Frimpong leaving Celtic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fee was described strangely on Reporting Scotland earlier:

Went along the lines of "Celtc desribed the deal as adequate" or words to that effect. Never heard that from a selling club never mind them, who normally try to big it up as much aspossible.

Sorry mate but there are many different views on him for a reason.

I saw him live in the league cup final and I thought he looked a boy playing man's football and not ready. Said as much at the time. Felt he was caught up the park a lot and always played safe when he got it. He was eventually sent off for being completely wrong side of Morelos and panicing.

I thought he may get better. If anything he has looked even worse in the old firm games since admittedly watching them on the tele.

I genuinely think he is rotten with very limited potential. Once his speed dips around 25 then he will be in trouble.

He isn't Anton Rogan either but you're allowed to make a genuine assessment of him being not very good.
Fair enough, but he’s 20 years old. Like I said he’s clearly no world beater but he’s no diddy either. Better players than him have been done by Morelos, and I’ve seen our own captain caught out defensively countless times in his Rangers career, does it mean he’s a diddy? It just seems over the top that’s all.

And who starts to lose their pace at 25? I’ve never seen that happen unless it’s been players who’ve suffered recurring muscle injuries like Owen and the like.

Why we wet our pants over fees they may or may not get for their players is beyond me....as is the obsession with if they get X amount for him then our player is worth double.

Trust me the Daily Record and Radio Clyde don't influence what clubs will pay for players.

He's 20 and has pace and ability-currently I think he has contributed massively to their erratic play as he leaves them wide open and has a very low return on the final ball. However could good coaching and development make a player of him? It's possible but for me he's a key reason why they've blew up this season and Lennon's inability to address the disjointed nature of their play this season has been fatal to them....they do however in amongst the mess have players of genuine ability-they just imploded.

At this stage it's hardly bad news a player wanting away from them...won't be the last.

Fair enough, but he’s 20 years old. Like I said he’s clearly no world beater but he’s no diddy either. Better players than him have been done by Morelos, and I’ve seen our own captain caught out defensively countless times in his Rangers career, does it mean he’s a diddy? It just seems over the top that’s all.

And who starts to lose their pace at 25? I’ve never seen that happen unless it’s been players who’ve suffered recurring muscle injuries like Owen and the like.

A lot of players pace starts to go mid twenties mate. Obviously it may be 25, it may be 27 but even the very top players have it happen to them and have to adapt- your Owens, Giggs, Torres, etc.

Maybe some of it is over the top but I genuinely think the boy is pretty poor in most aspects of his game. I have no trouble admitting Celtic have or had good players btw.

Just really don't see anything in this boy at all. And as I say, I said it at the time and have continued to say it so I've not just came out with it today.

A lot of players pace starts to go mid twenties mate. Obviously it may be 25, it may be 27 but even the very top players have it happen to them and have to adapt- your Owens, Giggs, Torres, etc.

Maybe some of it is over the top but I genuinely think the boy is pretty poor in most aspects of his game. I have no trouble admitting Celtic have or had good players btw.

Just really don't see anything in this boy at all. And as I say, I said it at the time and have continued to say it so I've not just came out with it today.

Torres and Owen both suffered various muscle injuries that hindered their bodies long term and took their pace away. Fit players don’t lose their pace at 25, it’s more likely to happen at about 30.

Frimpong is clearly a defensive liability, he leaves them wide open at the back. But I think he’s got a bit to offer in an attacking sense and at that age there’s genuine scope for players to improve. I just think people let the club he plays for blind them at times, I mean there’s countless people still claiming Tierney’s a diddy while he has a great season for a shite Arsenal team. Maybe it’s unstaunch to look at these things objectively though.

Torres and Owen both suffered various muscle injuries that hindered their bodies long term and took their pace away. Fit players don’t lose their pace at 25, it’s more likely to happen at about 30.

