Free VPN Advice Please on new RTV setup

TwoBadMice

I know this subject has been done to to death and ive contributed but due to personal circumstances ive had to cancel my VPN subscription (Hide.me) was paying 16.99 a month for unlimited bandwidth

need a free one that will get me the game via RTV (want to pay the club so willing too) but cannot justify 16.99 a month for hide me with wedding and buying a house....

long story short no messing

i need a free browser (possibly opera)? With free vpn with no streaming limit for tomorrow’s game

dont want no illegal links will be watching it at 9pm via paying RTV

anyone recommend me a fully tried n tested free VPN with the new RTV setup?
Much appreciated

Tor browser has a built in vpn too

Or if you're just looking to cut costs, nord vpn is only a fiver a month

I know this subject has been done to to death and ive contributed but due to personal circumstances ive had to cancel my VPN subscription (Hide.me) was paying 16.99 a month for unlimited bandwidth

need a free one that will get me the game via RTV (want to pay the club so willing too) but cannot justify 16.99 a month for hide me with wedding and buying a house....

i need a free browser (possibly opera)? With free vpn with no streaming limit for tomorrow’s game

Much appreciated
Windscribe has a free VPN as well as a paid version. I've not had any issues with using them.

Somebody on here recommended Psiphon ages ago, it’s free and always works for me on my I pad.

Opera browser with built in VPN here. Been using it with HDMI cable to the TV from the laptop again, it's not the prettiest method but pretty reliable and usually good quality.

That’s a helluva price you were paying. I can’t recommend a free VPN (they are free for a reason) but the best two paid for are NordVPN or ExpressVPN. If you can afford fo pay up front - which might be a stretch - both can generally be had on two or three year subscriptions for the equivalent of around £3 per month. I use PIA (Private Internet Access) at a similar price.

This list of freebies might help - though some have download limits. Watch out also for number of locations/servers:

This link recommends some more - but also explains some of the many drawbacks (buffering, adverts, malware, lack of servers, lack of security):

Last edited:
I use the free Windscribe package and have had no problems with it. You get 10Gb/month and that's enough for 4 games. Since the new RTV player was introduced, you no longer have the option of switching the VPN off after authentication to save on data.

I've tried the built-in VPN in Opera but experienced frequent buffering with it.

£16.99 or month seems excessive mate, I got NordVPN 3 year plan paid it upfront I’m sure I paid under £100

I got a 3 year subscription with Express VPN on Black Monday last year, from memory I think it was about £32 or 34 for the 3 years

That’s a helluva price you were paying. I can’t recommend a free VPN (they are free for a reason) but the best two paid for are NordVPN or ExpressVPN. If you can afford fo pay up front - which might be a stretch - both can generally be had on two or three year subscriptions for the equivalent of around £3 per month. I use PIA (Private Internet Access) at a similar price

There's a deal on at the moment where you can get Private Internet Access for under £23 for a year https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/peace

I recently went from using a separate vpn with Chrome to Opera. Should have done it sooner! No additional cost and it has been faultless. Very, very happy!

Much appreciated
Opera has built in vpn as you say.

If you can afford a paid one, I’d recommend Nord VPN. Can’t fault it, where as before I was with Pure VPN and they let me down a few times for Rangers games when offshore. If you take a 2 or 3 year deal it works out very cheap.

I got VPNUnlimited for £20 for life on some online deal years ago and it’s always been brilliant. You can use it on your phone as well.

Said a few times. Free VPN's share your internet access with other users. So, their traffic, whatever that is, is coming via your connection. Hola in particular got pelters over this. I personally would not use a free VPN.

Cheers literally every penny counts at the minute

looks like i’ll try opera & chrome with the extension until jan when my financial shitstorm has subsided

thanks for all advice on what is a subject thats been done to death but id rather give what money i have to Rangers than use an illegal stream

Said a few times. Free VPN's share your internet access with other users. So, their traffic, whatever that is, is coming via your connection. Hola in particular got pelters over this. I personally would not use a free VPN.

There is nothing at all on this laptop i only use it to watch rangers games via tv so they are welcome to have a poke around

There is nothing at all on this laptop i only use it to watch rangers games via tv so they are welcome to have a poke around
It's not them poking around you'd need to worry about. It's what they're watching/using it for that's the issue.

It used to be OK to activate the free VPN and get the game going. Once it is you can turn off the VPN and it was working fine. I am not sure if that is still the case. Last time I turned my VPN off mid-game the location error did come back up after a couple of mins. So, not sure with the latest version of their streaming it's now checking a fair amount to make sure you're not UK based.

Cheers literally every penny counts at the minute

looks like i’ll try opera & chrome with the extension until jan when my financial shitstorm has subsided

thanks for all advice on what is a subject thats been done to death but id rather give what money i have to Rangers than use an illegal stream
A lot of the VPN providers like Express VPN and Nord VPN offer trial periods. You could go through a couple of these and cancel before payment. No ideal but it'll give you a reliable connection for a bit.

Another vote for Windscribe free here, used to use Opera but had to lower the quality drastically to avoid buffering. No such problems so far with Windscribe!

I know it's a bit off topic but can you not switch the VPN off during the game anymore? I used to have it in to start the stream then switch it off. Has that changed?

I know it's a bit off topic but can you not switch the VPN off during the game anymore? I used to have it in to start the stream then switch it off. Has that changed?

There‘s been mixed reports. The odd poster still able to do it but the vast majority report losing the feed as soon as the VPN is turned off.

Opera browser has a free built in vpn. Turn it on in the settings, took me a while to find it. Works fine with RTV.
Just downloaded to my macbook pro. Cheers for that as I had to buy a month on Tunnelbear a couple of weeks ago to watch the last few games. As others have said turning the vpn off after connection no longer seems to work. I'll just use this for RTV now.

Just downloaded to my macbook pro. Cheers for that as I had to buy a month on Tunnelbear a couple of weeks ago to watch the last few games. As others have said turning the vpn off after connection no longer seems to work. I'll just use this for RTV now.
I use opera for anything torrent or football through rtv related, chrome for anything else.

Ive never had any issues with it at all

Much appreciated

In the era of technology, free VPN it was a myth like you pay them with your data or credentials and they breach your data to others so i suggest if are you choosing a VPN go with surfshark free 7 days trial

Opera browser (turn on VPN) or Puffin browser (US based server so don't have to do anything) have both always worked well for me.

Opera gives you more control of what country etc. you are visiting for the day

I am always scared to start a thread on this because I know it's covered a lot.

I am travelling with work for St Mirren at home so am having to miss it unfortunately. I could use an IPTV login but I think I'd rather pay for WiFi at my hotel, get RTV and a VPN and watch it so the money goes to Rangers.

How much am I looking at paying for a VPN and RangersTV for the one game?

EDIT: Just seen posts about Opera or Puffin, so just RTV I need.

I am always scared to start a thread on this because I know it's covered a lot.

I am travelling with work for St Mirren at home so am having to miss it unfortunately. I could use an IPTV login but I think I'd rather pay for WiFi at my hotel, get RTV and a VPN and watch it so the money goes to Rangers.

How much am I looking at paying for a VPN and RangersTV for the one game?

EDIT: Just seen posts about Opera or Puffin, so just RTV I need.
I've use Opera on my phone, a tablet and a laptop while travelling to watch games and it's worked a treat. Easy to set up too.

Back