From Youth Cup Final To The First Team

Steven Lennon.
Ross Perry.
John Fleck.
Dean Furman.
Andrew Shinnie.

I think they all played in the only one I've ever been to, a 5-0 thrashing for the Gers against the apprentice filth.

Last edited:
When was your first one Elf?

Mackay, Lewis MacLoed.

Derek Ferguson, Robert Fleck, Ian Durrant, Eric Ferguson.

Andy Little
Andy Shinnie
Bob Davidson
Bajram Fetai
Ross Perry
Dean Furman
Jordan McMillan
Charlie Adam
Robbie Crawford
Alan Lowing
Kyle Hutton
Jamie Ness
Rhys McCabe
Danny Wilson
Chris Burke
Stevie Smith
Aiden Wilson

Gregg Wylde
Kal Naismith
Kane Hemmings
Danny Stoney
Tom Walsh
Callum Gallagher
Kyle Mcausland
Andy Mitchell

Curveball - Billy King, played against us for Hearts

Gregg Wylde
Kal Naismith
Kane Hemmings
Danny Stoney
Tom Walsh
Callum Gallagher
Kyle Mcausland
Andy Mitchell

Curveball - Billy King, played against us for Hearts

Oh that opens another question :)

I only considered those that played for Rangers - Paul Ritchie also played against us for Hearts. Must be a couple more as well.

I'll post up a list in the morning and no doubt I will have missed somebody.

Reading the thread I though I'd missed Lewis McLeod but checked and he didn't feature in any finals.

He would have been 16 in 2011 and 19 in 2014.

Why wait till the morning

Some played in more than one final and I miscounted I think there are 69,

David McFarlane, Hugh Burns, Ian Durrant, Robert Fleck, Scott Nisbet, Neil Caldwell, Charlie Miller, Greg Shileds, Craig Moore, Scott Wilson, Brian McGinty, Steven Boyack, Barry Ferguson, Paul McKnight, Maurice Ross, Mark Brown, Bob Malcolm, David Graham, Darren Fitzgerald, Andy Dowie, Stephen Hughes, Daryll Duffy, Alan Hutton, Steven Smith, Chris Burke, Charlie Adam, Tom Brighton, Lee Robinson, Jordan McMillan, Gary McKenzie, Ross McCormack, Bob Davidson, Bajram Fetai, Scott Gallagher, Ross Perry, John Fleck, Andrew Shinnie, Stevie Lennon, Dean Furman, Andy Little, Jamie Ness, Thomas Kind Bendiksen, Kyle Hutton, Darren Cole, Gregg Wylde, Danny Wilson, Kal Naismith, Kane Hemmings, Rhys McCabe, Kyle McAusland, Chris Hegarty, Robbie Crawford, Andy Mitchell, Luca Gasparotto, Danny Stoney, Charlie Telfer, Andy Murdoch, Callum Gallagher, Barrie Mackay, Fraser Aird, Ryan Hardie, Ross McCrorie, Tom Walsh, Jordan Houston, Aidan Wilson, Jamie Barjonas, Serge Atakayi, Liam Burt, Kyle Bradley.

And I have probably missed somebody.

Did Peaso, Stephen Dobbie and Steven MacLean never make a Scottish Cup Final? Did Alex Walker not play in the final with Burke, Hutton, Duffy, Adam etc and then made one or two appearances? Know a fair few on that list and a load of them were top young players. Emphasises how hard it is to make a career at Rangers when so many talented boys never quite made the grade with us. I don’t think supporters appreciate how talented some of these kids are yet still haven’t been good enough to play in our first team for a sustained period.

Who would you rank as your top 10 from that list Elfideldo? I’d go for the following -

1. Ian Durrant ( should have been one of Scotland’s best of all time)
2. Barry Ferguson
3. Charlie Miller
4. Craig Moore
5. Stephen Hughes
6. Charlie Adam/Alan Hutton (made a mistake missing Hutton out!)
7. John Fleck
8. Robert Fleck
9. Steven Boyack
10. Bob Malcolm

I’m definitely biased towards some of the older generation as I grew up playing against some during the late 90’s early 00’s and knew about others from supporting the team from the 80’s onwards. People may be surprised by the inclusion of Bob Malcolm but having played against the big man I think people underestimate how talented a player he was. Bob was a very good footballer.

