Fraserburgh Player Was A Mascot When We Won The Cup In 2003

E10H

"My dad has had big occasions as a player but I don't think he's topped playing Rangers."

Fraserburgh’s Paul Young has shared a pitch with Rangers in the Scottish Cup once before.

His only disappointment that day was that he wasn’t able to play.

But tomorrow he will get the chance to face the Gers when they visit Bellslea in the fourth round of the competition.

Young was on the pitch representing Fraserburgh as a mascot at Hampden on May 31, 2003, before the Scottish Cup final between the Govan outfit and Dundee.

Every senior Scottish club was given the chance to send a mascot to the game and Young, who was 11 at the time, was chosen for the Broch.

The midfielder said: “I was the Broch mascot then because I think there was a representative from every senior club there and I was fortunate enough to get the nod for the Broch that day.

“I think how it came about was because my dad, Jimmy, is good friends with the Broch chairman Finlay Noble and I think he maybe asked my dad if I wanted to do it and I’d said yes.

“I remember just looking up and seeing 50,000 fans singing and jumping around.

“It was a great experience at the time and something special that I’ll never get again.

“It was a surreal sort of moment. In that situation you obviously want to be the players, but it hasn’t quite happened for myself.

“But it was a really good experience.”

Rangers won the 2003 final with Lorenzo Amoruso scoring midway through the second half to see off Dee.

That team contained the likes of Stefan Klos, Barry Ferguson, Ronald De Boer and Arthur Numan.

While the current Gers side doesn’t include that sort of quality, interim boss Graeme Murty has signed Jamie Murphy, Sean Goss, Jason Cummings and Russell Martin on loan from clubs in England.

And Greg Docherty signed from Hamilton for £680,000 last week.

Young is determined to enjoy what he expects to be a great occasion tomorrow night after the game was rearranged following a postponement on January 21.

The 25-year-old added: “There are a lot of Rangers fans from the Fraserburgh area so there will probably be a lot of people looking for both teams to do well.

“It should be a good occasion and I’m sure it will be.

“We just have to enjoy it. There’s no pressure on us, we’re expected to get beat so we might as well enjoy it because it probably won’t happen again for us.

“I played against Hibs for Turriff United two years ago in the Irn-Bru Cup at the Haughs (3-0 loss) and that was some experience.

“But I think this will be another level with it being the biggest cup in Scottish football.

“There will probably be a better atmosphere just because of how tight and crowded Bellslea is – so it will be something to savour.”

Young isn’t the first in his family to play for the Broch with dad Jimmy turning out for the Buchan outfit during the 1980s and 90s.

Young Junior said: “He’s looking forward to it a lot, he had cup runs himself.

“But it was harder for teams to progress in the Scottish Cup when he played.

“Teams had to go through the Qualifying Cup and only a few got in.

“He’s had big occasions as well, but I don’t think he’s topped playing Rangers.”

Young and the rest of the Broch players will be working this week as normal, slightly different preparation from tomorrow’s full-time opponents.

“I’ve been working as normal this week,” he said.

“But I’ll probably get away earlier tomorrow to get something to eat before the game.

“Their preparations on the day will be different from ours.

“We’ll just arrive at the usual time for a Wednesday game and just get on with things as normal – nothing will really change for us.”

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp...-final-and-now-hes-aiming-to-shoot-down-gers/

Back