Free VPN Advice Please on new RTV setup

You’ve a few options.

Tunnelbear - Great for folks who aren’t techsavvy. Good UI, 500MB free per week/month. You can get an extra 1GB for free if you tweet them, or get the kids to do it for you.

NordVPN - Yeah they got hacked. I still use them anyway.

ExpressVPN - I found to be a bit hit or miss in all honesty.

Opera - This is a browser that has a built in VPN. Works a treat, costs nothing, no caps.

I am always scared to start a thread on this because I know it's covered a lot.

I am travelling with work for St Mirren at home so am having to miss it unfortunately. I could use an IPTV login but I think I'd rather pay for WiFi at my hotel, get RTV and a VPN and watch it so the money goes to Rangers.

How much am I looking at paying for a VPN and RangersTV for the one game?

EDIT: Just seen posts about Opera or Puffin, so just RTV I need.

To purchase a one-off game its usually £7.99 I think.

In the era of technology, free VPN it was a myth like you pay them with your data or credentials and they breach your data to others so i suggest if are you choosing a VPN go with surfshark free 7 days trial

Ive been using Opera since this post with no issues mate, they didn't ask for my email adress so not sure how they'll breach my details?

I've recently bought Windscribe via Stack social offer.

I'm going to try it for the St Mirren game on the 22nd, and if it goes well, I'm going to stump up the £17.50 a month the club want. Seems a bargain to me as it'll cover 6 games in the first month alone.....

do you need too switch the VPN on using this?

Some info here. You can leave the VPN on all the time but its probably only necessary when viewing RangersTV streams. I'd suggest setting your location as near to the UK as possible - eg France, Belgium, The Netherlands etc. It wont be as fast or as good as a paid for VPN but is 'useable' in most cases. Just don't come on here bleating when it buffers!;)

After downloading the browser, enabling VPN is easy. Go to “Settings” (or “Preferences” on Mac), choose “Privacy & Security” and then toggle the free VPN. An icon labeled “VPN” will appear in the browser, from which you can toggle VPN on and off, and choose a location.

Some info here. You can leave the VPN on all the time but its probably only necessary when viewing RangersTV streams. I'd suggest setting your location as near to the UK as possible - eg France, Belgium, The Netherlands etc. It wont be as fast or as good as a paid for VPN but is 'useable' in most cases. Just don't come on here bleating when it buffers!;)

After downloading the browser, enabling VPN is easy. Go to “Settings” (or “Preferences” on Mac), choose “Privacy & Security” and then toggle the free VPN. An icon labeled “VPN” will appear in the browser, from which you can toggle VPN on and off, and choose a location.

cheers for that mate but it’s the phone app that I’m using and those instructions dont apply as far as I can see when I go into settings

out of interest what do you use??

cheers for that mate but it’s the phone app that I’m using and those instructions dont apply as far as I can see when I go into settings
out of interest what do you use??

On Android of iPhone? Here's the info for Android:

I use a paid for VPN called Private Internet Access (PIA). Though the best reviewed are NordVPN and ExpressVPN. If you're going to be watching on a phone though - madness IMHO - I wouldn't be paying too much for any VPN.

On Android of iPhone? Here's the info for Android:

I use a paid for VPN called Private Internet Access (PIA). Though the best reviewed are NordVPN and ExpressVPN. If you're going to be watching on a phone though - madness IMHO - I wouldn't be paying too much for any VPN.

cheers again. I can cast from my phone onto the tv which works a treat

WARNING:

Free VPNs are a bad idea. Using a free VPN is just using someone in another countries internet. By doing that, someone is using YOUR internet. They could be using it for any number of things.

Pay for VPNs.

Source: https://www.cisomag.com/free-vpn/

"
Take a look at Hola VPN, for instance. Its website claims that it is used by 200 million people as of today. Most of them use it because it is free.

The irony is, most of those users have not read the terms and conditions before installing Hola VPN. If they did, they would have learned about Hola’s business model. In lieu of payment, users contribute their “idle resources” of their computers to create a “community powered” peer-to-peer (P2P) network. So their PCs become “exit nodes” for other users.

Isn’t that scary?

"

Hola was (is?) using your pc to run someone elses free-vpn. So when you used Hola to watch the Rangers game, someone else using Hola in eg Germany was using their bandwidth to stream the game from RTV to their PC then send it to your PC.

Windscribe give you 10gb for free hoping you will buy their pro version

Thats enough for your game

Also out of interest. How do you guys stream to a tv. I normally just watch games on the computer but it would be good to use the tv. I’ve got a smart tv and a PS4.

Source: https://www.cisomag.com/free-vpn/

"
Take a look at Hola VPN, for instance. Its website claims that it is used by 200 million people as of today. Most of them use it because it is free.

The irony is, most of those users have not read the terms and conditions before installing Hola VPN. If they did, they would have learned about Hola’s business model. In lieu of payment, users contribute their “idle resources” of their computers to create a “community powered” peer-to-peer (P2P) network. So their PCs become “exit nodes” for other users.