Did Peaso, Stephen Dobbie and Steven MacLean never make a Scottish Cup Final? Did Alex Walker not play in the final with Burke, Hutton, Duffy, Adam etc and then made one or two appearances? Know a fair few on that list and a load of them were top young players. Emphasises how hard it is to make a career at Rangers when so many talented boys never quite made the grade with us. I don’t think supporters appreciate how talented some of these kids are yet still haven’t been good enough to play in our first team for a sustained period.

Dado you found one I missed "Alex Walker", No 10 in 2002 final against Ayr United. When I looked at that lineup I was thinking "Johnny Walker" but he was much older than Alex, but was a midfielder where as Alex mainly played full-back.

Don't think they made a first team appearance but Peaso (1997 v Celtic) and Stephen Dobbie (2000 v Hearts), did play in youth cup finals.

Steven McLean suffered a serious injury at 16 and didn't feature in any finals.

Who would you rank as your top 10 from that list Elfideldo? I’d go for the following -

1. Ian Durrant ( should have been one of Scotland’s best of all time)
2. Barry Ferguson
3. Charlie Miller
4. Craig Moore
5. Stephen Hughes
6. Charlie Adam/Alan Hutton (made a mistake missing Hutton out!)
7. John Fleck
8. Robert Fleck
9. Steven Boyack
10. Bob Malcolm

I’m definitely biased towards some of the older generation as I grew up playing against some during the late 90’s early 00’s and knew about others from supporting the team from the 80’s onwards. People may be surprised by the inclusion of Bob Malcolm but having played against the big man I think people underestimate how talented a player he was. Bob was a very good footballer.

Don't think my list would be too much different - but the players i grew up playing against were way before the Youth Cup was even thought of !!

Danny Wilson would be in mine, Maurice Ross was outstanding at centre back but his height meant a move to full back where he wasn't quite at the same level. Scott Nisbet would have progressed to international level but for injury ( but played as a striker in 1984 final). Ross McCormack would be up there for what he achieved after he left.

I agree re Bob Malcolm, I seen a lot of him from about 15, at that time Rangers used Maryhill Juniors for U15/U16 games on Sundays. He was great passer of the ball but probably lacked a bit of pace.

Off topic slightly, but was their a complete stand out in any of these finals that you thought would be a stick on to make it but never?

Off topic slightly, but was their a complete stand out in any of these finals that you thought would be a stick on to make it but never?

I thought Peaso would have got a wee chance at first team level, but never.

Quality of first team squad was very strong at that time though right enough.

Off the top of my head there are two who played against us.

Kevin Thomas for Hearts in 1993 final was unplayable. Initially made an impact at Hearts playing around 50 games. The rest of his career totalled about the same at a lower level.

Celtic's Cillian Sheridan was a player Rangers struggled to cope with at youth level. He has had a nomadic career and playing in New Zealand now. Did gain a couple of caps for Ireland but was expected to achieve much more.

Off the top of my head there are two who played against us.

Kevin Thomas for Hearts in 1993 final was unplayable. Initially made an impact at Hearts playing around 50 games. The rest of his career totalled about the same at a lower level.

Celtic's Cillian Sheridan was a player Rangers struggled to cope with at youth level. He has had a nomadic career and playing in New Zealand now. Did gain a couple of caps for Ireland but was expected to achieve much more.

What about Rangers? With maybe the exception of Fleck who was always destined to 'make it'

What about Rangers? With maybe the exception of Fleck who was always destined to 'make it'

Apart from the obvious ones Andy Dowie and Jordan McMillan were very highly rated and probably seen as possible future Rangers captains. Both were pushed on at a young age but never made the progress expected.

Back