Free VPN Advice Please on new RTV setup

Wee heads up folks.

If casting to Chromecast don't use the built in cast tab on the RTV player - cast from your own Chromecast icon.

Opera with VPN again with laptop and HDMI

Few small glitches but no complaints

Lots of people on here and twitter having problems

Something needs to be done

Opera with VPN again with laptop and HDMI

Few small glitches but no complaints

Lots of people on here and twitter having problems

Something needs to be done

Yup, folks need to look at their own setup. In particular the VPN they use and how much other activity is on their broadband whilst they try to stream (kids on the Xbox in the bedroom, Mrs on Netflix somewhere). The stream for the majority, and in particular tonight, was very good.

Do you use this on an app ? I can’t find one in App Store. Any advice appreciated from any users of this VPN.

I've not long had my iPhone and looking now I can't see it either. I had the app on my Samsung. I use it for my laptop.

I'm surprised.

Nord VPN are currently offering a 3 year deal for £2.68 a month. I'd be shocked if anyone on here cannot afford this.

There is a reason why you can get free VPNs - it's because they do not offer the same security.

Disclaimer: I am not employed by Nord nor will I receive any money from them if you sign up :))

I had a few trials of Nord and never ever had an issue with RTV. Going to sign up and pay the one off 3 years package they are offering

What country?

Netherlands buffered constantly. Worked fine before upgrade

Aye right ye are then ...

so, all of those who didn't need a VPN and had NO buffering, before or after, the said same upgrade, have to join you in blaming Big Bad RTV for upgrading !?
Sorry, but could you explain that again ... :confused:

(it's a conspiracy a tell ye :rolleyes:)

Aye right ye are then ...

so, all of those who didn't need a VPN and had NO buffering, before or after, the said same upgrade, have to join you in blaming Big Bad RTV for upgrading !?
Sorry, but could you explain that again ... :confused:

(it's a conspiracy a tell ye :rolleyes:)

You still drunk or something?

I had issues with old VPN and changed it at the start of December. All games were fine, I was then one of the ones whos account got canceled, I had to sign up again before Stranraer and now I have buffering.

No tin foil hat here mate.

Get Nord via the work after the IT manager recommended we all have it (I may or may not be the IT manager ;)).
The speeds are generally near full, and you can switch server to the fastest if it ever drops off.
Its excellent for being in the good ol USA if I ever want a Bleacher Report (etc.) event.

You still drunk or something?

I had issues with old VPN and changed it at the start of December. All games were fine, I was then one of the ones whos account got canceled, I had to sign up again before Stranraer and now I have buffering.

No tin foil hat here mate.

Isn't that your Mrs watching one of the 'dodgy' streams on her phone at the same time as you are watching RangersTV? She's stealing all your bandwidth mate.;):):))

Wee heads up folks.

If casting to Chromecast don't use the built in cast tab on the RTV player - cast from your own Chromecast icon.
I’ve have tried casting from my iPad to my chromecast but doesn’t seem to appear on the page anywhere. Any advice?

For those who use the free, built-in VPN on Opera its worth having a read of this review in full, though I've included some extracts below. Particularly if you are having buffering. It is scathing of the reduction in speed as a result of using this VPN. In fact, they say its not a true VPN anyway. As they say though, its FREE.

In brief summary, based on that review, on a notional 100Mbps connection Opera VPN slowed things down to around 7Mbps. That's just 7% of the notional available speed. :eek: The likes of NordVPN, ExpressVPN and PIA are achieving around the 80Mbps mark, or 80%, on the same system.

The drawbacks are fairly significant on many levels however:

We trade off some internet speed for a secure proxy or VPN connection. That’s just the nature of the beast.

But when huge chunks of performance are siphoned off in the name of anonymity, it becomes a problem.

There are VPNs out there that can still achieve fast speeds while hiding your activity. So you don’t have to settle for slowness.

But Opera VPN slows your system down by quite a bit.

We tested Opera’s European server and another in America, recording the speed levels as we went.

The results were not great.

Our European server test was abysmal, with speeds plummeting down into unacceptable territory.

Opera’s VPN connection was almost the slowest we’ve tested, ranking 74 out of 78.

Do I Recommend Opera VPN?

Nope.

This is a free VPN and you don’t need to buy it, but it’s STILL not even worth using.

Jurisdiction issues, leaks, no kill switch, no torrenting, and no customer support. This is like my ultimate VPN nightmare.

The only reason you should even consider using this product is if you want to use a VPN to watch Netflix. But even then, you can’t select a country to connect to, so you have no idea which regional content you’ll get.

And to top it all off, it’s not even a VPN.

It’s a proxy misrepresenting itself.

Which means there is no encryption, no tunneling, no protection, and no device support.

There is no silver lining here. There is no “well maybe if you wanna do this, it’s ok.”

This is just a bad VPN option.

Out of the 78 VPNs we’ve reviewed, we rank Opera VPN at number 76.

Last edited:
personally I do not recommend anyone to use a free VPN for the reason that free VPN do not gives you utterly advanced security features as well also perform sluggish when you want torrenting or accessing geo-blocked content hence I recommend you to go such a good resource and find a best VPN deal according to your need.

personally I do not recommend anyone to use a free VPN for the reason that free VPN do not gives you utterly advanced security features as well also perform sluggish when you want torrenting or accessing geo-blocked content hence I recommend you to go such a good resource and find a best VPN deal according to your need.

No1 on that list is Surfshark. I swapped from PIA to that over 12 months ago. Very cheap, loads of servers and very quick for all uses. Wouldn't use anything else now, works brilliantly on Firestick.

Another vote for Nord. I'm paying around £2 a month on a 3 year deal. Use it mainly as Im based outside UK mainly for iplayer and itv hub, etc. Usually beats the BBC attempt to block vpns

Is rangers TV unlimited still available to purchase? I don’t see the option on the website, just standard

do you have to be on the VPN to subscribe?

i was subscribed but cancelled a couple of months ago when I was furloughed, but in a position to sign up again!

Is Rangers TV unlimited still available to purchase? I don’t see the option on the website, just standard

do you have to be on the VPN to subscribe?

i was subscribed but cancelled a couple of months ago when I was furloughed, but in a position to sign up again!

You won’t see the Unlimited offered unless you are overseas - or have your VPN turned on to ‘pretend’ you are overseas.

Fastest VPN on Stack Social.

2 connections, $14.99 lifetime subscription.

I got a single connection for $11.99 before Christmas and paid just over £9.

Plenty of servers and hasn't let me down so far.

No1 on that list is Surfshark. I swapped from PIA to that over 12 months ago. Very cheap, loads of servers and very quick for all uses. Wouldn't use anything else now, works brilliantly on Firestick.
Swapped from Nord to Surfshark about six months ago. Not a heavy user but, for me, the functionality is equal.

Back