Back Pages Friday's Back Pages - 20 images

How’s that for a juxtaposition.

The bold Kenny displaying one of the most sought after football shirts whilst wearing a “Sex drugs and sausage rolls” jumper.

Another myth busted. Someone on here was claiming Raskin was “clearly a Beale signing” and Wilson wasn't due credit for it. Beale has confirmed there that the name was put to him.

Every time we have good result the opposition lie down, but Victim FC play scintillating football when they win.

Propaganda by the Scottish press. They are relentless but then who's going to challenge them? Even the uproar over the McCann comment is just another sly way to pit us against one of our own. I hope this doesnt affect Neil's support for Rangers. McCann is a good man and one of us.

Kenneth Ward flogging that dead horse to pieces.
I read his "article".
Describes Ryan Jack's reaction to Nicky Clark's challenge as "writhing on the turf in apparent agony"
( didn't mention the St Johnstone player later "writhing on the turf in apparent agony" in fact didn't mention him at all. Apparent you say ?

I'm old so my short term memory is suspect but as I recall it, as I only watched it online;

Willie Collum did not flash the yellow card at Clark and neither did he consult the pitchside monitor on that occasion. Nor did he rescind that yellow card and flash a red instead.
I believe the picture accompanying the "article" shows Willie Collum at the VAR monitor to review the subsequent Ryan Jack yellow card incident.

The "article" also mentions the discussion between Richard Foster and Stuart Dougal, I ask you would you rather listen to the ex-Grade 1 referee on the subject of IFAB Laws of the Game or Richard Foster?

Seems like another puff piece to suit the victim eastenders.

Thanks for posting anyway Mark.

Last edited:
In other "articles" relating to VAR I don't see an outcry about the boy Kuol landing a very late one on Borna on Wednesday night. Looked like a yellow card offence at the least.

Ward's "article" at first looks like a reasonable take on the VAR situation in Scotland, but for every point he makes there's a simple rebuttal.
For example, although there are complaints about the time it sometimes takes for VAR to decide, isn't it better to take your time if necessary, and get it right ??
Wasn't this the whole problem before VAR ? That everything was rushed (and often incorrect) and that there was no actual proper analysis of what had gone on ?

Then there's reference to a discussion on "BBC's Sportscene programme" -- no offence, but we've just seen a perfect example from Reynolds the other day of why ex-players can be so wrong it's laughable.

Ward states that Collum had watched the Clark incident "with a perfect view" and that he was "persuaded" to turn yellow into red by " ... a second look from different angles ..."
Yet this is somehow wrong ????
Surely that's the whole point of VAR -- to allow the ref to look again at an incident and perhaps see if there's more (or less) to something.
And that's what Collum did -- he used the "different angles" to see how bad the tackle from Clark was, contrary to what he'd initially thought from his "perfect view".

I also love the phrase that "it undermines the role referees play in the sport".
Indeed. That's not for VAR to do, that's Celtc's prerogative.

Finally, "The SFA's implementation of VAR is having reputational damage on the Scottish Premiership."
Absolute guff.
The Scottish Premiership has been damaged for years by bias, diving, cheating, and most especially the blind eyes turned to elbows, kicks, and career-threatening assaults.

If VAR can address any of these negative aspects entrenched in the Scottish game, it will be well worth bearing with.

Ward's "article" at first looks like a reasonable take on the VAR situation in Scotland, but for every point he makes there's a simple rebuttal.
For example, although there are complaints about the time it sometimes takes for VAR to decide, isn't it better to take your time if necessary, and get it right ??
Wasn't this the whole problem before VAR ? That everything was rushed (and often incorrect) and that there was no actual proper analysis of what had gone on ?

Then there's reference to a discussion on "BBC's Sportscene programme" -- no offence, but we've just seen a perfect example from Reynolds the other day of why ex-players can be so wrong it's laughable.

Ward states that Collum had watched the Clark incident "with a perfect view" and that he was "persuaded" to turn yellow into red by " ... a second look from different angles ..."
Surely that's the whole point of VAR -- to allow the ref to look again at an incident and perhaps see if there's more (or less) to something.
And that's what Collum did -- he used the "different angles" to see how bad the tackle from Clark was, contrary to what he'd initially thought from his "perfect view".

I also love the phrase that "it undermines the role referees play in the sport".

Finally, "The SFA's implementation of VAR is having reputational damage on the Scottish Premiership."
Absolute guff.
The Scottish Premiership has been damaged for years by bias, diving, cheating, and most especially the blind eyes turned to elbows, kicks, and career-threatening assaults.

If VAR can address any of these negative aspects entrenched in the Scottish game, it will be well worth bearing with.
Pure cringe - the referees' role in the sport was undermined by as yet still unknown persons attached to the SFA days after the match in question.

What's going on with Kenneth Ward. He's managed to get everything wrong in that article. Thinks Collum called Nicky Clarks foul a yellow and spends the whole article slaughtering VAR on the basis of his flawed knowledge.

Absolute guff.

"...he was "persuaded" to turn yellow into red by " ... a second look from different angles ..."

As I recall it Collum did not consult the pitch side monitor in this instance.

"...he was "persuaded" to turn yellow into red by " ... a second look from different angles ..."

As I recall it Collum did not consult the pitch side monitor in this instance.

That's what I thought. Sure they complained that he didnt 'bother' to look at it again. He didnt need to. I think the VAR panel must have confirmed he got it right. Isnt that how its supposed to work?

Propaganda by the Scottish press. They are relentless but then who's going to challenge them? Even the uproar over the McCann comment is just another sly way to pit us against one of our own. I hope this doesnt affect Neil's support for Rangers. McCann is a good man and one of us.
One of us doesnt make personal remarks like he did against Morelos for nothing he knew he was reaching an audience which would jump on that,he should have kept his personal attack to himself,talking about a player you patently don't like which Mcann has alluded to on many an occasion is one thing but he stepped over the line on this,I have no doubt his rtv career will be over soon.

Pure cringe - the referees' role in the sport was undermined by as yet still unknown persons attached to the SFA days after the match in question.
This ^^^.

THIS is what the journos should be (quite rightly) querying.

What's the point in having VAR if it can be SO easily overturned by what are almost certainly completely unqualified (but definitely "interested") parties.

One of us doesnt make personal remarks like he did against Morelos for nothing he knew he was reaching an audience which would jump on that,he should have kept his personal attack to himself,talking about a player you patently don't like which Mcann has alluded to on many an occasion is one thing but he stepped over the line on this,I have no doubt his rtv career will be over soon.
If they could allow Kevin Thomson back on RTV ater he stuck up for his pal Broon at Pittodrie last January, I'd imagine McCann will be safe.

However, this should not detract from the bizarre nature of McCann's remarks. Still trying to get my head round them.

He made a daft remark and should have known the press would use this to set bears against each other. You've swallowed the hook and now you want McCann's RTV career over. Job done.

Back