From the annual report - Average season ticket price is £383

luckywhitefeather

Finally getting chance to have read through the report and this figure stands out.

I’ve harped on about this before, but the OAP /Senior price for particularly the main stand and Sandy Jardine stands has to be looked at when we are constrained with the size of the stadium , competing against tims revenue spend

An older ageing population , people living years longer, there will need to be some additional qualification put into qualifying for a senior discount (such as number of years as MyGers / Season ticket holder (bit like years worked to qualify for full state pension) , shouldn’t automatically just click over if you’ve only had a seat for a couple years in prime position (& no evidence of contributing beforehand)

I hope the club are seriously looking at the age makeup of those that sit in main stand and Sandy jardine and those wishing to move into those stands & the age qualifications

It may seem tight / folk will say they’ve put money into the club all their days….but have they really? Continuously? Or just came back to football once stopped working / family all left home?

Are you suggesting that senior supporters, some that have followed Rangers for longer than we’ve been on the planet, pay full price? I paid £760 for GR4 this season, this would suggest that average prices even out throughout the ground. The mature bears have earned their discount.

I’m counting down the days until I’m a concession. Always look after your own.

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that senior supporters, some that have followed Rangers for longer than we’ve been on the planet, pay full price? I paid £760 for GR4 this season, The mature bears have earned their discount.

I’m counting down the days until I’m a concession.
How do you know they have supported financially all their days?
How many stopped going in their twenties / had family / work commitment and then weren’t seen again until decades later, they then get prime seat in main stand a couple years before their pension age…then it’s cut price for however many years / decades. Is that scenario fair?

Club needs to protect itself and the value of the seat

That’s up there with the biggest pile of shit I’ve ever read on here.
You do know Fat Bastard Ashley got his arse kicked out the door a few years back don’t you!

Get yourself down to the Louden for the next OAP get together and tell the auld boys what grand plans you have for them, What a wanker of a thing to say!

How many stopped going in their twenties / had family / work commitment and then weren’t seen again until decades later, they then get prime seat in main stand a couple years before their pension age…then it’s cut price for however many years / decades. Is that scenario fair?

Probabilities are they have follow followed for decades imo but ur right to say I don’t have statistics .

Rangers will though

Mate, they can’t milk anymore out of us in the ‘premier’ seats.

I’m over £1500 for me and my boy in GR4, not including CCCS. Senior citizens, regardless of whether they have earned their discount, deserve it.

The board need to think of other ways of increasing revenue. Constantly hammering ST holders will blow up in their face. Personally, I know 3 folk that sit beside me thst have cancelled CCCS this year due to the boards greed over ticketing prices.

Tbf you can't really punish people for life getting in the way. Money can be tight for a lot of people and if it comes down to making sure that the kids get properly clothed fed and can hang about with their pals, a lot of people would begrudgingly sacrifice their season ticket. Doesn't mean that they want to, even using your example you could have someone that's had their ST from 20 to 40 then chucks it for 20 years until they have more disposable cash again. They've still contributed to buying a season ticket for near enough half of their adult life.

Probabilities are they have follow followed for decades imo but ur right to say I don’t have statistics .

Rangers will though
Yes, that’s my point ( a benefit of mygers done the line with better attendance / history records keeping) if folk have paid their dues.

I’m sure eventually, & however hard hearted / mean it sounds, the club will need to bring in qualifications / disclaimer as to when / whom a concession will be granted by the club / and probably be a percentage allowed in certain key seating areas

Yes, that’s my point ( a benefit of mygers done the line with better attendance / history records keeping) if folk have paid their dues.

I’m sure eventually, & however hard hearted / mean it sounds, the club will need to bring in qualifications / disclaimer as to when / whom a concession will be granted by the club / and probably be a percentage allowed in certain key seating areas
Limiting the spaces won’t be an option IMO. Linking the age to qualify for a concession to the UK retirement age would probably be more palatable.

People don't suddenly become Rangers fans 2 years before they retire.Most have been fans since they were old enough to know about football and they will have been introduced to Rangers by their parents or more likely their Dad.There may be occasions when you can't for whatever reason go as often as you would like.When I started going to games in the late 60s and ST holders were very much in the minority.Older fans deserve the discount having followed through thick and thin and brought their kids up the right way and introduced a new generation to our Club.Who knows what the future holds and there may be a time when you can't attend games but that shouldn't stop you getting a discount when you become an old Bear.

