Fulham and QPR going up?

bilkobear

If they both manage to get a promotion and if Brentford and Palace retain their place in England's top league, this will ensure that London has eight teams in the top division, I am not counting Watford as a capital; side.
Has the capital ever managed to have as many sides in the top league in the past?

Will it reflect that investing in London sides is a wise move as attracting players to play in the capital from around the world is so much easier than getting them to move to the likes of Newcastle?

There was 8 before - 1989/90

Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, QPR, Charlton, Millwall, Wimbledon

Funny enough Fulham weren't there although the wee team from Fulham (Chelsea) were!!

EDIT - Forgot to say, QPR have a chance but Fulham are nailed on and will probably break post-war scoring records at the same time!

If they both manage to get a promotion and if Brentford and Palace retain their place in England's top league, this will ensure that London has eight teams in the top division, I am not counting Watford as a capital; side.
Has the capital ever managed to have as many sides in the top league in the past?

Will it reflect that investing in London sides is a wise move as attracting players to play in the capital from around the world is so much easier than getting them to move to the likes of Newcastle?
It's actually not that big a stretch to count Watford as a London side. Although it is outside of London the tube goes there so to me that more or less makes it London.

It's actually not that big a stretch to count Watford as a London side. Although it is outside of London the tube goes there so to me that more or less makes it London.
Sorry, but I am not 'avvin that.
It isn't in the Met Police District, so it counts as the sticks. ;)

Funny enough Fulham weren't there although the wee team from Fulham (Chelsea) were!!

EDIT - Forgot to say, QPR have a chance but Fulham are nailed on and will probably break post-war scoring records at the same time!
Yes, I actually checked and noticed that.
I see that Millwall and Charlton both went down that season.

The London sides enjoy a big advantage over other sides, both in terms of players attraction and financially. The most expensive season tickets by far are at the London clubs, due to higher earnings.

Warburton doing well but that seems to be his bread and butter taking one of the smaller sides in the league on a tight budget and over achieving

All those London based team and not one has London in the club name. I've never understood that.

You have:
Real MADRID
MANCHESTER Utd
Inter MILAN
Spartak MOSCOW
Bayern MUNICH

Just to name a few.

Would be quite something seeing Lee Wallace in the EPL at 35. Would be pleased for him but QPR would break all records and none of them to be proud of.

Sorry, but I am not 'avvin that.
It isn't in the Met Police District, so it counts as the sticks. ;)
It does give weight to your theory of investing in London clubs and being able to attract better players though, if transport links are just as easy to Watford as London proper?

Yes, the city of London may be separate, but it is inside the MPD.
The sticks ain't London.
So no Watford or Luton.
That's my point. It isn't. That's like saying San Marino is in Italy. It isn't.

So you need to pick a different definition of what London is.

I always have to say "Rangers de Glasgow" or "Rangers de Escocia" in South America. Slightly different, I know, but it helps clarify things a little.

It does give weight to your theory of investing in London clubs and being able to attract better players though, if transport links are just as easy to Watford as London proper?
Yes it strengthens it.
But it doesn't make Watford a London club.
I don’t think the fine people of Watford would disagree.

Marco Silva really needed success to maintain his credibility as a top tier manager, and it looks like he’s going to do it with Fulham. Very interesting story, given how badly things went from Watford then the poison chalice of Everton!

Larger league back then!

There was a few times between 00-10 Manchester United under Sir Alex were the only non-London based team in the top 10, although probably the best supported in London B-D

The top 4 clubs in London, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham and even Fulham (or were?) are already under billionaire owners and there isn't much attraction in a Palace, Brentford, QPR etc.

The London sides enjoy a big advantage over other sides, both in terms of players attraction and financially. The most expensive season tickets by far are at the London clubs, due to higher earnings.
I remember when you could comfortably stroll into a half full Stanford Bridge,or Craven Cottage back in 1970,for about 5 Bob.Them were the days my friend ;)

Not by anyone with any sense
Have you never been out of Scotland? We are known as Glasgow Rangers everywhere I have ever been. Once the person realises you are from Scotland they may ask Rangers or Them, but if they are talking in general, we are called Glasgow Rangers, as in the song “Glasgow Rangers Champions oh way oh way oh way oh”, or “there’s not a team like the Glasgow Rangers, no not one, and there never shall be one.”

Back