our runners up medals. I’ll pass though if it’s all the same.

Doesn’t seem that long ago we were ripping the piss out of Celtic for trying to put a spin on a season that ended in a European final loss and ultimately, failure.

LOL. They’re just promoted, finished 3rd and would have won a trophy we haven’t won for a decade, but yeah it’s me who’s being daft. Don’t worry if we lose here you can get your bunting out and pop the champagne to celebrate our runners up medals. I’ll pass though if it’s all the same.

Doesn’t seem that long ago we were ripping the piss out of Celtic for trying to put a spin on a season that ended in a European final loss and ultimately, failure.
I'm laughing too.

Would you say the club's achievement of 5 European finals is a significant chapter in our history or not?

Lol. So the first 4 count as part of our history but not this one?
Sorry, I’ll repeat myself again, we’re talking about this seasons exploits. We’re not talking about the clubs overall history. But by all means continue bleating about it and ignoring the general point.

Sorry, I’ll repeat myself again, we’re talking about this seasons exploits. We’re not talking about the clubs overall history. But by all means continue bleating about it and ignoring the general point.
No we're not. We are talking about the club's historic achievements so I ask you again, will beating the likes of Dortmund, Red Star and Leipzig to reach a European final be seen as a significant accomplishment or not?

(For avoidance of doubt those matches were this season).

No we're not. We are talking about the club's historic achievements so I ask you again, will beating the likes of Dortmund, Red Star and Leipzig to reach a European final be seen as a significant accomplishment or not?
But we’re not though. You’ve jumped into the conversation and taken it off on a tangent. I’ll indulge you anyway - these are great results in isolation, but if we lose today then this season has ultimately been a failure, and it’s absolute loser talk, and unbecoming of the Rangers support, to even try and suggest any different.

But we’re not though. You’ve jumped into the conversation and taken it off on a tangent. I’ll indulge you anyway - these are great results in isolation, but if we lose today then this season has ultimately been a failure, and it’s absolute loser talk, and unbecoming of the Rangers support, to even try and suggest any different.
Great achievements 'in isolation'. Laughable stuff pal. So you now just discount them as part of a run that took us to a European final. In your mind they were just 'isolated' games that presumably had no bearing on the rest of our season?

One more time. Will reaching a fifth European final be seen as a major historical achievement in the clubs history. A simple yes or no is all that's required.

Great achievements 'in isolation'. Laughable stuff pal. So you now just discount them as part of a run that took us to a European final. In your mind they were just 'isolated' games that presumably had no bearing on the rest of our season?

One more time. Will reaching a fifth European final be seen as a major historical achievement in the clubs history. A simple yes or no is all that's required.
You must have had a great time over the last few years pulling your plonker to runners up medals. Embarrassment.

It’s telling that the clubs biggest legends don’t share your mindset, because they were winners.

You must have had a great time over the last few years pulling your plonker to runners up medals. Embarrassment.

It’s telling that the clubs biggest legends don’t share your mindset, because they were winners.
Lol. Of course players and fans prefer to win trophies, but your staunchness and 'winning mentality' seem to have rendered you incapable of answering a simple question.

Will reaching a fifth European final be seen as part of the clubs history or will the clubs legends insist it is expunged from our collective memories?

Lol. Of course players and fans prefer to win trophies, but your staunchness and 'winning mentality' seem to have rendered you incapable of answering a simple question.

Will reaching a fifth European final be seen as part of the clubs history or will the clubs legends insist it is expunged from our collective memories?
I’ve answered your question already but you seem incapable of comprehending basic English. It’ll be remembered as a great achievement in isolation, had we not won today, the season would have ultimately been remembered as a failure because we’d have won nothing and that’s crap when you’re competing against in the sides we compete against.

And there’s nothing staunch about my mentality, it’s the mentality that’s made the club so successful, and I’ll take that over the turd polishing loser mentality you’re pushing any day.

They aren't shite ffs and they are fully rested with plenty time to prepare tactically. Gordon is a good keeper, Souttar an excellent defender, McKay is the best player outside the OF by some distance and Ginelly always gives us an issue with his pace. Boyce is a decent finisher and apparently fit too. They are going to fight for this like their lives depend on it as it's a cup final, it'll be absolutely nothing like last weekend when our C team effectively smashed them. If we win, it'll be hard won, well earned and deserved.
This aged well. Some fight.

They've never tested McLaughlin and had Aribo and Diallo been on form, we'd have been 3-0 up by FT through headed goals.

I’ve answered your question already but you seem incapable of comprehending basic English. It’ll be remembered as a great achievement in isolation, had we not won today, the season would have ultimately been remembered as a failure because we’d have won nothing and that’s crap when you’re competing against in the sides we compete against.

And there’s nothing staunch about my mentality, it’s the mentality that’s made the club so successful, and I’ll take that over the turd polishing loser mentality you’re pushing any day.
Lol...mate go lie down in a dark room ffs. You can't say that reaching a European Final is great (historic) accomplishment in isolation but write the season as a whole off as a failure.

Do you genuinely believe the likes of McCoist and GVB agree with your ridiculous perspective?

Lol...mate go lie down in a dark room ffs. You can't say that reaching a European Final is great (historic) accomplishment in isolation but write the season as a whole off as a failure.

Do you genuinely believe the likes of McCoist and GVB agree with your ridiculous perspective?
So you’re at least taking my answer this time? I already had it cut and and ready to paste in case you wanted it explained a 4th time :))

Gio won’t agree, he’s the manager. McCoist would, but we’ll never know for certain because we’re winning the cup and that scenario hasn’t transpired. To flip this though, did you have Celtic’s season in 2003 down as a passable and historic one for them? I mean the answer has to be yes based on what you’ve told me here.

Yes I’m sure hearts wouldn’t swap the two balloons and a toffee apple you get for the Scottish cup for the 36 million that Rangers got.

Back