Frimpong is clearly a defensive liability, he leaves them wide open at the back. But I think he’s got a bit to offer in an attacking sense and at that age there’s genuine scope for players to improve. I just think people let the club he plays for blind them at times, I mean there’s countless people still claiming Tierney’s a diddy while he has a great season for a shite Arsenal team. Maybe it’s unstaunch to look at these things objectively though.

I did say in my previous post that 25 was maybe a bit early but it's pretty well known for most players to lose that explosive pace mate. Sometimes this is down to muscle injuries which are often a result of being so fast.

Tierney is an excellent footballer. I don't see anything in Frimpong though. Never have. Respect you have your opinion on him though.

I think he's been poor for them this season for the reasons I stated above but he had one run in the last OF game where he went by nearly our whole team-so he's clearly got ability.

Some players have fantastic pace and ability and no final ball-he may or may not be one or potentially you could take the raw ability and convert into something pretty good. He's not going to Falkirk he's going to a club who will give him a much better chance to develop.

Definitely looks like a panic sale to start balancing the books quick.
No big speculation for months to attract bidders, apparently he wanted away, looks like he was told to go get a club quick and we’ll get a few ££ in pronto.

And he won’t be the only 1 out the door this month.
Flopp said that this had been ongoing for 5 or 6 weeks. They've been offered 10m euro 5 or 6 weeks ago, haven't blabbed it to all and sundry and sold at 00.01 on 1st Jan? Don't think so.

I did say in my previous post that 25 was maybe a bit early but it's pretty well known for most players to lose that explosive pace mate. Sometimes this is down to muscle injuries which are often a result of being so fast.

Tierney is an excellent footballer. I don't see anything in Frimpong though. Never have. Respect you have your opinion on him though.
Frimpong started as a fast runner outside the fullback,
teams got a bit wise to it, and moved him inside and he had to turn back or pass it on.

I think he's been poor for them this season for the reasons I stated above but he had one run in the last OF game where he went by nearly our whole team-so he's clearly got ability.

Some players have fantastic pace and ability and no final ball-he may or may not be one or potentially you could take the raw ability and convert into something pretty good. He's not going to Falkirk he's going to a club who will give him a much better chance to develop.

That's fair enough mate. Every professional footballer has ability. I genuinely kept a close eye on him in the league cup final as he had not long broken into their team and was getting huge hype. He was right in front of me in the first half and I genuinely thought he looked like he didn't have anything about him that was special which at 19 wasn't surprising. He has done nothing since then to change my mind.

As I say I thought Tierney was a cracking left back, although not worth 25m, so I've not problem saying they have good players but, with Frimpong, I genuinely don't see it.

His stats tend to support my view. I'm not so sure he will develop to anything like a top player as every facet of his game is lacking other than being quick. So much so, I don't even think he should be a full back. He is weak physically, which can be developed, but this comes at a potential cost to his pace. He is poor on the ball, gets caught up the park, never beats a man and gets beaten to the line and ballwatches often. Certainly against the better teams which is all ive seen him.

Others are entitled to their own view of course

A talented sprinter with zero defensive awareness and a poor final ball.
Maybe with some proper coaching he could go on to be a decent player but certainly not worth near the figures being quoted

I hope our club is watching these fee's if anyone club shows interest in our players

£10m for a bit part player who can't defend or put a cross in. Incredible business

I hope our fans are watching closely too. It’s jarring seeing them punt half decent players for healthy fees and then watch our own fans turn around and declare they’d be satisfied with £10m for Morelos.

He's surely one of their more sellable players - young, premium position, junior internationalist with the Netherlands, senior level European competition experience.

Maybe this means they're not getting offers for those also on the way out such as Édouard and Ajar, as prospective buyers are content to wait a little longer and get them on a free transfer.

Trying to be as honest as possible I would not be paying anymore than £1-2M and that’s only for his possible potential!!
This.
Look, you bought this guy for £350k . He is now no better. We will give you your money back?
OK we'll give you the Man City 30% as well. Deal or no deal?
The situation is only because the natives are becoming restless.

