Friday - Arbroath v Partick Thistle - May not be the worst thing ever!

SM™

Staff member
These games on that awful BBC Scotchland channel are hit or miss stuff. Was out a few weeks ago and caught the second half of Morton coming back from 0-2 to beat Partick 3-2. Told my cuz ICT/Morton would be worth watching. Didn't see it myself but apparently a truly awful game of football with a crowd of about 100!

Maybe it's the international break making me desperate for any real football of any sort whatsoever but here's why this is worth keeping an eye on.

Start of the season pretty much everyone thought Arbroath will finish bottom by some distance. Alloa tipped to finish in the play-off spot, even with the bonus of that awful 5-a-side pitch, unless a full-time side really, really screws up massively.

Three of the full-time sides have had an abysmal start. Bosses at Thistle (H), Dunfermline (Stevie Crawford) and Queen of the South (Gary Naysmith?) will really be feeling the heat if Arbroath and Alloa start to pull away from them.

The Heid was under big pressure last year. He was appointed in October and Thistle were a good shout for relegation at the start of March with fans wanting shot of him. Wee run in the league and a cup QF draw with Hearts before losing the replay saved him but a few months later and it's back to joke defending and tactical blunders with the Firhill crowd saying the only reason he's there is the cost of sacking him.

If Arbroath win they're 9 ahead of Thistle in mid-September. Would be a great start by Loyal and True, Orange and Blue, Staunch Brother Dick Campbell. Don't know any Partick fans personally and I've only seen 45 minutes but could this be the one that sees the Heid join fellow bastard Barry Smith in the sacked manager list for 2019/20? Fingers crossed!

championship.PNG

Last edited:
As much as I'd like to see 'Heed' fail and get relegated, it would hinder the development of Cammy Palmer, which would be a shame.

Maybe I'm fortunate, only catching the 2nd half of ICT v Morton, good few goals, albeit maybe not as good a game as the 'Peh' derby.

Sometimes I think that might be a good enough game to watch, then reality kicks in it’s part of that putrid Republican Channel, and then I turn into a Refusenik.

Thistle are taking a big support up on Friday. Anything less than a win and they’ll turn on Caldwell big time. Arbroath manager Dick Campbell is also a hate-figure for Thistle fans.

Arbroath already cheered me up by dumping Dundee Utd out of the Challenge Cup at Tannadice last week. I wish Mr. Campbell every success (he promised Arbroath were not in the Championship to make up the numbers).

No thank you, haven't watched one second on BBC Scotland's "new channel", and I won't be breaking that by watching Partick Thistle.

Can anyone who purposefully tunes in to watch Arbroath v Thistle, especially on that channel, really claim to 'like' football?

I attended an Arbroath v Partick Thistle game about 20 years ago when the late John Lambie was the Jags manager. Arbroath won 2-0 but the thing that I remembered most from that day was a bit of crowd banter towards Lambie. Halfway though the second half Thistle got a corner which the Arbroath goalie simply plucked out of the air. Lambie shouted at the player who took it, "Next time try that wee dinky yin we dae in training". A minute later they got another corner. The same player took it and nearly hit the opposite corner flag with his effort. An Arbroath punter in the stand then shouted, "Heh Lambie, was that the wee dinky yin"? The look that the guy got from Lambie was priceless.

I think he means the "Heid". :))
Got my scum characters mixed up. I honestly don't keep an eye on them too much and rarely read threads about them. Knew one was The Thumb and one was The Heid. Have fixed this.

PUBLIC APOLOGY TO MR GARY CALDWELL: Follow Follow would like to apologise to Mr Gary Caldwell and his family for mixing him up with an individual who is in the Scottish football top tier filth category alongside Tommy Burns, Anthony Stokes, Paulo Di Canio, Kevin O'Donnell and Craig Thomson. This was caused by two bheggars with mental looking domes being around at the same time and me almost never watching or reading about them. To avoid future confusion we will use the name Gary LOLdwell when referring to the current Partick Thistle manager and future, as in next week perhaps, Sportsound 'Expert'. As Rangers fans we apologise for everything. Ever. We might as well. We get f*cking blamed for it.

The pacific quay mob seem to like thistle as they have been on most fridays since the league season has started.

Got my scum characters mixed up. I honestly don't keep an eye on them too much and rarely read threads about them. Knew one was The Thumb and one was The Heid. Have fixed this.

PUBLIC APOLOGY TO MR GARY CALDWELL: Follow Follow would like to apologise to Mr Gary Caldwell and his family for mixing him up with an individual who is in the Scottish football top tier filth category alongside Tommy Burns, Anthony Stokes, Paulo Di Canio, Kevin O'Donnell and Craig Thomson. This was caused by two bheggars with mental looking domes being around at the same time and me almost never watching or reading about them. To avoid future confusion we will use the name Gary LOLdwell when referring to the current Partick Thistle manager and future, as in next week perhaps, Sportsound 'Expert'. As Rangers fans we apologise for everything. Ever. We might as well. We get f*cking blamed for it.
wcwvooF.gif

Can anyone who purposefully tunes in to watch Arbroath v Thistle, especially on that channel, really claim to 'like' football?
Yes I can.always look out for the results of the four angus teams and I’ll probably watch the game tonight.gayfield was the first ground I went to a rangers game.

Typical Scottish football, not thinking of the fans (I know tv has a say but surely BBC aren't paying a huge sum for this). Glasgow team travel to Arbroath for a Friday night game not long after Morton travel to inverness for a Fri night game. Amateur organisation.

This half time coverage is a car crash.

Who’s the bird? Got the air of a school concert about it

Good piece there on Bobby linn shows the commitment of part time players.my old Man worked beside loads of forfar players as they were given jobs in the building firm he worked for as the owner was chairman at forfar.Archie Knox worked in the architects office when he was player-manager at forfar

Back