Your plan would only come into affect when season tickets were introduced.
Most of us old codgers have been going for a long time before that and pay at the gate doesn't leave a record of attendance.
Yes, I've missed games due to working away when younger but I've also had about a ten year spell of paying for two season tickets for my boys,do I get any bonus points for that in your plan?

Mate, they can’t milk anymore out of us in the ‘premier’ seats.

I’m over £1500 for me and my boy in GR4, not including CCCS. Senior citizens, regardless of whether they have earned their discount, deserve it.

The board need to think of other ways of increasing revenue. Constantly hammering ST holders will blow up in their face. Personally, I know 3 folk that sit beside me thst have cancelled CCCS this year due to the boards greed over ticketing prices.
Tbf you can't really punish people for life getting in the way. Money can be tight for a lot of people and if it comes down to making sure that the kids get properly clothed fed and can hang about with their pals, a lot of people would begrudgingly sacrifice their season ticket. Doesn't mean that they want to, even using your example you could have someone that's had their ST from 20 to 40 then chucks it for 20 years until they have more disposable cash again. They've still contributed to buying a season ticket for near enough half of their adult life.
Look I get it , it’s an emotive subject , I’m the cold hearted bastard / Gordon gecko whose brought it up!

Reality is now not unusual for people to live and be fit and active into their 80s/90s and that number will continue

It’s a supply and demand issue versus the commercial reality of rangers needing to maximise revenue.

Can the club really afford to discount prime seats for say 25/ 30yrs based on historical attitude towards what a pensioner has ‘earned’ / contributed to rangers football club without some form of qualification / history of financial contribution before that by the person.

If stadium capacity wasn’t an issue, it’s a minor problem , but as time goes on, I’ll be amazed if cost analysis on this isn’t being seriously looked at, but I’m sure directors will be trying not to be bad guy / raise it until they have too

Finally getting chance to have read through the report and this figure stands out.

I’ve harped on about this before, but the OAP /Senior price for particularly the main stand and Sandy Jardine stands has to be looked at when we are constrained with the size of the stadium , competing against tims revenue spend

An older ageing population , people living years longer, there will need to be some additional qualification put into qualifying for a senior discount (such as number of years as MyGers / Season ticket holder (bit like years worked to qualify for full state pension) , shouldn’t automatically just click over if you’ve only had a seat for a couple years in prime position (& no evidence of contributing beforehand)

I hope the club are seriously looking at the age makeup of those that sit in main stand and Sandy jardine and those wishing to move into those stands & the age qualifications

It may seem tight / folk will say they’ve put money into the club all their days….but have they really? Continuously? Or just came back to football once stopped working / family all left home?
So basically I’ve had my season ticket since 1986 and I’ve now to give it up because I turn 65 on my next birthday and would qualify for a concession season ticket after 37 years of paying full price

Look I get it , it’s an emotive subject , I’m the cold hearted bastard / Gordon gecko whose brought it up!

Reality is now not unusual for people to live and be fit and active into their 80s/90s and that number will continue

It’s a supply and demand issue versus the commercial reality of rangers needing to maximise revenue.

Can the club really afford to discount prime seats for say 25/ 30yrs based on historical attitude towards what a pensioner has ‘earned’ / contributed to rangers football club without some form of qualification / history of financial contribution before that by the person.

If stadium capacity wasn’t an issue, it’s a minor problem , but as time goes on, I’ll be amazed if cost analysis on this isn’t being seriously looked at, but I’m sure directors will be trying not to be bad guy / raise it until they have too
Stadium capacity isn’t a problem mate? You can pick up tickets easily out with Scum and European games.

So basically I’ve had my season ticket since 1986 and I’ve now to give it up because I turn 65 on my next birthday and would qualify for a concession season ticket after 37 years of paying full price
No, if you’ve had the same season for all those years / the club have record of it, then you will have earned recognition for it.

There will need to be some qualifying standard / background rather than just birth certificate for automatic discount.