Last edited:
Reminds me of a young Aaron Lennon at Spurs, fast skilful but absolutely no end product.

If Leverkusen can work on his crossing and bring him on a bit then he'll be a decent attacking full back. I'd be amazed if they've paid more than 3 mill for him given the development work they need to do.

According to the article linked below statistically most players peak around the the age of 24-28, obviously there will be outliers who peak later or earlier but that is the general trend.

Personally, I'm glad they get rid of anyone with potential.

He has pace and he can beat a man, he just hasn't been coached on what to do with it.

If they got rid of that clueless %^*& and put in someone who could actually get them working, then Frimpong could've been something that they could use as a fulcrum of the team.

If they had someone competent, they could've shielded his weaknesses and made his strengths a weapon, just like we have converted Tav's attacking intent from something that was a complete defensive liability into something that scares the %^*& out of every team in the league.

Instead, they're probably going to bring in O'Donnell on a god-knows how many year contract.

Raise a beer people, this is good news.

Fvcking hell. £11 million (German press) for a guy they bought for £500,000. How do they do it??? The guy even looks a £500,000 Player ffs.
They will spend a tiny fraction of that fee and bring in O'Donnell. Not a great Player but way better defender than Frimpawn.
Lawell doesn’t have a club about finding a decent player or manager or any other football business but there’s no doubting he’s a very astute businessman and for most of his tenure they have been well run and he can clearly negotiate

But surely you buy on the evidence of the pish he is in the present day.

It's up to you to coach him and bring him on, not the other way about.

WTF is happening to this website?

Rangers fans wanting to see crap at the scum hut get better and go for a good price?

My bam is boozled.
I don’t think he said anything like that and you’re looking for something that necessarily isn’t there

This is more like it

German media report rising to to 10m Euro which includes his 4 year contract of 1m Euro per year. The fee is 6m Euro which is £5.3m of which Celtic will receive £3.7m
So its £3.7m to them, that should be about enough to pay of Neic and his team.
Imo even that amount is more than fair for a pacey full back with little game nous.

Watch tierney's crosses. Time after time they land on or about the pen spot.

Fvcking hell. £11 million (German press) for a guy they bought for £500,000. How do they do it??? The guy even looks a £500,000 Player ffs.
They will spend a tiny fraction of that fee and bring in O'Donnell. Not a great Player but way better defender than Frimpawn.
O’Donnell is absolute dug meat mate

also any fee is going towards the losses for this season it won’t be spent on players

and 11m will be if he plays 200 games scores the winner in the cl final and World Cup final in the same season

I hope our club is watching these fee's if anyone club shows interest in our players

£10m for a bit part player who can't defend or put a cross in. Incredible business
It’s fantasy
On BHBC news last night Celtic said they had accepted a”robust” offer for the player
Pet poodles in the press and the jokers at PLZ soccer are the ones quoting 10 to 12 million
Ps Man City have a 30 per cent sell on clause

This is more like it

German media report rising to to 10m Euro which includes his 4 year contract of 1m Euro per year. The fee is 6m Euro which is £5.3m of which Celtic will receive £3.7m
Where’s saying that? Can’t see any of the usual German outlets saying that. They are all using the Daily Record as source

This is more like it

Ah that makes sense if true. In all honesty I was thinking they have scouted the wrong player. Even at those figures (Half what our MSM are reporting) they have done well with a player who would be better suited to a running track.

And remember they have paid out 350k plus 650k on appearances clause.

So they have made 2.7m minus his wages paid to date and it is not exactly the massive return that is being portrayed.

I think there's a good point in the lack of improvement/development this player and how our players appear to have developed....even someone like Itten who hasn't featured much looks like he is being coached to adapt to our style.
Exactly. Frimpong hasn't improved one iota since he 1st burst on the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back