Isn’t that scary?

"

Hola was (is?) using your pc to run someone elses free-vpn. So when you used Hola to watch the Rangers game, someone else using Hola in eg Germany was using their bandwidth to stream the game from RTV to their PC then send it to your PC.

Windscribe give you 10gb for free hoping you will buy their pro version

Thats enough for your game

Yeah it's mad mate. So many don't realise this!

I've seen deals around for VPNs less than £5 a month. Definitely worth it!

Yeah it's mad mate. So many don't realise this!

I've seen deals around for VPNs less than £5 a month. Definitely worth it!

How about this deal that popped up the other day

5 years PureVPN for 59.4 USD - 45 quid

Would have went for it myself, but stacked a few Windscribe deals together

Good deal on Nord VPN 3 Years for less than £30 go through Quidco and add this code when you get to the Nord page GSGTsDx9Bjm9y

Its a discount code from the Daily mail https://discountcode.dailymail.co.uk/nordvpn that gives you an extra 3 months and costs £79, i just got a confirmed payback email of £52 odds from Quidco

How about this deal that popped up the other day

5 years PureVPN for 59.4 USD - 45 quid

Would have went for it myself, but stacked a few Windscribe deals together

Christ, that's a great deal!

I’ve just downloaded the Opera app as I’ve had a lot of buffering lately with my free VPN through chromecast app.

Is private mode the same as using a VPN?
Unsure but if you select the red O in the app. the vpn is the 3rd option down.

Can you use Puffin with a VPN on a Windows laptop?

EDIT: Ignore me, I think Opera will work for this. Just for the one game on Wednesday anyway.

Can you use Puffin with a VPN on a Windows laptop?

EDIT: Ignore me, I think Opera will work for this. Just for the one game on Wednesday anyway.

Ive used Opera for around 10 games and never had a problem mate you should be fine however with today's changes to Rangers TV nothing is for granted

Also out of interest. How do you guys stream to a tv. I normally just watch games on the computer but it would be good to use the tv. I’ve got a smart tv and a PS4.
If I’m not at a game I’ll just cast it from RTV through Apple TV from my phone, or I’ve got an HDMI cable which I run from my MacBook to my TV.

Having said that I think Apple TV casting with VPNs on RTV has had issues lately. I haven’t watched a game this way since Legia away but mate was telling me the other day it’s dropped off as an option the last couple of games for him.

Is it easy to set a vpn up on a smart tv ?
You can get a firestick for 25 quid that's what I use.

Theres lots of vpn apps on there

I paid 30 for a years cyber ghost (look for offers its normally more than that)

I use firefox to load RTV once vpns on

I just wish they’d go back to the previous system of just checking location as the video loaded and then being able to turn off the vpn

I’ve just downloaded the Opera app as I’ve had a lot of buffering lately with my free VPN through chromecast app.

Is private mode the same as using a VPN?
If it works the same as a fire stick, just a case of downloading the app.....I use nord vpn which I pay for, but download the app, switch on the vpn and away you go

If it works the same as a fire stick, just a case of downloading the app.....I use nord vpn which I pay for, but download the app, switch on the vpn and away you go
Sorry don’t know what happened there, this was supposed to be a reply to the op asking about using vpn on smart tvs

Private Internet access (PIA) which I use and have never had any issue with (works great with RangersTV) can currently be had for $29 for the year. That’s a great price. Easy to install, can use it on desktop and laptop, apps for mobile devices etc. Can connect on up to 5 devices at the same time. Recommended.

I know it's not free, but you're getting some pretty good VPN's cheap at the moment. I'm using Surfshark which was £38 for two years. %^*& all really.

Just tried rtv on phone and firestick with cyberghost but I'm still not seeing how to play the live match. I've tried logging in without vpn then logging out logging in with vpn on but still nothing I'm hoping after 7.30 theres play live match option

Just tried rtv on phone and firestick with cyberghost but I'm still not seeing how to play the live match. I've tried logging in without vpn then logging out logging in with vpn on but still nothing I'm hoping after 7.30 theres play live match option

Assuming you subscribe to the Unlimited package:

Turn on your VPN. Login to RangersTV and go to the Live tab. The match video and audio will be there with red buttons underneath, click to play.

If you simply want to purchase the individual match:

Turn your VPN on. Click on the Subscribe to RangersTV tab and you should see the option to purchase the match. Buy it. Then do as above.

Last edited:
Assuming you subscribe to the Unlimited package:

Turn on your VPN. Login to RangersTV and go to the Live tab. The match video and audio will be there with red buttons underneath, click to play.

If you simply want to purchase the individual match:

Turin your VPN on. Click on the Subscribe to RangersTV tab and you should see the option to purchase the match. Buy it. Then do as above.
I've got it now on firestick i was looking for a play button on the live match image like the old site but its lower down now

Back