From this day in 1999

My first European game.

Bossed Bayern for 89 minutes and lost an equaliser to a shabby deflection. That video obviously gives you no idea of just how dominant we were that night.

Charbonniers despairing attempt to save it is etched in my mind.

Was a cruel end to that game and for him, liked Charbonnier as a keeper
As did I. I've edited my post as I've now watched the video. It's just the goals basically. Gives you no insight into how much we battered a Bayern side littered with top class players, many of whom had played in the previous CL final just months earlier.

As did I. I've edited my post as I've now watched the video. It's just the goals basically. Gives you no insight into how much we battered a Bayern side littered with top class players, many of whom had played in the previous CL final just months earlier.

They were a vastly experienced side, young Barry running auld Lothar up the wall haha

Culminating in that sickener of an injury for Mols too. Such a bizarre season in that regard for both us and that lot in Europe that year, Larsson broke his leg the week before - both centre forwards out for the year
Always a what if that game mate

may not have won it but could have gone to the quarters or semis with a bit luck

Same
My first European game.

Bossed Bayern for 89 minutes and lost an equaliser to a shabby deflection. That video obviously gives you no idea of just how dominant we were that night.

Same for me.

Played brilliant. Bayern never had us under pressure at any time, they had just lost the Final in injury time a couple months previous.

The decision for the free kick was ridiculous where the Bayern player deliberately made contact with Numan going away from the ball to cause the contact.

Edit : Knew there was a reason I had an issue with referee Ryszard Wojcik - he sent Mark Hateley off against Brugge in 1993.

My first European game.

I left the ground raging at Charbonnier. It was only until I saw the game again that I noticed the deflection.

Played brilliant. Bayern never had us under pressure at any time, they had just lost the Final in injury time a couple months previous.

The decision for the free kick was ridiculous where the Bayern player deliberately made contact with Numan going away from the ball to cause the contact.
We played Bayern off the pitch in both games. Soft free kicks in both games (second being a penalty) compounded our inability to kill them off with the chances we created.

Just to add a really annoying random thing to this thread.

STV made a total mess of the broadcast of the away match in Munich the sound was out of sync by about 2 seconds so you knew all the chances hadnt gone in before we hit them. As if it wasnt agonising enough.

Some amount of misfortune Rangers had across both matches in the double header, have we seen worse ?

Last edited:
Ferguson would have been smashing in the Bundesliga.

Tore them and Leverkusen to shreds 12 months apart. Would certainly have been a better destination than Blackburn.

Klos got injured in the home leg against Parma. Played the second half in bottoms to hide the strapping on his knee.

We then had to sign Thomas Myhre after Charbonnier got injured.

Wasn't long after Niemi had went to Hearts as well, bad timing

agreed, it is hard to show much when you can only post 2 min videos, but we had some good chances and their 18 year old keeper had a fine match unfortunately

I think that's the most desperate I've ever seen a team play against us in Europe. Mattheus tried every dirty trick in the book against Bazza.

We really should've had the game put to bed cos they were all over the place.

ive never seen numan as angry as he was when the ref awarded them the free kick at Ibrox.

agreed, it is hard to show much when you can only post 2 min videos, but we had some good chances and their 18 year old keeper had a fine match unfortunately
Apologies if it sounded like a criticism. I appreciate the limitations.

Got a draw against one of the best teams in the world at the time and came out of Ibrox feeling worse than times we've lost, due to the nature of the equaliser and the performance that came before it.

My first European game. Bayern had lost in the CL final a few months before that and we bossed them all night only to conceed a real shite house of a goal.
Thought the place was gonna collapse when the hammer scored

ive never seen numan as angry as he was when the ref awarded them the free kick at Ibrox.
And bear in mind that includes him getting sent off in Graz after the ref told him to come back on the field.

From memory the tv doesnt show the freekick incident properly as whoever it was is actually barging jostling Numan and the balls played nearby but not towards.

Yep, a soft free kick for the kind of nothing offences’ that they had been playing for and getting all night.

I still get angry when I think of it now. We absolutely deserved to win both games v Bayern and ended up with a single point.

No justice whatsoever.

Some UCL groups we were handed back then, real quality and streetwise European teams

I hated that Bayern team, they always seemed to find a way to get a result and they were full of arrogant bastards with punchable faces. Peak Hollywood FC.

My first European game.

Played them off the park home and away. Got 1 point from 6.

Gutting

Was in the front row of the Copland that night - right where Albertz ran across to celebrate. At the end I was delighted with the performance, but the free kick going in was surreal from the angle I was at. It almost seemed like slow-motion after the deflection.

Yes I know v Bayern at home - but he was out on loan when Klos & Charbonnier were both injured and we had to sign Mhyre (loan) from Everton as cover near Xmas
That was a weird one. We actually got Myhre in November and Niemi was still there. He didn't go to Hearts until the end of the calendar year.

Klos came back in October, but got reinjured in mid-November, when we signed Myhre. I think Advocaat just didn't trust Niemi, although the Myhre signing was a mess, since we lost 3 of his 6 games.

That was a weird one. We actually got Myhre in November and Niemi was still there. He didn't go to Hearts until the end of the calendar year.

Klos came back in October, but got reinjured in mid-November, when we signed Myhre. I think Advocaat just didn't trust Niemi, although the Myhre signing was a mess, since we lost 3 of his 6 games.

I'm pretty sure Niemi was already out on loan which pushed the Myhre move, basically a call to Walter at Everton to help out

We played Bayern off the pitch in both games. Soft free kicks in both games (second being a penalty) compounded our inability to kill them off with the chances we created.
Tbf, the bayern keeper in germany really was the difference that night. His saves were ridiculous.

Niemi was at Charlton.

Back