Club will maybe need to think of ring fencing certain number of seats / weigh up when people make season transfer requests

People don't suddenly become Rangers fans 2 years before they retire.Most have been fans since they were old enough to know about football and they will have been introduced to Rangers by their parents or more likely their Dad.There may be occasions when you can't for whatever reason go as often as you would like.When I started going to games in the late 60s and ST holders were very much in the minority.Older fans deserve the discount having followed through thick and thin and brought their kids up the right way and introduced a new generation to our Club.Who knows what the future holds and there may be a time when you can't attend games but that shouldn't stop you getting a discount when you become an old Bear.
I see what your saying but on the other side of that / No offence to the older fans , but as a general comment , If look at the attendance figures in the 70s and particularly early 80s a lot of folk obviously weren’t at the games, weren’t contributing to the club and didn’t for a good number of years until David Holmes got souness

Ridiculous post. Grudging pensioners getting a discount on their seat especially in the current climate. The old boy next to me has been going longer than I’ve been alive. That’s a prime seat but even if it wasn’t the reduced fee should stand regardless of location of the seat

No, if you’ve had the same season for all those years / the club have record of it, then you will have earned recognition for it.

There will need to be some qualifying standard / background rather than just birth certificate for automatic discount.

Club will maybe need to think of ring fencing certain number of seats / weigh up when people make season transfer requests
Perhaps the club should also get rid of those season ticket holders who don’t sign up for all non league and friendly games - is that how it works pick out a section of support that you think doesn’t contribute enough money to the club based on what they sign up for?

See even I can play silly games

I know a good number of season ticket holders who qualify for the concession and some of them have been going since I first got on the local supporters bus as a kid back in the early 70's.

I myself am approaching that age and, although I missed a couple of years due to work commitments, have been a regular for about 50 years and in all that time I can't think of anyone who suddenly started attending when they hit 62/63 years old. I'm not saying that there is no one who fits into that description but my experience over many years is that the older guys who are going along have generally been going for years.

If, however, you think that they are costing the club too much then why don't we increase the price of the younger, and presumably employed, fans season ticket to offset the cost of the concession. That way the club doesn't lose anything due to giving the senior citizens a discount as its covered by other fans.

On second thoughts that would just be ridiculous.

The OP has a point, but just made it in a slightly clumsy manner. The reality is that if we want to compete with that mob, we are already trailing due to limited ground capacity and season ticket numbers.

The OP has a point, but just made it in a slightly clumsy manner. The reality is that if we want to compete with that mob, we are already trailing due to limited ground capacity and season ticket numbers.
Our capacity is about 9k less than the filth. Their stadium is 3/4 full every other week. We have the most expensive tickets in Scotland.

The board needs to investigate other ways of maximising income, they can’t continue to plunder our bank accounts.

I once read that the definition of a civilised nation is determined by their attitude and treatment of pensioners.
Japan was used as an example of how a nation respects their senior citizens.

Can't believe we have one of our own asking OAPs to prove how long/how much they have contributed to the club so they can retain their seat. :(

There is a valid point to be made here, but not specifically by focusing on a specific section of the support (that could be one of many areas for exploration). The point I'd focus on is simply looking at the revenue generated from match day income.

Match day revenue accounts for almost 50% of our total revenue. It is currently our single biggest revenue stream for generating funds to reinvest in the club (i.e. the playing staff). And even with maximising the number of European fixtures that we could draw revenue from last season, it was still less than what Celtic generated, even though they had a much earlier exit from Europe.

"Rangers £41.9m match day income remained the second highest in the Premiership, below Celtic’s £43.1m" (Swiss Ramble)

In the 2019 and 2020 seasons, with reasonable European performances, our total revenue for match day income was £32M and £35.7M. Assuming an increased £36M is a fair estimate for ongoing match day revenue (without runs to European finals) then we are still at a disadvantage of approximately £7M in revenue per season to Celtic. This is primarily due to an approximate 11,000 lower attendance.

"Rangers average attendance in 2021/22 was 45,314, nearly 11,000 less than Celtic 56,177." (Swiss Ramble)

It would be interesting to hear views of the support whether we'd be willing to pay more for tickets, if it bridged this financial gap? £7M is a substantial financial advantage in Scottish football (almost 10% of total revenue).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting the only suggestion to raising revenue is through the match going supporter. I agree that the club should continue to improve our commercial and player trading streams for revenue, as well as other areas.
However, no matter what the club do in these areas, we are at a disadvantage whilst we have a lower volume of tickets sold on average per match, and lower prices for tickets.

According to Statista, in 2019-2020 our cheapest adult season ticket price was £372, whilst Hibs (£385) and Celtic (£456) were higher.

Would we as a support be willing to pay more for tickets, if it meant closing the gap to what Celtic generate from ticket sales? Or are we content that, for the near future, we are satisfied with ticket prices in the knowledge that we are financially disadvantaged in this area to what our main competitor is?

There is a valid point to be made here, but not specifically by focusing on a specific section of the support (that could be one of many areas for exploration). The point I'd focus on is simply looking at the revenue generated from match day income.

Match day revenue accounts for almost 50% of our total revenue. It is currently our single biggest revenue stream for generating funds to reinvest in the club (i.e. the playing staff). And even with maximising the number of European fixtures that we could draw revenue from last season, it was still less than what Celtic generated, even though they had a much earlier exit from Europe.

"Rangers £41.9m match day income remained the second highest in the Premiership, below Celtic’s £43.1m" (Swiss Ramble)

In the 2019 and 2020 seasons, with reasonable European performances, our total revenue for match day income was £32M and £35.7M. Assuming an increased £36M is a fair estimate for ongoing match day revenue (without runs to European finals) then we are still at a disadvantage of approximately £7M in revenue per season to Celtic. This is primarily due to an approximate 11,000 lower attendance.

"Rangers average attendance in 2021/22 was 45,314, nearly 11,000 less than Celtic 56,177." (Swiss Ramble)

It would be interesting to hear views of the support whether we'd be willing to pay more for tickets, if it bridged this financial gap? £7M is a substantial financial advantage in Scottish football (almost 10% of total revenue).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting the only suggestion to raising revenue is through the match going supporter. I agree that the club should continue to improve our commercial and player trading streams for revenue, as well as other areas.
However, no matter what the club do in these areas, we are at a disadvantage whilst we have a lower volume of tickets sold on average per match, and lower prices for tickets.

According to Statista, in 2019-2020 our cheapest adult season ticket price was £372, whilst Hibs (£385) and Celtic (£456) were higher.

Would we as a support be willing to pay more for tickets, if it meant closing the gap to what Celtic generate from ticket sales? Or are we content that, for the near future, we are satisfied with ticket prices in the knowledge that we are financially disadvantaged in this area to what our main competitor is?
All valid points, however, there’s only so much blood you can get from a stone. Im currently paying £760 x 2 for me and my son . Champions league pricing has pushed me towards breaking point. Our pricing has peaked. Speaking to guys around me, CCCS has been cancelled due to the cost of tickets and the cost of living crisis.

I’m fortunate as I can afford it, however, any significant increase next season and CCCS will be cancelled. We also pay a ST tax with mygers, a complete rip off. I’ve had 1 away ticket this season, will probably get 2, 3 at a push a season.

Never take this wonderful support for granted. Loyalty is a 2 way street.

We need to actually identify whether or not it is a problem first. I imagine that just as many older fans fall away from attending as do younger ones. Does the club see the same attrition rate of older fans gradually being replaced with younger fans or is that slowing down? If it's not slowing down then this is a non-issue, but if guys are holding STs longer than they were 10/20/30 years ago then it could eventually become a problem.

Requiring people to have three to five seasons worth of ST history in the previous 10 before qualifying for a concession wouldn't seem outrageous to me. But I wouldn't want that rule introduced unless there was pretty robust evidence it was necessary.

The thing that strikes me with this “average price” is that we must have a fair amount of under 16 season ticket holders ? When you consider Club72 pay £2k plus per annum along with the Sandy Jardine Stand being around £700 a season.
It would be useful if the Accounts provided a demographic breakdown of season ticket numbers eg, Under 16, Concessions and Regular Price Season Tickets. I also understand there is an Under 18 category within the SJ stand.

Last edited:
Can’t agree with anything in the OP. I don’t think there will be many people getting the elderly concession that turned the required age and thought they would start going to the football as the season ticket was a few hundred less. For most of these people their income would have dropped by 50 or 75%.

To get to Ibrox would they have to stand in a separate queue at the bus stop to make sure all full price fares had a seat first.

The OP when his time comes could always donate his elderly discount to Erskine or just refuse to declare his age and pay full price.

What they should do is have stewards that GAF and stop people coming in on Children and concessions that shouldn’t be or make them go through a manned turnstile as we must lose thousands of not more every home game.

Back